PDA

View Full Version : Virtual Reality: Room Design Contest - CLOSED

v0rtex
02-02-2010, 02:16 AM
v0rtex
PRESENTS

Virtual Reality Survival Challenge
Room Design Contest

http://i168.photobucket.com/albums/u180/v0rtex2002/LBP%20Virtual%20Reality%20Survival%20Challenge/VRDS-000.jpg

From the very beginning, as I designed the first release of the Virtual Reality Survival Challenge, I had in mind a design contest for the rooms. The design of the level is deliberately very dynamic and modular, allowing for new rooms to be added and inserted at will.

So without further ado, I present the Room Design Challenge!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
:star::star::star::star::star::star::star::star::s tar::star::star::star::star::star::star::star::sta r::star::star:
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The entries have been published, and judging is open!

Go here to see the level showcase (http://www.lbpcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?23821-CONTEST-ENTRIES-Virtual-Reality-Survival-Challenge-Room-Design-Contest)

And here to participate in the judging of the entries. (http://www.surveymonkey.com/s/D2YCWXB)

:star::star::star::star::star::star::star::star::s tar::star::star::star::star::star::star::star::sta r::star::star:

The Prizes

First Place: $10 US PSN Card (or regional equivalent) + 500 XP*
Second Place: 500 XP*
Third Place: 250 XP*
All Valid Runners Up: Will have their rooms included in a (series of?) final published level(s).

* XP is contingent on the return of the LBPC Experience system, or an equivalent.

The Rules

All entries must be completed and published by Sunday, February 14, 2010 Sunday, February 28, 2010. Contest now closed.

Entries must be based off of the shared template room (as described here (http://www.lbpcentral.com/forums/entry.php?995-Design-Contest)).
No deviation from the exterior size and shape of the template rooms will be allowed (this is vital to the design of the emitter/demitter engine in the overall level).
No Dark Matter. Period. The rooms must be able to move and drop freely.
Modifications made to final entries, in order to make them usable or compatible with my room deployment system, will be at my discretion.

Full rules and instructions can be found on my Contest Blog (http://www.lbpcentral.com/forums/entry.php?995-Design-Contest).

All discussion should be kept to this thread.

So what do you say? Are you feeling creative?

And check out my new release of the Virtual Reality Survival Challenge here (http://www.lbpcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?22080-Virtual-Reality-Survival-Challenge-2-ALL-NEW-ROOMS%21%21).

SLS10
02-02-2010, 04:37 AM
Definitely going to make a room for this, Vortex. Sounds wicked cool.

Will you be releasing a template?

v0rtex
02-02-2010, 04:48 AM
Definitely going to make a room for this, Vortex. Sounds wicked cool.

Will you be releasing a template?Yep - All in the Contest Blog details. Basically you have to play my new level and find the key. There's a locked level already published with a template room in it. Let me know if you have any trouble finding the key (I'm willing to give very overt hints, if asked :P)

RCIX
02-02-2010, 04:52 AM
I'll enter! i might have a friend help me though. If he does decide to help me make one, is it ok if that be entered as a separate entry?

Yep - All in the Contest Blog details. Basically you have to play my new level and find the key. There's a locked level already published with a template room in it. Let me know if you have any trouble finding the key (I'm willing to give very overt hints, if asked :P)

Yes please! :D

Morgana25
02-02-2010, 04:52 AM
I found the key! Horray :)

v0rtex
02-02-2010, 04:56 AM
I'll enter! i might have a friend help me though. If he does decide to help me make one, is it ok if that be entered as a separate entry?

Yes please! :D
Fine by me. The more the merrier - as long as your friend doesn't mind you taking the credit. Or if you want to enter as a team, I'll split the prizes up for you (though if you win first prize, you'd have to decide amongst yourselves who gets the PSN card).

@Morgana: Yay!!

Edit: Sorry - didn't notice you were asking for the hint:
In the stone room, go left after you get to the top with the sponge/piston elevator. Behind that wall you should trigger some dissolve that will drop the key on you. (There's also a bunch of points that come after the key, but they seem to get bunched up, so if you jump a couple of times right after you get the key, then you get an extra point bonus too ;))

lbpholic
02-02-2010, 01:30 PM
I am so entering this i loved the first one this would be awesome

Mod5.0
02-02-2010, 01:51 PM
I feel like trying this but doubt I'll win...
I really want some money though.

Doopz
02-02-2010, 03:45 PM
Yeah same i like money but... i won't win :(

waD_Delma
02-03-2010, 04:46 AM
I am entering this and I have some questions.
Which packs can I use?
Can I change music?
Can I use explosions? Emit them? (bomb survival room :idea:)
Can I change the end platforms while playing room?
Can I emit dark matter?
Can I make more than one room? Can I make two rooms that shares input from logic (emit dissolve + key -> destroy it next room)?

v0rtex
02-03-2010, 05:51 AM
See my replies in red:

I am entering this and I have some questions.
Which packs can I use?
Let's see... I have the POTC, Monster, Valentine's, MGS, Creator 1, I think that's all.

Can I change music?
I thought about changing music. Let me get back to you on this, it won't be difficult to set up. So yes, but not yet. :)

Can I use explosions? Emit them? (bomb survival room :idea:)
No, sorry.

Can I change the end platforms while playing room?
That would be tricky. The next room has to have the floor openings for which ever platforms your room engages. We could talk about it. That might be a fun idea.

Can I emit dark matter?
No! And I need to go back and make sure I am very specific about that in the blog instructions... no DM anywhere in the rooms. They need to be completely free to drop down.

Can I make more than one room? Can I make two rooms that shares input from logic (emit dissolve + key -> destroy it next room)?
You can make as many entries as you like, but room-to-room shared logic isn't possible. Sorry.

RCIX
02-03-2010, 08:12 AM
I just had an idea for a level that got tougher (as in, platforms and stuff dissolved) the more it got dispensed but that would have to be coordinated with you. What do you think?

Haven't taken a look at the level template, but something just occured to me: having a mag key switch which activates when time is running out would be nice.

Or maybe that should all be in VR Survival Challenge 3 along with a bigger room if possible? :):):)

waD_Delma
02-03-2010, 12:30 PM
How about "shadow of colossus" sound effects? and how can I emit floating score bubbles?

v0rtex
02-03-2010, 01:42 PM
I just had an idea for a level that got tougher (as in, platforms and stuff dissolved) the more it got dispensed but that would have to be coordinated with you. What do you think?

Haven't taken a look at the level template, but something just occured to me: having a mag key switch which activates when time is running out would be nice.

Or maybe that should all be in VR Survival Challenge 3 along with a bigger room if possible? :):):)
That could be interesting, but we'd definitely have to talk about it and how it would be judged (doesn't seem fair to other contestants if you get special logic, y'know?) But like you said perhaps we could work on it for VRSC3. As for the bigger room... I've toyed with the idea and scrapped it. This room is the size it is because it fits into a a camera zone at full zoom out. If you make it bigger, you have to start panning the camera and changing the zones and angles, and then you can't guarantee that the timer will always be in sight (which is vital). So... um... No.

How about "shadow of colossus" sound effects? and how can I emit floating score bubbles?No, sorry... I don't have the SoC pack. :( And floating points... what do you mean? I'm just not understanding the question... They either have to be free standing or glued to the room's surroundings.

rtm223
02-03-2010, 02:03 PM
As for the bigger room... I've toyed with the idea and scrapped it. This room is the size it is because it fits into a a camera zone at full zoom out. If you make it bigger, you have to start panning the camera and changing the zones and angles, and then you can't guarantee that the timer will always be in sight (which is vital). So... um... No.

Actually, that's not entirely true, if you can create a smooth 2d tracking system then attach a follow=0 camera to it, you can place anything you want on a HUD that would be fixed relative to the camera. But it's probably not something that is actually worth doing ;)

I may have a bosh at this. As my current project is ever-so-slightly similar to this conceptually, I might be able to nab a couple of obstacles, VR them up and provide you with a room :)

waD_Delma
02-03-2010, 03:05 PM
And floating points... what do you mean? I'm just not understanding the question... They either have to be free standing or glued to the room's surroundings.
EMITTING floating bubbles.
How I publish the room?

v0rtex
02-03-2010, 03:52 PM
Actually, that's not entirely true, if you can create a smooth 2d tracking system then attach a follow=0 camera to it, you can place anything you want on a HUD that would be fixed relative to the camera. But it's probably not something that is actually worth doing ;)
Yeah - thermo is already a huge problem with all the moving pieces, so probably not. But t hanks for the idea anyway. :)

I may have a bosh at this. As my current project is ever-so-slightly similar to this conceptually, I might be able to nab a couple of obstacles, VR them up and provide you with a room :)Cool! I can't wait to see what you come up with!

EMITTING floating bubbles.
Well... I guess you don't. Just really cannot use DM in these. If you can figure another way to achieve the desired effect, great. But no dark matter. Sorry.

How I publish the room?
You can just publish the whole level (copyable) and I will grab it and copy it to my moon. If you want to lock it too (I don't think it's necessary, but some people prefer it), just send me the key first.

Let me know when you've got it ready.

v0rtex
02-03-2010, 04:56 PM
My apologies for double posting, but I wanted everyone to see that I've added some more info on internal room logic to the contest blog (http://www.lbpcentral.com/forums/entry.php?995-Design-Contest).

waD_Delma
02-03-2010, 05:30 PM
My room has been published.
Name: vrsc - room design contest - my entry
PSN: WA_delmaw

v0rtex
02-03-2010, 05:51 PM
My room has been published.
Name: vrsc - room design contest - my entry
PSN: WA_delmaw
Cool! Thanks! I will look at it later tonight (I'm at work right now and really should be doing THAT instead of THIS ;))

ViniciusBR11
02-04-2010, 12:36 AM
Im in!
I PM you (via PSN and LBPCentral) when i done!

ViniciusBR11
02-04-2010, 12:58 AM
srry by the double post (idk if it is allowed)
but can i use glitch materials? (like glass sponge or my clear material (http://www.lbpcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?22161-How-to-make-any-material-be-like-a-mirror&p=384739))

v0rtex
02-04-2010, 02:29 AM
srry by the double post (idk if it is allowed)
but can i use glitch materials? (like glass sponge or my clear material (http://www.lbpcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?22161-How-to-make-any-material-be-like-a-mirror&p=384739))Sure. Just not the layer glitch. :)

EDIT: And no... double posting is frowned upon here. There is an Edit Post button at the bottom of your post. Like I just did! ;)

RCIX
02-04-2010, 03:37 AM
I'll be along to get working on this in a few days, i'm doing my own survival challenge level right now!

Regarding the note at the end of your blog; what if you just have contestants work around those spots in the floor then you can make modifications as necessary to pave over the unused ones?

ViniciusBR11
02-04-2010, 11:21 AM
Sure. Just not the layer glitch. :)

EDIT: And no... double posting is frowned upon here. There is an Edit Post button at the bottom of your post. Like I just did! ;)

ok
and i agree with you of the not use of the 3D layer Glitch
Is you not only breaking the contest rules, you level will be VERY crazy

v0rtex
02-08-2010, 03:50 AM
Hey just a quick update / reminder:

There's only one week left to get your entries published!

Deadline is 02-14-2010

So far I have only one official entry and a few idle threats from interested participants.

Also, when you publish your entry, please include the keyword VRSC somewhere in the title, and your name/PSN either in the title or in the description. If you have more than one entry, feel free to combine them in one level. And make the level copyable (if you feel you must lock it, please make sure I get a key). Then, either PM me or post here.

Thanks!

OH, and I got a PM the other day with some more questions that I thought I'd share with everyone:

- Is it possible to submerge the room in water as long as the water level goes back to zero when the room despawns?
I've played with a version that uses water. Unfortunately, there is a good deal of logic underneath the play area that would have to be moved in order to accommodate this, and then the deployment slide gets in the way (don't ask - just trust me on this). So I'm sorry, but no.

- Can I use the Paintinator as long as It's removed before the next room drops?
Yes. In fact (I'll have to run a test, but...) you shouldn't even need to remove it. If it is emitted with the room, it should be demitted with the room. The exception to that is stuff that's emitted BY the room, after the room is emitted. Also, bear in mind that a significant judging factor will be long-term playability - that is... when the timer gets shorter, is the room still playable (alternate paths, etc). Just sayin'
http://www.lbpcentral.com/forums/../images/smilies/1/smile.gif

- Is there a thermo limit on the room? The Room I'm planning needs a Randomizer as well as assorted other logic, so It might be quite thermo-heavy.
I have not set a thermo limit. The thermo that gets maxed on this level is the moving objects thermo, because nothing is held down with dark matter. This ends up limiting the number of rooms possible (in v1 I maxed out at 9, v2 has only 7 and the thermo is completely full), so the other thermos really end up becoming a non-factor.

mistervista
02-09-2010, 12:13 AM
Is there any way I can get the room template Vortex as keys do not work for me. I've had that key bug for months now so it's no use sending me one or having one to collect in a level, they just don't work. I need another way to get the room template please.

v0rtex
02-09-2010, 12:54 AM
Yeah - my 7 day Cool Pages run is finished anyway... I'll just unlock it altogether. :)

rtm223
02-09-2010, 01:10 AM
So far I have only one official entry and a few idle threats from interested participants. Hmmm, my idle threat might stay idle. 14th is a tough deadline for me...

[/FONT][/B][/COLOR] - Can I use the Paintinator as long as It's removed before the next room drops?
Yes. In fact (I'll have to run a test, but...) you shouldn't even need to remove it. If it is emitted with the room, it should be demitted with the room. I think the paintenator platform will be demitted, but a sackboy with paintenator in hand will still keep it. Might need some kind of X's emitted onto the exit platforms.

The thermo that gets maxed on this level is the moving objects thermo, because nothing is held down with dark matter. This ends up limiting the number of rooms possible (in v1 I maxed out at 9, v2 has only 7 and the thermo is completely full), so the other thermos really end up becoming a non-factor.
I can get around your moving objects thermo limitation if you are interested. Probably not best for this, but if you decide to do a new version for yourself, I can help you pack plenty more into the level.

edit - it's too late for me to care about my sloppy text colouring. You'll have to deal with it :(

Morgana25
02-09-2010, 01:33 AM
You know I started playing around with a room the other night and it's really hard! Getting a good pattern, flow, multiple paths. I can't wait to see what everyone comes up with. I'm going try and make one yet though. :)

v0rtex
02-09-2010, 05:30 AM
See my responses below:

Hmmm, my idle threat might stay idle. 14th is a tough deadline for me...

Well... I may have to move the deadline anyway, since I'm not seeing a lot of interest now. I really thought two weeks was more than enough to create a single room (they're pretty small). Oh well.

I think the paintenator platform will be demitted, but a sackboy with paintenator in hand will still keep it. Might need some kind of X's emitted onto the exit platforms.

Hmmm... good point.

I can get around your moving objects thermo limitation if you are interested. Probably not best for this, but if you decide to do a new version for yourself, I can help you pack plenty more into the level.

Yeah - I've thought a lot about this. I'd be interested in your thoughts, but:

A) The whole concept is lost if the are emitted in place. They need to drop onto you and the danger of being squished if you're in the wrong place needs to be present, and

B) I cannot figure how the demitter would work. Right now they are emitted and demitted into the same two spaces. The demitted rooms drop onto a giant glass slide and move out of the way to the end of the level so the next one can be demitted.
edit - it's too late for me to care about my sloppy text colouring. You'll have to deal with it :(
LOL - No worries. :)

rtm223
02-09-2010, 10:24 AM
Ahh I know we talked about emitting directly on top of the playing area and yes, the issue here really is the points blocking respawn. However, I have a better method.

Each room is glued to a piece of dissolve and then that is glued to dark matter. The dissolve has a mag switch on it, positioned so that if the room is emitted in the correct position to be the current active room, the dissolve instantly dissolves and the room drops down.

If emitted elsewhere (demitted), the dissolve stays, so you have an object entirely glued to dark matter. Only one of your rooms will ever contribute to the moving objects thermo at any given time.

v0rtex
02-09-2010, 01:25 PM
Hmmm... That has promise. But again... what to do with the demitted rooms? You're basically relegating me to creating a separate emitter/demitter rig for each room. Hmmmm... very interesting (man I wish I wasn't at work right now!).

rtm223
02-09-2010, 01:39 PM
No you just emit each room as normal, but glued to dark matter. Where they are demitted in play, you have a single magnetic key that will trigger the dissolve. Where they are demitted elsewhere there is no key.

The only change you have to make to the main setup is the addition of a mag key. Updating each room is simple. Unless you mean that the unused rooms are demitted into the same spot and just fall out of the way? In that case you need some tweaking lol. Just changing piston lengths should do it.

v0rtex
02-09-2010, 01:42 PM
Yeah - they're all on the same piston/mechanism. Will be a major rework. But may be worth the effort if I can increase the room count.

EDIT: Alright... on my lunch break I did a little proof of concept on your idea. Added the dissolve and DM to each of my rooms in my v2 design studio, and recaptured almost HALF of my thermo!! Then I set up a quick/dirty demitter rig to test it, and it works brilliantly. Amazing! Fantastic!

What's more, I've devised a way to modify the current design with very few changes and make this work. See the problem I was still having is that the demits are staggered... You're not actaully demitting the room that was last emitted, you're demitting the one prior, so that bit of DM was going to get in the way (I had it as a long horizontal bar, the width of the room) and I would have to stagger the placement of them. Then it hit me, that the size and amount of DM is insignificant, so if I match up small DM peices with the mag keys for the risers, they should never interfere with / overlap one another (since, by design, the same riser cannot be used for exit as for entrance). Furthermore, your assertion that the demitted rooms should have no key to trigger the dissolve is moot. In fact, I want that second key so when it is demitted, it will drop away from the DM and onto the slide for disposal. Wait though... will that cause it to overheat in play mode? It might. OK - Back to the drawing board. But I'm excited, as I think this can actually work to nearly (or more than) double the number of rooms I can include!

Thanks rtm - you da man!

rtm223
02-09-2010, 06:47 PM
so that bit of DM was going to get in the way Shouldn't do, you can emit DM over the top of other bits of DM. it's only if a moving part intersects with something that collision detection takes place. Emitting dark matter and object glued to dark matter over the top of each other is fair game.

In fact, I want that second key so when it is demitted, it will drop away from the DM and onto the slide for disposal.

If you drop them into a big crushy disposal unit, you should be fine, but IMO it is simpler to just leave them glued down an keep them static, spacing them out to different areas of the level.

v0rtex
02-09-2010, 06:58 PM
Replies....

Shouldn't do, you can emit DM over the top of other bits of DM. it's only if a moving part intersects with something that collision detection takes place. Emitting dark matter and object glued to dark matter over the top of each other is fair game.

Aaaah... Did not know that. Thanks!

If you drop them into a big crushy disposal unit, you should be fine, but IMO it is simpler to just leave them glued down an keep them static, spacing them out to different areas of the level.

Well, I don't know about easier. Since they are all on one piston on one piece of cardboard, it will be interesting to break them up into separate pistons, but I wouldn't say easier, per se. ;)

Duffluc
02-10-2010, 12:59 AM
Hey v0rtex.

Well, my entry is done and published! It's named...

VRSC: Duffluc's contest entry!

It's in the south pole of my levels page :) The level is copyable and unlocked so you won't need a key.

I hope you like it!

EDIT: I fixed up the problem you pointed out and republished the level. Tell me if it's any better!

v0rtex
02-10-2010, 05:25 AM
Cool - I'll grab it tomorrow at lunch probably (or tomorrow night). Thanks!

RCIX
02-10-2010, 10:16 AM
Sorry, gotta bow out. Simply too busy to participate now what with real life and all the other contests/projects i'm a part of :(

v0rtex
02-11-2010, 06:16 AM
OK rtm... I tried your suggestions, to fantastic results:

Here is a shot in create mode of the current, published VRSC2:
http://i168.photobucket.com/albums/u180/v0rtex2002/LBP%20Virtual%20Reality%20Survival%20Challenge/IMG_0086.jpg
Note the very full thermo.

And now, a copy of it, modified to utilize separate emitter pistons (14 of them, since that was the threshold on all the rest of my logic; although it is currently only using 7, as that's the number of rooms in VRSC2). The room layout is exactly the same (and I playtested it all the way up to max speed) with the exception of the addition of the DM/Dissolve piece to hold them static.
http://i168.photobucket.com/albums/u180/v0rtex2002/LBP%20Virtual%20Reality%20Survival%20Challenge/IMG_0084.jpg
Note the savings of nearly six bars of thermo!!

That should be enough for at least three, maybe four more rooms (maybe even more, depending on which thermo goes next)!

I really must applaud you and thank you for your wise tutelage.

Morgana25
02-11-2010, 06:28 AM
Wow - just wow....Seriously awesome development rtm! I'm so excited to see how far you can can take this now v0rtex!

rtm223
02-11-2010, 12:10 PM
I take it you are keeping the rooms out of play stuck to the dark matter still? The word simpler is a little misleading TBH, it's more work, but is easier to ensure that the system won't fail as you know you will never exceed the moving objects thermo with a single room, so overheating won't be a problem. It's actually convenient in your case that you are emitting everything, normally a technique like this would require a lot of destruction within your level!

v0rtex
02-11-2010, 12:24 PM
I take it you are keeping the rooms out of play stuck to the dark matter still? The word simpler is a little misleading TBH, it's more work, but is easier to ensure that the system won't fail as you know you will never exceed the moving objects thermo with a single room, so overheating won't be a problem. It's actually convenient in your case that you are emitting everything, normally a technique like this would require a lot of destruction within your level!
Yep - I decided you were right, and that the separate piston/emitter rigs were necessary if the change was to be effective. Had to rearrange things a bit to make space for all the demitted rooms, but in the end that was also a positive - my logic had been spread throughout the level, now it all resides in one relatively small section. Works great - thanks once more!

rtm223
02-11-2010, 06:26 PM
No thank you. I've only done cursory testing on this method before, it's good to have an unwitting guinea pig to test it out before I go wholesale on it in my own level creation!

v0rtex
02-12-2010, 02:57 AM
No thank you. I've only done cursory testing on this method before, it's good to have an unwitting guinea pig to test it out before I go wholesale on it in my own level creation!LOL - well alrighty then.

EDIT: I've added a poll... Does everyone need more time to get entries done? So far I've only got 3 entries and I know of two more in the works. I'm willing to extend the deadline for the sake of more entries (if you've already submitted your entry, you would be allowed to tweak them, or of course you could make more).

Drakora
02-12-2010, 04:27 PM
I would enter, but, alas, no MGS pack.

v0rtex
02-12-2010, 05:44 PM
I would enter, but, alas, no MGS pack.Aahh.. I never thought of this. I can maybe mock up a version of the design studio that only uses basic materials. I just won't have access to my PS3 for a few days. If we decide to extend the deadline, then I will do this and let you know!
:)

ViniciusBR11
02-13-2010, 06:07 PM
v0rtex, we did need 2 make a emitting system for emit the rooms?

v0rtex
02-14-2010, 05:59 AM
v0rtex, we did need 2 make a emitting system for emit the rooms?
Nope... not at all necessary. I will place the room into my room deployment engine and publish a level (or levels) with all the entries.

v0rtex
02-14-2010, 06:43 PM
OK - So, based on the poll results, as well as the fact that I don't have enough entries yet to make a full level, I am moving the deadline to Sunday, February 28 - two more weeks. For those of you who rushed to get an entry in for today... first of all: Thank You! Secondly, my apologies... I really thought this would be enough time and that the interest would be higher. Hopefully this increased time will give some good competition for you. In the meantime, feel free to tweak your current entries or create more!

Thanks everyone!

Gilgamesh
02-15-2010, 07:49 PM
Thanks for extending the deadline! I was too busy with the OC Contest to be able to make a proper room for this contest too, but at least it gave me time to narrow down my ideas to a single one. :idea:

v0rtex
02-15-2010, 10:59 PM
Thanks for extending the deadline! I was too busy with the OC Contest to be able to make a proper room for this contest too, but at least it gave me time to narrow down my ideas to a single one. :idea:
Cool - looking forward to your entry!!

Gilgamesh
02-17-2010, 03:01 AM
Alright, I'm done for my entry:

Name: VRSC - H.E.A.T.
PSN: Jirugameshi

A thinly veiled tribute to a certain level some people may be familiar with (and traumatized by). ;)

I've mostly kept the design simple, but getting the 14x multiplier while running the clock should be challenging enough.

v0rtex
02-17-2010, 05:24 AM
Alright, I'm done for my entry:

Name: VRSC - H.E.A.T.
PSN: Jirugameshi

A thinly veiled tribute to a certain level some people may be familiar with (and traumatized by). ;)

I've mostly kept the design simple, but getting the 14x multiplier while running the clock should be challenging enough.
Excellent! I'll take a look tomorrow night. Thanks!

v0rtex
02-21-2010, 01:12 PM
OK Folks... just a reminder that there's only one week left.

Eight of you indicated that you'd like the extension, but I've only seen one new room entry. I do hope some of you will find the time to get an entry in.

Also - to Drakon136 and anyone else who can't work with the template because of DLC materials - I forgot about this... I will get on it first thing this morning, and get a version of it published that uses only basic materials (sorry).

EDIT: OK - There's another version of the Design Studio published now (suffixed: [Vanilla Version]). Not strictly basic materials, but all story mode materials.

v0rtex
02-24-2010, 03:19 PM
Sorry to keep bumping this... Still haven't heard any stirring.

C'mon... they're so much fun to design, and they're so small and compact, it only takes a few minutes! :)

Sunday night at Midnight (CST).

comphermc
02-24-2010, 03:38 PM
I tried making one a while back, but I think it was too complex. If I find some time tonight, I'll give it a whirl again (which is likely due to class being canceled). Maybe I'll even figure out how to make it work!

jwwphotos
02-24-2010, 03:52 PM
AArrgh So sorry V0rtex, just been so busy with other things and had to make a new caption contest set this week with Zwollie exiting the building. He was going to do the next several since I was doing them during his arm issue. So I was instantly behind! :( Ohhh well..

I might copy the room down and take a look this evening though.. However off hand I have no ideas... the rooms in your last one were so much fun!! :)

v0rtex
02-24-2010, 03:56 PM
I tried making one a while back, but I think it was too complex. If I find some time tonight, I'll give it a whirl again (which is likely due to class being canceled). Maybe I'll even figure out how to make it work!

Yeah - simpler really is better with these - that's why I don't think they should take too long. Several of those that I've received are quite complex though, so you won't be alone. :)

AArrgh So sorry V0rtex, just been so busy with other things and had to make a new caption contest set this week with Zwollie exiting the building. He was going to do the next several since I was doing them during his arm issue. So I was instantly behind! :( Ohhh well..

I might copy the room down and take a look this evening though.. However off hand I have no ideas... the rooms in your last one were so much fun!! :)
Oh no worries... I have entries - just not enough yet to make much of a level out of them. I just wanted to remind (read: nag) people: Time's a runnin' out!

If you get one done, great... but please don't let it interfere with your responsibilities. ;)

Morgana25
02-24-2010, 03:56 PM
I'm glad I got mine done early.... :D

v0rtex
02-24-2010, 04:00 PM
I'm glad I got mine done early.... :D
yeah - but Joey's needed a tweak. Will I be able to get it from him?

jwwphotos
02-24-2010, 05:07 PM
yeah - but Joey's needed a tweak. Will I be able to get it from him?

I would think so, maybe just leave him a visitors message.

Morgana25
02-24-2010, 05:09 PM
yea - he has his - remind him to change it - I told him about it but he's probably forgotten. :)

jwwphotos
02-24-2010, 05:14 PM
yea - he has his - remind him to change it - I told him about it but he's probably forgotten. :)

What's funny when I first read V0rtex's post, I was thinking that Joey's Duurp oozes the statement "Ooh nooes! I need tweAkiNg!" :)

I mean that in a really good way.. one of the most hilarious characters in LBP!! :)

Morgana25
02-24-2010, 05:26 PM
rofl - that he is jww - between the look, the voice and the way Joey makes him freak out he's one of the greats for sure.

OT - it's that microphone stand sticker from Buz that's the culprit on Joey's - I told him that. If he doesn't get it you can always go to a friends pod that has the pack and pull the sticker manually.

comphermc
02-25-2010, 11:58 AM
Poop. I got distracted with my own level for about 8 hours... alas, I didn't get to work on this. :(

Tonight maybe...?

v0rtex
02-27-2010, 07:30 PM
Okay everybody... this is the final nag note.

You have approx. 33 hours left from the time of this post. All you 8 people who asked for an extension, please have your submissions in by midnight tomorrow (Sunday) CST. And if not, oh well... it will certainly be much less work than I anticipated putting the level together.

I've had one new submission in the two weeks since we extended the deadline.:grr:

jwwphotos
02-27-2010, 07:37 PM
Sorry V0rtex... :( I hope I didn't cause you any grief, but I intended on trying this out, but just can't seem to come up with anything I felt as fun as what you already have.

I may give it another look yet today and still really appreciate the opportunity.

v0rtex
02-27-2010, 10:53 PM
Ah - no worries... sorry for the whiny post everyone! I was just frustrated. I'm over it now. It'll still be awesome with the excellent entries I have received.

EDIT: Also, for what it's worth... I have no idea who voted for what on the poll. :P

v0rtex
03-02-2010, 12:46 PM
Right... So the contest is now closed.

I will get a level together with all the room entries and get back to you all with the winners. Perhaps I could recruit some of you who had voted for an extension but were unable to get a room completed (again - I really have no idea who you are, so no pressure here - well... except jww and comphy, as they kinda tipped their hands :p)...
But yeah, I'd kinda like to have some guest judges. If not, that's cool too... I'll just pick the winners.

comphermc
03-02-2010, 12:49 PM
Sorry man. I dropped the ball bigtime. :(

Gilgamesh
03-02-2010, 01:46 PM

Well, if the ball falls in water it'll just float right back up. :p

Also, I would like to apologize in advance to everyone who ends up dying horribly in the room I made. And sorry you couldn't get more entries v0rtex, but look on the bright side, at least it'll make the judging easier. Imagine if you had gotten as many entries as the CC10? It would take months just to get the runners up, let alone the winning entry. :p

jwwphotos
03-02-2010, 02:43 PM
If you want help judging, I could do you that favor since I sorta got distracted with the Olympics over LBP!! ;)

Morgana25
03-02-2010, 02:54 PM
Well, if the ball falls in water it'll just float right back up. :p

Only if you use sponge on the logic ;) *all rights go to CCubbage

Well, I'm just looking forward to playing more rooms. I can't get enough of this game style. I'm sure yours will fry my brain Gilgamesh... your work usually does ;)

v0rtex
03-02-2010, 03:19 PM
LOL - No worries...

Also, I would like to apologize in advance to everyone who ends up dying horribly in the room I made. And sorry you couldn't get more entries v0rtex, but look on the bright side, at least it'll make the judging easier. Imagine if you had gotten as many entries as the CC10? It would take months just to get the runners up, let alone the winning entry. :p
Yes, there's always a silver lining. I'll admit, I was hoping for somewhere in between the two though.

If you want help judging, I could do you that favor since I sorta got distracted with the Olympics over LBP!! ;)
I know what you mean... I spent so much time watching the Olympics. I'd surely love the assistance. I'll look you up when I've got something ready.

Well, I'm just looking forward to playing more rooms. I can't get enough of this game style. I'm sure yours will fry my brain Gilgamesh... your work usually does ;)
Thanks!
Gilg's will make you cry.
FYI - I am working on two new versions of this - outside of the contest version. I hope others share your zeal for this - I don't wanna outstay my welcome.

v0rtex
03-12-2010, 04:59 AM
OK - The entries are finally published! Sorry for the delays everyone. The OP has been updated, but here are some links for you:

Go here to see the new level showcase thread (http://www.lbpcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?23821-CONTEST-ENTRIES-Virtual-Reality-Survival-Challenge-Room-Design-Contest)

And here to participate in judging the entries (http://www.surveymonkey.com/s/D2YCWXB)