View Full Version : Yes, use F4F The Secrets Of Red Canyon 2 - Trashed Trains And Dangerous Paths
04-05-2010, 09:03 PM
The Secrets Of Red Canyon 2 - Trashed Trains And Dangerous PathsRedShadow_88
http://i42.tinypic.com/vrslt4.jpgJump through dark caves and try to hide the traps.
You'll find some funny things and I included many easter eggs, so try to find them! You can collect the train of "Red Canyon 1" in 6 different prices. Also uses 3D Background.
Hope you'll enjoy! Many feedback would be awesome!!
04-06-2010, 02:30 AM
I guess I'll be the first!
Overall a solid, fun level. Truthfully, it got better and more interesting as it went along. I was actually happy at the fake ending (more level to play!)... and then immediately depressed when the real ending followed immediately. I gave you 5/5 stars. Specifics:
1. Beautiful visuals throughout most of the level. Although the start of the level is a little bland (other than the flickering lights... nice touch), I was amazed by the rows of power lines and the nice use of the 3d glitch.
2. I like your use of switches and bombs for simple puzzle platforming. I particularly liked one puzzle where you flip two or three different switches to change the shape of the rocks (right before the three cacti).
3. Some of your areas that use multiple layers are AWESOME. I like the ones where you grab to decend the level and a later one where multiple pillars block your path, so you have to jump through all three layers. Very slick execution!
1. The one section where the sections of rock that you're standing on fall down multiple times to form tunnels (hope that's enough description) didn't seem to work right for me. I got stuck for about 15 seconds until the piece dropped a few more times. You may want to have someone play it again in front of you. I was running back and forth and may have triggered something earlier than I was supposed to.
2. When you start the level, you can't see yourself and there is something in the room that can kill you. (Candle?). I died twice trying to press different directions until my character appeared. Not the best way to start a fun level!
3. A few areas had some (possibly) frustrating jumps that you could easily fix. Although I figured them out, others may stop trying. First, some light may help at the jump where you have to grab the skull. On my TV it was too dark to figure out where the land stopped and the hole began. Second, when jumping from the mine cart that's hanging from the rope, I couldn't tell that I was supposed to climb down the sponge wall. Maybe an arrow or some floating point bubbles? Third (big one), when jumping onto the cart before the long train ride over the fire, you're jumping onto the cart from behind a wall. If you misjudge where the platform (behind the wall) ends, you fall into the fire. May be nice to extend the platform out from behind the wall so that you can see yourself before you have to jump.
1. It seems like you meant for there to be a story here, but it wasn't very clear. A little more story/purpose for why I'm going through the level would be great.
2. For some reason I really wanted to wake up the sleeping cactus. If you have thermometer left, that might be a fun little addition! :)
If you have a chance, please give me feedback on my new level: TRIAL of SEASONS - SUMMER: LINK (http://www.lbpcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?24931-TRIAL-of-SEASONS-SUMMER). Thanks!
04-06-2010, 02:36 AM
One more thing! Your lava flows will look 100x better if you extend the length of the piston and have it "snap" UP, not DOWN. Give it a try and see how you like it.
04-06-2010, 04:46 AM
Looks like im second.LOL.
Alright, this level was very well designed. The theme was captured very well and I liked the change in materials in many parts. It worked well.
But im sorry to say, but there is some negatives :(. THe gamplay was good but very predictable. You could added some more detail into the things you blow up, it looks a little bland. The gamplay was my main problem in this level. It just didnt capture my attention. The mine cart bit was good though, especially when you flip it and still hold on. THere is one little tiny mistake which I wasnt so worried about. That part with the bouncy things, it say "Do you" I think you mean Are you. But if not sorry. The lava part was good, but the running down lava could of looked a little better. But overall it was a good level.
MAke a few changes here and there and it could be a 4 star level. I enjoyed very much though. Oh and just a little thought, maybe have another music track.
If you can, please check out my level and give some feedback. THANKS LITLED
04-06-2010, 06:13 PM
Thank you a lot! I'll improve everything you mentioned. Your feedbacks will follow in the next days.
04-08-2010, 06:08 PM
I'll add some hints and lights. Sleeping cactus wakes up. ;D
Sickivionkeys feedback comes tomorrow!
04-08-2010, 09:15 PM
I played this the weekend and i have to say that it was really good. The concept was very interesting and the game play kept me interested. Love the canyon look. 5 Stars and hearted, keep up the good work, looking forward to seeing more levels from you. :p
04-08-2010, 09:40 PM
Hoping for an improvement on the last one , which was in personal opinion good, but visually very messy.
I still look forward to playing.
04-08-2010, 09:53 PM
I'll try to remember to give another playthrough. I'd like to see the changes you've made.
04-08-2010, 10:05 PM
I played this one today. I think it's a pretty solid level. The platforming is good,and you have some pretty good visuals. There were a couple of spots I thought could use a little tweaking, but all in all really nice level. Nice work!!
could you give feedback on my LBP Paint Factory?
04-09-2010, 09:37 AM
Thanks a lot. I just made little improvements, the long train ride, were the elevator is. This jump I made easier.
Then the part with the sponge at the early start. And I'll give some more light at the skull.
And I'll give the first part of Red Canyon a better look. I think this part is visually much better than the first one.
04-10-2010, 03:09 PM
-First off, looks good. Nice shapes and use of brown thin layers over top of the red.
-The red arrow. Why is this here? Just for the prize bubble? First time I jumped down (because the arrow said so) and got the prize bubble down the bottom. Replayed it and it popped up when I walked over to the arrow.
-Big problem in my opinion here. after the skull + "red canyon" font, the camera angle still looks towards the left, when it should be to the right. After you pass the skull, it looks like a dead end! I kept jumping in the gas to try and continue. Maybe cut a bit out of the front layer so you can see sackboy.
-Minecart/R1 arrow. Nice work gassing the rope below because I fell. :P
-After the 2 swingy bolt thingees, you should close the small gap to the right of the springboard instead of using gas. More fair for the player.
-Cool how the rocket cart broke apart instead of just vanishing like most other emitted things.
-After the checkpoint through the window, I would add a small block on the end to stop the player running off the edge. (as it is on a downward slope) I did it twice!
- Lighting on the roof of the minecart ride looked great!
-Change the lava piston to flick the other way. It should pour out slowly then reset, not pour up. :o
-The lava on the ground could do with some subtle movement (vertical or horizontal) to give it a flow effect. Who puts a switch deep in a lava pit anyway? jk :P
-R1 warning on the minecart flip could come a bit later.
-Not sure what the small grey grab sponge was for or which path you are meant to take. I went for right like most players gravitate towards.
-Love the crawl space in the ceiling.
-Powerlines looked nice also. Good use of 3D glitch in the background. Sparks = great touch. Loved the moving MM cutscene thing. I did get a little stuck on that puzzle though, I thought it have something to do with the machines inside.
-Now, these arrows down the bottom. One green, one red. Like 99% of people I go with green because it symbolises GO and good, the opposite to red. I die from gas. What the?
-Another red arrow. This one lead to gas. I'm totally confused by these arrows now. :P
-I was totally expecting more after the fake ending. There's not even an obstacle!
I didn't find any easter eggs or bonus places during my play, and I was looking. :(
Some nice visuals and gameplay, but I cannot understand those darn arrows.
I expect layer switching problems with cave/canyon levels, but i never had any trouble in yours, kudos for that, I know it can be tricky!
Fix that camera/dead end, the arrows and add/change something to the end and I can rate 5 stars instead of 4! :D
(my f4f link in sig)
04-10-2010, 04:53 PM
The arrows should be something like a trap. Well, maybe it isn't good...^^'
Thanks for the big feedback. Helps a lot.
For all other players: It's on the cool page 5 in LBP at the moment!
04-12-2010, 08:57 AM
I really enjoyed this. Theres a couple of places where you need a hint. Right near the start there is a weird bit where you have to walk right on the middle layer only. Its impossible to see and I always quit here before i realised there was a gap. Other than that, some nice puzzling, good visuals, well done.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 4.1.12 Copyright © 2013 vBulletin Solutions, Inc. All rights reserved.