PDA

View Full Version : thermometer, why do you torture me!

Gondito
11-04-2008, 02:54 AM
ok im currently working on my third full level, its got an asian vibe to it, and it doesnt have that much to it yet, a couple thwompy things, and three small enemies, and my thermometer is half full on a large crater! im scared because i doubt i will be able to fit everything i want it the level. There arent many corners eaither, i tried to keep everything in a fairly rectangular shape, and not many corners, becuase i heard more corners take up more space, am i doing somthing that i shouldnt?

Code1337
11-04-2008, 02:58 AM
Just split everything up a little bit, it really helps.

Gondito
11-04-2008, 02:59 AM
Just split everything up a little bit, it really helps.

ok ive been doing that, but now that i think about it i could split up some more stuff, does glueing stuff together do anything? or unglueing?

Thee-Flash
11-04-2008, 03:07 AM
i had a custom build digger that i made not very big but it took up HEAPS of space for 1 item say i could fit 10 in maybe

Code1337
11-04-2008, 03:39 AM
ok ive been doing that, but now that i think about it i could split up some more stuff, does glueing stuff together do anything? or unglueing?
Yeah it does. Also, I've noticed that if you're level has lots of variation to it, the thermometer fills up a lot quicker.

Snrm
11-04-2008, 04:17 AM
i learned alot especially the craters

i never knew the size of craters mattered.

and by the way enemies take up lots of space

Gondito
11-04-2008, 03:52 PM
what do you mean by "lots of variations?

THE-FAT
11-04-2008, 05:34 PM
I heard that crater size doesn't matter. Also, do not use too many materials and keep your corners down. Other than that, yeah it is a bummer.

Snrm
11-04-2008, 06:16 PM
make your level have part 1 and 2 :) it seems like the only way out so you can make your level freely

Plasmavore
11-04-2008, 07:03 PM
The Thermometer is annoying.

Predator106
11-04-2008, 07:04 PM
what do you mean by "lots of variations?

In other words, try not to use metal, wood, different colors of wood, sponge, cardboard, dark matter, all in the same level. Instead, try to keep the only materials you use to a minimum in variation, in other words, keep it all the same theme. I.E. Use just wood and sponge, otherwise as soon as you put down a tiny piece of a different material, it has to cache it, so that takes up the most memory. But after it's cached, further drawings of that material take hardly anything. It's the initial memory overhead of importing a material that is the main problem.