View Full Version : Brightfire

07-31-2017, 02:25 AM
So here's another project I probably will never finish (and the reason I don't enter contests). I started this after getting inspired by the Decayed Dust contest going on. I intend on making something reminiscent of the atelier games, but changing the parts I'm tired of and can't really make quickly in LBP (which is a lot :P). Anyway, I'm a slow creator so there's no way I'll make the deadline, but here's a title sequence I spent way too long creating. Music by G-Gilgamesh-G.


07-31-2017, 09:17 AM
Omg! Pleaaaase go on creating this project!!! Its looking so great so far! I nearly can't believe that this is LBP! :)

07-31-2017, 09:54 AM
I'm always like 'Here's a new project. Its published at the end of the year'. And at the end of the year it's not done. I have too many ideas for scenerys and can't focus on one project entirely. But if I try enough it could work.

07-31-2017, 05:04 PM
@Curious - Thanks! The rest of the level won't look nearly as good. I got a little carried away in making sure the title looks nice (i'm not sure how the dust material works, so I'm not sure if it will start oddly like that in play mode. Hopefully not). Also, I'm not as good at top down visuals.

@mdkd - I know! It's so hard to just call it quits with an area and move on. At least you end up sticking with levels long enough to publish some good ones!

Also, rewatched the video and I realized that you can't see the stars at all! I know it's hard to on ps4 because I was very conflicted about the twinkling stars material. It obviously repeats, but I tried to make it as least noticeable as possible because it's such a good effect minus the repeating texture.

08-05-2017, 07:52 AM
Sorry for bump, but I consider this an update with different subject matter than post before.

Basic look of tetris-like item creation minigame. Proportions of wall are off, spheres are wrong since the titan orb (light around marble) casts a shadow I realized as I saved the screenshot, and more needs to be added for UI, but basic look is there.
Oh and those orbs are just that colour and position to test how hard it is to see grid with orb of same colour there.

08-12-2017, 11:53 PM
Oh thank you! Making a 5 minute playable intro is less difficult than making a level with some riddles, collectables and a cool story with 30 minutes of playtime.

08-13-2017, 01:59 AM
100% agree! Right now I'm admittedly putting off this project (just procrastinating, not abandoning) as I'm wrestling with how I want to do the tetris logic.

I've decided to break it into chunks:
Next window - this is what shows what block is next. It also is looking for the manipulations that you can do to it (size up, size down, change colour, randomize, etc) I consider this the main logic piece as it will, based off of a signal, emit...
The falling block - only one falling block exists at a time for reasons of adapting tetris to LBP. Every rotation must be falling alongside to avoid problems with going off grid. In addition some extra collision blocks will make sure you are able to rotate and there aren't blocks blocking the way for this.
Static block - all this does is check for a destroy block which will grant points if destroyed by making a horizontal line, a check for falling which is emitted when a row has no blocks in it, and a block tag.

Those are the basic components of it which are based off of a failed match 3 level I tried to make in lbp2 (all the switch logic was working but it filled the thermo too much) having only one falling block should avoid that problem.

11-13-2017, 06:43 AM
Did some work on the tetris-like minigame. Still figuring out how I want to do the logic. Pretty set on the moving logic and spawning logic, but now it's the scoring logic I'm focusing on. Essentially it will be 15 chips communicating with each other to see whether or not lines are completed at the same time. Also, lines falling is a little annoying since I wanted there to be no extra logic on the non-falling blocks. Debating if I want to use movers or pistons on that, since the falling blocks I'm using pistons, because if things get out of sync, that can help fix that issue. Basically once I finish the UI, I will probably get the logic out in two days. The UI is taking much longer than I wanted because it looked weird to have strict borders when I used so many decorations for the book and grid, so I ended up making moving decorations be the border which means lots of wobble bolts, timers and advanced in and out movers. Anyway, here's what I've got (It's a video because all the static images looked really gross, and I didn't want to find a USB to transfer the screenshot)


EDIT: While the visuals do use field of zoom to blur the background a little (and slightly the foreground, but it's hardly noticeable), the blurriness in the video is from my dorm room's crappy connection.