BG1, PRELOAD BG2, PRELOAD

• Community Spotlight Episode 142

Hello ‘ello, we’re proud to present the latest Episode of the Spotlight, hot off the press and jam-packed with awesome levels for you to play! Beta fever may be in the air and expectations may be running high but there’s still plenty to enjoy in LBP2, Vita and Karting. Enjoy!

Link to Hubbie and the LBPC Spotlight hubs for LBP2

FROM THE LEVEL SHOWCASE:

STARTDUCKS: World's Best Explosive Coffee and Cake Shop!
    by  Five-Ate-Five
    This is a level created just in 24 hours! Thats insane! This level is all about coffee and cakes! Have fun tasting them! (Now with even more and more bug fixes!)

Five-Ate-Five is really wowing me lately - how do they come out with so many great levels so quickly? It's a mystery to me... one that I simply have to solve. You're in Starb.... Startducks, and oh no! There's explosive cakes on sale! It shouldn't take you long to figure out whose job it'll be to sort this mess out! Armed with high powered explosives (I never did understand why our Sackpeople were allowed to play about with this stuff...) destroy the world around you to progress through this stylish and fun puzzley fallabouty platformer. Can't be missed!

rialrees

This level sure is a banger! It harkens back to older level styles with some very clear LBP1 logic items, but mixed with some early days LBP2 Creationatior hijinks. The aim of the game is to use your destructive powers to make platforms fall and such, with the mindless fun of just launching some explosives randomly as you make you way through the level. Don’t let the ‘oldness’ term put you off though. It’s more of a retro nod to earlier, simpler times. Which can be a little bit of a refresher sometimes, so grab a coffee and demolish some cake.

Mr_Fusion

Five is definitely on a roll (cinna…no I’m not going there xD). He is just a powerhouse of creativity and imagination and if he produces levels any faster I’m just going to run out of adjectives and start repeating myself. For something put together in 24 hours this is deeply impressive. It’s full of style, great mechanics and pure fun. It looks great, with that colourful retro 50s vibe Five does so well. The gameplay is a hoot, especially in multiplayer (bombs and multiplayer…what could go wrong!?) and you’ll have a blast (sorry) navigating your way through Startducks, tracking down 5 (of course!) ducks and even the infamous Mr Key (ohai!). A level to remind you, if needed, just how warm, funny and downright crazy LBP can be.

shropshirelass

Mercury Rising
    by  TheNotorious-187
    WARNING - This level is incredibly dark. For best results play from behind the sofa in a darkened room with the sound turned up. STRICTLY ONE PLAYER. Mercury Rising features two stages. Created by SpaceMonkey187. Musical score by BuddyDestruction. Additional sounds and fonts by RickRock_777. A special thank you to Aratiatia, Smartysloan and Tevlon1 for feedback and testing. #GhostCreators #NotoriousProductions #SackNoir

Wowzer. If you could take a bucket of atmosphere and stick my head in it, that would possibly come close to how I feel right now. Notorious' newest is an explosion of tension, darkness, and sheer vasteness as you make your way into the belly of a molten lava-powered juggernaut of a dungeon... I don't even know what it is! It's just awesome - the gameplay kept me hooked until the end and I did, as suggested, play with the lights off. This is so completely immersive, I might just take a second dip. *Sniff* It's so sad to see creators posting their last LBP2 levels. But with the sad comes the happy, and I'm so super excited to see what Notorious has in store for us on LBP3!

rialrees

Some many amazing levels still coming out in LBP2 that are pushing boundaries of design. At a glance you would be hard pressed to tell that this was in fact a LBP level. Dark, brooding atmosphere with foreboding platform sections. It makes me all the more excited to see what LBP3 will bring. However, this level clearly demonstrates that there is still plenty of life in LBP2’s create tools!

Mr_Fusion

Core element is nutronium or that is an element I made up to just barely capture the power of this captivating course thru visual and sound stunning-ness. The ambience, mood, and tempo are set early and maintained perfectly through-out this rendezvous thru a lava soaked platformer. Our little space monkey has once again shown, visuals and ambience can really push a level to the next, ummmm what's that word I am looking for here. um, oh yeah, level.

L-I-M-I

Buck: The Plot Chickens
    by  Breezy-The-Pro
    Consumerism is a deadly thing. In an attempt to strike the liquid asset, an unknown figure begins churning out some chicken-based fizzy drinks. Yeah, it's pretty morbid. What can you do? Voices in your head provided by

This level is pretty silly. But if you don’t take it seriously; you’re going to have some troubles getting through the tricky timing based wall jumping puzzles. Many different ideas around this mechanic are explored for great results. Now back to the silliness… not sure why chickens need a comfy couch especial considering that they are in… a spaceship… full of lava… with a monocled rabbit as a not so helpful guide, but just go with it and have some fun.

Mr_Fusion

Holy cluckin cluck was that a level where all three layers were used @@. By golly jolly it was and was superbly. If I hadn't known I would say this was straight from a story mode of an unreleased DLC. This had me hopping, skipping, and wall jumping from one section to the next in pure bliss. In the great words of a great tv persona :You got to love when a plan comes together: Awesome!!!

L-I-M-I

The Open Gate [1p]
    by  Shaggy40000
    Something weird is happening inside of the walls of this old fortress. Find out what's bringing back to life dead souls by solving puzzles, surviving deadly traps and fighting some evil demons. [SINGLEPLAYER ONLY]

Dark, disturbing, potential danger at every step… these are words that describe the floor of my room, but they also are quite apt for this level. Instead of piles of discarded clothes to navigate there are some physics bases puzzles, and rather than carelessly dropped bits of lego there are spike pits (which are probably safer than lego). This is one of those stages that you need to bring your wits in with you, or you’ll be stuck on the first screen for quite a while. Just pay attention to your surrounds, light some fires and get to solving the mystery of the discarded pizza box errr… I mean The Open Gate

Mr_Fusion

This is definitely a level for those with a sense of adventure…and no claustrophobia. The first part of the level is spent wandering a dark dungeon with a warren of passages and all sorts of lifts and other physics based contraptions to bemuse the unwary traveller lost in the depths. If you manage to puzzle your way out of the maze and into the light, the danger is by means over. An ominous tower looms above you with a distinctly sinister window on the topmost layer and the only way ahead seems to be to climb straight up towards it. This is a terrifically atmospheric level, beautiful and menacing at the same time. It has some cool puzzles, great visuals and a real sense of mystery and foreboding. The Gate is open, do you dare enter?

shropshirelass

Shaggy created a new level you say. Is it fiendishly creative and diabolical you say. It will make me sqeam and squirm you say, oh that last part you didn't say. Open gate is easily a level that must be played by those dungeon crawling puzzle types. From one area to the next and back round, this level will test your ability to analyze a situation and carefully push, pull, run, and jump it thru. Definetly a level for the thinker in all of us sackfolk.

L-I-M-I

The Great Score Bubble Of The Ancient Sackthings
    by  AdamWest1900
    5 levels in total using level links... memorisers save progress...much more to come...35% complete

You'll need to set some time aside for this one, as AdamWest kept my sackgirl playing for well over an hour! Get ready for a thrilling Indiana Jones-Style adventure, set in the ancient ruins of the Sackthings. You'll need to use all your wits to hunt for the three ancient masks and unlock the secrets of the sacred temple. Adam has done a fab job of linking multiple levels together to create one huge adventure - and the best part - it's still not finished! So much story and awesome puzzley gameplay already done, and the promise of more to come! I for one will be very excited to see how this story ends!

rialrees

Crimmeny this level is phenomenal. It’s the type of level that makes you stop and wonder why you haven’t heard of the creator before. Now, to all those out there that say ‘Why don’t you Spotlight unknown creators?’ Well… here you go! A creator with less than 50 hearts, with a level with less than 50 plays. So the question back to you is; Why didn’t you play it when it was in the showcase thread? Why didn’t you leave a review in that thread?

This level that is one of the best I have played in quite a while. Clever use of layers, clever use of puzzles, clever use of story telling, clever use of memoriser, clever use of well… everything! It is a very long level, but it saves your progress and you will be back! The only scary thing about it is that its 35% complete! I’m worried that if it were anymore complete it’d melt faces with it’s awesomeness.

Mr_Fusion

Reading the others reviews and then checking out the level thread just made me want to smack myself in the face with a cold wet fish for not playing it yet. Queuing this little gem up ASAP, and I hope everyone else queues it with me. What are you waiting for, why are you still reading this NON-review, you should be queuing this up right now. Now go I say go now and queue this level NOW!! Thanks, but no thanks for staying and reading this whole NON-review, but you really should be queuing this right now. If you got to this part and still haven't queued it, I am quite disappointed in you sackfolk. What are we to do with you?

L-I-M-I

Music to Do Surgery To (Music Gallery 2)
    by  Kalawishis
    Oh dear! A patient has come in with a medical malady like none other...This gallery contains 15 of my newer songs, all created in 2014, and most much better than what you would find in "Music for Short Attention Spans". So what are you waiting for? Get your hands ready and dive in to this body of music!

Eeeeew! This is probably the strangest music hub I have ever seen… um the song are good too. Oh wow. Why did I volunteer to write a review for this one! Gah! I don’t think I should explain how you dive into the body of work, but I should say that any level that gives out great tunes is always worth loading up, and hearting for future creative endeavours.

Mr_Fusion

I am definetly not hiring that sackfolk as my M.D. or to carve my thanksgiving turkey. Now onto the guts of the level, I mean heart, I mean errr, onto the music of course. I really appreciate how Kalawish can make some simple sounding tunes so dang awesome. Please do not take that the wrong way. The music doesn't seem to be heavily weighed down with jazz and what not's to the point it simply sounds watered down. This music is simple and superb and smooth like molasses. Easy on the ears and light on the spine.

L-I-M-i

Tract Dem Apples
    by  OMGYOUWOULD
    How bout it, another farm level, except this one is mine. Come on ova, get a tractor and start the apple frenzy alone or with friends! --- Special thanks to my dudes

OMG! I giggled so much playing this, and my daughter loved it too! This is one of the things I really love about LBP - I adore sprawling multi-level adventures, and complicated plots, but throw me on a farm with a tractor driving over apples and chickens and I am just as happy! OMGYOUWOULD has brought a really simple gameplay idea and turned it into hilarious chaos in this great game, for one or more players - Pick the apples, hunting out the special colours as they swap, but dont hit too many chickens or you're out. I loved the powerups and the general craziness of it all - so much fun!

rialrees

A level can be so complex and with such deep gameplay, that it just blows your mind with awesomeness. This isn’t one of those levels. This is the other type of level. The type of level that is so simple in concept that it just heaps bags of fun onto you. Add a dash of strategy and a smidgen of silly humour and you have a winner. It also helps that my tractor skills got me into the top 20 so… yeah. Beat that (not counting the people that already have). I could have done better but I got a little lazy and may have forgotten to avoid some chickens. I also picked up a turbo power up and promptly ploughed into a line of the little cluckers.

Mr_Fusion

Esmerelda Teaches Typing [1P]
    by  bonner123
    (BEST PLAYED SINGLE PLAYER) Explore Esmerelda's prestigious Typing Academy, and learn that the real goal of education is to be yourself. Music: Breezy-The-Pro, squid2723, Giant_Robot77, SLS10. Paintings / Logic: actio1_618. Acting: SLS10. Meat: squid2723, Mnniska.

*Cough* No, I still haven't reached the scoreboard. Shame! Shame on my and my family! BUT! I will be coming back to this fantastic level to prove my worth to Esmerelda, both in my fantabulous skills as a typist, and my not-altogether-useless skills with wall jumping gameplay. Bonner has really outdone himself on this one - he has every right to feel proud of this fantastic level - I've never seen so many devious twists on a wall jump level until now! I... do you know I can't even describe it - it's just all kinds of awesome. By combining the wall jumping with grabbing, jumping, moving, climbing, sliding, and layer switching (sometimes it feels like you're doing all these things at once) we have a really challenging level here! Come and prove your mettle with a typewriter, and watch out for the airlock, it's a little temperamental.

rialrees

Ok I’ll admit it. Much like Ria, I also didn’t finish this level. Not because it was badly built or boring. Or because I don’t LBP good. It was purely because I’m lazy. Much like real touch typing I just gave up. No actually I lie… it was because I don’t LBP too good. Or I should say ‘I don’t LBP too good when it’s one of bonner’s levels’ They are all so fiendishly tricky, that I always load them with trepidation. Knowing that the chances of me EVER seeing the score board is unlikely. Luckily; they are always clever and amusing so I’m always happy to give them a go an test my skills. I did manage to unlock an achievement! So yay me! And I think I got pretty far into the level too. I would say further than Ria anyways *flexes*

Mr_Fusion

Esmerelda teaches typing…it’s enough to send you running screaming for a quill pen. Stunning level though, it really has got to be one of the best I’ve played in a long time. Just when I thought wall jumping was becoming overused, Bonner manages to create some truly creative, genuinely inventive gameplay using it. So many awesome variations on the theme…and all of them challenging, some of them downright evil. If your skills are like mine, this is going to take you a long time to get through but it’s brilliantly engaging. The originality of the gameplay (and its deviousness - punishment button indeed!), the sheer challenge and the taunting interventions from the ever present Esmerelda keep you hooked to the very end. The writing, the artwork, the hilarity, the peculiarity - it’s all wonderful icing on a very good cake indeed. I did manage to get to the scoreboard (with a little help from someone who joined me towards the end) but I failed the typing course…in a good way :P And I don’t care anyway because I now have an Esmerelda sticker which is reward enough xD

shropshirelass

Breezy's Music Gallery 2
    by  Breezy-The-Pro
    Come one and come all, to this musical fayre, Forty-eight tunes have been salvaged for you. Collect 'em, reject 'em, or stash 'em as spares, Here at the Musical Gallery two.

Breezy's in with a double spotlight with his massive music gallery! Not content with popping a few songs on a LBP-ified iPod, Breezy's got not just songs for you, he's got albums. Now that's dedication. I think my favaourite is the Dia Dos Meurtos album, set against a shaky-cam sandpit with some upbeat and yet otherworldly tunes (In case you're curious, 'The Moth Sanctuary' is my favourite track in the group, though it's hard to choose!).

rialrees

This is one of those situations that if I were a music creator, I would now hate Breezy with a fiery passion. The bar has been raised with this level, amazingly themed menus, super creative navigation between the songs, and such a selection! So many great tunes to choose from, all neatly packaged into themes to make it easier to find the perfect song for your level. Again, if I were a music creator, I'd be sitting in a darkened room glowering, and thinking if it was possible to one up this type of level.

Mr_Fusion

Also from the Showcase...
    Played everything in the Spotlight and still looking for more?
    These levels stand out from the crowd for a variety of reasons, so be sure to check them out!

• [LBP2] Get ready for your eyes to go square and your thumbs to feel thoroughly confused, the awesome 3 player puzzle Isometric Disco Party (DVLC3) by BLAHBLAH1000 is a blast!
    • [LBP2] Gooooaaal! One very entertaining (and highly competitive *cough*) table soccer game – Sackboys table soccer [2P versus] by LBP2-_ -Creator
    • [LBP2] Fantastic sprite animations, a quirky storyline and some smooth gameplay await you in King Dedede's Fantastic Adventure by Rackoyo
    • [LBP2] A really atmospheric thriller, guaranteed to whet your appetite for the full story – [REC] Project - Intro by SackDream
    • [LBP2] Yikes someone has stolen Alan’s clothes! Jump into this colourful, fun and stylish platformer and help him get them back - If only i had my pants by xkjz3l
    • [LBP2] The Forgotten Depths by OmieR is a floaty, arty level which has such beauty and poise that it demands to be played with a calm state of mind.
    • [LBP2] This fast paced platformer will sweep you off your feet and leave you breathless and smiling at the scoreboard - katara by QTR8684
    • [LBP2] Take to the air and fly through this stunning looking level with bags of originality and more than a touch of mystery to it - Gone with the Wind Vol. 1 by FusY-_ -ArT
    • [LBP2] Take a trip down memory lane with the fantastic Da Vinci- styled platformer The Manor of the Inventor by Michaouta

For those reading the Spotlight on the Front Page, click here for a link to the Vita Spotlight and here for Karting
    This article was originally published in forum thread: Community Spotlight Episode 142 started by LBPCentralHub View original post
    Comments 4 Comments
      Breezy-The-Pro -
      A double spotlight? Welp, time to make a joke about misplacing my jaw and get started on the champagne.

Thank you, you lovely, lovely people.

Sandro8708 -
      Oh Breeze is twice spotlighted, cool to see some lvls I also loved to play, great job. By the way: i think Komodos new lvl was really good, was he to late for this spotlight or is the lvl that bad? Can not be true right?
      RV-2013 -
      Congrats to all the creators in this spotlight. I'll have to try these soon.
      SackDream -
      The Spotlight offer us many choices as usual! I have was shocked to see that my Introduction was among choices! Thanks to if they who one to decide to put myself! I had difficulty in believing in it !
      A pleasant surprisse dice brought in by the holidays