BG1, PRELOAD BG2, PRELOAD

Apple2012's Fine Blog

World War I: 100th Anniversary

Rate this Entry
Today is the 100th Anniversary of the assassination of Archduke Franz Ferdinand, the event that triggered a whole series of drama across the world. What problems did we have since year 2000? The 9/11 attack, UN problems, North Korea's communist rule, and many more to explain. And none of that would've happened if World War I never happened.

War is a terrible thing, but there are even some wars that have good things about them. World War I may be the beginning of global conflict, but it also lead America to becoming a global superpower. World War II was bigger, as America became world power. But World War I lead the world into World War II, which lead to other major events, both positive and negative.

Just letting you know, there was a whole keg of powder in history. The event that lit the keg was the assassination of Archduke Franz Ferdinand. That started World War I. World War I lead to World War II. And World War II lead to a whole bunch of events that mean global issues.

First, I'm going to go over the negative events. If World War I never happened, these events would've never happened. I'll put an asterisk aside if that was induced by World War II, and two asterisks aside if it was induced by an event that World War II resulted.

- The Government Shutdown of 2013**
- Travel Security Administration troubles** (the TSA is doing their job, but some members are actually causing trouble)
- The wars in the Middle East** (War in Syria, War in Libya, War in Iraq, War in Afghanistan, War on Terror are the wars America were involved in)
- The 9/11 attack** (all events mentioned above are long-term effects of 9/11, and you could see how World War I and World War II lead to these)
- UN troubles* (mostly failure to compromise. The UN would've never formed if WWII never happened)
- Arab-Israeli conflict*
- India-Pakistani conflict*
- North Korea-South Korea conflict**
- Invasion of Afghanistan*
- The Arms Race*
- The communist "witch hunt" in the 1950's*
- Korean War*
- Vietnam War*
- Apartheid in South Africa*
- The Berlin Wall*
- World War II (this was the biggest result of World War I. Without World War I, none of what happened in World War II would ever happen, including the Holocaust, bombings of Nagasaki and Hiroshima, and Pearl Harbor)
- Depression in Germany
- Treaty of Versailles
- Russia turning into the Soviet Union

Now I will go over the positive events. Unfortunately, if World War I never happened, then these would've never happened. And our world would be just like the world from the 19th century by the 21st century.

- The Internet (no computers, no internet. Also, the US would be the only country to have something like this since international trade wouldn't exist)
- Computers (and computer-based technologies)
- International Trade (maybe)
- The birth of the UN
- British Empire shrinks down to just Great Britain (I'm not sure about this one, but the British were abusive to other cultures)
- America becoming world power
- World Tourism (maybe)

How about the events that have to do nothing with WWI and WWII? These events would've still happened whether or not the wars happened.

- Decade trends
- The Great Depression
- The Civil Rights Movement
- Colonization in Africa
- Colonization in Australasia and Southeast Asia
- Technological development

And finally, I will go over the MAIN causes of World War I. I can also give an explanation of what each means.

1) M - Militarism - without a military, you can't start a war or fight in a war.
2) A - Alliance - allies help out each other as they fight against other alliances. During World War I, Serbia, Russia, France, and Britain were on one side while Austria-Hungary, Germany, Bulgaria, and the Ottoman Empire were on another. When Austria-Hungary declared war on Serbia, Russia armed mobilized forced to defend Serbia, but Germany fought back since they were allies with Austria-Hungary.
3) I - Imperialism - taking over other countries to claim an empire could trigger a war. Countries in Europe were claiming large empires at the time. Austria-Hungary was trying to take over Serbia to expand their empire (I'm not sure, but that's what I think).
4) N - Nationalism - pride within a nation. This is what lead to the assassination of Archduke Franz Ferdinand, something that happened exactly 100 years ago.

That's all I can say. Feel free to comment if you like. Today was the 100th anniversary of something big.
Categories
Entries 101+

Comments

To an extent WW1 this can be traced back to the French Revolution