BG1, PRELOAD BG2, PRELOAD

Various Nonsensicals

Random Interpretations: The Truth of Jessica Fletcher

Rate this Entry

From 1984 to 1996, there aired a television series called Murder, She Wrote. I did not watch it much during its original run, likely because I was not a middle-aged woman. Come to think of it, I’m still not. Regardless, I did catch the show on syndication in the years that followed and found it to be fairly enjoyable.

Widowed mystery novelist Jessica Fletcher is also something of an amateur detective. Each episode, Fletcher’s sleuthing skills are put to the test when someone is murdered. It is up to her, either despite or with the aid of the relatively useless local police force, to discover who (whom?) is truly the murderer using a cool head and sharp, logical deduction. Also, it had many guest stars.

Each episode generally followed the same formula, but with a different scenario and character set. However, there was always one thing that remained the same. It is something I have been convinced of since the very beginning.

Jessica Fletcher is the real murderer.

Every time I see her faking surprise at the discovery of the body or her arrogance when she describes in detail exactly how she made it look like the person she framed committed the crime, I just wanted to bust into TV world and use skills that would impress the real Ms. Marple.

This is her on the left by the way. I’m 85% sure.

Unfortunately, that could never happen. However, the truth can still be revealed. There is no statute of limitations for murder in the United States of America and Cabot Cove certainly applies. So here I shall show that she had the means, motive, and opportunity to perform hundreds of murders in over a decade. This will prove without a doubt that she is guilty. That’s how law works, right?

First off, how could Jessica Fletcher physically murder all manner of individuals, including those who would typically be stronger than her? Likewise, how is she able to eliminate all traces of evidence or divert it toward others time and again? Well, it’s quite simple actually. She uses her magical powers. That’s right, Jessica Fletcher is a witch.

Wait, that’s definitely not her.

Almost.

Bingo!

While at the time, the woman, who referred to herself as Ms. Price, claimed to be merely an apprentice witch, she clearly had a fair amount of power. She might use it to fly or to give children the ability to reenact their favorite scene from Little Nemo. Other times, her sadistic nature shows itself when she turns children into animals of prey or when she leads armies of usually inanimate objects.

Apparently, that proved habit forming.

The point is, the power she admits to is already formidable, and she could easily be stronger still. In fact, this is surely so. Even by the end of her battle with the supposed Nazi army, there is nothing to suggest that she really did lose her magic upon the destruction of her workshop. After all, it is implied that some of the enchantments she wrought were still in effect. However, Price had to cover her tracks after such a huge show of power. The best way to do so was to claim that she was no longer magical and eventually change her identity to that of Jessica Fletcher.

But why would she do it? What possible motive could Fletcher have to murder people? One needs only to refer to her day job. Fletcher is a novelist. She writes mystery novels. Murder mystery novels. Nothing boosts the sales of the murder mystery genre quite like having the author be involved in many dozens of real life investigations. Every time she kills someone, it presents her with the opportunity to solve the crime and boost book sales due to her fame. Fletcher in particular has wish for those funds, or more specifically, the lifestyle they allow her to maintain. After all, Fletcher was once a princess of Medieval England.

However, her chances at royalty would have ended when her father, who usurped the throne, was himself overthrown by bandits who placed the real king, an infant child with a temporary tattoo, in charge of the land. True, she showed some mutual interest in the knight of a neighboring kingdom. However, she previously showed contempt for the man and refused an arranged marriage to him.

Her extreme dislike brought out some early evidence of her threat.

More likely, she used cunning to lure the knight into a position of weakness, eventually killing him to gain control of his land since her father lost her then current home. Whether or not she succeeded, she was no longer in the graces of royalty in later years. Her ploy to increase book sales is one small way for her to regain some semblance of the life she feels she is entitled to.

The last piece of criteria is also the simplest. Opportunity. Jessica Fletcher is always present, at least in the general area, when the murders are committed. Her magical powers would hold her in good stead for the more unlikely scenarios that may require her to travel greater distances or fill various periods of time. She is there, able to plot every step of both the crime and the investigation. How many times must this be so before a pattern emerges? As previously stated, there have been over one hundred cases in which Fletcher has been involved.

The problem is that she is too smart, too careful, and too powerful to be defeated by conventional means. Police forces, mobs, governments, and entire armies have proven insufficient against her. I could not stop her either. Though I knew exactly who she was, I was powerless against her primetime ratings. It took intervention from Perry Mason for her murderous reign to finally end, though she was still so powerful that he had to sacrifice his own life. But it was a sacrifice he was willing to make for justice and the greater good for us all. For that, I thank him.

He also did it about 28 years before Murder, She Wrote first aired, because he’s that dammn good.

Updated 09-27-2015 at 04:21 AM by xxMATEOSxx

Categories
Random Interpretations

Comments

Hahahaha, this is an excellent argumentation I'm also no mid-aged woman (but an old man ) and I have to confess that I've been to weak to resist her power, so I caught myself watching the TV show more than once. (But not everybody can be a Perry Mason! )
    Thanks a lot and many greetings, Jürgen^^
    Thanks. Glad you liked it. Let the truth be known by all.

By the way, for anyone interested, I believe the last movie I reference, Please Murder Me is in the public domain. That means you can watch it for free in places like youtube.
    Could be that I've watched this movie in my youth already! Ok! I may be old already but not sooo old! Because of the title of your blog I think I will have a look also on the other nonsensicals!
    Have a fine weekend and many greetings, Jürgen^^