BG1, PRELOAD BG2, PRELOAD

The Creation Diaries

RPGP Entry 17: Forks in the Road

Rate this Entry
This is going to be a boring post, but if for some reason you feel like reading ahead, go for it. The only thing might barely be interested in is this:
https://vita.lbp.me/v/jpydd
This is a link to the bot testing area that I use. You'll probably be disappointed in the lack of features that work well on this bot as of yet but I decided the best way to get feedback is to have people test. So what the heck!
Anyways, on to different business. The struggles. It's not so much that I don't have any idea of what to do next, it's just that every option is tedious. I mean the animation for those five frames took just under an hour (granted I kept checking the animation and forgot to keep the final product intact). Or I could continue on with the spells which would only be harder to test as most require enemies to function. Either way, there is quite a lot of work ahead of me. Doesn't really help that I am recovering from being sick which is why there hasn't been much work on the level (oh and it was my birthday).
So, go ahead and try the testing area if you like. Again, don't expect much, but please do leave any kind of feedback if you do end up testing it. I've left notes on what I know needs fixing but you can comment on what bugs you about those things the most here so I get a more specific fix in mind.
Also, controls:
L- Cast active spell
Hold L- Destroy emitted active spell
Hold R - Grab
Double tap, hold R - Grapple (currently broken (it works but not well at all))
Hold Circle - Crouch
Circle while running - Slide
X - Jump
Square - Dash (Needs fixing)
Left/Right directional buttons - Punch
Down directional button - Ground Slam
Swipe spell wheel - Change spell (brokenish)
Hold spell wheel in center - Select spell from menu.
Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

Hey, I really liked the Bot level you posted. Like you said it does need some work, but I can see some great potential from this.

Since you said you wanted feedback,
    First off the controls seemed weird for some things. Like the punching on dpad didn't make much sense to me, and I felt the slide while dashing should be mapped to pressing down or something(just a personal preference)

I couldn't really make out the spell system, because I didn't really know what two of the spells did. I'm assuming it was for combat. But they all seemed to work well. I also really like the wheel mechanic(even though somewhat glitchy), the swiping to change spells quickly and then holding if I wanted to select one with taking as much time as needed. If I were you, I'd add a magic mouth when clicked on in the spell menu to inform the player what spell they're selecting. The level system also seemed great! Not sure how much grinding I'd have to do to actually go up as many levels as I did, but still.

...all in all, for being kinda glitchy, I did enjoy my experience. And can't wait for the next build to be playable
    Hey SilverTriforce7, Thanks for the feedback! I get what you are saying about the controls. I figured some of the things were mapped weirdly. That's mainly why I posted the level as I figured some things were awkward and people would be able to post feedback like you
    As for the sliding while dashing do you mean map it to the down directional pad button? That could be done and I suppose that would make sense as well. I could just make it both when dashing to satisfy everyone.
    Yeah, two of the spells were for combat. The spell wheel I know what is wrong with it so the fix should be pretty easy. (it's that the touch sensors activate while the wheel is turning so you get the what seems like a rejection of a turn).
    As for the spell selection I'll experiment with what looks best for spell names. I was going to add a note with the name to each bubble but I got lazy.