BG1, PRELOAD BG2, PRELOAD

The Jeffy Awards

1st Annual Jeffy Awards

Rate this Entry

Opening Remarks

Sackladies and sackgentlemen, welcome to the first annual Jeffy Awards Ceremony. This is dedicated to all those great PSP Creators and their ay-mazing achievements that I truly admire, but may not be getting the recognition they deserve. So without further ado, here are some award recipients so far.

The LBP PSP Pioneer Creator of the Year

Since Now and Then, Amazingflyingpoo has gotten us scratching our furry little heads asking, "How the @#$! did he do that?" Complimenting his fantastic storylines with revolutionary gameplay that's beyond our comprehension, Poo is a true pioneer who explores the frontiers of Create Mode to show us that almost anything is possible on LBP.

In addition, he also teaches English to underprivileged students in China. If he wasn't already a hero on the PSP, then he's definitely one in real life. For being a pioneer who gives us something innovative to look forward to and for being a great community citizen inside and outside these forums, I am proud to award Amazingflyingpoo the "LBP PSP Pioneer Creator of the Year" Award. Congratulations Poo, here's your Jeffy:

[spoiler]

Amazingflypoo's Acceptance Speech
Quote Originally Posted by Amazingflyingpoo
Wow... I'm at a loss for words... I have been a creator on LBP since January of '09, and from the very first level that I ever created, my goal was always to try to do something different. If you go back to my early PS3 days, you will see that my levels were a little underwhelming, but one thing that I hope you can say was that even then, I did a decent job at trying things that hadn't been done before.

When I entered my first crown competition, I created a level with so much story that I still can't believe people can tolerate it in a level. I managed to win the competition against some of the greatest creators in LBP (one of the levels that I beat ended up being Nominated for a PS3 Sacky! Yet, the elusive Sacky never looked my way.). Winning the Crown just made my addiction for LBP grow.

I decided to turn my Crown winning level into a series, and I managed to make 3 sequels before I moved out of the country. I somehow managed to have a following of LBPers who encouraged me to keep on building even when the months it took to make a level brought me down. For a while there, maybe 5 months on and off, I even had the Highest Rated level of all time on PS3, but it was a locked level that was accessed through a key in another one of my levels, so most people never even saw what it was.

As you all know, in October of '09 I moved to China with my wife. That left me without LBP for about 2 months, but I spent that time planning for my next level which would be on an entirely new platform... The PSP!

When I began building Now and Then in December '09, I literally almost gave up multiple times because of the TERRIBLE issues with create mode. I actually thought that something was wrong with my game. I just couldn't imagine that it was supposed to be this way. Lucky for me, JackofCourse was willing to give me a helping hand working through some of the bugs (since he was in the beta, he had a better grasp on everything), and I managed to finish the level.

I can still remember publishing it right before bed, and wondering if there was any way in the world that people could ever like it since it was such an unconventional level. I remember waking up the next day and seeing comments from Lleonard_Pler (one of the best creators in my opinion) saying how incredible the level was. LBPC really encouraged me to keep going with my crazy innovations and stories, and I have loved it the WHOLE time.

I was obviously a bit disappointed when the PSP Sacky's rolled around and I couldn't pull off Innovation or Story, but you know what? There are AMAZING creators out there who deserved it more than I did, and I can certainly accept that!

I am honored to be able to receive this incredible Jeffy, and I will wear the badge proudly! Thank you so much for this high honor
[/spoiler]

The Most Material-Thrifty Creator &
The Most Likely to Irritate "The People for the Ethical Treatment of Sackboy"

I first met VelcroJonze over at LBPNetwork, and I played his Fort Sugar Series as a return favor for playing one of my levels. I was really blown away by the really clean visual style and solid platforming gameplay, not to mention the surprise catapulting mechanisms. I knew then that VJ was a quality creator, but I was dumbfounded by the fact that his levels didn't have much plays and had relatively low star ratings. I found him in several other LBP PSP communities, but was surprised to not find him here, so I invited him. And we all know what happened after that!

With subsequent levels, VJ solidified himself as a master craftsman by showing his restraint in materials and stickers without compromising beauty in his levels. His iconic catapulting contraptions also have long-lasting charm, although those sackboy/girl rights activitists might question the ethics of their use. For showing us that less is sometimes more, and for pushing the boundaries on how to treat our dear little sackpeople, I am honored to award a Jeffy to VelcroJonze as "The Most Material-Thrifty Creator" and "The Most Likely to Irritate the 'People for the Ethical Treatment of Sackboy (PETS).'" Congratulations on the double win VJ!

[spoiler]

VelcroJonze's Acceptance Speech
Quote Originally Posted by VelcroJonze
Thanks so much Jeff, you are a true inspiration to the community including myself and I would like to thank you for being such an awesome creator. You are the reason I create because if I had not came to LBC I would not of had the courage to create more levels because I did not think my style was catching on. I am so glad you invited me over.

Thanks Buddy!!
[/spoiler]

Best Use of a Uvula

Most of the time, levels make you feel one thing. Sometimes you giddily stroll in a beautiful garden, or perhaps tremble in a haunted castle in Transylvania. Well, I found a level where you go from amused to nauseous in less than 6 seconds! S.I.A. Mission 1: 'Take' by Captain Rule has you feeling the full range of human emotions while you explore the human body and battle an unlikely parasite with a burger that shoots condiments.

It's also obvious that Captain Rule did his research for this project. One of my favorite parts of the entire level was grabbing a uvula to make one heck of an exit from the body. Small things like this are the substance of imagination and inspiration, and it is my pleasure to award Captain Rule the Jeffy Award for "The Best Use of a Uvula." Congratulations Captain Rule, I can't wait to see more stuff you can come up with!

[spoiler]

Captain Rule's Acceptance Speech
Quote Originally Posted by Captain Rule
This is a great honor. When I bought this game I had the intention of churning out level after level. After playing the game and a healthy amount of community levels I decided to jump onto the create moon and have a go. I was horribly intimidated and had a hard time figuring out what it was that I wanted to do. So I just played a little and decided to make simple things... Like a PSP, a brain and a Skull. These things just evolved into an entire level (influenced greatly by the "Death camp of Tolerance" episode of South Park. I'm really glad people enjoyed it because I had a blast making it. And I would like to thank everyone for playing. I would really like to thank you Jeffcu, your levels are great and a great inspiration ("Birds of Paradise" is one of my favorite levels, and is my girlfriends absolute favorite.) I would like to thank VelcroJonze, AmazingFlyingPoo, Taffey, Leonard, Domik and Spark for flooding these boards with some great levels.

Woohoo! Jeffy Award! *Hits Taffey with guitar*

Now I must get back to my Beauty and the Beast Blanket.
[/spoiler]

Most Likely to Create an Epic Level in a Cave With a Vodka-Soaked Bear
nominated by Taffey

Domik, our ambassador to the Russian LBP PSP community, has given us many delightful gifts from amazing adventure levels to taking pictures and leaving many insightful feedback for fellow creators. I believe I first met Domik over at the LBP Workshop, and Domik was one of the first to leave a feedback for my very first level. I remember the warm feeling I felt inside when I first read Domik's feedback.

I loved and still love Domik's prose. As a non-native English speaker, Domik does a fantastic job conveying his or her feelings in a charming way. I have a lot of respect for Domik because I can't possibly imagine speaking Russian on an internet forum!

For Domik's dedication and contributions to this community that have yet to be recognized, I am honored, on behalf of the community, to award Domik12 the Jeffy for the "Most Likely to Create an Epic Level in a Cave With a Vodka-Soaked Bear." Congratulations Domik, and don't forget to say hi to your bear for me.

[spoiler]

Domik12's Acceptance Speech
Quote Originally Posted by Domik12
Thank you, Taffey and jeffcu28 for this award, and one more especially to Taffey for creating special award for me It is the great honor!

It is very cool - create new levels, where you can embody some dreams and crazy inventions. And it is very cool that we have such great game as LBP, that give us freedom for yours imagination. And it is fantastic, that we can share it with all members of LBP community. Before this game I tried to create some small story game in RPG-maker on PC, bot it took much time and I was dissatisfy with result. In LBP we have fantastic tools for creating worlds and adventures. I almost don't play games on any platform, but LBP on psp and PS3 is only exception. I love to see over new community levels an try to study how someone create one more interesting thing. It is infinite pleasure. Thanks to MM for this great GAME!

And thank to all this community members for their cool levels, help and smart feedback! I love to create! And it is very cool to converse with people that have similar interest.

P.S. jeffcu28, my bear want to wring your hand, don't be afraid, he is very kind!
[/spoiler]

Any Suggestions?

If you fellow sackpeople find something amusing that deserves special recognition and hasn't been getting enough love, post below, and I'll consider them for a Jeffy Award. Thanks, and stay tuned for future awards...

Giving a standing ovation,
jeffcu28

Updated 05-18-2010 at 08:33 AM by jeffcu28

Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

Thanks so much Jeff, you are a true inspiration to the community including myself and I would like to thank you for being such an awesome creator. You are the reason I create because if I had not came to LBC I would not of had the courage to create more levels because I did not think my style was catching on. I am so glad you invited me over.

Thanks Buddy!!

-VJ
    Thanks VJ! I'm glad you made it over here too because it would have been a tragedy had I not played your other levels. Congrats again and see you around the forums.

Best,
    jc
    Nice! This is AWESOME!! I'd like to nominate Domik12 as Most Likely to Create an Epic Level in a Cave With a Vodka-Soaked Bear.
    Thanks Taffey! I was considering Domik for an award of some sort. Domik is definitely underrepresented in the LBP PSP community. Okay, I'm on it.

I'm glad you like it though!

Finding Domik's cave,
    jeffcu28
    This is hilarious Jeff! I don't know if this is only awards for those who are underrepresented, but I nominate the Taffster himself for "Most Likely to Make Players Spit Beverages in Laughter". All of Taffey's levels are chock-full of exceptional humor.
    Hey B3,

I concur that Taffey deserves such an award (I would go more with "Most likely to make soda run down your nose"), but I did have the intention to recognize those who deserve more recognition, or those who simply have yet to be recognized for something great that they did. Maybe I can make a concise list after the main winners for other funny notables? Thanks for the nomination though!

Who cut my apple?,
    jeffcu28
    *sit's in chair stunned as camera points his way*...
    *slowly rises and waves to the crowd*...
    *steps onto the stage to accept badge/trophy from jeff*...
    *unwraps piece of paper which contains acceptance speach*...

Wow... I'm at a loss for words... I have been a creator on LBP since January of '09, and from the very first level that I ever created, my goal was always to try to do something different. If you go back to my early PS3 days, you will see that my levels were a little underwhelming, but one thing that I hope you can say was that even then, I did a decent job at trying things that hadn't been done before.

When I entered my first crown competition, I created a level with so much story that I still can't believe people can tolerate it in a level. I managed to win the competition against some of the greatest creators in LBP (one of the levels that I beat ended up being Nominated for a PS3 Sacky! Yet, the elusive Sacky never looked my way.). Winning the Crown just made my addiction for LBP grow.

I decided to turn my Crown winning level into a series, and I managed to make 3 sequels before I moved out of the country. I somehow managed to have a following of LBPers who encouraged me to keep on building even when the months it took to make a level brought me down. For a while there, maybe 5 months on and off, I even had the Highest Rated level of all time on PS3, but it was a locked level that was accessed through a key in another one of my levels, so most people never even saw what it was.

As you all know, in October of '09 I moved to China with my wife. That left me without LBP for about 2 months, but I spent that time planning for my next level which would be on an entirely new platform... The PSP!

When I began building Now and Then in December '09, I literally almost gave up multiple times because of the TERRIBLE issues with create mode. I actually thought that something was wrong with my game. I just couldn't imagine that it was supposed to be this way. Lucky for me, JackofCourse was willing to give me a helping hand working through some of the bugs (since he was in the beta, he had a better grasp on everything), and I managed to finish the level.

I can still remember publishing it right before bed, and wondering if there was any way in the world that people could ever like it since it was such an unconventional level. I remember waking up the next day and seeing comments from Lleonard_Pler (one of the best creators in my opinion) saying how incredible the level was. LBPC really encouraged me to keep going with my crazy innovations and stories, and I have loved it the WHOLE time.

I was obviously a bit disappointed when the PSP Sacky's rolled around and I couldn't pull off Innovation or Story, but you know what? There are AMAZING creators out there who deserved it more than I did, and I can certainly accept that!

I am honored to be able to receive this incredible Jeffy, and I will wear the badge proudly! Thank you so much for this high honor!
    This is a great honor. When I bought this game I had the intention of churning out level after level. After playing the game and a healthy amount of community levels I decided to jump onto the create moon and have a go. I was horribly intimidated and had a hard time figuring out what it was that I wanted to do. So I just played a little and decided to make simple things... Like a PSP, a brain and a Skull. These things just evolved into an entire level (influenced greatly by the "Death camp of Tolerance" episode of South Park. I'm really glad people enjoyed it because I had a blast making it. And I would like to thank everyone for playing. I would really like to thank you Jeffcu, your levels are great and a great inspiration ("Birds of Paradise" is one of my favorite levels, and is my girlfriends absolute favorite.) I would like to thank VelcroJonze, AmazingFlyingPoo, Taffey, Leonard, Domik and Spark for flooding these boards with some great levels.

Woohoo! Jeffy Award! *Hits Taffey with guitar*

Now I must get back to my Beauty and the Beast Blanket.
    p.s. Anybody nice enough to make a banner of my trophy? I don't have the sweet computer skills to make one.
    Congrats to all the Jeffy winners, and especially to Domik12! I'm loving this.

@ B3
    Thanks for the nomination! I'd hate to steal thunder from the awesome and spot-on accurate awards already given out, so I'll settle for being the court jester.

Oh, if there's an award for "Most Likely to Chip a Tooth on a Metallic Video Game Character" can I get picked for it? Please please?

Wonderful idea ! They really deserve it, and the Jeffy Award icon looks really cool ^^!

Um... could I suggest a few?

Seekingtruth86 for Most Memorable Depiction of a Gassy Elderly Mentor Character in a Fanciful Floating Place
    Arrestor for Most Skillfully Hidden Cake
    Memorex for Most Disturbingly Difficult to beat Yet Absolutely Cute Cloud Level of Doom

I hope those are alright ^^!
    Thank you, Taffey and jeffcu28 for this award, and one more especially to Taffey for creating special award for me It is the great honor!

It is very cool - create new levels, where you can embody some dreams and crazy inventions. And it is very cool that we have such great game as LBP, that give us freedom for yours imagination. And it is fantastic, that we can share it with all members of LBP community. Before this game I tried to create some small story game in RPG-maker on PC, bot it took much time and I was dissatisfy with result. In LBP we have fantastic tools for creating worlds and adventures. I almost don't play games on any platform, but LBP on psp and PS3 is only exception. I love to see over new community levels an try to study how someone create one more interesting thing. It is infinite pleasure. Thanks to MM for this great GAME!

And thank to all this community members for their cool levels, help and smart feedback! I love to create! And it is very cool to converse with people that have similar interest.

P.S. jeffcu28, my bear want to wring your hand, don't be afraid, he is very kind!
    @ Poo
    *cuing music to wrap it up*

Hehe. Well, no doubt about it you're a talented creator on both the PS3 and PSP, and I hope you continue creating on the PSP even when you're reunited with your PS3 in August. I can't even imagine what it would be like if you never published Now and Then--I know for fact that ZEN would've never been made. You always push me to try something different, and everytime I think of something someone else might have already thought of, a poo on my shoulder would tell me to stop and try again. (Okay that kind of sounds wrong.)

@ Captain Rule
    Thanks for the thanks. I'm really glad to hear the BoP is also getting some love, but I'm more excited by the fact that I inspire you. Funny thing is, your level inspires me too!

As for the banner, I would love to make you one, except I owe some other people some sigs too, so if you can wait a little longer, I can furnish you with one if you'd like...

And thanks for whacking Taffey over the head with a guitar. That's so scandalous! I'm sure this will be all over the news tomorrow morning...

@ Taffey
    Hehe. You most certainly can have that award, but it must be after-the-fact. Those teeth look mighty strong, which begs the question, which will chip first? And how do I know you won't eat my delicious trophy, not to mention its resident cutie? Ima have to call People for the Ethical Treatment of Sackboy on this one!

@ Phalaina
    Thanks for the support. Those are some great choices, but I'm afraid it will get too crowded soon. Maybe I'll pick one and save the rest of the nominations for the next edition? People seem to like the idea, so why not continue it with more notables...hehe. I'll definitely have your nominations in mind though!

@ Domik
    Thanks for the thanks too! I completely agree with you on the beauty of LBP and its ability to help us tap into our crazy imaginations. You have a really good imagination, and I'm glad I saw it in your works. Thanks again for being an ideal community member.

Why is your bear walking all funny? You didn't give him vodka did you? He can't even reach my hands...

Singing a number,
    jeffcu28
    Updated 05-18-2010 at 08:58 AM by jeffcu28
    You're welcome!

That's alright ^^. I just wanted to suggest them but, yes, there are a lot of awardees as it is. It would be awesome to have another edition sometime !
    Oh, cool. Just noticed this now. It's totally awesome that you're taking the time to do this, Jeffcu!

BTW, Jeffy is a sweet name for them. Like Sackies, but, well, yeah. :)
    hey i just noticed this! this is great can wait till nxt edition of the jeffy awards!