BG1, PRELOAD BG2, PRELOAD

Dragonvarsity

Creator Interview: croissantbuncake

Rate this Entry
Hello everyone, here's another new inerview for you, this time we interview croissantbuncake, creator of "The Realm of the Wolf Lord", "Steam Paint - Locomotive Leaviathan" and more. Anyway, here's the interview.

1. Out of all your levels, which is your favorite?

Now that’s a hard one, I could ramble on for ages about all the little things here and there that I like and then compare to what I don’t like about each one! To be honest I still wouldn’t be able to pick between them so I’ll just say “Steam Paint – Locomotive Leviathan” since it’s the newest.

2. Are there any levels your working on and if so, could you give us some information about it? (This could be anything from the title, theme, plot, or even picture/teaser of the level.)

Yes, I’ve been working on a level (though I’ve abandoned it since the LBP2 beta started). It has the working title of “Domain of The Nereid”. Content wise it’s a sort of spiritual successor to “The Realm of The Wolf Lord”, so expect to see plenty of epic moving statues and scenery. As for the style though it’s a somewhat stereotypical Atlantis inspired level with a similar start to “The Realm of The Wolf Lord”, only this time as you make your way into the clearing of a forest you come across two huge Hippocampus statues. Other than that I can’t say much as I simply haven’t built it yet!

3. Are there any creators/levels that inspire you to create or that you just think are awesome? (If there are too many to count than just name some of them.)

Hmm... influences would definitely include johnee, anpostteller, faith_rip, ciao_psn and probably many others. In reality though the majority of the credit goes to johnee, since it was his “Warzone” that first really inspired me and prompted me to strat thinking outside the bow about how I could make levels.

4. Do you have any tips on creating or keeping the thermometer low for other creators? If so, what is it? (This can be basic like not using too many materials or corners or can be really specific talking about certain stickers and sound effects you find useful or both.)

Well, these days I’ve been sort of ignoring the thermo at my own peril. However I do keep the staple thermo rules in mind, those and making sure to keep emitter settings low, using minimum materials and vertices and anchoring things to dark matter where possible. Lately I’ve even been cheating the thermo somewhat by temporarily anchoring moving items via a dissolve – dark matter combo, and only releasing the object into the dangerous world of moving objects just before it enters camera shot (and in doing so often causing the thermo to momentarily panic!).

5. If you could add anything to little big planet that you don't think they're already adding, what would it be?

I’ve had many ideas come and go as I’ve played LBP, many of which I’ve forgotten. Though lately I have had the idea of a “corporeality” tool, something you could place on an object to give it the physics and collision ignoring properties of gas (without otherwise affecting the object) to allow objects to pass through each other and also to make compressing objects easier.

6. Is there anything or anyone outside of little big planet that inspires you to create or at least gives you some ideas?

Anything and everything, but mostly film and video game concept art. Often though it’s a result of strange tangents when creating, for example one of the main elements of my “Domain of The Nereid” poject was inspired when I accidentally glued a croissant to a skull in a manner that resembled a ram’s horn, and “The Realm or The Wolf Lord” began when I set about making a wolf head out of glass.

7. When and how did you get little big planet?

One day before release. I had noticed a friend from school playing it and demanded how he had got it, it turned out a slight mix up in my local games store had caused them to put it on the shelf earlier.

8. How did you get the name croissantbuncake?

I was wondering how long it would take someone to ask that. Croissant-bun-cake was a word coined years ago by a friend of mine when he attempted to describe a brioche roll. Later when I asked if they could suggest something different and unusual as a PSNid they suggested it and I decided to just run with it. I’ll admit it was a little odd at first to see the name running around in various online games but it seemed strangely appropriate when LBP came out so I kept it.

9. Are there any other games you play besides little big planet?

Yep, lately I’ve been playing this new game, I think it’s called the LittleBigPlanet 2 beta?! . Hehe, seriously though, it’s mildly worrying that I am currently setting a personal record for longest time not playing LBP, by playing the LBP2 beta instead!!!
Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

Nice interview!

By the way, I doubt running around in online games with the name "croissantbuncake" is worse than "piggabling...."
    Nice interview!

Both those psn's are awesome!lol

they both make me laugh
    great interview super smilley face time all round!!!
    Thanks guys, glad you all liked it.