Napero's awesome blog
Project cube diary - 3
by, 01-30-2011 at 07:58 PM (592 Views)
Project cube is my little project to create a rubik's cube in LBP2.
If you have read my other blog posts you might think that I have made barely any progress...
Well, while I haven't been working on this as much as I intended, I have made some progress. When I wasn't on the PS3 I wrote down a list of quick codes on which signals go where. There are 180 of those signals and I had to think through all of them.
I decided to use tags with labels and tag sensors instead of 1440 wires doing the same thing. Why? To be able to have the basic microchip layout look like this
If you have been using microchips with a little bit more logic than two and gates you might already know that every wire gets an output or input on the side of the microchip. Now, imagine every single one of those little microchips there having at least 24 inputs and 6 outputs, some of them having 36 inputs and 6 outputs. With tags I can have the same signals going back and forth without all the messy and lag-causing wires.
The layout for the individual microchips has also changed. You see 6 tags to the right and 6 microchips to the left. I didn't take a photo of those microchips there but every one of them has 6 tag sensors responding to the tags I have set them to.
So far I have put labels on all the tags and put the labels into the tag sensors of three microchips, you might see the black stickers on the yellow circuitboard in the first picture, I use those to mark which ones I have already "coded".
Well, that's the basic cube logic, then I have to build the logic on how to turn the sides, build the visuals and do some other fancy stuff...