BG1, PRELOAD BG2, PRELOAD

Burnvictim42

Levels gone wrong.

Rate this Entry
Hey everybody! I have an opinion about something, listen to me! (thanks swan )

I think most of us have experienced this in one way or another- where an idea sounds good in your own mind, but doesn't work necessarily well in LBP. Or where you plan out a level and realize you can't even fit half of the stuff in there due to thermometer restrictions. Or where you start building a level realize something won't work the way you want it to, and need to rebuild entire sections. Or really just anything that makes you want to drop kick your controller (ie: deleted data, etc.). In effect, the level has gone wrong, twisted from your original plans through (what seems like) a mind of its own.

Planning ahead can only prevent what i'm going to now call "level corruption" from going so far, as my latest project has proven time and time again. So far, i think just about everything i've ever had a problem with has gone wrong with this level. I've broken the main mechanism several times, The thermometer is up the wazoo (i have about 5 bars left for 6 sections lol), a bunch of ideas i originally had aren't necessarily making the cut, parts of the level have just destroyed themselves (i'm still at a loss as to how), things still break on a regular basis, i've gotten a "failed to load level" once (thank goodness for backups), oh, and every single playtest has resulted in an unplayable level at some point in time What was once a detailed structure for a level now has more holes than the average slice of swiss cheese!

And yet, i'm still making this level, the creation process continues. I will patch up a place here, after i spruce up an area there, the thermometer will climb to its peak (and even further if i can afford to bribe it), and in the end I will be left with a level i'm proud of. It won't be the level i intended to build in teh first place not by a long shot. However, in fixing its deformities, sending it to St. Brutus' School for Criminally Deranged Levels, and removing its "bad to the bone" sticker tatoos through laser surgery, it is now a level that has adapted, evolved even, from the original design into something different, and yet it retains innocent parts of the creation you originally intended to nurse into a full blown level.

Has the level gone wrong after all? Maybe, maybe not. It depends all on how you look at it. The only thing i do know is this: i wouldn't reccomend St. Brutus'- they overcharge you like you've got score bubbles coming out of your earholes ;p
Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

Don't give up, kid! Nice Potter reference, there.
    Yep, I planned out an uber new object (Not going to say what) but then i tried to get it to work and it all failed

I'm still going to make that object though...
    Oh, i'm still going to build a level Rarely will i make something only to give up on it. But i thought it was interesting how things evolve from original planning.
    I totally agree with you Burnvictim. I've been using a certain technique that works fairly well... Only use a few different materials for the entire level, then when you're done, go back and change some materials here and there, plus sticker stuff up, until the thermo won't let you anymore. The thermometer seems to allow a huge level, as long as you don't go crazy with the amount of different materials. Also, like you alluded to, planning ahead is key! I like when levels make sense rather than just one big melting pot of jumbled up ideas. I actually blogged about that recently (storytelling).

However, a while ago I had an idea for a Prince of Persia remake. Basically, you'd play through this desolate land until you reach a 'healing' spot (just like in the most recent prince game), and once you 'heal' the land, everything changes into a lush, bubble filled environment. Well, let's just say that it was too much for me to take on, and it turned out terrible, .... and yet I still published it .. not sure why?

Keep at it!
    Updated 09-13-2009 at 08:21 PM by Powershifter
    That's why you don't buy swiss cheese.
    agreed, i prefer cheddar myself