BG1, PRELOAD BG2, PRELOAD

DarkDedede

Designing characters is hard work.

Rate this Entry
So I've finally decided to bite the bullet and work on a levels series, and take advantage of all the resources that are available to me. I'm going to make sure I do it right. I'm not planning to work in LBP until I have an actual plan in place.

Since I had a AfterEffects project to do this term, I thought it would be the perfect opportunity to start developing the concept for the story. I got the idea to work out the intro for the story in AE, as a sort of animatic storyboard for reference when I get to constructing the scene in LBP. Anyways, when I pitched the idea in class, my instructor was all for it, and I received her blessing for the proposal.

After spending time researching different characters and styles that I wanted to incorporate in my own designs, I finally started working on my first character in Illustrator. Five hours later, I hadn't even gotten my first character completed, and I still needed a minimum of five main characters for the entire scene. I ultimately made the decision to scale the scope of the project down to a more manageable size, considering the timeframe I had for the assignment.

Now I know this is my first time designing and developing a character concept in an actual production, and great deal of time is going to be spent learning the process through trial, error and asking the right questions. However, I'm really starting to have a new appreciation for what it takes to develop concept from design to application (and I've only just started). It's one thing to have an understanding of how the process works, but it's another to actually do it. Definitely a very interesting lesson to learn.
Categories
Uncategorized

Comments