BG1, PRELOAD BG2, PRELOAD

Phazerz123

Is this really.......gaming?

Rate this Entry
We're making unimaginably, undeniably incredible things in Little Big Planet. From complex contraptions to beautiful landscapes, we are doing amazing things. And although fun and learning are the primary goals of all Little Big Activities, I can't help but ask myself this question: Is this really gaming?

When you hear the word "Gaming" what do you think of? Shooters? Puzzle Games? Role-Playing Games? Adventure Games? Chances are, the absolute first thing that pops into your head isn't making complex contraptions and beautiful landscapes in the LBP2 Create Mode. You know it's true. But.....why? Well, let's compare Little Big Planet to Programming.

In Little Big Planet you:
- Create Environments
- Have to be creative
- Have a set of rules to follow (i.e. You can't plug something into a battery as it has no input)
- Things break sometimes
- You need to figure out how to get around a problem
- When it's ready, you release it to the world to see how it reacts

In Programming you:
- Create Environments
- Have to be creative
- Have a set of rules to follow (i.e. You can't program something that can make you a real world sandwich......yet ) (yes, I know, bad example but you get the idea)
- Things break sometimes
- You need to figure out how to get around a problem
- When it's ready, you release it to the world to see how it reacts

As this long (well, long for me to type) and complicated almost-chart has shown, using create mode is considerably a form of programming. Or in other words for all you programming savvy kids out there, it's a whole new programming language.

Now to make that entire thing relate to the topic of this post, is Programming gaming? Well, I say, no. Programming is not gaming. So, if the comparison is to be accepted, technically, Little Big Planet (at least the Create Mode portion) is not gaming.

Now, you're probably wondering, "Uh, okay. Why is this post here then, exactly?" Well, that's simple. I'm asking you. Is Create Mode gaming? And, can you really put a genre to it?

My guess is, probably not. I think one would have to come up with an entirely new genre to label Little Big Planet. But that's the great thing about LBP, it's not bound by convention. It doesn't need it's own genre to lean on, it's it's own genre.

In any case, I know in the long run, it doesn't matter what genre one would put on Little Big Planet. It's survived without (an "official") one this long and it'll survive without one. But that still leaves my first question. Is this really gaming?

Riddle me that.
Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

This is actually a really good point. Littlebigplanet really could be considered a form of programming. This sort of reminds me of a conversation a friend of mine had when we were considering making pc mods. After a while we started talking about engines such as the unreal engine, and as a joke I brought up, "Why not use the Littlebigplanet 2 engine?".

Even though I said it as a joke, looking back on that comment, its actually sort of true. Littlebigplanet 2 is literally "a platform for games" as it was advertised and can be considered a form of programming. We're also doing things that game developers would do in general, such as reading feedback on our creations and "patching" the level if a problem is found, and having beta testers test out our creations. Its a pretty deep way to look at it, but you simply can't deny the similarities.
    I know I hate when people say lbp2 is a game... even though it is. But ever since lbp2 came out Irealize it,s soo much more and anything is possible. If we had full 3d elements the only thing we diffrent would be sackboy. who know maybe with lbp karts coming on and its ''3d create mode'' anything is possible.
    Updated 04-16-2012 at 09:00 AM by ZAC_DESTROYS_ALL (nvm)