Apple2012's Fine Blog
Level Building Tips - Part 3: Tools
by, 05-30-2012 at 05:28 PM (171 Views)
I have a few more rules on level building, but this time, it's about using the tools (gadgets, gameplay elements etc.) Like I said on the last two blogs, some things should never be done, some things should always be done, some things are recommended to be done, and other things are okay as it makes no difference. Here's today's rules:
- Your level should at least have a few switches or sensors. Activating contraptions will make your level better, especially when you work on a platformer.
- You don't have to do this, but it's suggested that you use at least one enhancement/powerup in the level. In most of LBP2, Sackboy isn't really empty handed. The only exceptions are games and levels that are entirely underwater.
- Do not put in a switch for nothing. You should work on the output.
- Microchips are good for the game. You can put a sensor or logic piece on the material, but if you have too much to do, put it on a microchip. You should have at least two or three logic pieces on the microchip. Try to stay simple, but not too simple.
- Don't use a blank background. Instead, use a background from the story mode levels. The only exceptions are games and levels that would use the 3-D layer glitch.
- Please use music. A dead silent level would make me feel lonely, and same for you.
- Use checkpoints. Imagine after passing five traps and then you die. You have to start all over at the first trap. Try having one checkpoint after every hard section or every 3 to 5 easy sections. There's no need for an infinite-life checkpoint on a super easy level, but do not use the single-ring checkpoint on the hard levels. A lot of negative reviews come out of that.
- Do not misuse or abuse tools and gameplay elements. Examples include disappearing scoreboard, jetpack in a creatinator-necessary section, and motion controller enabled level when there's no need for a motion controller.
- Use the global settings wisely. Make sure the sound matches, and do not make the level 100% foggy. If you like to make it 100% dark, make sure there are lights in the level in order for Sackboy to see.
- Use sound for every contraption or animal. Would you like to hear a quiet contraption or a realistic contraption? Make sure the sound matches too.
That's all for today. If you like to, please leave a comment and talk about how you like these rules. Please check by tomorrow. I should have some rules by then.