Apple2012's Fine Blog
Level Building Tips - Part 4: Games
by, 05-31-2012 at 06:56 PM (143 Views)
I am back with the last ten rules. I'm pretty disappointed that almost nobody read my last blog because somebody else posted above me, making it almost impossible for people to read my tips, but on the other hand, I have the last of the rules. Like always, there are things that you shouldn't do, things that you should do, things that have a recommendation, and things that don't matter. The last rules are:
- The requirements for making a game are: a controlinator, a score giver, microchip, logic, materials, gadgets, and of course, your imagination.
- A good game always starts out with a menu. I'll tell you how to make a menu somewhere later.
- Aside from Rule #2, make sure the menu has three or more options. The options can include a tutorial, the settings, and several modes of playing, like hard, survival, 2-player etc.
- Using only hologram or sticker panel for the game contents and a black background for the background makes your game in a classic or retro style. It's better than showing the LBP2 graphics.
- Try not to take others' ideas for your game unless if unaware. And you should try to not copy from actual arcade games (like Pac-Man or Donkey Kong).
- Make your own music. There's a music sequencer. Using your own music for a game sounds like you have some real sense into game making.
- Don't be too lazy for the tutorial section. Making a movie on how it's done or putting in a sample sounds nice.
- Do not set the score giver to give/take 10,000 points to/from you at once. 10,000 points is a rediculously high score.
- When you do the controlinator logic part. Don't make it too simple, but do not make it to complex. A whole bunch of unnecessary moves aren't good for the game. Have at least three functions but no more than five functions.
- Some games are better off using the PlayStation Move. In that case, the movinator can be used as a substitute of the controlinator.
That's all of the rules. If you like, please leave a comment and tell me how you like these rules. I have no more rules on making a level.