BG1, PRELOAD BG2, PRELOAD

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Default "Little Dark And Stormy Night" (now 2.0!!!) - with pictures! - Spotlighted!!!

Level: Little Dark And Stormy Night 2.0
    PSN: Dobi6

EDIT: If you found the first version of this level too hard, 2.0 is a moderate version of this level

I hope everyone enjoys it!

I tried to go very atmosphere heavy on this level. Little Dark And Stormy Night is based off old horror films. I chose a black and white style to create a feeling of gloom and doom.

You start out stranded in the rough mountainous terrain. Your carriage broke down a while back, and you are in trouble. Weather is coming, and you need to get to some shelter. You had heard there was a castle not to far away that might provide you some shelter for the night. The only problem is that there are all sorts of rumours about the castle. It is said that no one who has gone into the castle has come out.

Please check out this gothic tale.

Last edited by dobi6; 04-23-2009 at 01:22 AM. Reason: Moderate version of the level!
    ** I Use Feedback4Feedback **
    PUBLISHED LEVELS: "King O Side" - Spotlighted! - Thread, "Lost Under Glass" - Spotlighted! - Thread,
    "Little Dark And Stormy Night" - Spotlighted! - Thread

Grand Den Mod-er of LBPC Morgana25's Avatar
    Level completed: 56%, Points required for next Level: 853
    Overall activity: 0%

PSN
    Morgana25

Looks pretty creepy and cool - I'll check it out tonight!

sig by chuck_18mp illustration by TheZimInvader

Chroma Stone Chronicles Veriddian's Gem | Pyrra's Gem | Cerrulean's Gem | Irridia's Gem | Abyssia's Lair
    Dragons of Myth Egypt | Teotihuacan | Iceland | Greece
    Fire and Ice
    Sackrificed MM Picked! lbp.me link for Sackrificed

Morgana25 on lbp.me

Don't mess with Morgana or you get the wand

3. Thanks!

Level completed: 40%, Points required for next Level: 853
    Recommendation Second Class 10000 Experience Points 5000 Experience Points 1000 Experience Points 500 Experience Points
    PSN
    Coxy224
    Blog Entries

Ok, just played through your level and I have to say (however critical the rest of this feedback is) that I had fun and never thought of giving up

Pros:
    +The art style, it's just beautiful the whole way through and really captures that whole black and white movie era
    +The atmosphere, although not entriely scary, it was convincing and sucked me into the gameplay
    +The platforming, difficult but rewarding great fun to be playing through
    +The detial and decoration, everything is planned and executed perfectly and it looks amazing
    +The lightening effect, works perfectly without even seeing anything
    +The "treasure" signs always kept me on the look out for something
    +Having unlimited lives, and I really needed them too!

Cons:
    -Perhaps a ittle on the difficult side (took me around five minutes just to do the first platforming section!
    -When it rains, it only rains to the right of you......and stays "dry" on the left
    -You have to activate each checkpoint or start all over again

Got 5 stars and a heart from me

If you're looking to do F4F then I would really appreciate you giving my (slightly easy and cartoony) level Coastin' in the Jungle (link to thread is in my sig).

Sig by the awesome Val
    PSN: Coxy224
    Showcased in PSP & PSV: Minecart Madness [Spotlighted!] | The Great Palace Of Emitters [Spotlighted!] | [VCC] The Christmas Arcade [Vita Christmas Countdown Level]
    Member of Ladies of LBPC Social Group

5. Thanks!

Oh!!! Another Dobi6 level! I'm playing it this afternoon. I had JUST gone in and re-played Lost Under Glass and King O Side....
    F4F Participant
    Levels published: F4F: LIBERATOR - Spotlighted!!!! -, Vectroids - MM Picked!!! Spotlighted!!!! -, Sea Dragon -Spotlighted-, Roll out the Barrel! -Spotlighted-, Splat Invaders III: Insurrection - Spotlighted-, Destiny! -Spotlighted! MM Community pick!-, Vertigo! -Spotlighted-, Splat Invaders Saga -Spotlighted! IGN Pick!-, Splat Invaders II: The Caverns of Splat -Spotlighted!-, Tiger Woods Mini Golf -Spotlighted!-, Starship Troopers -Spotlighted!-

7. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Coxy224 View Post
    -Perhaps a ittle on the difficult side (took me around five minutes just to do the first platforming section!
    That is why I have the unlimited life gates

I might have made it a touch too hard in that part... I may try to make this section a touch easier if I get a bunch of comments on it.

-When it rains, it only rains to the right of you......and stays "dry" on the left
    There is no way my thermo would allow a larger rain section.
    I even added the rain at the end to make sure I could even fit it at all.

-You have to activate each checkpoint or start all over again
    That is one of the reasons I made the magic mouth tell you to make sure you active them.

Thanks for the 5 stars and heart! I really appreciate it.
    The playtesters made this level WAY better... I can't thank them enough.

If you're looking to do F4F then I would really appreciate you giving my (slightly easy and cartoony) level Coastin' in the Jungle (link to thread is in my sig).
    I have been planning on it actually. I have been a bit out of commission with a puppy suffering from Parvo, but she is better now; and now that my level is up, I plan on catching up with my F4F plans.

I have been looking forward to checking out your level since you posted it in the first place.
    PUBLISHED LEVELS: "King O Side" - Spotlighted! - Thread, "Lost Under Glass" - Spotlighted! - Thread,

Looks promissing. I will play and film it next noon.

I organize all my LBP ideas in a Google Docs folder. Feel free to have a look. I'd love to have some feedback too! http://tiny.cc/lbpvandoc

10. Thanks!

Film it? super cool

Quote Originally Posted by CCubbage View Post
    Oh!!! Another Dobi6 level! I'm playing it this afternoon. I had JUST gone in and re-played Lost Under Glass and King O Side....
    Thanks! I think it is the best one yet

I am not sure it is as innovative as my rotating machine in the last one... But I think is is way more of a complete package

I think you will like it!

Okay, first of all - absolutely loved this level. The custom content, the ambience, the gameplay... everything was top notch.

Ok, couple suggestions:

1. I'm going to start with the one that was kind of a game-killer for me - the infinite checkpoints are always bad. Sometimes they mess up.... and I was unfortunate enough to run into one the very first time I played... I got to Marduk's layer, flipped the first 2 switches to enable the catepult. Jumped on the cateput, turned on the first light... fell, died (I did all this without dying once!) and.............. you have lost all your lives. Restart, return to pod........ I believe Cornish Yarg is supposed to have an actual unlimited checkpoint, but until then - use 2 double life checkpoints. I can't tell you the number of levels this has happened to me on.

2. In the Marduk area - it takes a bit away from the ambience to have the bubbles telling me what to do. You could probably change the text to say something like "It looks like I need to pull that switch..." so it fits more into the story rather than sounding like an on-the-fly tutorial.

3. Skulls near the beginning - since you only get one shot at this, if you make a mistake you have to start over. Generally, this kind of design can frustrate players. I personally don't mind starting over, but some may. In my case, I get the skull onto the cart, jumped over the skull to pull the switch and accidentally pulled the "open" switch and let the skull fall... thus forcing me to restart. I'm not totally sure how to fix this, and I'm not sure it matters too much - but it can happen. Maybe not allowing the switch that opens the bottom to activate unless over the holes - which would at least minimize it happening.

Anyway, absolutely loved it. It's great to see a creator trying COMPLETELY new things every level. It's actually hard to tell you're the same creator for all 3 of your levels.

(I also loved seeing my user name in the level... heh)

Great job! 5 stars and a heart.
    F4F Participant
    Levels published: F4F: LIBERATOR - Spotlighted!!!! -, Vectroids - MM Picked!!! Spotlighted!!!! -, Sea Dragon -Spotlighted-, Roll out the Barrel! -Spotlighted-, Splat Invaders III: Insurrection - Spotlighted-, Destiny! -Spotlighted! MM Community pick!-, Vertigo! -Spotlighted-, Splat Invaders Saga -Spotlighted! IGN Pick!-, Splat Invaders II: The Caverns of Splat -Spotlighted!-, Tiger Woods Mini Golf -Spotlighted!-, Starship Troopers -Spotlighted!-

14. Thanks!

Okay, first of all - absolutely loved this level. The custom content, the ambience, the gameplay... everything was top notch.
    Thanks!

1. I'm going to start with the one that was kind of a game-killer for me - the infinite checkpoints are always bad. Sometimes they mess up.... and I was unfortunate enough to run into one the very first time I played... I got to Marduk's layer, flipped the first 2 switches to enable the catepult. Jumped on the cateput, turned on the first light... fell, died (I did all this without dying once!) and.............. you have lost all your lives. Restart, return to pod........ I believe Cornish Yarg is supposed to have an actual unlimited checkpoint, but until then - use 2 double life checkpoints. I can't tell you the number of levels this has happened to me on.
    Was it just the final checkpoint you had problems with? Or with all of them. On this level, I really didn't want people to get frustrated by keeping the platforming challenging... And when I have played it, I didn't have the end screw up and kill me off - and when I was playing, I purposely played badly.

I have thought about making it just a standard double life gate so that they had to own up to making it at this point - it is the boss area after all.

2. In the Marduk area - it takes a bit away from the ambience to have the bubbles telling me what to do. You could probably change the text to say something like "It looks like I need to pull that switch..." so it fits more into the story rather than sounding like an on-the-fly tutorial.
    I will definately take care of that! I totally agree. I put them there, as playtesters talked about being a bit confused as to what to do.

3. Skulls near the beginning - since you only get one shot at this, if you make a mistake you have to start over. Generally, this kind of design can frustrate players. I personally don't mind starting over, but some may. In my case, I get the skull onto the cart, jumped over the skull to pull the switch and accidentally pulled the "open" switch and let the skull fall... thus forcing me to restart. I'm not totally sure how to fix this, and I'm not sure it matters too much - but it can happen. Maybe not allowing the switch that opens the bottom to activate unless over the holes - which would at least minimize it happening.
    I really like the idea of making a the thing not open unless it is over the graves... But I played it a while, and it is really a situation where it is hard to screw up... You have to make an effort to fall off the gantry, and you have to jump to open the trapdoor.

With the infinite life gates, There really isn't a lot of finality about the game, so I have to think about this one. I want the skulls to be hanging... Which took out the option to have them emitted. - I thought about it a long time, knowing I would hear about this one.

Anyway, absolutely loved it. It's great to see a creator trying COMPLETELY new things every level. It's actually hard to tell you're the same creator for all 3 of your levels.

Anyway, You got the credit because you have been an invaluable help to me to get me to where I am in my levels.

I'm publishing a level soon called "Lotsa-Life and active checkpoints" you can get my 152-life spinning checkpoint wheel and active checkpoint too. (I know I'm not supposed to advertise my levels, but it might help you out, and that's all I'm concerned with right now. I'll get on it though.)

17. Thanks!

As far as I am concerned, go ahead and advertise... I know I can use the help

Quote Originally Posted by Dobi6
    Was it just the final checkpoint you had problems with? Or with all of them. On this level, I really didn't want people to get frustrated by keeping the platforming challenging... And when I have played it, I didn't have the end screw up and kill me off - and when I was playing, I purposely played badly.
    It was just the last one. I know I activated it. It's actually pretty common for these "emitted" checkpoints to fail every once in a while. Don't know why it happens, and it's about impossible to have it happen at will. Obviously it's your choice... but I would personally choose to have either 1 or 2 double life checkpoints sitting next to each other (although if they are next to each other they need to be spaced out a bit so they work properly). I had this same issue happen with the Hiest 2 final boss and Expedition Yukon with the infinite checkpoints. Every once in a while the emitted checkpoint will fail and you lose all of your lives at once.

Quote Originally Posted by dobi6
    I really like the idea of making a the thing not open unless it is over the graves... But I played it a while, and it is really a situation where it is hard to screw up...
    I screwed it up :P. I was trying to do it quickly and pulled the wrong one. But, then again.... your call. It really wasn't THAT far into the game where I would have been frustrated. But, generally anytime you can avoid a design that requires restarting if you mess up it's better.
    F4F Participant

20. Thanks!

I will ponder how to deal with that area.

As for the checkpoints... I will see what the prevailing winds lean towards...

Just wanted to let you know, though - the design of the skulls is certainly not a big deal... but if it helps:

1. Maybe have some invisible (thin dark matter) material underneath the moving platform when it's positioned to the left so you can't open the trap door.

2. If the skull is dropped in the wrong hole, emit it back up where it was with a magic mouth saying something like "You moron! That was the wrong hole!". I'm assuming it each skull simply has a colored magnetic key attached to it. If this is the case, it may be a quick fix.
    F4F Participant

23. Thanks!

1. Maybe have some invisible (thin dark matter) material underneath the moving platform when it's positioned to the left so you can't open the trap door.
    That is a good idea.

2. If the skull is dropped in the wrong hole, emit it back up where it was with a magic mouth saying something like "You moron! That was the wrong hole!". I'm assuming it each skull simply has a colored magnetic key attached to it. If this is the case, it may be a quick fix.
    Ha ha... I was going to try to make something to kick the skull back up if you did that and say something like that.

Level completed: 75%, Points required for next Level: 154
    7 days registered 1000 Experience Points 500 Experience Points 250 Experience Points 100 Experience Points
    PSN
    Alexxerth
    Blog Entries

I liked this level. Not much i can say. A bit creepy and the black and white was sorta hard to get used to.

F4f My luxury spaceship level plz.

26. Thanks!

Grand Den Mod-er of LBPC Morgana25's Avatar
    Level completed: 56%, Points required for next Level: 853

PSN
    Morgana25

OMG! Is there a word greater than love......adore? Yes I adore this level.

ok bad stuff first - real quick so I can gush about the level ok?

I had the same problem with the 3 skull puzzle that CCubbage did. Although I was dumb enough to screw it up the first time through. 'doh! Also, the infinite checkpoint, although good in theory, was a level ender for me too in the final boss area. You can't jump back up if you bounce down to the bad guy thinking you set off the save point only to realize that you stepped on the button on the way down and your activated check point is now kaput. ok - that's the only problems I had/saw in it.

Now onto the awesomeness that is the rest of the level! You had me at the first crack of lighting. The black and white is beautifully done. It's atmosphere is just like the Bela Lugosi version of Dracula - high contrast occasionally washed out by bright lighting - it's just gorgeous!

Wonderfully sculpted terrain and details - the rocks you jump before the castle are fantastically positioned and proportioned too. The church and graveyard are excellent as well. The castle section is pure genius I think. Really good use of all five planes of the level so you get some amazingly deep areas. Nice platforming in the castle too. Enough challenge to keep one on their toes but not so much it's tricky.

Imagine my surprise to get a shout out too.....for the record - I loved the level before I got to that point. And that's the truth.

I'll need to play it again to see your finale but I'm certain it's just as amazing as the rest that I've seen.... unless you put a rocket cheetah in there somewhere?!? j/k. 5 Stars and a heart.... and THIS one got you a creator heart. Really excellent work - I can't wait to see what you come up with next!

sig by chuck_18mp illustration by TheZimInvader

Chroma Stone Chronicles Veriddian's Gem | Pyrra's Gem | Cerrulean's Gem | Irridia's Gem | Abyssia's Lair
    Dragons of Myth Egypt | Teotihuacan | Iceland | Greece
    Fire and Ice
    Sackrificed MM Picked! lbp.me link for Sackrificed

Morgana25 on lbp.me

Don't mess with Morgana or you get the wand

28. Thanks!

Level completed: 40%, Points required for next Level: 853
    Recommendation Second Class 10000 Experience Points 5000 Experience Points 1000 Experience Points 500 Experience Points
    PSN
    Coxy224
    Blog Entries

Just remembered I had a problem with this level (very minor, and seems to have only happened to me). In the first platforming section, when the rocks fall onto you, well they just missed me and then fell into the gas below. Problem was, whenever I fell down at that point, I wasn't killed because the rocks were clogging the space up
    Still, this is a very god level and that's just a minor thing for you to change

Sig by the awesome Val
    PSN: Coxy224
    Showcased in PSP & PSV: Minecart Madness [Spotlighted!] | The Great Palace Of Emitters [Spotlighted!] | [VCC] The Christmas Arcade [Vita Christmas Countdown Level]
    Member of Ladies of LBPC Social Group

30. Thanks!

This was a Brilliant level, 5 stars and hearted. Mind checking out my project in sig?

I do F4F!

32. Thanks!

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast