BG1, PRELOAD BG2, PRELOAD

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default BELOW THE ROOT - Chapter 2 : Along the Roots (Spotlighted! w/pics)

BELOW THE ROOT - Chapter 2 : Along the Roots
    (chapter 1 was Spotlighted!)
    PSN = mindphaser74

Chapter 2 is up and ready for all to play. Here are some pics!

http://s601.photobucket.com/albums/t...view=slideshow (still have an ancient camera though so pics could be better)

Here are pics of Chapter 1 for those who missed it:

http://s601.photobucket.com/albums/t...view=slideshow

You are continuing the quest to save Green-Sky (treetop village home) from the destruction of the forest and your treetop civilization. You've now left Green-Sky after not finding any answers to the problem there. The village's mayor has told you to travel to Temple Grund to seek the wisdom of the monks to determine the next course of action, but the path to Temple Grund is a long and diffucult one. The dark forest floor is riddled with various dangers and secrets. Can you survive long enough to see Chapter 3?

I will list the features:

1. More platformer than RPG (unlike Ch 1)
    2. All new enemies and a big boss, the Maggot Queen! (and her babies)
    3. Reward system that has 35 secrets that unlock a point bubble extravaganza near the level's end.
    4. Much more linear gameplay than Chapter 1 but with lots of secret hiding places.
    5. Point bubbles generously distributed throughout level
    6. Gnome Village (has some RPG elements here)
    7. Fly the Peacock/Woodpecker though the treetops
    8. Sonic the Hedgehog - like plungers
    9. Small pinball type mini-game
    10. Lots of swings and vines
    11. Discover the "Wand of Befal"
    12. Fun gameplay and playtested extensively
    13. Gorgeous visuals, great sound and mixed music
    14. Another LONG level that used up every last space of therm

So I hope you all like it. I had to build this level from scratch twice (my little kid deleted the first attempt just minutes before I was to publish it). That's why it took over 3 weeks for chapter 2. I will get to work now on the prologue for this series before moving on to chapter 3.

Have fun with chapter 2
    Last edited by mindphaser74; 06-08-2009 at 09:19 PM.

** Spotlighted - BELOW THE ROOT - Chapter 1 : Green-Sky ** Spotlighted - BELOW THE ROOT - Chapter 2 : Along the Roots ** Spotlighted - BELOW THE ROOT - PREQUEL : Sewing Seeds ** Spotlighted - BELOW THE ROOT - Chapter 3 : Temple Grund

LOVED the first one - I'm putting this on my playlist for tonight!
    F4F Participant
    Levels published: F4F: LIBERATOR - Spotlighted!!!! -, Vectroids - MM Picked!!! Spotlighted!!!! -, Sea Dragon -Spotlighted-, Roll out the Barrel! -Spotlighted-, Splat Invaders III: Insurrection - Spotlighted-, Destiny! -Spotlighted! MM Community pick!-, Vertigo! -Spotlighted-, Splat Invaders Saga -Spotlighted! IGN Pick!-, Splat Invaders II: The Caverns of Splat -Spotlighted!-, Tiger Woods Mini Golf -Spotlighted!-, Starship Troopers -Spotlighted!-

3. Thanks!

Grand Den Mod-er of LBPC Morgana25's Avatar
    Level completed: 56%, Points required for next Level: 853
    Overall activity: 0%

PSN
    Morgana25

Looks beautiful - It's on my list too! Congrats on getting it rebuilt so fast!

sig by chuck_18mp illustration by TheZimInvader

Chroma Stone Chronicles Veriddian's Gem | Pyrra's Gem | Cerrulean's Gem | Irridia's Gem | Abyssia's Lair
    Dragons of Myth Egypt | Teotihuacan | Iceland | Greece
    Fire and Ice
    Sackrificed MM Picked! lbp.me link for Sackrificed

Morgana25 on lbp.me

Don't mess with Morgana or you get the wand

5. Thanks!

Level completed: 51%, Points required for next Level: 345
    Recommendation Second Class 5000 Experience Points 1000 Experience Points 500 Experience Points 250 Experience Points
    PSN
    mindphaser74

thanks guys, I hope it works smoothly for you. Some guy on another LBP forum I frequent (don't worry, not near as good a site as this one) said that he and another guy tried playing it 2 player, but that it was too sluggish to play and that they quit after 1/2 a minute? As far as I know, this 1st minute lagg is common with multiplayers on a level and you just need to wait it out. Is this the case? Does anyone know?

** Spotlighted - BELOW THE ROOT - Chapter 1 : Green-Sky ** Spotlighted - BELOW THE ROOT - Chapter 2 : Along the Roots ** Spotlighted - BELOW THE ROOT - PREQUEL : Sewing Seeds ** Spotlighted - BELOW THE ROOT - Chapter 3 : Temple Grund

I don't review levels multiplayer unless it's a multi-player-only level. It's really unfair to judge a level based on the possibility that the issue has nothing to do with the creator. I've definately had serious lag sometimes in multiplayer.
    F4F Participant
    Levels published: F4F: LIBERATOR - Spotlighted!!!! -, Vectroids - MM Picked!!! Spotlighted!!!! -, Sea Dragon -Spotlighted-, Roll out the Barrel! -Spotlighted-, Splat Invaders III: Insurrection - Spotlighted-, Destiny! -Spotlighted! MM Community pick!-, Vertigo! -Spotlighted-, Splat Invaders Saga -Spotlighted! IGN Pick!-, Splat Invaders II: The Caverns of Splat -Spotlighted!-, Tiger Woods Mini Golf -Spotlighted!-, Starship Troopers -Spotlighted!-

8. Thanks!

PSN
    Morgana25

I know when I'm in multiplayer there is always a few seconds of lag when we all drop in a level. It usually smooths out after a few seconds but it all depends on the players connections. Most of my online friends have decent connection speed but when I'm playing with a friend from New Zealand the lag is awful.

Do you have a lot of lighting or moving parts at the start of the level? That can really crank up the lag on a level. If so it might help minimize the frustration from players if you tone down the very beginning - but I wouldn't change it if it's not being reported from a ton of players on your level.

Chroma Stone Chronicles Veriddian's Gem | Pyrra's Gem | Cerrulean's Gem | Irridia's Gem | Abyssia's Lair
    Fire and Ice

Morgana25 on lbp.me

10. Thanks!

Recommendation Second Class 5000 Experience Points 1000 Experience Points 500 Experience Points 250 Experience Points
    PSN
    mindphaser74

Quote Originally Posted by CCubbage View Post
    I don't review levels multiplayer unless it's a multi-player-only level. It's really unfair to judge a level based on the possibility that the issue has nothing to do with the creator. I've definately had serious lag sometimes in multiplayer.
    Thanks, I've had some bad lagg too, usually when hooking up with players from the other side of the globe.

Quote Originally Posted by Morgana25 View Post
    I know when I'm in multiplayer there is always a few seconds of lag when we all drop in a level. It usually smooths out after a few seconds but it all depends on the players connections. Most of my online friends have decent connection speed but when I'm playing with a friend from New Zealand the lag is awful.

Do you have a lot of lighting or moving parts at the start of the level? That can really crank up the lag on a level. If so it might help minimize the frustration from players if you tone down the very beginning - but I wouldn't change it if it's not being reported from a ton of players on your level.
    I have some lights and a couple of moving enemies (caterpillar has 5 sets of legs). Other than that though, I don't think there's too much happening at the level start. 1 player plays smooth as butter and I haven't tried 2 player on this level yet. The guy I mentioned earlier who mentioned the lagg probably was just having connectivity issues with his server and the other guy's server.

I've played the first level, and I loved it. I thought I'd give this a go. Here's the deal. I've made two efforts to play this, but both times it broke on me making it impossible to finish.
    the first time it was at the part where you get shot up, and it curves around like a pinball
    machine, and you have to grab all the shells to make the floor disappear. Well I grabbed all the shells and nothing happened. I fooled around a little bit and couldn't do anything so I restarted. I'm guessing maybe somehow one got destroyed before I could grab it?
    On my second run I passed the part I just mentioned no prob. When I got to the part just after the village, I made it up to talk to the little knome dude. I went back down, and I was working my way back up the vines. I bumped the smallest one to the right somehow it must have got caught on something and broke. I don't know, but I didn't have the patience to try again. I'll for sure try again tomorrow. So far what I've seen It's a good continuation of the first. It doesn't seem to be quite as rpg oriented as the first, but then again I haven't finished it yet. So far good though.

13. Thanks!

PSN
    mindphaser74

Quote Originally Posted by smasher1973 View Post
    I've played the first level, and I loved it. I thought I'd give this a go. Here's the deal. I've made two efforts to play this, but both times it broke on me making it impossible to finish.
    the first time it was at the part where you get shot up, and it curves around like a pinball
    machine, and you have to grab all the shells to make the floor disappear. Well I grabbed all the shells and nothing happened. I fooled around a little bit and couldn't do anything so I restarted. I'm guessing maybe somehow one got destroyed before I could grab it?
    On my second run I passed the part I just mentioned no prob. When I got to the part just after the village, I made it up to talk to the little knome dude. I went back down, and I was working my way back up the vines. I bumped the smallest one to the right somehow it must have got caught on something and broke. I don't know, but I didn't have the patience to try again. I'll for sure try again tomorrow. So far what I've seen It's a good continuation of the first. It doesn't seem to be quite as rpg oriented as the first, but then again I haven't finished it yet. So far good though.
    Thanks for the heads up on these issues. I've run through the pinball area about a dozen times and never had a shell break, at the moment I'm not sure if I should try to do anything about that or if I do, what could be done. Have to think about that one. Maybe stiff rods instead of the string? I'll play through the level another 1/2 dozen times and see if it happens and how it happens.

Thinking back about the vine setup above the village, I think I can see now how that can happen and should be an easy fix. I think you probably hit a dissolve tree-branch that comes to a point at the bottom. If I curve that point and the edge to the right, that should do the trick.

Aside from my son deleting the original Chapter 2 just minutes before I was going to publish it, I had all kinds of other problems with making this level. It was a sophisticated build and took forever to get any kind of polish. I'm glad to see that there are still only a couple of hiccups to fix. Thanks again smasher.

PS the series Prologue should be ready to play in 5-10 days. Will probably be very light on RPG and platforming but heavy on visuals and atmosphere.

PSN
    Morgana25

Just finished it and it's amazing! It's got a lot in common stylistically with the first one which is cool because it's part of the series, but it's different enough in a lot of ways not to feel like you're playing the first one again.

Brilliant idea with the shells - keeps you looking for new nooks and crannies to explore!

Hard platforming on the branches that drop and some of the swings are a challenge but nothing that left me feeling like it wasn't my fault for missing something.

Maggot Queen is spectacular and icky all at the same time. lol I wasn't quite sure how to proceed after riding the lift up to the branch above her but figured I'd throw the eggs/rocks? down and since they made the right sound I knew I was on the right track. Bird is beautifully designed but the ride to the left is LONG. It didn't totally bother me but it broke the flow and a lot of players might find it boring. I don't know how tight your set up is up there but could you have multiple birds you needed to switch between, or something simpler to break up the straight line. I know you've got the bubbles and the trees breaking it up visually but there's not much to actually do to break up the line.

Brilliant idea with the wand and i love that it's purple (nothing else in the level is so it really stands out.) My only problem with the wand is that the purple end must point to the right to get the roots cut. It's a minor thing but I needed to flip it a few times to get it to work. I get why you'd set it up that way but it could be a little frustrating to some players.

Also loved how the Maggot Queen was "dealt with." Really creative.

5 stars and hearted of course - it's brilliant - doubly so because of the rebuild. Nice work and well done! Thanks for sharing it.

Fire and Ice

Morgana25 on lbp.me

16. Thanks!

PSN
    mindphaser74

Thanks for the advice Morgana, I will use it where I can.

Just finished it and it's amazing! It's got a lot in common stylistically with the first one which is cool because it's part of the series, but it's different enough in a lot of ways not to feel like you're playing the first one again.

Brilliant idea with the shells - keeps you looking for new nooks and crannies to explore!

Hard platforming on the branches that drop and some of the swings are a challenge but nothing that left me feeling like it wasn't my fault for missing something.

Maggot Queen is spectacular and icky all at the same time. lol I wasn't quite sure how to proceed after riding the lift up to the branch above her but figured I'd throw the eggs/rocks? down and since they made the right sound I knew I was on the right track. Bird is beautifully designed but the ride to the left is LONG. It didn't totally bother me but it broke the flow and a lot of players might find it boring. I don't know how tight your set up is up there but could you have multiple birds you needed to switch between, or something simpler to break up the straight line. I know you've got the bubbles and the trees breaking it up visually but there's not much to actually do to break up the line.
    I agree that the ride is a bit long, I probably should have used 1 less tree to give me more therm space to do stuff with that ride. As it is, there might be enough therm space to add something extra up there, I will try. But to add multiple birds would require much more therm space than I have left. So I'll have to think about this. I originally intended for the player to be able to get off the bird at each tree and do some platforming, but again the therm space got in the way so I had to have the bird used primarily to get you from one side of the level to the other.

Just had a good idea though... I could SPEED up the bird's flight by adjusting the incline it travels along. That would shorten the trip! Or I could make the wheel use a motor bolt.

Brilliant idea with the wand and i love that it's purple (nothing else in the level is so it really stands out.) My only problem with the wand is that the purple end must point to the right to get the roots cut. It's a minor thing but I needed to flip it a few times to get it to work. I get why you'd set it up that way but it could be a little frustrating to some players.
    Yeah if I increased the radius so that you could cut the branches with the handle, that wouldn't make much sense. I chose logic over functionality for this one.

Also loved how the Maggot Queen was "dealt with." Really creative.
    Thanks, she was the first REAL big boss I've made and I thought she creeped me out. My heart always revs up a little whenever I approached the Queen

5 stars and hearted of course - it's brilliant - doubly so because of the rebuild. Nice work and well done! Thanks for sharing it.
    I will look to polish a little more. Another thing that I should do is slow down the elevator in the bird-tree, so that you don't have to use it multiple times to get all the score bubbles you've unlocked. I might not have the chance to do these today but by tomorrow at the latest for sure.

And my next level release might not be for another 20 days or so because I decided last night that I will release 2 levels at once. Because one of the levels I am currently making is just a title/prologue level to introduce the series, I plan on making a BONUS level to go along with it, probably something similar to the Grand Hall in chapter 1. This will not have story to it and will require a key (which I will place in chapter 2) to play. The Prologue won`t require a key but probably won`t have any story either. Then chapter 3 will be subtitled Temple Grund and will make use of the Spirit Bell from the original 1984 game.

Thanks again everyone, please let me know if there are any other problems with this level you find or hear about. I myself will be level-PLAYING soon, as soon as I have the final polish applied to Chapter 2.
    Last edited by mindphaser74; 04-10-2009 at 04:06 PM.

well... I've tried the level again today, and I got stuck twice at the pinball part. I know I grabbed all of the shells both times, it even made the little sound effect so I know none were destroyed. Believe me I know how this game can be. I've sat there yanking my hair out many times because something will work fine 10 even 20 times, and then all of a sudden it will mess up for some reason or another. If your interested I have a solution for you. All you have to do is place a magnetic key switch on the wall. Crank the radius up there, and set it to inverted. Now hookvel it to the floor. Now place a key on each of the shells, and voila it should work. I think this is a fool proof way of doing this because
    if you grab a shell the key will disappear with it, or if a shell somehow gets destroyed the key will also disappear. Either way once all the keys are gone the switch triggers, and the floor will disappear. let me know if you get this fixed, because I really want to play this level.
    key will disappear.

19. Thanks!

PSN
    Morgana25

I didn't have any problems with that section? Strange.

Wanted to say I think speeding up the bird might be a good solution if you're stuck with a maxed thermo.

And yea - maggot queen....eeeeewwwwww!!!! lol

Fire and Ice

Morgana25 on lbp.me

21. Thanks!

PSN
    mindphaser74

well... I've tried the level again today, and I got stuck twice at the pinball part. I know I grabbed all of the shells both times, it even made the little sound effect so I know none were destroyed. Believe me I know how this game can be. I've sat there yanking my hair out many times because something will work fine 10 even 20 times, and then all of a sudden it will mess up for some reason or another. If your interested I have a solution for you. All you have to do is place a magnetic key switch on the wall. Crank the radius up there, and set it to inverted. Now hookvel it to the floor. Now place a key on each of the shells, and voila it should work. I think this is a fool proof way of doing this because
    if you grab a shell the key will disappear with it, or if a shell somehow gets destroyed the key will also disappear. Either way once all the keys are gone the switch triggers, and the floor will disappear. let me know if you get this fixed, because I really want to play this level.
    key will disappear.
    I like that solution smasher, I see no reason why it won't work. I think I have some free time now to make these fixes, I'll report back here to this thread when they are ready. PS your solution will allow me to remove the multi-switch sitting on the tree out of site and will free up precious millimeters on my therm, thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by mindphaser74 View Post
    I like that solution smasher, I see no reason why it won't work. I think I have some free time now to make these fixes, I'll report back here to this thread when they are ready. PS your solution will allow me to remove the multi-switch sitting on the tree out of site and will free up precious millimeters on my therm, thanks.
    any time. I look forward to finishing it.

PSN
    mindphaser74

any time. I look forward to finishing it.
    I was 5-10 minutes from publishing again when my wife decided her show was on TV But I fixed everything, your solution worked perfect. The bird flight is MUCH better now (thanks to Morgana for bringing that to my attention); quicker and some touches of atmosphere added (almost doubled the level's pistons and emitters by touching this section up somehow). There is now a gnome by the bird's nest who explains what to do there. I added more directional arrows that dissolve out or emit into the level. I adjusted the branch setup above the gnome village so that the branches can never tangle. I slowed the big tree-elevator down to allow more time to grab all the points on the first run.
    I didn't increase the radius on the Wand though because I want players to have to "point" it at the obstacles for its effect to work.

I may add flowers around the tree bases and roots IF it looks good. So if I can get on the game again tonight I should be able to publish by 9-10 Pacific Time. If not then early tomorrow morning.

PSN
    mindphaser74

OK the edits are all done and the level is even better. All the added stuff hardley touched the therm meter

I thought you had so many cool things about your level... - Stylistically, I loved the lighting, misty feeling and everything... And I was enjoying it a ton... Until I got to the village... I really found that part a big slow down compared to the rest of the level.

After a time, I didn't bother going on... As it was a bit too much of a challenge for me to want to try to find all the gnomes... Guess I am not that good about RPG games.
    ** I Use Feedback4Feedback **
    PSN: Dobi6
    PUBLISHED LEVELS: "King O Side" - Spotlighted! - Thread, "Lost Under Glass" - Spotlighted! - Thread,
    "Little Dark And Stormy Night" - Spotlighted! - Thread

27. Thanks!

PSN
    mindphaser74

thanks for giving it a try dobi

29. Thanks!

Ok. I finally got to finish it. Generally, I really liked it. It is a good continuation of the first level. From the looks of it that's what you were going for. I love rpg's so I kind of liked the first level better, but on the other hand I love platformers too. This level is a little of both.
    I gave it 5 stars and a heart. I really liked what you did with the little camp fires. I really liked what you did with the whole atmosphere, and the boss was pretty cool. I only have one gripe. I would like to have seen it be a little more rpg oriented, but all around I still thought it was a great job.

31. Thanks!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast