BG1, PRELOAD BG2, PRELOAD

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Going slow

Default Going slow

I have noticed this site taking a lot longer to load pages recently. I've found this from two seperate computers. I've also had my internet Explorer restart due to this site. It mentions it searches online for a solutions then closes. Anyone else had this or is it just me?
    Jungle Fun (Spotlighted), F4F: Thread
    Little Big Aliens, Evil Bear +,
    Snowboard Owl Hunt.

Quote Originally Posted by bindibaji View Post
    I have noticed this site taking a lot longer to load pages recently. I've found this from two seperate computers. I've also had my internet Explorer restart due to this site. It mentions it searches online for a solutions then closes. Anyone else had this or is it just me?
    I haven't - but then again, I don't use Internet Explorer. Has anyone else been having issues?

Quote Originally Posted by bindibaji View Post
    Well, i gotta tell you, Internet Explorer is REALLY slow, that's probably why, try changing to Firefox or Opera, and you should se a great improvememnt in your browsing speed

Quote Originally Posted by Silverleon View Post
    Well, i gotta tell you, Internet Explorer is REALLY slow, that's probably why, try changing to Firefox or Opera, and you should se a great improvememnt in your browsing speed
    Talk about a nightmare for managing a website - I feel like I'm doing workarounds all the time to get things running smoothly on that archaic browser. Still, there's a ton of people who don't use the internet for more than casual browsing and email, so IE is still around to hassle me.

Quote Originally Posted by Silverleon View Post
    I could load firefox at home but my work computer is stuck with IE.
    Jungle Fun (Spotlighted), F4F: Thread
    Little Big Aliens, Evil Bear +,
    Snowboard Owl Hunt.

Waiting for LBP3 patch !! mistervista's Avatar
    Level completed: 83%, Points required for next Level: 195
    Overall activity: 11.0%
    Recommendation Second Class 10000 Experience Points 5000 Experience Points 1000 Experience Points 500 Experience Points
    PSN
    mistervista

I've had the same problems recently. I use IE but it was perfect until you started with the 'adverts'.

I didn't mind the idea of the ads at all and realise it's a necessary source of revenue but when they start interfering with how well the site works then I take a dislike to them.

Someone suggested the fault was because I recently had the IE8 update on my PC but I have the same problems on the laptop aswell even though I have not put IE8 on that.

Both worked perfectly before and now both are slow to load the pages.
    Sig by Rhyfelwr
    : HOMAGE 1: " Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea", Sheriff Sack 2: On the trail of Texas Jack,Pirates Of The Caribbean - Part 1: The Compass and Jack Sparrow, PLASMAVILLE-Winner of Sackcast Gadders Trial , Sheriff Sack: Cleaning up the town of Sackwood.

Level completed: 40%, Points required for next Level: 853
    Overall activity: 0%
    Recommendation Second Class 10000 Experience Points 5000 Experience Points 1000 Experience Points 500 Experience Points
    PSN
    Coxy224
    Blog Entries

I have IE and I've not really noticed much difference since the adverts. Not sure what version I'm using though (but I'm pretty sure it's old)

Sig by the awesome Val
    PSN: Coxy224
    Showcased in PSP & PSV: Minecart Madness [Spotlighted!] | The Great Palace Of Emitters [Spotlighted!] | [VCC] The Christmas Arcade [Vita Christmas Countdown Level]
    Member of Ladies of LBPC Social Group

Honestly, it's a problem with IE - there's nothing we can do short of removing the ads that will speed up loading. I suggesting using any one of the standards-compliant (e.g. not IE) browsers, such as Firefox, Opera, or Safari. Chrome is a good option as well but it's rendering engine isn't perfect just yet, so while it works fine for our site, you might experience problems elsewhere. If you are not going to try another browser and you are still annoyed by the slowness of IE, the only other option is donating to the site - $10 gets you 3 months of ad-free access plus an enhanced profile. If you can afford it, it's a good option.

Level completed: 62%, Points required for next Level: 422
    7 days registered 5000 Experience Points 1000 Experience Points 500 Experience Points 250 Experience Points
    PSN
    Mattifcation

Never had any problems until last night. It was terrible. Seems fine again today though so I'm hoping it was just a blip.

I use IE, and I have no problem whatsoever. Obviously, if the ads are on different servers there's now more things that can cause slowdown that are beyond the sites control, but every day IE has been working fine.
    F4F Participant
    Levels published: F4F: LIBERATOR - Spotlighted!!!! -, Vectroids - MM Picked!!! Spotlighted!!!! -, Sea Dragon -Spotlighted-, Roll out the Barrel! -Spotlighted-, Splat Invaders III: Insurrection - Spotlighted-, Destiny! -Spotlighted! MM Community pick!-, Vertigo! -Spotlighted-, Splat Invaders Saga -Spotlighted! IGN Pick!-, Splat Invaders II: The Caverns of Splat -Spotlighted!-, Tiger Woods Mini Golf -Spotlighted!-, Starship Troopers -Spotlighted!-

Yup I also use IE most of the time and I got zero problems with the forum. Sometimes google ads is slow though.

Sackperson Private hilightnotes's Avatar
    Level completed: 84%, Points required for next Level: 177
    Your First Group 5000 Experience Points 1000 Experience Points 500 Experience Points 250 Experience Points
    PSN
    hilightnotes
    Blog Entries

Unrelated to this topic completely, all I have to say is

WHY IS ANYONE USING IE???????

It's the worst. browser. ever.

Get FF or Chrome (or Safari on a mac).

Quote Originally Posted by hilightnotes View Post

We have many people who don't use their PCs for more than casual things - email, light browsing, etc. Many of those users are new to a forum setup - which is basically a smaller, more code-heavy website - and haven't needed an alternate browser before.

That said, now that you guys know, make the switch! There's a link in my signature. Firefox will transfer all of your browsing history, saved passwords, and bookmarks from IE, so the switch will be relatively painless. Plus, think of all the great addons and themes you can get for Firefox! It's a lot more customizable than IE and it runs smoother as well.

Lol, I'll definately need to ask my mum about getting firefox (or "fasterfox?") as she gets really annoyed when I download stuff w/out asking.

On topic, I have definately noticed MAJOR slowdown lately on this site.

I do F4F!

Quote Originally Posted by dkjestrup View Post
    Lol, I'll definately need to ask my mum about getting firefox (or "fasterfox?") as she gets really annoyed when I download stuff w/out asking.

On topic, I have definately noticed MAJOR slowdown lately on this site.
    "Fasterfox" is actually an addon you can get for Firefox that speeds up webpage loading. It does a lot of under-the-hood tweaks, but overall you'll notice faster loading and less waiting.

Also, if it matters, tell your mother that Firefox is small and safe. It even checks files for viruses automatically before it allows you to open them (which is a quick process - 2-3 seconds tops).

Level completed: 51%, Points required for next Level: 345
    Recommendation Second Class 5000 Experience Points 1000 Experience Points 500 Experience Points 250 Experience Points
    PSN
    mindphaser74

Sorry I'm late with this reply but here it is:

I use IE and have absolutely NO problems, it has to be something else.
    Your site takes 2 seconds to load honestly.

** Spotlighted - BELOW THE ROOT - Chapter 1 : Green-Sky ** Spotlighted - BELOW THE ROOT - Chapter 2 : Along the Roots ** Spotlighted - BELOW THE ROOT - PREQUEL : Sewing Seeds ** Spotlighted - BELOW THE ROOT - Chapter 3 : Temple Grund

Quote Originally Posted by mindphaser74 View Post
    Sorry I'm late with this reply but here it is:

I use IE and have absolutely NO problems, it has to be something else.
    Your site takes 2 seconds to load honestly.
    What version do you use?

By the way, I wasn't trying to harp on IE with the notice, I was just offering up the best alternative for someone interested in faster rendering speeds.

Recommendation Second Class 5000 Experience Points 1000 Experience Points 500 Experience Points 250 Experience Points
    PSN
    mindphaser74

Quote Originally Posted by hilightnotes View Post

I have to use IE because I designed a boardgame and coded a site to let me playtest the game offline but because my coding knowledge is limited I couldn't get it to work in FF or any of the others

** Spotlighted - BELOW THE ROOT - Chapter 1 : Green-Sky ** Spotlighted - BELOW THE ROOT - Chapter 2 : Along the Roots ** Spotlighted - BELOW THE ROOT - PREQUEL : Sewing Seeds ** Spotlighted - BELOW THE ROOT - Chapter 3 : Temple Grund

PSN
    mindphaser74

Quote Originally Posted by ConfusedCartman View Post
    What version do you use?

By the way, I wasn't trying to harp on IE with the notice, I was just offering up the best alternative for someone interested in faster rendering speeds.
    Am currently at version 7.0

I understand. It is a good suggestion.

Quote Originally Posted by mindphaser74 View Post
    Am currently at version 7.0

I understand. It is a good suggestion.
    That is probably why - I believe I'm using 8, though I can't be sure. In any case, it wasn't fast enough for me. Sometimes the page would seem as if it stalled, then all of a sudden everything would appear. It was really inconsistent.

21. Thanks!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast