BG1, PRELOAD BG2, PRELOAD

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Level completed: 93%, Points required for next Level: 115
    Overall activity: 0%
    Your First Group 10000 Experience Points 5000 Experience Points 1000 Experience Points 500 Experience Points
    PSN
    rtm223
    Blog Entries

Default Demitters - New demitter switch added!!! 2010/03/10

A technique for dissolving anything, including the MM pre-made objects / spikes etc. Also used as a nifty, stress-free, puzzle room reset, for those times when reset logic is hurting your befuzzled mind. 100% free from all artifical colours, flavours and glitches

There are actually loads of uses for this i've found, but I'm only covered a couple in the demo. PSN: rtm223, level name "TECH DEMO - Demitters, Remitters & Dissolve Anything"

Comments / questions welcomed.

UPDATED 2009/07/05
    Ok, so technically I haven't updated my tech demo, I was too lazy for that. What I've done is publish a second level with logic switches to make your life easier. They may not be the best designs in the world (especially if you don't like emitter logic) but they work and they are collectable.

edit - To clarify. There are 4 switches available. 2 are for demit / remit at will, and 2 are for reset (which is just a demit followed immediately by remit). The reason there are two for each is that the method has issues dealing with emitting objects at speed. Essentially, the piston is still moving when the emitter emits, so the object is emitted with a velocity. In some cases this will be fast enough to break things. Version 1 of the circuits does not account for this so is only useful for "solid" objects, where everything is glued together. The version 2 of the circuits is more complex, and completely solves the issue of fast emitting. 2 is the better circuit, 1 is the streamlined and easier to understand version.

• Demit/Remit Switch 1 - allows you to demit / remit at will, using a directional input. This only works if you have a solid object (i.e everything glued together), see the level for what happens otherwise.
    • Demit/Remit Switch 2 - as above, but has a delay 0.1s included so that you can remit objects that have loose or loosely connected components in them
    • Reset Switch 1 - Does a Demit then a remit rapidly, allowing you to reset your object using a 1-shot input. Only if everything is glued together.
    • Reset Switch 2 - As above, but includes delays again.

The level is called "Demitter Switches - Free Logic Prizes", I think. The original tech demo also still exists. I will merge at some point.

Enjoy.

Spoiler Spoiler - This stuff doesn't apply any more
    Last edited by rtm223; 03-10-2010 at 01:23 AM.

Level completed: 45%, Points required for next Level: 442
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    7 days registered 5000 Experience Points 1000 Experience Points 500 Experience Points 250 Experience Points
    PSN
    Dexiro
    Blog Entries

nice

i'll be using this for my solid light thingy

you should try demitting a room and then remitting a variation of it,
    could be used for some cool puzzles or making rooms easier/harder

Your First Group 10000 Experience Points 5000 Experience Points 1000 Experience Points 500 Experience Points
    PSN
    rtm223
    Blog Entries

The other day I scribbled down an outline for a soul reaver idea, where you could switch between the spectral and material realms at will which would mean an entire level where each room could be swapped out by the player.

This will probably never happen...
    -- ? --

The One With Crazy Ideas johnrulz77's Avatar
    Level completed: 62%, Points required for next Level: 270
    7 days registered 5000 Experience Points 1000 Experience Points 500 Experience Points 250 Experience Points
    PSN
    Twins2004
    Blog Entries

can you get a vid uploaded? or some pics?

Your Lord is calling you... don't keep him waiting...

If you made a Soul Reaver level with fully functional realm shifting, I'd have to LIVE in your level. o_o
    Alive and ready for 3

PSN
    Dexiro
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by rtm223 View Post
    The other day I scribbled down an outline for a soul reaver idea, where you could switch between the spectral and material realms at will which would mean an entire level where each room could be swapped out by the player.

This will probably never happen...
    I've never played soul reaver but i know exactly what you're talking about and that'd be so awesome if you could get it to work

Have you ever played Dim?
    It's a small 2D game, and you have to switch between 2 slightly different dimensions to get past certain obstacles

I'm gonna try it out anyway
    I'll post a demo if i can get it to work

PSN
    rtm223
    Blog Entries

John, there isn't much point in pictures or video, there isn't really anything visual about this, the description I put above pretty much covers it.

This sounds very similar to soul reaver, although that has things like grabbables are only grabbable / moveable in one realm, time stops in one of the realms, water is either deadly / non-existant.

The trick with realm or dimension-shifting would be to have the switches controlling it grabable and suspended in mid air or somewhere, so your sack cannot be in the way of the emitted objects. For multiplayer, you would want a grab switch with a require-all prox switch AND'd (to simulate all players plane shifting).
    -- ? --

PSN
    Dexiro
    Blog Entries

We really need Mm to give us the impact switch

Then for multiplayer you could have a small pad that all the players have to stand on to switch dimensions

PSN
    rtm223
    Blog Entries

*slaps forehead*

Jeez, how did I not think of a pad you stand on. It's the most obvious way - and the portals in SR are actually pads on the floor... So the pad is there and nothing gets emitted too close to the edges or above it, all players have to be well within the edges of it, AND someone has to grab the floor right in the middle. Perfect. Bit of demitter remitter jiggery, bit of GLT, lots and lots of swearing whilst getting it working and voila: bob's your uncle! Now if I can just work out how to do swallowing souls and telekenisis in LBP, I'll be set...

If you do start having a go at this and fancy a bit of collaboration, let me know.
    -- ? --

PSN
    rtm223
    Blog Entries

Just edited the OP with useful info, which I conveniently forgot t'other day.
    -- ? --

Level completed: 12%, Points required for next Level: 530
    7 days registered 1000 Experience Points 500 Experience Points 250 Experience Points 100 Experience Points
    PSN
    phort

That's such an evil puzzle. Failed it the first time on purpose by pulling the blocks down the stairs, but the 2nd and 3rd times were because of the puzzle making itself unsolvable

Anyway, good job. I wish there were a way to do it that didn't involve emitting the objects offscreen, because then you have to make sure that they don't cause trouble where ever they appear. I was thinking about doing something like that for "demitting" objects but i couldn't think of any uses where a creature brain wouldn't do just as well.

This does a cleaner job though, creature brains tend to always make a big ugly pile of objects before disappearing.
    F4F: Cave Story: First Cave — Newly recreated LBP2 style!

Old but good LBP1 level: Jetpack Jettison

ITS ALIIIIIIIIIIVE! Burnvictim42's Avatar
    Level completed: 39%, Points required for next Level: 738
    PSN
    Burnvictim42
    Blog Entries

thats pretty cool there, i have to say. Its a bummer the brain method wont work for point reasons, but thats probably what i'd use if i wanted to remit something, just BC moving the emitter could get messy for me =/

So like in LoZ: Link to the past, where you switch between the light and dark world?

I do F4F!

PSN
    rtm223
    Blog Entries

Yep, brains are a much simpler way to go. But if you look around these forums, there are various threads on disolve anything or something similar, and creature brains always come up, and someone mentions that they aren't clean enough.

I've also used this for building veneer - sacky in the building, veneer disappears. Sacky leaves building, veneer reappears. If I did that with a creature brain you could just hover round the door and score 1000000 points! I also have a room which is reasonably large and a lot of stuff falls apart. At the end, if you haven't left the room you fall to your doom. For failure safety I need to redo the entire room and I'd need about 10 brains or a rediculous amount of disolve to clean up whats left in the room.

It is slightly fiddley to work with, and you have to design in an area to demit to, and those are quite big downsides.

Phort: I'm glad you "enjoyed" my puzzle! It's supposed to be evil anyway, else you wouldn't need a reset buton I was hoping everyone would go straight to the top after the bottom one fails, seems I was right
    -- ? --

LBPCentral Spotlight Crew Kartavitalicious! Night Angel's Avatar
    Level completed: 7%, Points required for next Level: 844
    Overall activity: 41.0%

PSN
    NightAngel321
    Blog Entries

I'll check this out sometime today.

Btw, there are two "s"s in dissolve

"Staring at Craftworld and creating unfinished levels since 2008."
    ★| The Space Temples Saga (Vita) | ★Journey of the Cosmos★ |★

Nice, I've never thought of doing that. Thanks .

Looking for some great levels to play? Follow me on Twitter!

Newest Level:
    A Helping Hand
    (View on LBP.me)

Working on:
    A Pirate's Tale

PSN
    rtm223
    Blog Entries

Btw, there are two "s"s in dissolve
    Gah, I hate you. That one gets me every time. Changed the OP accordingly but the level will have to wait until tonight.

brnxblze: It came about from a) me wanting an on/off switch for emmitters that would keep the object solid for the duration of the "on" signal and b)trying to work out how the magician "teleports" you to the wastelands. I think this is the answer, unless anyone else knows better, after all, he is a "master of emmitters".
    Last edited by rtm223; 05-28-2009 at 09:01 AM.

PSN
    rtm223
    Blog Entries

Bumpetty bump - Update time. See edited OP for details.

i loved the first version.. have tried and failed to utilize successfully the tech within (the machine worked, the thing i used it for sucked.) and look forward to seeing what smarter creators can do with it.

i still want to make a level thats just a room that you change the contents of through play
    (has someone already done this?) but i just go blank when i try to start.

my Levels: Lost Ages I, Lost Ages II, Lost Ages III, Lost Ages IV, Lost Ages V
    Failures: Assault on Cloud Castle (Beta), Roboco 1+2, Lost Ages I (Original Version), Mega City, Der Schplaterhaus
    Projects: Lost Ages VI (LBP2), Mega City Remix (LBP2)
    sig: Coxy

The one thing I forgot to mention: This is a great useful technique but there is one complication. As Objects emmited in create mode don't count as emmitted when you get to play mode, they also don't demit properly! You have to make sure you are paused and delete all before saving. It's a pain but not to bad as long as you bear it in mind. Also, once the area in question is completed you can switch off the emitter (set max at once to 0) until you are ready to publish. This is easier.
    I'm still getting that problem. I used that demitted technique for my gate in my new level. What did you do to fix that?
    New level for F4Fhttp://www.lbpcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=13018

Want individual layers of background material?

check out this posthttp://www.lbpcentral.com/forums/sho...&postcount=120

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast