It's been a while since I played LBP but decided to make another level today called "Electric Booga". I know it probably isn't very good, but it's only my 2nd level. I hope someday I will end up producing lengthy and entertaining levels with well made machines and gadgets, but right now just isn't the time.
It terms of feedback, I was just wondering a few things, then you can leave your own custom feedback.
-Is the stage too short?
-Is it too difficult?
-What basic improvements should I do on my next stage?
-Is there something I over-used, or didn't use enough of?(with the exception of the Electric Tool, since that's the whole theme of the stage)
EDIT:Took some of Matt's advice, no Dark Matter, moved dialogue box, changed stairs to look more like a rock formation, made the last jump a directed fall instead of a blind jump.
Results 1 to 3 of 3
Thread: Electric Booga (My 2nd level)
Electric Booga (My 2nd level)
Last edited by SlyNinja11; 06-07-2009 at 11:27 PM.
Thoughts as they happen:
- The crocs come out of nowhere. I died instantly when I walked to the right. That was a cheap death.
- While the challenges themselves are fine, in that they work well enough for the most part, there is a very plain look to them. It`s just electrified stone in a garden. The floating stone roof looks especially plain and out of place. I`d also suggest against using the actual level floor as the bottom of your level. It never looks particularly great.
- You have a cutscene during a race, which always grates a little as I`m trying to speed things up. Chances are very few people will read it anyway as they`ll skip it as fast as possible.
- Swinging sponges. It`s again, very plain. Just swinging over electrified ground. There`s also an island in the middle that`s unecessary as I can swing all the way across with just the sponges so it only serves to get in the road.
- The spinners are squint, though that may be intentional. And the stairs after the spinners are, in all honesty, horrible. If you were trying to make it look like a rock, I`d suggest the corner editing tool. Far better than just cutting squares into it. Those stairs scream 'H4H' level (see '7 Days' by xKappax)
- The next bit where you jump over the gas; it`s about as simple an obstacle as you can have. Which isn`t a problem until you repeat it a bit later, simply substituting the gas for electricity. It`s not to hard for me, but jumping onto thin columns is a good way to get hit with a one star as it can get very frustrating if you`re not a particularly skilled player.
- Dark matter. I suppose it`s personal taste, but dark matter should really only be used to hold things up rather than to make huge sections of level.
- Just after the lift up, you have to jump onto 3 dark matter circles. Players falling off that fall all the way down to the previous obstacle. There really should be a checkpoint before that as it`s no fun going back over an obstacle that you`ve already beaten. Especially when it wasn`t the best the first time round.
- I`ve already mentioned that after that, you have more jumping on thin columns to do. However, just after that, there`s a blind jump. It`s not exactly clear whether I should jump down before the column or jump over it. I guessed correctly, but it was luck.
On the whole, it`s a very basic level. I liked that it had a good sense of progression. There were very few areas where I was just wandering without anything to do. It was obstacle after obstacle after obstacle which I think is good for a platformer level. However, the main issues are that it looks very plain, and very poor in some places, and that it`s not particularly fun either as obstacles repeat.
The jetpack part was quite good though. I like that you tempted players to risk death for point bubbles (I do something similar with my 'Life on Mars' level). The spinners were also good, but there were only two of them and they go too fast. Almost like you just cranked the speed up as fast as it`ll go 'cos it`s cool'. Also, the level is, with a brief exception, flat along the ground. The spinners would`ve been a good way to change the direction a bit. Maybe making your way up a huge electrified cavern or something by throwing yourslef from spinner to spinner.
Of course, these things come with practice. It`s your second level and obviously you`re still learning. My main suggestion would be to simply play some of the better levels by the creators here for tips about how to improve and to read through the forum as there are always people willing to help.
I hope this didn`t sound like I was slating your level or anything. Just giving honest feedback. Since you showed a desire to improve your levels, it would have been unfair to give you anything less.
EDIT- to answer your specific queries:
-Is the stage too short? Nah. It`s not long, but not short enough to be noticable.
-Is it too difficult? I got through ok. Can definitely see why folks with average skills wouldn`t make it though.
-What basic improvements should I do on my next stage? See above.
-Is there something I over-used, or didn't use enough of? Too much dark matter.
Thanks for the constructive feedback.
I did have the spinners cranked high for a challenge. I guess I'll go re-work the stair section though,that was kind of a last second thing, since there was a chance you'd get flung into the gas on the second spinner, or fly up highly and blindly land on poison gas. I should probably move the speech box the the starting pad, good point. I like the tetherless jetpack maze idea as well, I'm glad you noticed how some point bubbles are there just to kill you as well. I guess I'll try adding more visuals my next stage though, that's one point I'm going to take heavily into mind. I can probably change the dark matter into something else and just use rods to suspend the columns.
Again, thank you a bunch for lengthy well written feedback. I really do appreciate it.