BG1, PRELOAD BG2, PRELOAD

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Sack's On The Beach v1.1

Sack's On The Beach v1.1 by RangerZero
    Welcome to Sack's On The Beach, sequel to Sack's In The City. As its predecessor this is an adventure level aimed at single player. Sackboy is finally on vacation and he ended up in a small village near the beach. But something is going wrong in this place. The citizens are asking Sackboy to help them solve their problems. Sackboy, with his big heart, couldn't say no...

Points in interests:

-Almost freeroaming level. Only one task is mandatory to finish the level.

-Adventure type of level (it seems they are still rare!).

-Multiple different environnements.

-Huge animated boss.

-Day to night cycle while you play

-Some stuff only happens at night.

-The level is having it's own intro room with an optional tutorial.

-Multiple secrets (mainly for score/bubbles)

I hope you have fun playing this. Don't be shy on the feedback. I also have 1 quarter of the thermo left to use (a miracle I tell you) so if you have suggestions for things to add there's more chances I incorporate them.

----------------
    Update 1.1

- Grafitti quest fixed!
    - Emitters on the boss now invisible
    - 10 repawning explosives, up to 3 at a time
    - Jump platforms explained in the tutorial and in-game if you stay near beside the one you absolutely have to use
    - Double checkpoints in some places to help unexperienced gamers

----------------

And lastly, some screenies!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by RangerZero; 08-02-2009 at 02:14 AM.

Tarsier Level Designer comphermc's Avatar
    Level completed: 5%, Points required for next Level: 1,725
    Overall activity: 0%
    Recommendation Second Class 25000 Experience Points 10000 Experience Points 5000 Experience Points 1000 Experience Points
    PSN
    comphermc
    Blog Entries

Wow, sounds awesome. I love the idea of different things happening depending on the time of day. You should expect a play from me in the morning!

Edit: I swear I'm trying to play your level, but it won't connect to the LBP servers!!
    Last edited by comphermc; 07-31-2009 at 04:42 PM.
    Mm Picks: Roller INC 2 | Wizard: Chapter 1 | LittleBigPrius
    Levels: New! -The Button | The Fourth Wall | The Heist: Making a Withdrawal | Rubik's Tube
    Lbp.me profile: comphermc | LittleBigplanet 2 Create Tutorials: LBPlanetorials

Man this level is fun. I didn't get to play it for very long - I'm gonna need to go back and try to finish all the areas tomorrow - but this is DEFINATELY as good as the original (which I consider to be one of my top 10 levels).

Loved the open design, the characters - epic boss!

Great job - 5 stars and a heart from me.
    F4F Participant
    Levels published: F4F: LIBERATOR - Spotlighted!!!! -, Vectroids - MM Picked!!! Spotlighted!!!! -, Sea Dragon -Spotlighted-, Roll out the Barrel! -Spotlighted-, Splat Invaders III: Insurrection - Spotlighted-, Destiny! -Spotlighted! MM Community pick!-, Vertigo! -Spotlighted-, Splat Invaders Saga -Spotlighted! IGN Pick!-, Splat Invaders II: The Caverns of Splat -Spotlighted!-, Tiger Woods Mini Golf -Spotlighted!-, Starship Troopers -Spotlighted!-

4. Thanks!

Level completed: 50%, Points required for next Level: 300
    7 days registered 1000 Experience Points 500 Experience Points 250 Experience Points 100 Experience Points
    PSN
    shredder25
    Blog Entries

I loved this level! This is the first open world level I've played like this, and I must say I am quite impressed.

I could never find all of the graffiti, I'm just not sure what I missed . If you don't move away all of the explosives before you detonate them, then that graffiti gets covered in black, making it basically impossible to find. You might think about moving that one a little further away.

It's also impossible to complete the level if you detonate the explosives all at once. That's what I did my first time, and naturally ended up stuck >_<. You might consider putting in an explosives emitter, so that some player won't go through the entire ghost ship then end up unable to progress without restarting...

I liked how the surfer jumps through the wall between night and day, and the ghost ship rising out of the sea at night (yes, I waited to watch it).

The people moved around very realistically, I loved how the village actually seemed lifelike because of that touch - Very nice! I'd have liked to see a few more little tasks from the villagers though (go get me this, help me get this off the top shelf...).

The boss was very well done, I really enjoyed that segment. There was a point in the caves that there's a hole in the right wall, covered by the first thin plane. I assumed it was a secret and hopped in... to my fiery death. I'm not sure if that was intended or not.

Oh yeah, and the jump platforms were confusing to learn how to use - I stood on one for a minute or two waiting for something to happen. You may want to rework the logic in them a bit to make them a little more user friendly.

Anyway, that's what I thought while I was playing. Spectacular level! I really enjoyed playing through it.

My F4F level-
    Revenge Explored Part 1: The Deception.

6. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Shredator View Post
    I loved this level! This is the first open world level I've played like this, and I must say I am quite impressed.
    You should play Sack's In The City then

It's also impossible to complete the level if you detonate the explosives all at once. That's what I did my first time, and naturally ended up stuck >_<. You might consider putting in an explosives emitter, so that some player won't go through the entire ghost ship then end up unable to progress without restarting...
    In some way I think I hate you. lol
    I'm aware of this but I decided not to emit explosives. I was like "oh, most player won't run out and if they blow up the whole load they deserve to hit "restard level" for their mess". I said to myself I would fix it if people ask... and there you are in the FIRST page of my thread. Looks like I will fix that.

I liked how the surfer jumps through the wall between night and day, and the ghost ship rising out of the sea at night (yes, I waited to watch it).
    Interesting! I also wondered of people would do that. Most players are so fast paced here that I thought I would not receive such comment.
    I wish I could have made those seemless though. There was no convenient ways to make my huge boat "appear" and for the guy to enter his house. At least I guess it looks funny.

I'd have liked to see a few more little tasks from the villagers though (go get me this, help me get this off the top shelf...).
    Actually, if ever you have some cool idea, throw it my way. I might add it if it's cool because I have one quarter thermo left.

The boss was very well done, I really enjoyed that segment. There was a point in the caves that there's a hole in the right wall, covered by the first thin plane. I assumed it was a secret and hopped in... to my fiery death. I'm not sure if that was intended or not.
    Yes it was. I limited the possible deaths on the left but on the right I thought it was evident enough you should go down.

Oh yeah, and the jump platforms were confusing to learn how to use - I stood on one for a minute or two waiting for something to happen. You may want to rework the logic in them a bit to make them a little more user friendly.
    The unconventional nature of those "jump activated platforms" is probably making them a bit obscure. What I will do is a timer activated when you're near and after a while, if sackboy is still there I will pop a message explaining how it works.

Recommendation Second Class 25000 Experience Points 10000 Experience Points 5000 Experience Points 1000 Experience Points
    PSN
    comphermc
    Blog Entries

Darnit! I just spent about 45 minutes playing Sack's in the City, and it wasn't until I came here to give feedback that I realized I was supposed to be playing Sack's on the Beach. My bad, lol. I will have to play the correct level later, but if you want I can PM you feedback on Sack's in the City (if you ever care for feedback anymore).
    Levels: New! -The Button | The Fourth Wall | The Heist: Making a Withdrawal | Rubik's Tube

Level completed: 50%, Points required for next Level: 300
    7 days registered 1000 Experience Points 500 Experience Points 250 Experience Points 100 Experience Points
    PSN
    shredder25
    Blog Entries

Actually, I quite liked the ghost ship rising from the sea. It reminds me of certain versions of the Flying Dutchman legend. In those legends the Flying Dutchman was always seen in the distant horizon with it's own ghostly aura. If the captain then takes his ship to investigate the sighting, he'll never find any trace, regardless of how recently the Dutchman was apparently there. Hence, the legend told that the ship would sink and rise in the sea from time to time.
    I also liked the logic you set up to prevent the ghost ship from sinking while you were on it, that would be quite inconvenient!

It sounds like a good idea with your jump activated platforms, hopefully that will help.

There are quite a few different things you could do for menial tasks. For example, a villager could complain that huge cockroaches have infested their attic and they're afraid to even go up there. Then put a bunch of little harmless monsters with vulnerable brains on the floor for sackboy to jump on, as well as a few glued to the ceiling to be taken care of with the paintinator. Each would have a magnetic key on them, so that a magnetic switch would know when all of them are gone.

Another you could do, a town sackboy tells you that they've locked themselves out of their own house and can't get in. You then climb up on the roof or go into the cellar to break into the house, then pull a switch which opens the door on the inside.

Just fun little menial tasks for a helpful sackboy to take care of before ending the game.

It's SACKS...not SACK'S!
    GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!

Seriously, dude, read my sig. Bad grammar is baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaad.

Anywho, I must play this some time in the near future, your levels are pwn, and this looks just as pwn, if not pwn...er.

PSN
    comphermc
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by 49DRA View Post
    It's SACKS...not SACK'S!
    GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!

Seriously, dude, read my sig. Bad grammar is baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaad.

Anywho, I must play this some time in the near future, your levels are pwn, and this looks just as pwn, if not pwn...er.
    Actually, dude, it's correct. The level is intended for single player, so the title could be:

"Sack is in the City"

But, conveniently, you can put Sack's in place of Sack is. If you're going to be a grammar-Nazi, at least make sure you are correct first. Thanks!

Edit: How can you rip into someone's grammar when your post is concluded with this gem:

Quote Originally Posted by 49DRA View Post
    your levels are pwn, and this looks just as pwn, if not pwn...er.
    Last edited by comphermc; 07-31-2009 at 05:36 PM.

12. Thanks!

Level completed: 93%, Points required for next Level: 115
    Your First Group 10000 Experience Points 5000 Experience Points 1000 Experience Points 500 Experience Points
    PSN
    rtm223
    Blog Entries

Yay for syntactic ambiguity!

I'm now off to go play this methinks.

Quote Originally Posted by comphermc View Post
    Edit: How can you rip into someone's grammar when your post is concluded with this gem:
    What was wrong with that?

Grand Den Mod-er of LBPC Morgana25's Avatar
    Level completed: 56%, Points required for next Level: 853

PSN
    Morgana25

ah yes - This I learned the hard way last night

I also was in such a hurry to try it I ran through with 4x. (Works ok just not on the jump platforms but you already know that and have a nice 1x warning - I just couldn't help it - had to try)

I'll have to go back through it 1x tonight so I can finish the level but what I saw so far looked cool. I enjoyed the shifting characters and the little quest style stuff to do. I'm dying to get into the cave - the lighting in there looks awesome from outside. I'll finish it and re-post. So far 5 stars - I'm sure it will hold up when I finish it.

sig by chuck_18mp illustration by TheZimInvader

Chroma Stone Chronicles Veriddian's Gem | Pyrra's Gem | Cerrulean's Gem | Irridia's Gem | Abyssia's Lair
    Dragons of Myth Egypt | Teotihuacan | Iceland | Greece
    Fire and Ice
    Sackrificed MM Picked! lbp.me link for Sackrificed

Morgana25 on lbp.me

Don't mess with Morgana or you get the wand

16. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by comphermc View Post
    Darnit! I just spent about 45 minutes playing Sack's in the City, and it wasn't until I came here to give feedback that I realized I was supposed to be playing Sack's on the Beach. My bad, lol. I will have to play the correct level later, but if you want I can PM you feedback on Sack's in the City (if you ever care for feedback anymore).
    Well, I would be curious to still have your feedback on Sack's In The City. Never hurts and the thread is still around in cool levels section.

There are quite a few different things you could do for menial tasks. For example, a villager could complain that huge cockroaches have infested their attic and they're afraid to even go up there. Then put a bunch of little harmless monsters with vulnerable brains on the floor for sackboy to jump on, as well as a few glued to the ceiling to be taken care of with the paintinator. Each would have a magnetic key on them, so that a magnetic switch would know when all of them are gone.

Another you could do, a town sackboy tells you that they've locked themselves out of their own house and can't get in. You then climb up on the roof or go into the cellar to break into the house, then pull a switch which opens the door on the inside.

Just fun little menial tasks for a helpful sackboy to take care of before ending the game.

I like those ideas (especially the bolded). I might mess around with that. The only thing is that I'd need to make the village bigger...

Played it, loved it.

Pros:
    -the idea of a open little world
    - the people in the village are awesome. It's even fun to just watch them walk around
    - the village is neat and I loved the little side quests about the graffiti & forgotten stuff
    - the day & night sickle is brilliant. But there was only one thing that changed at night :/
    - the palm tress looked really good
    - loved the friendly atmosphere
    - boss fight was fun
    - nice secrets

Suggestions:
    - cover the emitters at the boss battle
    - the cave and ghost ship need serious decoration. Compared to the village they're not so great :/
    - more people with side quests
    - I got the graffiti side quest done but I noticed that I left the graffiti [SPOILER]behind the explosions[/SPOILER] uncovered. I still got the points thou...

Really loved the level and it deserved:
    , heart & brilliant

19. Thanks!

wait wait.

Correct me if i'm wrong, k?

So basically this level is FULLY AWESOME!!!!

<_>

i haven't played it, but i know it's awesome already.
    Last edited by Yarbone; 08-01-2009 at 01:27 PM.
    You want a good Sig and/or Avatar? Visit this thread to post a request.
    'I'm afraid you have a serious mental problem. The trouble originates in this region, that we in the medical profession refer to as...the Brain!'
    Uhm.. .yeah, i've pretty much gone inactive now :/

Quote Originally Posted by Yarbone View Post
    wait wait.

Correct me if i'm right, k?

So basically this level is FULLY AWESOME!!!!

<_>

i haven't played it, but i know it's awesome already.
    Yes, Yarbone, it is in fact.... awesome. Very similar to Sack's in the city (which, once again, is one of my favorites), but I think the subject matter makes it even MORE appealing. This is definately one I will revisit many times.

I agree with the emitters on the boss battle - they don't seem to belong.
    F4F Participant
    Levels published: F4F: LIBERATOR - Spotlighted!!!! -, Vectroids - MM Picked!!! Spotlighted!!!! -, Sea Dragon -Spotlighted-, Roll out the Barrel! -Spotlighted-, Splat Invaders III: Insurrection - Spotlighted-, Destiny! -Spotlighted! MM Community pick!-, Vertigo! -Spotlighted-, Splat Invaders Saga -Spotlighted! IGN Pick!-, Splat Invaders II: The Caverns of Splat -Spotlighted!-, Tiger Woods Mini Golf -Spotlighted!-, Starship Troopers -Spotlighted!-

Quote Originally Posted by blizzard_cool View Post
    Suggestions:
    - cover the emitters at the boss battle
    - the cave and ghost ship need serious decoration. Compared to the village they're not so great :/
    - more people with side quests
    - I got the graffiti side quest done but I noticed that I left the graffiti [SPOILER]behind the explosions[/SPOILER] uncovered. I still got the points thou...

Really loved the level and it deserved:
    , heart & brilliant
    You made nice suggestions there. Pretty much in line with what I thought on my own. Sometimes to get to a point where you go "ok let's publish this".

I will definetely fix the emitters on the boss. This is an overlooked on my side because earlier it did shot plasma faster and on another type of patern. At that time it made sense for the player to see from where the plasma would be emitted. Now since the head turns faster and the plasma goes slower, it is indeed quite useless to know from where the plasma is shot.

I would like to tackle the decoration improvement of the cave and boat. Especially the cave in fact. I might even redo the whole back wall as it's a bit too much perceptible and I did not draw it with the corner tool like the rest (god knows why I did that)

Profesional water drinker swanbrown's Avatar
    Level completed: 20%, Points required for next Level: 720
    Your First Group 5000 Experience Points 1000 Experience Points 500 Experience Points 250 Experience Points
    PSN
    swanbrown
    Blog Entries

that was alot of fun!
    I'm not quite as savvy as most around here, so between grooving to the daytime village music and just having a good 'ole time playing your level, I lost focus.

the only kink I found was this:

typo: I ain't going back to that beach during the night, ever. I had the scare of my {life,} I tell ya.

I'll try to play again with a more critical eye. but honestly, I like this level just fine As-is.
    Last edited by swanbrown; 08-01-2009 at 04:22 AM.

Gradient Work Shop 2.2
    Photo studio utility(and gallery)
    Also, Music by gadders LBPC members create more than just levels.
    & LBPC Folding Team Gadders helping to fight real-world ailments!

24. Thanks!

Well, looks like the grafitti task will stay broken for now. At least you cna have the bubbles.

I HATE STICKER SWITCHES. Sometimes they dissolve my stuff for no apparent reason, sometimes it doesn't save properly, I tried a piston mechanism with "direction" and some don't move. It's all a big mess. I'll go re-read tomorrow about switches in my other thread.

How are the piston switches structured? Are you trying to push a bunch of different pieces of material chained to together by pistons, so that when they're all done it fires a switch? If so, instead you could use a bunch of pieces of dissolve each with a magnetic key. Have a magnetic switch set to inverse fire when all the pieces are gone.
    F4F Participant

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast