BG1, PRELOAD BG2, PRELOAD

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Default STAR WARS: The Empire Strikes Back: Cloud City: err... Etc!

STAR WARS: The Empire Strikes Back: Cloud City: err... Etc! by julesyjules
    The sixth level in the series.

It's a dark hour for the Rebellion! Sensing your friends are in danger, you rush to save them on the gas mining facility Cloud City, an untrained Jedi unaware of the trap that lies ahead.......

Hey all

Just published the latest level in the series, no pics yet, i seem to have misplaced my stick. : /

This one's been an absolute trial, I encountered 160 bug and have had to really hold on to my patience (and sanity!!) to get it out. I tried a few new things (for me at least) in this one, it's been a good learning experience if nothing else, heh heh. Its also a Single Player Only level, you can get through in multi but it won't be pretty!

Anyways, there's pushy, grabby, swing shooty things aplenty and i hope you enjoy it. Always happy to listen to criticism, but due to the bug, I'm probably unlikely to tweak this one.

Big big thanks go out to jwwphotos, Ccubbage, Matt_82, Morgana and Grantos for all contributing to playtesting. jww, Ccubbage & Matt in particular went above and beyond the call of duty in testing far too many times, thanks so much guys!
    Last edited by julesyjules; 08-19-2009 at 12:49 PM.

Oh nice, I saw an LBP-pic of Morgana at the climactic scene of ESB so this will be a treat for sure!!
    Last edited by Zwollie; 08-19-2009 at 12:58 PM.
    PSN: Zwoltopia

My Levels: Sir Sackboy, The Accidental Hero: Chapter I , Chapter II , Chapter III (preview)
    Other published bits & sideprojects: Leroy Wolfgang (character contest) Proto Droid 2000 (Retro-robot contest)
    Be obnoxious, be the first! Join The First Group! | The Caption Contest - ROUND 29!!

Quote Originally Posted by Zwollie View Post
    Oh nice, I saw a pic of Morgana enjoying the climax of ESB so this will be a treat for sure!!
    What the????????...... Oooohhhh right..... me and my mind.....

EDIT: on topic.... really looking forward to checking this out julesy.
    Last edited by wexfordian; 08-19-2009 at 12:58 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by wexfordian View Post
    What the????????...... Oooohhhh right..... me and my mind.....
    Hahaha, you and your dirty mind indeed!!
    I changed it a tad to make it less....you know.
    PSN: Zwoltopia

My Levels: Sir Sackboy, The Accidental Hero: Chapter I , Chapter II , Chapter III (preview)
    Other published bits & sideprojects: Leroy Wolfgang (character contest) Proto Droid 2000 (Retro-robot contest)
    Be obnoxious, be the first! Join The First Group! | The Caption Contest - ROUND 29!!

Tarsier Level Designer comphermc's Avatar
    Level completed: 27%, Points required for next Level: 1,316
    Overall activity: 25.0%
    Recommendation Second Class 25000 Experience Points 10000 Experience Points 5000 Experience Points 1000 Experience Points
    PSN
    comphermc
    Blog Entries

Holy crap, awesome. *Sprints off to PS3*
    Mm Picks: Roller INC 2 | Wizard: Chapter 1 | LittleBigPrius
    Levels: New! -The Button | The Fourth Wall | The Heist: Making a Withdrawal | Rubik's Tube
    Lbp.me profile: comphermc | LittleBigplanet 2 Create Tutorials: LBPlanetorials

Yay! I love your other SW levels! I'm gonna play that right away!

Levels: Vince's House v.2, Treasure

WIP Levels:

No problem on testing it over and over and over - this level is FUN! I'm still looking forward to yet another playthrough when I get home tonight.

This level fits perfectly into the quality of the rest of the series, and adds a few very cool boss fights.

As usual, you have the "humor" element nailed down. There's a few moments in there that got a big chuckle out of me - specifically the parts involving the robots.

5 stars and a heart definately. I'll add them when I get home tonight.
    F4F Participant
    Levels published: F4F: LIBERATOR - Spotlighted!!!! -, Vectroids - MM Picked!!! Spotlighted!!!! -, Sea Dragon -Spotlighted-, Roll out the Barrel! -Spotlighted-, Splat Invaders III: Insurrection - Spotlighted-, Destiny! -Spotlighted! MM Community pick!-, Vertigo! -Spotlighted-, Splat Invaders Saga -Spotlighted! IGN Pick!-, Splat Invaders II: The Caverns of Splat -Spotlighted!-, Tiger Woods Mini Golf -Spotlighted!-, Starship Troopers -Spotlighted!-

8. Thanks!

Level completed: 51%, Points required for next Level: 442
    Overall activity: 0%
    Recommendation Second Class 10000 Experience Points 5000 Experience Points 1000 Experience Points 500 Experience Points
    PSN
    MrsSpookyBuz
    Blog Entries

Woot! julesyjules + Star Wars + humour + great fun = wonderful levels.

Can't wait to play it... will post back all my complimen---- I mean, my views, when I play it tonight

Little Big Aquarium | Darkness Falls | Dragon Rider 1, 2 & 3 | The Sandcastle (spotlighted!)
    Hyper Cube (Mm Pick!) | Hyper Cube 2 | Hyper Cube 3 | Hyper Cube Frenzy (spotlighted!)
    Hyper Sphere (spotlighted!) | Hyper Sphere Revolution (spotlighted!) | Hyper Sphere Pandemonium (spotlighted!)
    Project GENESIS: Prelude (spotlighted!) | Project GENESIS: Requiem (spotlighted!)

MrsSpookyBuz: YouTube Channel

Recommendation Second Class 25000 Experience Points 10000 Experience Points 5000 Experience Points 1000 Experience Points
    PSN
    comphermc
    Blog Entries

Wow, just played the level and had an absolute BLAST! I go so far as to say this one was better than Dagobah. You mastered the feel of a spaceship type atmosphere, while still maintaining your comical take on the whole series.

The dialogue throughout was spot on and made me smile the whole way through. The little obstacles and challenges sprinkled in were both creative and fun, which is really what littlebigplanet is all about. Your use of lighting has improved with each level, and this one peaks with some of the best lbp lighting I've seen. It seems so fluid (but I actually found your logic at the beginning and saw some of what goes into making it seem so fluid). The whole level just looked fantastic, and I really enjoyed the "clean, yet detailed" look of the whole spaceship. I never got lost, and everything was pretty straightforward, which was nice.

Unfortunately, I had to restart twice, as a result of getting stuck twice at the very beginning (which sort of took away from the experience a little, but I forgot all about it once I was gadding through the level). The two places I got stuck were:

• In the beginning, I was able to jump in between the [thrusters?] and get outside the level. I took in the view of some logic, danced about, and then popped myself. When I respawned, R2 was stuck on the ship, and I couldn't dislodge him. It was probably a fluke, but you probably want to make it impossible to get out near your logicz. I saw you put an invisible blocker, but I just jumped over it (haha). Maybe a blatantly tall invisible blocker at the edge?
    • On the first little lift that has you shoot a little trigger (not sure what they are), the lift went down without sacky, rendering me stuck. There's a pretty simple solution for this if you're interested, as I assume you don't want players to have to restart. Set up a little logical AND gate for if the lift is down below and sackboy is not (mag key on the platform, prox switch up above). If this ever happens, have an emitter fire a paintball at the trigger that makes it go back up. It's not the prettiest, but it's pretty simple logically.

Once I got past these little hiccups, the level was great. I gave it 5 stars, hearted it, and tagged 'brilliant' on it.

Have a good day!

Edit: Haha, you've fixed it already with regards to getting out to the logic... R2 still gets stuck on the ship, though. How high is the brain's strength set to? And I see you've put a timer of the first little lift that goes down? Was this here before as well? If so, then I apologize for the above comment...
    Last edited by comphermc; 08-19-2009 at 02:18 PM.
    Levels: New! -The Button | The Fourth Wall | The Heist: Making a Withdrawal | Rubik's Tube

11. Thanks!

I'm luckier than all of you because I still have Dagobah to play too. DOUBLE THE FUN! I love these SW levels.

Level completed: 18%, Points required for next Level: 826
    Overall activity: 26.0%

PSN
    julesyjules

@compherc

You always find a way out of my levels!

I've blocked that now, thanks for that.

The platform issue, i hadn't thought about setting up that kind of logic. With this level though, adding any more mechanics now is a risk i can't take. I've put in some more invis dark matter to try and minimise that issue now, hopefully it'll be enough. Thanks for the comments, makes all the stuff I've had to deal with on this one a bit easier to forget.

I've already garnered 'annoying' as one of my top tags. There's plenty here that WILL annoy the less forgiving players, but I've reached the point on this one where they can just bring it on!

LBPCentral Creator Spotlight CrewUniverseUnderConstruction jwwphotos's Avatar
    Level completed: 57%, Points required for next Level: 741
    Overall activity: 100.0%
    Your First Group 10000 Experience Points 5000 Experience Points 1000 Experience Points 500 Experience Points
    PSN
    jwwPhotos
    Blog Entries

'Other J', it was my supreme pleasure to help you play test this one! I didn't mind a bit. Even more fun to attempt to play it with you with tons of lag!! LOL!! I actually just got done playing it again since you made it live and offical! ..I guess all the practice helped me snag the top spot for a bit! LOL! I am sure that will change as soon as a few people get home or you play it yourself.

I absolutely love this one. Great mix of puzzles, action, platforming, fun and funny boss fights, charm, humor, lighting, set design err... etc! I am sure I am forgetting something. I think one of your best yet for total feel and immersion set into the floaty city in one of my all time favorite movie series. Dogbah was awesome as well for mood and lighting, but this had an even more huge feel and mix for the sack's "to-do list". Amazing work and so happy you finally got through this one. I know you had to keep going back to earlier backups and make the whole huge list of changes over and over and over and over and over and... ugh!! Cheers to your perseverance as well as you uhh.. preservation!

Pro's Everything!
    +Especially loved the package express mini game. Hysterical!
    +Humor.. gobs and gobs..
    +Awesome lighting
    +Awesome intro
    +Great puzzles interwoven in the platforming.
    + Cool and funny boss fights!! Very original concepts!
    + Awesome ending..

Cons We have to wait awhile before we see another!
    R2 is still a bit 'cheeky', but oh well..

I did notice R2 will get stuck on the ship as comphermc mentioned. I decided I had to get in the ship for a pic. oh well.. Other than that, you worked out all the bugs and got everything back. I did message you about one tiny speech bubble that didn't get back the way you want, but aaaahhh might be too risky to even attempt.

Simply marvelous work!! I am so happy for you!!

Easily 5 stars and a heart!!
    (aka jww) - Published Levels
    Space Escape (spotlighted!) // Space Escape II (spotlighted!)
    Survival Line (spotlighted!) // Space Escape Pinball (spotlighted! Mm Picked!)
    Trapped (spotlighted! vita)

15. Thanks!

Level completed: 18%, Points required for next Level: 826
    Overall activity: 26.0%

PSN
    julesyjules

Quote Originally Posted by comphermc View Post
    R2 still gets stuck on the ship, though. How high is the brain's strength set to? And I see you've put a timer of the first little lift that goes down? Was this here before as well? If so, then I apologize for the above comment...
    The timer was already there, just for backup. Can you not just grab him when he gets stuck? Poor thing. It might be time for the invis blue matter again. What does the brain strength do? I've completely forgotten what Mr Fry told me.

PSN
    comphermc
    Blog Entries

I don't remember exactly, but I figure that if the brain strength is too high, he may just wedge himself too hard into the ship, rendering himself stuck. I believe strength is how much the creature will resist changes in motion and tipping over... It might also work to just drop his speed. Waiting half a second longer won't kill anyone.

I would suggest just putting up some invisible DM in the front thin plane where it can't interact with sacky, but it will stop the thin layer parts of R2.

Level completed: 27%, Points required for next Level: 587
    7 days registered 5000 Experience Points 1000 Experience Points 500 Experience Points 250 Experience Points
    PSN
    Mattifcation

Well I`ve played this about 20 times and loved it every time. I`ve also PM`d you as much feedback as you`re gonna get so I`ll just say, it`s awesome. Well done mate.

19. Thanks!

LBPCentral Creator Spotlight CrewUniverseUnderConstruction jwwphotos's Avatar
    Level completed: 57%, Points required for next Level: 741
    Overall activity: 100.0%
    Your First Group 10000 Experience Points 5000 Experience Points 1000 Experience Points 500 Experience Points
    PSN
    jwwPhotos
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by julesyjules View Post
    The timer was already there, just for backup. Can you not just grab him when he gets stuck? Poor thing. It might be time for the invis blue matter again. What does the brain strength do? I've completely forgotten what Mr Fry told me.
    When he got stuck for me, abeit the 1 out of 30+ times or so I played it, I was not able to coax him out. He was stuck!

It seems brain on follow is simply a speed setting. I don't recall strength, but truthfully haven't messed with a brain on follow so I could be mistaken.
    (aka jww) - Published Levels
    Space Escape (spotlighted!) // Space Escape II (spotlighted!)
    Survival Line (spotlighted!) // Space Escape Pinball (spotlighted! Mm Picked!)
    Trapped (spotlighted! vita)

21. Thanks!

Level completed: 51%, Points required for next Level: 442
    Recommendation Second Class 10000 Experience Points 5000 Experience Points 1000 Experience Points 500 Experience Points
    PSN
    MrsSpookyBuz
    Blog Entries

Okay, just managed to play this - here's what I thought...

I've been a big fan of this series, and each time another is published I get a feeling of trepidation that somehow I can't enjoy it as much as the last.

I'm wrong.

I absolutely love it. It's a Star Wars parody funfest, it's a wonderfully enjoyable experience, and it's a whole sackful of fun.

Empire Strikes Back is possible my favourite Star Wars film, and this level incorporated so many scenes from the Cloud City section (and so accurately) I could hardly play for open-jawed surprise. Artoo was cool in the films, but the little pepperpot is a cheeky little blighter here. Loved it.

So many details that I thought were great, but the two Darth Vader scenes stole the show for me.

Overall, I can't add much more, other than your scripting and humour honestly made my day. Thank you.

5 C-3PO's, 1 Red-5, and a tag of 'Lando'! Er... I mean 'Brilliant'
    Last edited by MrsSpookyBuz; 08-19-2009 at 10:20 PM. Reason: Spelling!

Little Big Aquarium | Darkness Falls | Dragon Rider 1, 2 & 3 | The Sandcastle (spotlighted!)
    Hyper Cube (Mm Pick!) | Hyper Cube 2 | Hyper Cube 3 | Hyper Cube Frenzy (spotlighted!)
    Hyper Sphere (spotlighted!) | Hyper Sphere Revolution (spotlighted!) | Hyper Sphere Pandemonium (spotlighted!)
    Project GENESIS: Prelude (spotlighted!) | Project GENESIS: Requiem (spotlighted!)

MrsSpookyBuz: YouTube Channel

23. Thanks!

Enjoy it a lot. I like how seemlessly you work the puzzling into the environment. Art direction is great. A very attractive level.

I encountered a few problems. At the start I could jump on the black thing on the door and up on the structure and then out of the area to the right.

Also by the elevator: by returning it up, then killing myself and running to jump over the returning elevator. I don't remember at which but I could get back to the intro scene from one of those two places.

When I was dumb enough to push c3po's head backwards into the pit instead of to the button I had to restart.

After the second Vader fight nothing happened and I had to restart. Some logic problem there?

25. Thanks!

Level completed: 91%, Points required for next Level: 91
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    7 days registered 5000 Experience Points 1000 Experience Points 500 Experience Points 250 Experience Points
    PSN
    v0rtex2002
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Kipmonlin View Post
    When I was dumb enough to push c3po's head backwards into the pit instead of to the button I had to restart.
    d'Oh!

I was just gonna post how frustrated I was and that I must be missing something, because the jumps on the platforms in front of the big fan are impossible.

3PO's head...

On the button...

I'm a freaking idiot.

Must go back and finish this. But not tonight. Too tired, and my hands are too sore from trying SO hard to make those jumps.

What I did play was fantastic though. Can't wait to see the rest.

27. Thanks!

Grand Den Mod-er of LBPC Morgana25's Avatar
    Level completed: 86%, Points required for next Level: 239
    Overall activity: 20.0%

PSN
    Morgana25

Played through the published version tonight and I have to agree with MrsSpookyBuz. Whenever I find out you've published another one in the series I get a bit nervous because I've just loved the rest of the series and I can't image how you'll be able to keep that great sense of humor going while blending LBP inside jokes with a beloved Sci-Fi Classic. Thank the powers that be you can imagine it because you've done it again! Excellent level with all the humor, style, challenge and beauty I've come to expect from these.

What do I love? Where to begin...

+ opening scene - genius humor and material choices to get the look just perfect
    + amazing lighting and color choices for Cloud City's sky
    + R2 following you and cracking wise - funny and really smart choice
    + use of vases of all things for that 1970's sci-fi plastic set design = genius
    + ships flying in the background while making your way through the city was a nice touch
    + Loved how it got subtly darker as you went so there was no jarring pinky peach ligthing to the black you needed for the vadar showdowns
    + Great humerous moments (dating an ipod, bald with headphones memo, don't smoke)
    + the fans sections (all of them) were magnificient. between the lighting, the movements and the timing required it just clicked wonderfully in those sections.
    + First vadar battle - love the mechanic you used. Great flow - medium difficulty all around great feeling in that challenge.
    + Second battle - more precise strategy required - loved the banter during the battle
    + THE EPIC SCENE on the catwalk = fantastic! Camera is great, scale is great, awesome note to go out on.

5 stars & hearted and if I rave much more my head might explode although I could go on about excellent material choices, great character and ship design, and numero *explode*

sig by chuck_18mp illustration by TheZimInvader

Chroma Stone Chronicles Veriddian's Gem | Pyrra's Gem | Cerrulean's Gem | Irridia's Gem | Abyssia's Lair
    Dragons of Myth Egypt | Teotihuacan | Iceland | Greece
    Fire and Ice
    Sackrificed MM Picked! lbp.me link for Sackrificed

Morgana25 on lbp.me

Don't mess with Morgana or you get the wand

29. Thanks!

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast