BG1, PRELOAD BG2, PRELOAD

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    Level completed: 59%, Points required for next Level: 624
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Your First Group 10000 Experience Points 5000 Experience Points 1000 Experience Points 500 Experience Points
    PSN
    rtm223
    Blog Entries

Default Logic Blog - updated 2011/02/06

Yes indeed! Here it is, the moment you’ve all been waiting for! Ladies and Gentlemen, Now that CC has fixed up the blogs, let me proudly present...

The SwitchGeek Sessions
    rtm223's World Famous Logic Blog
    (name subject to chage, when I thinks of a better one)

Most logic tutorials / blogs / whatever focus on two things:
    1. How to make a variety of switches, with giveaway prizes
    2. How to use those generic switches to create something cool and complex

There’s nothing wrong with this approach, but it’s very much my intention to take things in a different direction. It’s unlikely the focus will ever be “How to Make a <Insert Complex Contraption>” tutorial, although who knows? I am very fickle after all… Instead, the focus will largely be on logic skills and techniques; with a strong emphasis on theory and leading towards some advanced stuff. Certainly nothing here for the feint of heart: hic sunt dracones.

List of Blog Posts

[2009/12/02] Welcome to the Wonderful World of Wenches
    [2009/12/09] Waste Not, Want Not [Part 1]: Basic Thermo Optimisation
    [2009/12/13] Mini Blog: Logical Notation
    [2009/12/16] Waste not, Want Not [Part 2]: Input Sharing
    [2010/01/19] Waste not, Want Not [Part 3]: Implied Logic

- - - ---------------------------- - - -

[2010/02/23] Emitter Blocking Theory

- - - ---------------------------- - - -

[2010/10/05] LBP2: Analogue Logic [Part 1]: Concepts and Fundamentals
    [2010/10/10] Analogue Logic (supplemental) - Notation
    [2010/10/12] Analogue Logic 2: Sorting and Addition
    [2010/10/26] Analogue Logic 3: Analogue - Digital Conversion (ADC) & Digital to Analogue Conversion (DAC)

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Conventions Used
    General stuff, so I don’t have to keep repeating it in every blog I do. I’ll add to this as I add more technical stuff – just think of this section as a cheat sheet and glossery for the blogs. If I end up using any terminology you aren’t familiar with, then just ask and I’ll add it in.

Tweaking
    Unless I explicitly state otherwise, all connectors and switches will be left at their default settings, with the following exception:
    • Pistons are considered stiff by default

Terminology
    For the sake of clarity I would attempt to use consistent terms throughout my tutorials. However, I have a tendency to get distracted and my mind flits between electronics, software, mathematical analogies and LBP terms. Plus it’s sometimes easier to use certain terms in certain contexts. So, for switches and signals the following terms can be used interchangeably:
    • TRUE = 1 = Switch On = Active = Outwards Direction
    • FALSE = 0 = Switch Off = Inactive = Inwards Direction

Another terminology issue we may face is the terms "switches" and "gates". In LBP everything from a humble Perm all the way up to a complex logic network gets referred to as a "switch". I'm liable to talk about certain switches as "gates", it's just natural to me. I'm sorry.

geekNotes
    What with this being a relatively advanced course, I thought I would dot spoilers around the place, like this:

Spoiler Spoiler - geekNotes - On geekNotes

Last edited by rtm223; 02-06-2011 at 05:12 PM.

Tarsier Level Designer comphermc's Avatar
    Level completed: 37%, Points required for next Level: 1,086
    Overall activity: 0%
    Recommendation Second Class 25000 Experience Points 10000 Experience Points 5000 Experience Points 1000 Experience Points
    PSN
    comphermc
    Blog Entries

Wow, truly looking forward to it. Too bad about the spoiler bits. Didn't want to make it a thread, huh? Either way, I don't think there's anyone better suited for the job. Good luck to you, sir.

*waits patiently for first entry*

*chirp*

(want me to make you some fancy header when you decide on the permanent name? Nah, of course you don't.)
    Last edited by comphermc; 12-01-2009 at 01:55 AM.
    Mm Picks: Roller INC 2 | Wizard: Chapter 1 | LittleBigPrius
    Levels: New! -The Button | The Fourth Wall | The Heist: Making a Withdrawal | Rubik's Tube
    Lbp.me profile: comphermc | LittleBigplanet 2 Create Tutorials: LBPlanetorials

Your First Group 10000 Experience Points 5000 Experience Points 1000 Experience Points 500 Experience Points
    PSN
    rtm223
    Blog Entries

You can if you want. I was considering doing a community contest and giving out muchos XP though... Maybe hold back until I decide how to go about that.

I decided not to make it a thread because I would have to make the decision between having multiple threads, which would break the ordering, or dumping each topic pages into a single thread. I think blog entries for each topic, keeping them separate and organised and allowing people to respond to specific posts, is the best way to go. This thread is more of an index and place to keep the cheatsheet, along with general chat on the blogs themselves.

Hopefully that's how it'll work, anyway.

PSN
    rtm223
    Blog Entries

Right, CC got the blogs fixed up so here is a bump to announce blog post #1, the stupidly long opening entitled:

Welcome to the Wonderful World of Wenches

Enjoy.
    -- ? --

5. Thanks!

you know rtm, the more I read about you/from you the more I think you and I think alike.
    well.. not on the geek-part, I was failry good at pascal, but all of a sudden... one day.. I just lost it while I was half-way creating a small platformer-pixel game in pascal.
    from that point on, I never touched code-related stuff again.

I am happy enough that I understand most lbp logic without having to think twice.

Gran'De Gos Bahm'Bhi! Gran'De Gos Bahm'Bhi! No Esca reh'Tahl!!

Follow me on Twitter: @Luos_83
    (secret hint)

Sackperson Demagogue Incinerator22's Avatar
    Level completed: 18%, Points required for next Level: 993
    Recommendation Second Class 10000 Experience Points 5000 Experience Points 1000 Experience Points 500 Experience Points
    PSN
    Incinerator22
    Blog Entries

You really have a knack of overcomplicating things ...

TRUE and FALSE? Why not inverted and regular, like the stupid people say it!

Recommendation Second Class 25000 Experience Points 10000 Experience Points 5000 Experience Points 1000 Experience Points
    PSN
    comphermc
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Incinerator22 View Post
    Because...

True = On = Out = Fire (one-shot) = Whatever you call speed.

It's a term that can be used regardless of the type of switch output.
    Levels: New! -The Button | The Fourth Wall | The Heist: Making a Withdrawal | Rubik's Tube

PSN
    rtm223
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Incinerator22 View Post
    You really have a knack of overcomplicating things ...

To continue what comphermc said: Inverted is the term used for statically defining the tweak settings of a magnetic switch. TRUE/FALSE are used here to represent run-time values of signals.

What you are suggesting is that I use inverted to refer to the tweak settings of a switch and also the value of the signal it is outputting. Using the same term for two things that are completely different in the same text is never going to work.
    -- ? --

Shoo-Bee-Doo-Opp Bop Bop srgt_poptart's Avatar
    Level completed: 18%, Points required for next Level: 414
    7 days registered 30 days registered 3 months registered 100 Experience Points 250 Experience Points
    PSN
    srgt_poptart

I'm a big user of logic, and like this blog. I am using the randomizer from the logic pack, but I'm using six different ones. In the first set of two, there will be a 1/6 chance of it emmiting a certain block. Then after about a minute of that, it will go to a 1/3, and then a 1/2. It may require tweaking, I'll have to see how difficult it is.

Made by Moleynator, its small cause I'm stupid.

Recent studies show 75% of people make up about 3/4 of the worlds population.

PSN
    rtm223
    Blog Entries

Just to reiterate: Although links between my logic blog and the logic pack are going to happen, I really would like to keep a well defined line between the two as it benefits both the the Logic Pack and this blog to do so. The logic pack is official LBPC content: shiny and polished, with high production values and very accessible content with a hands-on approach. This is somewhat less so, so has no place with the logic pack. On the other hand, having no stamp of LBPC approval of my blog means that I can do whatever I feel like doing, which suits me just fine

With regards to your randomiser, depending what you are trying to achieve (I'm not 100% sure), you should be able to do it with 2 randomisers, maybe just one. Just have the outputs linked via ANDs and activate the other inputs of the ANDs when you want that output to be valid.

I'm currently in a bit of a dilema about blog #2 - it's growing too large and I can't decide whether to split it or hold back until the whole thing is done. I'd rather do the former if I can find a logical split (which I think I have now) so hopefully more logics tomorrow or Thursday

PSN
    rtm223
    Blog Entries

*Bump*

New blog released today. Get it here.

PSN
    rtm223
    Blog Entries

Mini blog to give an overview of logic notation. This will come in handy moving forwards. It's largely for my benefit, but I'm sure it can help you out when planning your logics in future.

Mini Blog: Logical Notation

-- ? --

PSN
    rtm223
    Blog Entries

Proper Blog Today:

Waste Not, Want Not, Pt 2

Covering input sharing between multiple logic gates.

I'm unlikely to get the next installment out before Christmas, but you can certainly expect it before 2010
    -- ? --

Yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay!

16. Thanks!

PSN
    rtm223
    Blog Entries

Rogar, I'm pretty sure you mentioned that you are already using these techniques anyway, but there still might be something in there for you
    -- ? --

Sure, the wobble bolt was an eye-opener, and I have never had the need for an XOR-gate, so even the piston version was useful to see.

Can't wait to see the negative thermo OR-gate...

PSN
    comphermc
    Blog Entries

Now, is an XOR something that triggers on an odd input, or just a single input?

Can we not just use a 3-way AND gate from the Logic Pack, and position the key-switch/key to activate when only one of the pistons extends? Then, this can be extended for any number of inputs (pistons).

PSN
    rtm223
    Blog Entries

Odd number of inputs, sadly.

It just happens that with two inputs, the only odd number is 1

PSN
    comphermc
    Blog Entries

Now, pardon my dense-ness but what is the function of a XOR beyond 2 inputs. I understand the idea of binary adder, yes, but it would seem to me that the "exclusive" part of XOR loses its pizazz when you get an activation upon three inputs.

My understanding (which is apparently low), would suggest that XOR should only activate when there are exactly 1 true input.

Am I missing something basic?

PSN
    rtm223
    Blog Entries

Well, OK. I don't think they actually make XORs in the form of greater than 2 bit, so in a technical sense it's probably undefined.

But:

a b c

Should be the same as

( a b ) c

Right? A two bit XOR, whose output is XOR'd with the third signal, like in the adder diagram. Well that comes out as an "odd" function. So conceptually, a 3 bit XOR works out as an odd. Or at least in my head it is!

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast