BG1, PRELOAD BG2, PRELOAD

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by rtm223 View Post
    Well, OK. I don't think they actually make XORs in the form of greater than 2 bit, so in a technical sense it's probably undefined.

But:

a b c

Should be the same as

( a b ) c

Right? A two bit XOR, whose output is XOR'd with the third signal, like in the adder diagram. Well that comes out as an "odd" function. So conceptually, a 3 bit XOR works out as an odd. Or at least in my head it is!
    a b c

Is the same as (a+b+c) • !(a•b) • !(a•c) • !(b•c) (If this is wrong, then ignore me)

While, ( a b ) c

Is the same as [((a+b) • !(a•b)) + c)] • ![((a+b) • !(a•b)) • c]

I'm not sure that helped, but the point is that (a+b+c) • !(a•b) • !(a•c) • !(b•c) is not true as soon as you have 3 inputs. You can see that from all of the not, AND conditions. As soon as one of those is false, the whole thing kerplodes.

The second one does allow three inputs, but the first one does not... They are not quite the same.

Dangit, I hate it when you are right. XOR is indeed associative (upon some research). You win again...
    Last edited by comphermc; 12-16-2009 at 04:32 PM.
    Mm Picks: Roller INC 2 | Wizard: Chapter 1 | LittleBigPrius
    Levels: New! -The Button | The Fourth Wall | The Heist: Making a Withdrawal | Rubik's Tube
    Lbp.me profile: comphermc | LittleBigplanet 2 Create Tutorials: LBPlanetorials

Level completed: 27%, Points required for next Level: 1,174
    Overall activity: 0%
    Your First Group 10000 Experience Points 5000 Experience Points 1000 Experience Points 500 Experience Points
    PSN
    rtm223
    Blog Entries

That's weird, I'm the complete opposite. I love it when I'm right

If it makes you feel better, I can never remember the words like associative

Edit: Just to confirm, there will be no logic blog this week (23rd), blame water, christmas and grant for getting me all excited about doing other stuff. Also it's gonna be another big'un (c. 3k words again, so it takes a little while, like). Normal service will resume next week
    Last edited by rtm223; 12-22-2009 at 08:06 PM.

Your First Group 10000 Experience Points 5000 Experience Points 1000 Experience Points 500 Experience Points
    PSN
    rtm223
    Blog Entries

(new blog out)
    -- ? --

4. Thanks!

About time! Leaving us starving for so long...tsk.

PSN
    rtm223
    Blog Entries

Yeah I know Between losing almost the entire thing when I'd nearly completed it the first time, various real-world issues and generally not feeling like rewriting it all, it's taken quite a while to get this together. I make a lot of effort to be less tardy in future!!
    -- ? --

No worries, at least you produce something worthwhile once in a while, which is more than some of us can say...

PSN
    rtm223
    Blog Entries

Well, I just wrote this as a comment on the last blog, but I figure it makes sense to post it here as well.

Quote Originally Posted by rtm223;bt2427
    Kinda ****** off here. I went to revisit my latency tests last night, and as it turns out, it's not that difficult to get stuff switching at 0.05s in both directions. Now I swear I tried a good few times and failed before, but last night thrice (yes thrice) in a row it was working. Which is a shame because I came up with some clever stuff to get around a problem that apparently doesn't exist.

I'm blaming leerdammer.

You do have to be really careful with your mag switch tweaking still though, and latency is quite an interesting topic, so there is probably some mileage in a latency blog.
    -- ? --

I'm crawing for a new blog-post about logic!

Give it to me! please...

Gee, I recently discovered how to subscribe to blogs, but how do I test I did it right...?

PSN
    rtm223
    Blog Entries

I wouldn't advise sitting next to your email inbox waiting.... Not unless you have a LOT of snacks. Logic blog will be returning as soon as possible, but I'm giving no guarantees on when that will be.

Worst case I'll just knock together some explanations of some unique logic pieces I have knocking around that would allow me to talk about some interesting concepts.
    -- ? --

PSN
    rtm223
    Blog Entries

Logic Blog returns!

Although today, I'm not entirely sure if anything in there counts as logic, and also it 100% not what I told you was going to be next, but meh, deal with it. Actually what happened was, the next blog was supposed to be that worked example, but seeing as I kept you all waiting so long it didn't seem right to publish a worked example that had no new techniques in it. So I've gone off on a tangent and today we look at basic
    Emitter Blocking Theory, and applications thereof.
    -- ? --

Is this a level too?

PSN
    rtm223
    Blog Entries

Nope,

I specifically wasn't creating levels alongside this as the intent was to teach people techniques, rather than produce one-off application-specific devices.

As logic blog 2.0 kicks off, this may well change as I think there are a lot of things where the techniques are going to be better demonstrated by example

----------------------------------

And on that subject, I'm wondering what exactly I should do about logic blog 2.0? It makes sense to begin during the beta I think, but I'm unsure whether it's going to make sense to publish it hidden away in the beta section of the site, or continue it in the blog area, as before, even though some people aren't in the beta.

Anyone not in the beta got any thoughts on this??
    -- ? --

Level completed: 54%, Points required for next Level: 324
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    7 days registered 1000 Experience Points 500 Experience Points 250 Experience Points 100 Experience Points
    PSN
    WA_delmaw

I'm not in beta and in my opinion you should post them to blog area. I want to know much as possible about lbp2 to compensate my betalessness.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheAffected View Post
    IT WAS THE BEST SALMON FLAVORED CHICKEN EVER!!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by chinook3 View Post
    OMG!!!!! ITS GOING TO EXPLODE!!!!!!!!! NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!! *gush*pow*

16. Thanks!

Hi there, take a seat. TheAffected's Avatar
    Level completed: 61%, Points required for next Level: 197

PSN
    TheAffected

I agree with waD_Delma. I am not in the beta and would very much like to see them.

On a similar note I am curious if you have published anything regarding the score modifier activating objects and conditions in a linked level?

Ciao!

18. Thanks!

PSN
    rtm223
    Blog Entries

OK, I'm gonna kick this off again soonish, although bear in mind that even a couple of weeks into the beta I'm not planning on doing a beginner's guide to LBP2 logic. Sure I could cover the little bits and pieces like how to make a perm or a set-reset and crap like that, but that's all common knowledge (or will be for anyone who spends more than a day with the game) and... it's not very interesting. So I'll stick to some topics that are a little less than obvious and continue with the mission plan of pushing back the boundaries of what is possible.

On the other hand, I'll probably start producing bits and pieces to throw out into the community that are somewhat simpler and example applications - something that I avoided previously.

I'm also looking for the following:
    1. A catalogue of the new switches in LBP2, basically images all of the sensors and logic devices.
    2. Some kind of software for putting together graphs very quickly - I'm currently using excel, but the truth is it's quite faffy to actuall yget all the maths correct to produce a graph, when all I really need is a sketch.

So if anyone can help me with those then that'd be great.

WRT the score sensor, I will do at some point. At the moment upsilandre has his published in the beta with prizes and it's a much easier method to understand than mine.
    -- ? --

20. Thanks!

PSN
    rtm223
    Blog Entries

Shameless bump, I managed to power through this first instalment of Logic Blog 2, and what a beastie it is - huge wall of text awaits those brave enough here.

It's over 4000 words longs, so Id advise you to take it in stages, section 2 can be skipped initially (though it's probably well worth reading at some point), and realistically each of the sections is a logical stopping point if you need a break. It probably needs an extra proof read, but I don't feel like doing it right now, so I apologise for errors.

As ever, comments, feedback and questions in the thread or in the blog, please
    -- ? --

Level completed: 37%, Points required for next Level: 630
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    7 days registered 5000 Experience Points 1000 Experience Points 500 Experience Points 250 Experience Points
    PSN
    piggabling
    Blog Entries

Thank you, Mr. rtm. I will look at it right now!

EDIT: Way longer than I expected...
    Last edited by piggabling; 10-05-2010 at 09:26 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by rtm223 View Post
    As ever, comments, feedback and questions in the thread or in the blog, please
    Nice. Just one minor nitpick...

Quote Originally Posted by rtm223
    3.1.Toggles, Randomisers and Select Switches
    These have no concept of analogue input and will only respond to the digital aspect of the input signal(s). The outputs do have an analogue component, however this will take a value at 0% or 100%, nothing in between.
    Assuming "Select Switches" refers to "Selectors", this is not strictly true. If a "digital signal" is equivalent to, say, a battery at either 0% or >0%, the Selector also responds differently to a signal at <0% in the Cycle input, which causes it to cycle in reverse.

24. Thanks!

PSN
    rtm223
    Blog Entries

In this case aya, I consider the "digital" signals to be tri-state (0, 1 or -1), hence me saying that they aren't really digital. In actual fact I have a feeling there is a difference between a true binary signal and a tri-state signal (wrt to the meaning of zero in directional signals), but I'm not 100% atm and I'm certainly not sure which components output bi and which output tri, if that is indeed how it works. Either way they fit very closely into the same processing model, which is very different to the analogue. Certainly close enough that whilst my primary focus for the logic blog is analogue processing, I will be lumping them into the "other" category.

So the the selector and the counter increment inputs do not respond to the analogue components of the signal - they respond to the binary / tri-state / digital signal.

Quote Originally Posted by piggabling View Post
    EDIT: Way longer than I expected...
    You and me both mate
    Last edited by rtm223; 10-06-2010 at 12:11 AM.
    -- ? --

26. Thanks!

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast