BG1, PRELOAD BG2, PRELOAD

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Loving this analog stuff. I think it's not too much of a stretch to think that a mech could be built (there I go with mechs again) that has a variable walk speed (I could do that in lbp1 if it weren't for the fact that pistons can't be given direction+speed controls at the same time) and that uses different walk animations for forward/backwards.

Anyways, the logic blog has always been about technique and methodology, expanding or improving the toolsets available in an application agnostic manner.
    That part made me laugh 'cuz the first thing I was gonna' ask was "what would you use this for?" I guess I tend to look at logic that way: without an application, it's hard for me to wrap my head around. I never took calculus in high school so some of that stuff was over my head (I had a bad teacher for trig--all of her students were struggling--so I just lost my taste for complex math) and I'm just now starting college after a 13 year hiatus.... which is not a plan I recommend (it wasn't meant to be a hiatus--I simply didn't think I needed school. I still don't, but you gotta' have that %&*$ paper to get a decent job... now I'm rambling about my life story so I think it's time to shut up).

Level completed: 27%, Points required for next Level: 1,174
    Overall activity: 0%
    Your First Group 10000 Experience Points 5000 Experience Points 1000 Experience Points 500 Experience Points
    PSN
    rtm223
    Blog Entries

I might kick off next blog with some graphical examples of speed values into the timer, try to cover it more visually and dump the references to calculus. I think it's useful for those familiar with calculus to understand that it is integration, but in reality I think all it takes is a few examples to get your head around it.

As for applications, it's a tricky one because with more advanced techniques, the applications are a bit more complex normally, but I wouldn't be doing this if there weren't plenty of applications there, I assure you. I'll give you a simple one that I implemented last night:

I made a little simple jumping vehicle, using movers and direct control and things and it annoyed me that you could be moving at full speed going left, jump and hold right and your air control was so great that you could land further back than where you started. I didn't want to remove air control completely, so I simply added a filtering system than limited the analogue stick signal to the range +/- 50%. Any signal >50 becomes 50.

Arguably, a division by two would have been better and give the player finer control, but that's tricky. Another option would have been to subtract 50% from the magnitude (so 45 > 0, 75 > 25). As it stands the simple limiting gives enough of a feel of reduced control in the air and so the gameplay is improved.

This is where I feel the analogue gives us more than digital in many ways - something like that can adds nuance of detail to the gameplay and empowers you to create mechanisms that feel right.
    -- ? --

Quote Originally Posted by rtm223 View Post
    In this case aya, I consider the "digital" signals to be tri-state (0, 1 or -1), hence me saying that they aren't really digital.
    I knew you'd say that.

Actually I agree to a certain extent, which is why I called it a "minor nitpick" and not a "glaring mistake".

I think it's always going to be a little confusing to those who have a digital electronics background, and perhaps requires new terminology to differentiate it from that. At the very least, I think it might be useful to include your definitions of "digital" and "analogue" w.r.t. the way in which you use them, at the top of the post, clarifying that "digital" signals are effectively ternary (-1, 0, 1) rather than binary (0, 1).

At the same time, I'm not convinced that there is necessarily a "signal duality" (i.e. two separate signals), but rather that that all signals are analogue, and components react to them in different ways. Some components only respect whether it's zero or non-zero, some only respect the magnitude of the signal (ignoring the sign), and some only respect the sign (ignoring the magnitude).

I think the distinction you're making in the blog entry is not which components are "analogue" vs. "digital", but rather which components are most useul in dealing with analogue signals, i.e. those which respect the full range of an analogue signal and/or have the capacity to output something other than -100%, 0, or +100%.

Quote Originally Posted by Sehven View Post
    ...the first thing I was gonna' ask was "what would you use this for?" I guess I tend to look at logic that way: without an application, it's hard for me to wrap my head around.
    I had something of a similar reaction myself, although not that "it's hard for me to wrap my head around", but more that "why would I bother trying to understand this without a useful application?", however simply adding something like this...

I made a little simple jumping vehicle, using movers and direct control and things and it annoyed me that you could be moving at full speed going left, jump and hold right and your air control was so great that you could land further back than where you started. I didn't want to remove air control completely, so I simply added a filtering system than limited the analogue stick signal to the range +/- 50%. Any signal >50 becomes 50.
    ...into the blog entry suddenly turns it from pure theory into something more practical, and I think you'll find more people might actually take notice of the article by simply putting it into the context of a useful application.

Your First Group 10000 Experience Points 5000 Experience Points 1000 Experience Points 500 Experience Points
    PSN
    rtm223
    Blog Entries

Of course you knew I'd say that, I'm quite predictable! Much as this is probably quite predictable:

Quote Originally Posted by Aya042 View Post
    At the same time, I'm not convinced that there is necessarily a "signal duality" (i.e. two separate signals), but rather that that all signals are analogue
    I'm not buying that for one second.

It's quite easy to generate any given analogue value and have it interpreted as 0 or a 1, depending on how that value was generated - regardless of the device interpreting the digital signal. The timer is a perfect example - the digital output is 0 until it fills, then 1 until it empties - therefore at every analogue value in between (0.001 to 99.999, or whatever), the binary value can be either 0 or 1, this component alone completely debunks your model (which, incidentally, is the model I originally assumed). So I am very much making a definition between two signal types on the line. The signal combiner is another great example of a single component that debunks the model. You can produce analogue 0-99.999 with a digital 0 or 1, and analogue 0- (-99.999) with 0 or -1.
    -- ? --

I'm not buying that for one second.
    Hmm'kay. I clearly haven't done as much experimentation in that regard, so I guess I'll have to take a closer look at these components. I'll put together some sort of 'voltmeter' device which displays the analogue and digital value of a signal (although if you're correct, the definition of "digital" might be too hazy to make this practical) , and see if that helps. I had a quick go at an analogue one yesterday, but if there is some sort of digital disparity, hopefully this will help to reveal it.

....a little simple jumping vehicle...
    That's a good point. I don't think it would've occurred to me to do it your way: I probably would've used a separate mover during jumps and just given it 50% of the strength of the other one. Your solution is more elegant and has further reaching implications. It's the kind of extra polish that will separate the really good vehicles from all the other crap out there.

Don't get me wrong, even without examples, I found it all interesting, and I was able to follow most of it, but like Aya said, I was starting to wonder why I'd care about a sine wave. I used to work in communications, so I know how useful sine waves can be in the real world, but I can't think of anything that could be achieved with one in lbp. Still, it's a decent example because it's something anybody with any kind of electrical or engineering background can relate to.

Quote Originally Posted by Sehven View Post
    Don't get me wrong, even without examples, I found it all interesting, and I was able to follow most of it, but like Aya said, I was starting to wonder why I'd care about a sine wave. I used to work in communications, so I know how useful sine waves can be in the real world, but I can't think of anything that could be achieved with one in lbp. Still, it's a decent example because it's something anybody with any kind of electrical or engineering background can relate to.
    Hmmmm.... Maybe something akin to Johnee's dragonfly's "hover jitter"?

Level completed: 37%, Points required for next Level: 567
    7 days registered 5000 Experience Points 1000 Experience Points 500 Experience Points 250 Experience Points
    PSN
    XFrogBoyX
    Blog Entries

Shameless bump, I managed to power through this first instalment of Logic Blog 2, and what a beastie it is - huge wall of text awaits those brave enough here.

It's over 4000 words longs, so Id advise you to take it in stages, section 2 can be skipped initially (though it's probably well worth reading at some point), and realistically each of the sections is a logical stopping point if you need a break. It probably needs an extra proof read, but I don't feel like doing it right now, so I apologise for errors.

As ever, comments, feedback and questions in the thread or in the blog, please
    Thanks! I'll read it right away! BTW, rtm just double-posted? oh mai lawd!
    Tan is banned from both the LBPC Server and the LBplanetarium Server, Hahahahahhahahhaha!!!!!

Guys, is there any way to make a intersect function? (intersect of two value ranges of course).

Or.. Should I just wait until I get the tools?

PSN
    rtm223
    Blog Entries

Intersect of two value ranges? I'm not entirely sure what you mean? What would be the inputs to such a system and what output would you expect?
    -- ? --

Intersect of two value ranges? I'm not entirely sure what you mean? What would be the inputs to such a system and what output would you expect?
    This.

Just the intersection range between two different ranges of values. (4 inputs, the min and max of the first range, and second. | 2 outputs, the min and max of the intersection of the values.)

Quote Originally Posted by Fishrock123 View Post
    4 inputs, the min and max of the first range, and second. | 2 outputs, the min and max of the intersection of the values.
    If you don't need to handle negative values, then it's pretty simple. The intersection would be from the maximum of the two 'min' values, to the minimum of the two 'max' values, so feed both 'min' values into an OR gate, and both 'max' values into an AND gate. You'll might have to deal with the case where the resulting 'min' is higher than the resulting 'max', which indicates there's no intersection range.

If you do need negative values, then it's a little trickier, as the gates compare magnitude, not value. What exactly do you need this for?

Quote Originally Posted by Aya042 View Post
    If you don't need to handle negative values, then it's pretty simple. The intersection would be from the maximum of the two 'min' values, to the minimum of the two 'max' values, so feed both 'min' values into an OR gate, and both 'max' values into an AND gate. You'll might have to deal with the case where the resulting 'min' is higher than the resulting 'max', which indicates there's no intersection range.

If you do need negative values, then it's a little trickier, as the gates compare magnitude, not value. What exactly do you need this for?
    Partially wondering, and possibly something "HitPoints" wise. And, no, positive values will be just fine. If you have negative HP, your dead, I think...

PSN
    rtm223
    Blog Entries

An alternative could be to test for being in either range and then ANDing the result... Probably far less efficient though and I don't think there are any benefits.

New blog out, though it's not an interesting one, merely a precursor to the next proper one which will be out once formatting and pictures are completed:

Analogue Logic - Notation
    -- ? --

15. Thanks!

The Multi-media drunkard GruntosUK's Avatar
    Level completed: 49%, Points required for next Level: 510
    Recommendation Second Class 10000 Experience Points 5000 Experience Points 1000 Experience Points 500 Experience Points
    PSN
    GruntosUK

Yeah, whatever was said in this thread I agree with and completely understand, 100%.
    I'm on twitter, Follow me here
    -----------------
    -----------------

17. Thanks!

PSN
    rtm223
    Blog Entries

It possibly doesn't help being as drunk as I know you are right now Grant
    -- ? --

PSN
    rtm223
    Blog Entries

the next proper one which will be out once formatting and pictures are completed:
    bam

and filler here... shhhhh it's not spam if the moderators do it....
    -- ? --

Hunger Games!!!!!!!!!!!!! Super_Dork_42's Avatar
    Level completed: 43%, Points required for next Level: 522
    Your First Group 1000 Experience Points 500 Experience Points 250 Experience Points 100 Experience Points
    PSN
    Super_Dork_42
    Blog Entries

I like the date you chose for the update. 10/10/2010 or 10-10-10 a.k.a. 101010 = 42 in binary.

Sig by KoingWolf! Superavatar by TheZimInvader (crowned now) and animated by Rhyfelwr!
    Please play my level
    My Mediocre Art Thread (REQUESTS CLOSED)
    THIS SENTENCE IS FALSE
    Don't think about it. Don't think about it. Don't think about it. Don't think about it.
    Radio Playstation
    Oh yeah. I'm asexual. Curious? Click here.

PSN
    rtm223
    Blog Entries

In fairness, I chose to publish on the day it was finished. All else is coincidence
    -- ? --

PSN
    rtm223
    Blog Entries

http://www.lbpcentral.com/forums/ent...-3-DAC-amp-ADC

Probably the most painful logic blog to produce ever. I have no idea why, because it's al pretty simple this time around. Also, it's just ADC and DAC, covered in great detail, so you may well know the vast majority of the base concepts.

Once again, not fully proof read - point out my errors to me please
    -- ? --

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast