BG1, PRELOAD BG2, PRELOAD

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 34
  1. #1

    Default A Bark In The Dark v.1.1 (Hard) and (Easier version)

    A Bark In The Dark by RangerZero
    Sackboy was taking his dog for a walk but looks like he should have a bought a dog chain because all of a sudden the dog ran away. This is how his new adventure started. Sackboy followed the dog's tracks and ended up in a cave... A very special cave.


    This level is intended and strongly recommended to be played in single player mode. It's also harder than what the general LBPer expects. It's nothing extreme for those difficulty specialists out there either mind you. I'd say the level is hard because that's what I expect most people to think of it. Or should we say it's for "experienced LBPers"?

    Update:
    There is now some "Easier version" right beside the Hard one. This is for a more general LBP audience.




    Points of interests:

    - A truly multi-path level.
    - A sidekick for sackboy!
    - Multiple secrets to find.



    Hints:

    While your sidekick will talk to you along the way and suggesting you to do stuff, if you're stuck you probably want to grab some brownish green fabric around to proceed. Also, this is not a level where you rush in. It's definetely that level made for exploration and taking your time. Anyhow, you'll notice soon enough that rushing through the level here doesn't work. lol



    Screenshots:









    Video with all the secrets!! (valid for both versions)

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E2DwdpjAAFo



    Have fun! Please don't shy on feedback

    .
    Last edited by RangerZero; 12-18-2009 at 04:32 AM. Reason: added 1.1 to the thread title to indicate there's been a bunch of fixes done.

  2. #2

    Default

    amazin loved the bat. how did it follow you? Fun and looks really good
    Coming soon:

    PSP:
    Back Down Under:
    http://www.lbpcentral.com/forums/sho...ack-Down-Under

    PS3:
    Crane Capers(Survival Challenge)

  3. Thanks!


  4. #3

    Default

    This is an INCREDIBLY innovate level in many ways. I've played it 4 times now and have yet to tire of it. The way the "sidekick" follows you around and brings you light works well.

    I think the thing I MOST enjoyed is something that is unusual in a LBP level - I could see caches of point bubbles that I really wanted.... but had no idea how to get. There is always a reason to try the level again, and I kept finding cool ways to get into areas that I had not seen in the prior playthrough. Absolutely BRILLIANT design.

    Yes, it's difficult, but I didn't find it frustrating at all... and the feeling of dread when you walk up to the edge of a drop trying to see ahead just enough to know if its safe was priceless.

    I honestly could not find any negatives gameplay-wise to this level - and I tried pretty hard. You've created an experience that feels unique.

    The only thing I would mention at all is to do some slight corner editing on some of the square-edged platforms to give them a more cave-look. But that's fairly minor and subjective.

    145.62 stars and 64.5 hearts! It's levels like this that make you realize there is still ground to cover in LittleBigPlanet!
    F4F Participant
    Levels published: F4F: LIBERATOR - Spotlighted!!!! -, Vectroids - MM Picked!!! Spotlighted!!!! -, Sea Dragon -Spotlighted-, Roll out the Barrel! -Spotlighted-, Splat Invaders III: Insurrection - Spotlighted-, Destiny! -Spotlighted! MM Community pick!-, Vertigo! -Spotlighted-, Splat Invaders Saga -Spotlighted! IGN Pick!-, Splat Invaders II: The Caverns of Splat -Spotlighted!-, Tiger Woods Mini Golf -Spotlighted!-, Starship Troopers -Spotlighted!-

  5. Thanks!


  6. #4

    Default

    I had a really fun time playing this level, the bat that follows you is one of the best thing I've seen in this game (it reminds me of Black Doom ).
    The multi-pathing is great and adds a really high replay-value, and the level itself is a nice challenge - but not so hard as you say; the only thing I'd change are the grabbable rocks, the dissolvable walls and some other platforms that are too regular and looks too much out of place, and the auto-activating checkpoints, that sometimes make life too easy.

    Overall 5/5 and a heart, I'll be sure to play it again, since I found only one secret é_é

    For F4F, http://www.lbpcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=19800

  7. Thanks!


  8. #5
    fun and frivolous rtm223's Avatar
    Points: 64,735, Level: 78
    Level completed: 93%, Points required for next Level: 115
    Overall activity: 0%
    Your First Group 10000 Experience Points 5000 Experience Points 1000 Experience Points 500 Experience Points
    PSN
    rtm223
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Malmö, Sweden
    Posts
    8,677
    Blog Entries
    12

    Default

    I don't have time for a full review of this level, but I played a couple of days ago and I can't recommend it enough. It's great fun and so perfectly captures the multi-path concept. You feel like you have free roam, but at the same time you are still carefully led so you don't end up endlessly looping or getting lost. Very well executed IMO.

    Go play it!
    -- ? --

  9. Thanks!


  10. #6
    happy to be here... Gravel's Avatar
    Points: 24,451, Level: 47
    Level completed: 91%, Points required for next Level: 99
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Your First Group 5000 Experience Points 1000 Experience Points 500 Experience Points 250 Experience Points
    PSN
    Gravel
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Now that, is the real question
    Posts
    1,299

    Default An innovative thriller...

    Now this is a game I could get lost in! Multi-path, using something as simple as light as an obstacle, a great-great player following device! Point bubble-caches. A lost dog. All these simple pieces add up to so much more. Great use of the paintanator... A thinking mans obstacle course... I do not think it hard at all, the scent of challenge is in the wind though...

    and my absolute favorite part was the platform/grab horizontal mover... That mechanic could be a whole timed race obstacle course... In fact it may just be my next level...
    .................................................. ...................

    "The world strode slowly upon my heart measuring precisely each fractal footfall with shiftless negligence. I lay in its' wake scathe-sighted, the Gravel of Man, pandering pan in hand prospecting paradise, and you... talk of my immortal soul?"

    With A Name Like GRAVEL... you can count on a rash!

  11. Thanks!


  12. #7

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Gravel View Post
    That mechanic could be a whole timed race obstacle course... In fact it may just be my next level...
    I'd be genuinely curious to see that!


  13. #8
    LBPCs 4th favourite Irish KQuinn94Z's Avatar
    Points: 17,397, Level: 40
    Level completed: 19%, Points required for next Level: 653
    Overall activity: 0%

    PSN
    Quinn94Z
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Ireland
    Posts
    1,903

    Default

    Can't wait to give it ago. I'll give you some feedback

    Levels:
    Teamwork! (TWO PLAYER ONLY)
    Lost In the Tribal Caves
    Howdy Partners! By Myself And Ruof (2 PLAYER ONLY) --- *SPOTLIGHTED*
    The Fantastical adventure- The Kingdom! --- *SPOTLIGHTED*
    The Fantastical adventure 2-The Safari Chase!*SPOTLIGHTED*


  14. Thanks!


  15. #9

    Default

    Gameplay: My friend, this is one of the most fun levels I've played in LBP. The replay value is humongous! I've been playing it for about an hour now :P. The level design is ingenious, and I think I've found most of the secrets that are offered. Every time I went down one path I got too curious about the other ones so I had to go back! I'm about to get the top score, as soon as I can do it without dying.

    Visuals: Incredible. I feel like I'm really exploring a cave, and the tedium of the darkness just makes every edge so suspenseful. The background illustration is evidence that you spent a lot of time on this level, and you really gave us something to look at.

    Puzzles and Secrets: The secrets really make this level really over-the-top amazing. The camera angles are positioned perfectly so you can just glimpse the secrets enough to get tantalized. I'm thinking I've found all of them... but who knows? I'll keep looking :P.

    I'm definitely going to keep replaying this level until I can get it down pat. You've created a level that is genuinely replayable. Congratulations on that.

    I gave it Five Stars and a Heart.

    If you get a chance, check out my levels. They certainly don't stack up next to yours, as they're my first two levels, and I'm pretty new, but I could use the feedback!
    PSN ID: Lieufa

    Levels
    F4F: The Mending of Kah'Mai Peaks.
    http://www.lbpcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=20447

  16. Thanks!


  17. #10

    Default

    Got your invitation pm- funnily enough, I had just come back from playing this level when you sent it, so it was kinda pointless to send. ah well ^-^

    Anyway... brilliant level. Five stars and a heart. Not much else to say, loved everything about it- the exploration and having multiple paths most of all. Was a bit short, but that may have just have been my route... I did have trouble with the last puzzle on my route through it (it was the grabbing the giant sponge to jump on a small sponge to fling you up past the firey thing- the last part going up, you know what i mean the one going up not right... meh doesn't matter, was good regardless).

    One thing that did bug me: you had to jump to grab the sponge pillars to move them, then jump off before you get to the bottom because you get squished if you stay on them. Probably unfixable in it's current state because of LBP physics, but doesn't matter, this is still an awesome level, and one i'll probably actually play again to find other secrets

    This statement is true.

  18. Thanks!


  19. #11

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by RockSauron View Post
    One thing that did bug me: you had to jump to grab the sponge pillars to move them, then jump off before you get to the bottom because you get squished if you stay on them. Probably unfixable in it's current state because of LBP physics, but doesn't matter, this is still an awesome level, and one i'll probably actually play again to find other secrets

    Indeed not fixable. See it as Sackboy using his own weight to drag the thing down.

    .

  20. #12
    Toolmaster of LBPCentral v0rtex's Avatar
    Points: 38,029, Level: 60
    Level completed: 15%, Points required for next Level: 1,021
    Overall activity: 0%
    7 days registered 5000 Experience Points 1000 Experience Points 500 Experience Points 250 Experience Points
    PSN
    v0rtex2002
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Minnesota (USA)
    Posts
    2,085
    Blog Entries
    5

    Default

    I played this last night. When I read the title/description and saw that it was labeled "hard" I was worried (as my platforming skills are on par with those of a petrified lump of... well anyway...), but as I played the level I really enjoyed myself.

    As others have said, the true multi-path design on this is brilliant. I feel like I could play it 100 times and not know for sure if I've found every nook and cranny (did you pay Mm for extra thermometers??).

    The tracking mechanic is wonderful and works so well, both as a gameplay device and as a character (loved the bat and his narration). And I must reiterate the opinions given above... the narrow scope of visible light makes the whole experience amazing - dramatic, suspenseful, challenging, and a visual treat.

    I only found one secret, so I must return and keep hunting.\

    If you're reading this and haven't played it, go now! We'll wait for you.

    , hearted, and tagged Brilliant and Multi-Path

  21. Thanks!


  22. #13

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by v0rtex View Post
    (did you pay Mm for extra thermometers??).
    Oh great, looks like I won't have to make a Vortex switch!
    But you know what's REALLY wierd? I dunno if it's me getting ridiculously thermo effective with experience but believe it or not I still have HALF the thermo on this level.

    I don't even know if having this much thermo left is cool or shameful. lol

    .

  23. #14
    Fond Farewell :) MrsSpookyBuz's Avatar
    Points: 22,108, Level: 45
    Level completed: 51%, Points required for next Level: 442
    Overall activity: 0%
    Recommendation Second Class 10000 Experience Points 5000 Experience Points 1000 Experience Points 500 Experience Points
    PSN
    MrsSpookyBuz
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    United Kingdom
    Posts
    1,639
    Blog Entries
    15

    Default

    I was looking forward to this and I've just played it.

    Good beginning, and some good obstacles. And the bat following me everywhere was brilliant.

    It was a tad strange that some bolts were invisible and others weren't. But this is probably me being a bit picky.

    Overall, I think I found this a bit overwhelming. Having choices on where to go is great, and of course, you've titled this level as 'hard'. I just got the feeling that it was more a test of how much difficulty you could throw at the player, rather than it being merely challenging. Players who enjoy difficult levels will relish this, but after a half dozen tries it got a bit tedious for me, I'm afraid.

    The rotating platforms with spikes was challenging, and I died quite a few times. I persevered, jumped into a tunnel where there was a sponge wall or door. I grabbed it and it started to lower, and I was immediately squished. So back I go to the rotating platforms again. Repeat.

    Maybe I'm being a bit harsh. Seems like a whole load of effort went into this, and it's certainly not bad in any sense of the word. It was just a bit disappointing to me that every time I seemed to be making progress, yet another 'obstacle of almost-certain death' would confront me straight away.

    Like I say, some will relish this relentlessness. But not me. Sorry.


    Little Big Aquarium | Darkness Falls | Dragon Rider 1, 2 & 3 | The Sandcastle (spotlighted!)
    Hyper Cube (Mm Pick!) | Hyper Cube 2 | Hyper Cube 3 | Hyper Cube Frenzy (spotlighted!)
    Hyper Sphere (spotlighted!) | Hyper Sphere Revolution (spotlighted!) | Hyper Sphere Pandemonium (spotlighted!)
    Project GENESIS: Prelude (spotlighted!) | Project GENESIS: Requiem (spotlighted!)


    MrsSpookyBuz: YouTube Channel

  24. Thanks!


  25. #15

    Default

    the paintinator look out of place in the one part of the level with the wall with a paint switch on it, i maybe use a normal switch and make it raise a stone gate. i never went in that bit thou so it might have to do with a section. aslo id corner edit the cave ground to look more bumpy(like a jackofcorse level). id also conrer edit the ferris wheel platforms and make the bolts on them visible
    Coming soon:

    PSP:
    Back Down Under:
    http://www.lbpcentral.com/forums/sho...ack-Down-Under

    PS3:
    Crane Capers(Survival Challenge)

  26. Thanks!


  27. #16

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MrsSpookyBuz View Post
    It was a tad strange that some bolts were invisible and others weren't. But this is probably me being a bit picky.
    I fixed that. Tks to tell me because some of them really weren't meant to be seen

    .

  28. #17
    Tarsier Level Designer comphermc's Avatar
    Points: 80,225, Level: 88
    Level completed: 5%, Points required for next Level: 1,725
    Overall activity: 0%
    Recommendation Second Class 25000 Experience Points 10000 Experience Points 5000 Experience Points 1000 Experience Points
    PSN
    comphermc
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    US
    Posts
    7,739
    Blog Entries
    5

    Default

    Played this earlier and thought it was very well done. The first time, I went straight for the exit without knowing any better, I took a beeline for it and didn't look back. I was shocked at how short it was, haha. Then I noticed that there were multiple paths a secrets to look out for, so I played again.

    I got stuck for 10 minutes at the vertical, grabby fling section (with the fire popping out of from the wall). It was downright frustrating to fail and then have to lower the big platform only to fail again. The fire was not really necessary there, or could you at least make it so that once the platform is lowered, I don't have to keep doing it over and over when I fail.

    I noticed a section where there could be potential problems, but I was lucky. In the paintinator platform parts, you have a checkpoint, but no paintinator. If someone dies, are they rendered stuck? It would seem like it.

    Did you end using that tracker I sent you, or did you come up with one on your own? Also, the paintinator platforms worked really well! As did the grabby platform puzzle that wants to go left, but you must progress to the right.

    I got pulled away, so I'll have to visit it again.
    Mm Picks: Roller INC 2 | Wizard: Chapter 1 | LittleBigPrius
    Levels: New! -The Button | The Fourth Wall | The Heist: Making a Withdrawal | Rubik's Tube
    Lbp.me profile: comphermc | LittleBigplanet 2 Create Tutorials: LBPlanetorials

  29. Thanks!


  30. #18

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by comphermc View Post
    I noticed a section where there could be potential problems, but I was lucky. In the paintinator platform parts, you have a checkpoint, but no paintinator. If someone dies, are they rendered stuck? It would seem like it.

    Did you end using that tracker I sent you, or did you come up with one on your own? Also, the paintinator platforms worked really well! As did the grabby platform puzzle that wants to go left, but you must progress to the right.
    Oh my!! Big overlook on my part I say. There definetely need a paintinator on that checkpoint. If at all possible because I doubt I can put a paintinator right in front of the checkpoint. I will definetely look into a solution.
    Can we take a paintinator that is behind a checkpoint maybe?

    As for the tracker, I used one I found searching in the game. By Lady Wolf. It was tracking really far and was extremely stable so I just went along with it without thinking more

    .

  31. #19

    Default

    A paintinator can be right in front of a checkpoint if the checkpoint is raised a TINY bit - I do it like that in the Splat Invaders levels - Just glue a tiny piece of dark matter to the checkpoint, raise it a bit, and put the paintinator on the ground in front if it.
    F4F Participant
    Levels published: F4F: LIBERATOR - Spotlighted!!!! -, Vectroids - MM Picked!!! Spotlighted!!!! -, Sea Dragon -Spotlighted-, Roll out the Barrel! -Spotlighted-, Splat Invaders III: Insurrection - Spotlighted-, Destiny! -Spotlighted! MM Community pick!-, Vertigo! -Spotlighted-, Splat Invaders Saga -Spotlighted! IGN Pick!-, Splat Invaders II: The Caverns of Splat -Spotlighted!-, Tiger Woods Mini Golf -Spotlighted!-, Starship Troopers -Spotlighted!-

  32. Thanks!


  33. #20
    LBPCentral Creator Spotlight CrewUniverseUnderConstruction jwwphotos's Avatar
    Points: 101,760, Level: 99
    Level completed: 36%, Points required for next Level: 1,290
    Overall activity: 42.0%
    Your First Group 10000 Experience Points 5000 Experience Points 1000 Experience Points 500 Experience Points
    PSN
    jwwPhotos
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Indiana, USA
    Posts
    18,091
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default

    This is a really cool cute concept. The beginning was really great except not sure about the invisible wall. However, I really liked the scenery and looks like you have really stepped up your game with the fun visuals you had there. The level itself might enjoy a bit more decoration, but I could be torn on that as it could ruin the clean cut platforming.

    I enjoyed the exploring and 'prescribed' free flowing environment you have. It was fun creeping back along a path the opposite way on a replay. Didn't expect that and was pretty cool. In fact some of the cool discoveries were from falling off of this or that and landing down into another area!

    Some of the platforming is a bit difficult here and there and found my discovered points to go plummeting down much as my sackboy towards yet another wicked demise. However, I didn't feel it unfair and completely worth a few more return trips through the level to improve my score and look for the secrets.

    I really liked that bat. That was just funny and the tracking worked great. The entire premise of having to wander through the level just because you lost your dog. Priceless.

    5 stars and a heart.
    (aka jww) - Published Levels
    Space Escape (spotlighted!) // Space Escape II (spotlighted!)
    Survival Line (spotlighted!) // Space Escape Pinball (spotlighted! Mm Picked!)
    Trapped (spotlighted! vita)


  34. Thanks!


Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •