BG1, PRELOAD BG2, PRELOAD

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Dedicated/Virtual Hosting

REMINDER: This is NOT MANDATORY. We will NEVER charge for access to the site, EVER. We will go down in flames before we charge for access. We are simply asking those that have the ability to help support us financially if they are willing to do so.

We've been looking into the causes of our server issues, and it just seems like we've outgrown our server. We're getting bigger by the day, and so has MNRCentral, and they both together have grown past what a shared server (what we're currently on) can handle. Now, here's where we're hitting a snag: the cost. An average dedicated server costs a good $100-$150 per month, which we cannot currently afford. Even ads, which pay about $60-$90 a month (it varies), will not cover the costs. Donations aren't making us much money either - I think we've made about $30-$40 in donations over the past two to three months, which is really not enough to help. I'm not complaining - your support is vital. I'm just providing background before I make this next suggestion:

What do you guys think about subscriptions? It would work similarly to donations, except those who decide to subscribe are auto-billed a preset amount every month. Once you subscribe, you don't have to do anything except sit back and let it work - it will bill you automatically every month. We would obviously set you up with a special account type and privileges that would only cease when you unsubscribed. We could even consider doing something like subscriber-only forums, special giveaways, etc to show our thanks - just something that would provide incentive and legitimate reason to subscribe. Donations are great, don't get me wrong, but a stable source of income would work wonders. As always, if any overflow existed, the money would go back into the site one way or another.

What do you think? If we set the subscription rate at say, $5-$10 a month, would you subscribe?
    Last edited by ConfusedCartman; 12-17-2009 at 03:45 AM.

Level completed: 93%, Points required for next Level: 115
    Overall activity: 0%
    Your First Group 10000 Experience Points 5000 Experience Points 1000 Experience Points 500 Experience Points
    PSN
    rtm223
    Blog Entries

You may wish to hint at a ballpack figure for the monthly subscriptions - hehe just saw your edit.

I'd sign up for that. Does paypal offer a simple way to pay every month, 'cause I'll forget if I have to do it manually
    -- ? --

Quote Originally Posted by rtm223 View Post
    You may wish to hint at a ballpack figure for the monthly subscriptions - hehe just saw your edit.

I'd sign up for that. Does paypal offer a simple way to pay every month, 'cause I'll forget if I have to do it manually
    Once you sign up, it bills you automatically - you just let it work. Plus, you're never locked in - at any time, you can go into your subscription settings in your paypal account and unsubscribe.

I am the Walpony? Neighh! Astrosimi's Avatar
    Level completed: 27%, Points required for next Level: 584

PSN
    Astrosimi
    Blog Entries

This is troubling. I mean, I would have donated by now anyways, but thing is since I'm a minor with out a card, I don't have any way of getting whatever money I have online without asking my parents, and they're not too thrilled on me wasting (For lack of a better word) money on forums and the such.

However, I recently started up this website project and my dad bought me three years hosting on JustHost. It allows me unlimited bandwidth and domains on one account, so maybe I could help out there if possible. As in, MAYBE you could host LBP Central over there. I don't know if it could work, or if you're comfortable with it, and I don't know if you're even able to do that in the first place, but if you can, you might wanna consider it.

Personally I wouldn't like it. It might have to be necessary, but it would slowly become where this forum is basically a paid service... I've gone through that twice with various other sites and it isn't pretty. It creates a strong divide between those who pay and those who can''t afford to or don't have the means.
    Last edited by Astrosimi; 12-17-2009 at 01:42 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Killian
    When I come to power, every Tuesday will be pancake Tuesday.
    Quote Originally Posted by George Harrison
    Rap music is just computerized crap. I listen to Top of the Pops and after three songs I feel like killing someone.
    Ultimate Bundle courtesy of Zwollie. Thanks man!

King of Level Recordings JKthree's Avatar
    Level completed: 24%, Points required for next Level: 767
    Overall activity: 99.0%
    7 days registered 5000 Experience Points 1000 Experience Points 500 Experience Points 250 Experience Points
    PSN
    JKthree

Personally I think you should have varied subscription rates (and you get less extra stuff with the smaller subscription rate choices). But I can't help by the way of donations or subscriptions, its a long story, sorry .

Are there any alternatives that have crossed your mind besides subscriptions?

Quote Originally Posted by Astrosimi View Post
    This is troubling. I mean, I would have donated by now anyways, but thing is since I'm a minor with out a card, I don't have any way of getting whatever money I have online without asking my parents, and they're not too thrilled on me wasting (For lack of a better word) money on forums and the such.

However, I recently started up this website project and my dad bought me three years hosting on JustHost. It allows me unlimited bandwidth and domains on one account, so maybe I could help out there if possible. As in, MAYBE you could host LBP Central over there. I don't know if it could work, or if you're comfortable with it, and I don't know if you're even able to do that in the first place, but if you can, you might wanna consider it.

Personally I wouldn't like it. It might have to be necessary, but it would slowly become where this forum is basically a paid service... I've gone through that twice with various other sites and it isn't pretty. It creates a strong divide between those who pay and those who can''t afford to or don't have the means.
    I could also offer hosting. unlimited disk space and bandwidth. but no mysql :/
    Add me on PSN: erisalaw54

Want a lockerz account with more than 1000 points? PM me.

If there was a subscription, I wouldn't be here, I might drop in to view some news and posts, but that would be it. (And maybe some nice levels too.) But you need to do what you need to do.

Quote Originally Posted by warlord_evil View Post
    If there was a subscription, I wouldn't be here, I might drop in to view some news and posts, but that would be it. (And maybe some nice levels too.) But you need to do what you need to do.
    No, it's not mandatory - you can continue to browse the site as normal without having to pay anything. We are just asking for some regular support from those who can and are willing to provide it.

9. Thanks!

Can't say I would be able to.

I would leave if I were charged to post here. Joined with the intent of a free experience, already pay enough for DLC and such.

Quote Originally Posted by ePsil0n View Post
    I would leave if I were charged to post here. Joined with the intent of a free experience, already pay enough for DLC and such.
    Let me refer you to a post I made just two posts above yours:

Quote Originally Posted by ConfusedCartman View Post
    No, it's not mandatory - you can continue to browse the site as normal without having to pay anything. We are just asking for some regular support from those who can and are willing to provide it.
    I'll add it to the OP to prevent further confusion.

Alright, that sounds much better. I'm sometimes one to jump to conclusions.

Tarsier Level Designer comphermc's Avatar
    Level completed: 5%, Points required for next Level: 1,725
    Recommendation Second Class 25000 Experience Points 10000 Experience Points 5000 Experience Points 1000 Experience Points
    PSN
    comphermc
    Blog Entries

We'll see how my finances pan out at the start of the new year, but odds are I will be offering my support once again. I will continue to do what I can.

Mm Picks: Roller INC 2 | Wizard: Chapter 1 | LittleBigPrius
    Levels: New! -The Button | The Fourth Wall | The Heist: Making a Withdrawal | Rubik's Tube
    Lbp.me profile: comphermc | LittleBigplanet 2 Create Tutorials: LBPlanetorials

Grand Den Mod-er of LBPC Morgana25's Avatar
    Level completed: 56%, Points required for next Level: 853

PSN
    Morgana25

Quote Originally Posted by comphermc View Post
    We'll see how my finances pan out at the start of the new year, but odds are I will be offering my support once again. I will continue to do what I can.

ditto

would depend on how much per month.

sig by chuck_18mp illustration by TheZimInvader

Chroma Stone Chronicles Veriddian's Gem | Pyrra's Gem | Cerrulean's Gem | Irridia's Gem | Abyssia's Lair
    Dragons of Myth Egypt | Teotihuacan | Iceland | Greece
    Fire and Ice
    Sackrificed MM Picked! lbp.me link for Sackrificed

Morgana25 on lbp.me

Don't mess with Morgana or you get the wand

LBPCentral Creator Spotlight CrewUniverseUnderConstruction jwwphotos's Avatar
    Level completed: 36%, Points required for next Level: 1,290
    Overall activity: 42.0%
    Your First Group 10000 Experience Points 5000 Experience Points 1000 Experience Points 500 Experience Points
    PSN
    jwwPhotos
    Blog Entries

I guess I am a bit confused.

The $5 a month would be the same as what you have now would it not? At least I think a year cost $60. So I guess it is basically the same thing except I guess you are a bit locked into this donation via a subscription of sorts?

I guess I am unclear the advantage as it seems to me given the average willingness and ability to contribue, the bulk of the users here probably don't have the funds to contribute nor have the desire. In other words, do you think a subscription would really get you more subscribers over the ones that already donate?

The extra people that have joined have pushed us above what our current server can deal with which is fine. However it does bring me to ask another question. Do we think this trend continue or is it a spike that we may see fall back down after another month? If the later is the case, can we pull possibly pull more threads over from MNR to support this site in the interim or is it already shared and allocated accordingly? Basically I would hate to see us go to something we have amazing more capacity, but find ourselves not needing it in another month.

Another question if you did proceed with this subscription... If you already contributed for a year, would we have to pay the subscription also or would that then happen once the current term is complete?
    (aka jww) - Published Levels
    Space Escape (spotlighted!) // Space Escape II (spotlighted!)
    Survival Line (spotlighted!) // Space Escape Pinball (spotlighted! Mm Picked!)
    Trapped (spotlighted! vita)

Quote Originally Posted by jwwphotos View Post
    I guess I am a bit confused.

The $5 a month would be the same as what you have now would it not? At least I think a year cost $60. So I guess it is basically the same thing except I guess you are a bit locked into this donation via a subscription of sorts?

I guess I am unclear the advantage as it seems to me given the average willingness and ability to contribue, the bulk of the users here probably don't have the funds to contribute nor have the desire. In other words, do you think a subscription would really get you more subscribers over the ones that already donate?

The extra people that have joined have pushed us above what our current server can deal with which is fine. However it does bring me to ask another question. Do we think this trend continue or is it a spike that we may see fall back down after another month? If the later is the case, can we pull possibly pull more threads over from MNR to support this site in the interim or is it already shared and allocated accordingly? Basically I would hate to see us go to something we have amazing more capacity, but find ourselves not needing it in another month.

Another question if you did proceed with this subscription... If you already contributed for a year, would we have to pay the subscription also or would that then happen once the current term is complete?
    I wouldn't say "locked in", because you can terminate it at any time at your discretion. The goal of this whole idea is not to increase the amount of money we have, but to ensure a more steady flow of funds so we can expect certain things with a higher degree of accuracy. As of now, I have no idea if anyone will donate tomorrow, or a week from now, or a month from now. Subscriptions would alleviate that, allowing us to make more long-term decisions based on the money we make through it, including agreeing to an expensive monthly server fee.

And, no, I do not think this is a trend that will die. I think, even if we waited and the LBP traffic died down a bit, our other site is not going to die down in terms of traffic. The upcoming ModNation Racers beta alone is going to cause our traffic to jump even higher, and since the game hasn't even released yet, we're going to see a consistent rise in overall traffic and server usage for at least a year, if not more.

Regarding your last question, all existing donated funds would be honored. We would swap you over to a "Subscriber" usergroup on the site and treat it as if you had simply pre-paid. We wouldn't allow any more "pre-paid subscriptions", but yes, we would absolutely honor any and all commitments we have made thus for. Let me give you an example: when we switched over from $5 for two months of Donor status to $5 for one month of Donor status, we did not ding those we had promised "$5-for-two months" to - we actually still have active donor accounts that are working on that principle just because that's what we promised when they donated. Simply put: we'll never make a commitment we don't intend to keep.

And yes, I realize that policy will cut down on the amount of money coming in at the beginning, but we'll make do somehow. I don't want you guys to feel obligated in any way - we simply cannot continue to operate the site reliably without switching servers, and doing so is going to require a little more financial stability than what we currently have.
    Last edited by ConfusedCartman; 12-17-2009 at 06:22 AM.

18. Thanks!

Level completed: 93%, Points required for next Level: 115
    PSN
    rtm223
    Blog Entries

Well, as I said, I'm in. My current financial situation means I probably wouldn't even notice it.

Plus I don't see that playing this game would appeal to me half as much without the site

Level completed: 51%, Points required for next Level: 442
    Recommendation Second Class 10000 Experience Points 5000 Experience Points 1000 Experience Points 500 Experience Points
    PSN
    MrsSpookyBuz
    Blog Entries

Okay, I understand the problem, and I understand a dedicated server would be one way to alleviate the issues we're currently experiencing.

It's already been mentioned that those who are unable or unwilling to subscribe shouldn't miss out, though if no one were to subscribe, we'd be in a similar position.

If you need hard numbers at this point, I'm in. One question though - would there be an option to pay annually, i.e. $60 per annum?

Little Big Aquarium | Darkness Falls | Dragon Rider 1, 2 & 3 | The Sandcastle (spotlighted!)
    Hyper Cube (Mm Pick!) | Hyper Cube 2 | Hyper Cube 3 | Hyper Cube Frenzy (spotlighted!)
    Hyper Sphere (spotlighted!) | Hyper Sphere Revolution (spotlighted!) | Hyper Sphere Pandemonium (spotlighted!)
    Project GENESIS: Prelude (spotlighted!) | Project GENESIS: Requiem (spotlighted!)

MrsSpookyBuz: YouTube Channel

LBPCentral Spotlight CrewLBPCentral Spotlight Crew shropshirelass's Avatar
    Level completed: 98%, Points required for next Level: 36
    7 days registered 5000 Experience Points 1000 Experience Points 500 Experience Points 250 Experience Points
    PSN
    shropshire-lass

I'd be happy to donate on a monthly basis.

I do think it's important though that whatever "privileges" are given to subscribers don't make the non-subscribing members feel too much like second class citizens. It would be such a shame if it created a divide in what is now such a great community. Determining the privileges will be a difficult balancing act to get right. If you really don't need to attract that many more subscribers than you currently have donors, I would be tempted to keep the privileges fairly close to what they are at present. Just a thought.

22. Thanks!

Tarsier Level Designer comphermc's Avatar
    Level completed: 5%, Points required for next Level: 1,725
    Recommendation Second Class 25000 Experience Points 10000 Experience Points 5000 Experience Points 1000 Experience Points
    PSN
    comphermc
    Blog Entries

I agree with Lass there, but I also feel that the current donor benefits are fantastic. I'm not sure what else you could need from the site...? Any ideas of how donor status could be made more appealing?
    Mm Picks: Roller INC 2 | Wizard: Chapter 1 | LittleBigPrius
    Levels: New! -The Button | The Fourth Wall | The Heist: Making a Withdrawal | Rubik's Tube
    Lbp.me profile: comphermc | LittleBigplanet 2 Create Tutorials: LBPlanetorials

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast