BG1, PRELOAD BG2, PRELOAD

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Default How To Recreate The 3D Layer Glitch

Introduction

Like my How To Avoid Distorted Avatars And Level Patches When Using Custom Stickers tutorial, this also originates from LBW, but since Ungreth was curious, I've made this fairly comprehensive guide on how to create the glitch objects from scratch. Whether or not this is the same method used by bakscratch is unknown.

What you choose to do with these objects is beyond the scope of this guide, but I'd recommend checking out Teebonesy's Layer Glitch FAQ, and TheAdipose's video tutorial to help you make the most of this glitch.

Method

N.B. I'm using basic wood for both blocks in these examples, but it doesn't really matter too much what materials you use. In retrospect I probably should've used different materials for each block to clarify the images, but I'm too lazy to go back and redo all the images.

Setup

1. Capture a single thick block of wood.

2. Create a thin block of dark matter, and attach an emitter. Use the following settings (leave unspecified settings at their default values):-

Emitter
    Frequency: 5.0s
    Max Emitted At Once: 1

Again, it doesn't really matter too much what the frequency and lifetime are, but it's probably easiest to do when they both have the same value.

3. Set the emitter to emit the previously captured block of wood in the thick layer directly in front of the emitter.

The tutorial now divides into two subsections: the first subsection is for the foreground layers, and the second is for the background layers.

Foreground layers

4. Place the thin dark matter block in the rearmost thin layer, and let it emit blocks of wood in the rearmost thick layer every five seconds.

5. Now place another block of wood in the frontmost thick layer, directly in front of where the emitted block lands after falling out of the emitter.

6. As soon as the emitted block of wood hits the ground, box-select both blocks of wood, and wait for the emitted block to vanish. Another block will be re-emitted, but it doesn't matter. Now all you have to do is press R2 - each time you press it, the non-emitted block of wood will extend further into the foreground.

Background layers

4. Place the thin dark matter block in either the frontmost thin layer, or the one directly behind that. Either way, it emits blocks of wood in the frontmost thick layer every five seconds.

5. Now place another block of wood in the rearmost thick layer, directly behind where the emitted block lands after falling out of the emitter.

6. As soon as the emitted block of wood hits the ground, box-select both blocks of wood, and wait for the emitted block to vanish. Another block will be re-emitted, but it doesn't matter. Now press R2 once, and the non-emitted block will shift into the background layer.

7. Repeat step 6 as many times as you like to shift the non-emitted block further into the background.

8. When you've pushed it back almost as far as you want, repeat step 6 again, but this time, press R2 several times, to extend the block further into the foreground, if you want.

9. In fact you can extend it such that it occupies the background and foreground layers at the same time.

Caveats

There's a few things to watch out for when using the 'glitch' layers:-

• I haven't tested to see how far you can extend the blocks in either direction, but it's possible that there's a limit somewhere which will either stop you extending it, or might just crash the game instead, so be careful.
    • LBP has 11 independant simulation layers, corresponding to the 4 thin layers, the 3 theck layers, the 3 thack layers, and the 'hover' layer (which is the layer in which sackboy hovers when in create mode). Any objects behind the rear thin layer share a simulation layer with the rear thin layer, and any objects in front of the front thin layer share a simulation layer with the 'hover' layer. A consequence of this is that any objects which share the same simulation layer will collide with each other if not held in place with dark matter.
    • Dynamic objects which occupy both the foreground and background glitch layers at the same time also have a tendency to completely crash the PS3 when they come into contact with water, so make sure they're held down with dark matter if you intend to use them underwater. See this post for more info.

Level completed: 66%, Points required for next Level: 340
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Your First Group 10000 Experience Points 5000 Experience Points 1000 Experience Points 500 Experience Points
    PSN
    KernelM
    Blog Entries

OMG THANK YOU SO MUCH! You are a god among men!

Level completed: 15%, Points required for next Level: 597
    Overall activity: 0%
    Your First Group 1000 Experience Points 500 Experience Points 250 Experience Points 100 Experience Points
    PSN
    YEAH_NAH
    Blog Entries

Tnx so much!!!!!!!!!!
    awesome sig by huntedstorm
    Come, raise money for the research for a cure at the "Naux Glitch Research Facility"
    and help those little fellas.

Spoiler Spoiler - Click Here

Quote Originally Posted by RockSauron View Post
    Love is an abstract concept created by carbon based life forms to formulate a reason for their primal urges.
    It means nothing. NOTHING MUHAHAHA

Level completed: 54%, Points required for next Level: 324
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    7 days registered 1000 Experience Points 500 Experience Points 250 Experience Points 100 Experience Points
    PSN
    WA_delmaw

I am currently trying to see how far you can extend these layers... My finger hurts.

edit: I lost my count but it was bit glitchy then
    Last edited by waD_Delma; 03-13-2010 at 06:36 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheAffected View Post
    IT WAS THE BEST SALMON FLAVORED CHICKEN EVER!!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by chinook3 View Post
    OMG!!!!! ITS GOING TO EXPLODE!!!!!!!!! NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!! *gush*pow*

Level completed: 59%, Points required for next Level: 291

PSN
    trip090
    Blog Entries

YOU'VE DONE IT! you've done what bakscratch failed to tell us! thank you! thank yo so much!

just wondering though, MM didn't know how this glitch was done and so couldn't fix it. now it's out in the open, will they fix it?

i'm scared.
    At Least I Have Chicken!

THE COMPLETE GUIDE TO SECRET MATERIALS AND STICKERS
    DESTRUCTION DEVICE

Woah that is so view... bakscratch's Avatar
    Level completed: 33%, Points required for next Level: 541
    Your First Group 5000 Experience Points 1000 Experience Points 500 Experience Points 250 Experience Points
    PSN
    Bakscratch

Well fing done now wait for the 100000 lvls saying how its done thanks from everyone from the comunuty. Idiot.
    Bye for the list then Aya042.

Why do you want to know how to do it this way its harder and two times harder to use i gave it in the simplest way.

Why did you do this just to get some friend.
    Epic Banner : D

Quote Originally Posted by trip090 View Post
    YOU'VE DONE IT! you've done what bakscratch failed to tell us! thank you! thank yo so much!

just wondering though, MM didn't know how this glitch was done and so couldn't fix it. now it's out in the open, will they fix it?

i'm scared.
    bakscratch already told Mm, he told us in a thread he made a while back.

Level completed: 43%, Points required for next Level: 637
    7 days registered 5000 Experience Points 1000 Experience Points 500 Experience Points 250 Experience Points
    PSN
    Ungreth

Aya...you are absolutely awesome!

Thanks for flippin' the bird in the face of esotericism and finally giving our community the knowledge to forge our own tools!

Woah that is so view... bakscratch's Avatar
    Level completed: 33%, Points required for next Level: 541
    Your First Group 5000 Experience Points 1000 Experience Points 500 Experience Points 250 Experience Points
    PSN
    Bakscratch

Cant people see what they are awakening.
    It will be like water but the glitch, Stop while were ahead things will go crazy.
    Epic Banner : D

Your First Group 10000 Experience Points 5000 Experience Points 1000 Experience Points 500 Experience Points
    PSN
    KernelM
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by bakscratch View Post
    Well fing done now wait for the 100000 lvls saying how its done thanks from everyone from the comunuty. Idiot.

Why do you want to know how to do it this way its harder and two times harder to use i gave it in the simplest way.

Your only spiteful because now your not going to be as famous. Aya will be the one who should get all the fame as he (/she) was the one that told the world how to create it, Something you tried to keep to yourself so you could live in your little bubble of fame, But now you have nothing, Nothing at all.

While we are on the subject of "idiot" i thought you were leaving remember, "Screw this site i'm leaving"

you have no idea how long i wanted to cut you down, And it serves you right, SERVES YOU RIGHT

Quote Originally Posted by bakscratch View Post

You realise it was actually you who was being selfish and keeping it to yourself. Besides using your objects you couldn't make it in both background and foreground which I've wanted to do for AGES!!!

KernelM is right Aya deserves the credit, you could have had the credit if you told us how to do it...

Quote Originally Posted by Doopz479 View Post
    Besides using your objects you couldn't make it in both background and foreground which I've wanted to do for AGES!!!
    Uh ... yes you could. We've been able to do that without knowing this glitch for ages.

It's certainly interesting, but I'm not sure why people are so excited about this. It doesn't enable us to DO anything we couldn't do before, and it's not easier than present methodology anyways.

I don't see how this is really practically useful given we can already make background and foreground objects with comparative ease.
    Last edited by Jagrevi; 03-13-2010 at 08:56 PM.

"Oh, Skycake. Why are you so delicious?"

Just to clarify, since it appears Doopz posted twice that we were "unable to make an object that stretched across foreground and background before".

Take a foreground object that's as far foreground as you want, take a background object that's as far background as you want, capture them together, select item to be placed, go lay down material instead.

There, a foreground+background object. We've been able to do that since like a week after the "3d" glitch first came to light, and alot simpler than this way.

Tarsier Level Designer comphermc's Avatar
    Level completed: 69%, Points required for next Level: 531
    Overall activity: 32.0%
    Recommendation Second Class 25000 Experience Points 10000 Experience Points 5000 Experience Points 1000 Experience Points
    PSN
    comphermc
    Blog Entries

Dude, you are on fire. If I may interject, though...

Quote Originally Posted by Aya042 View Post
    LBP has ten independant simulation layers, corresponding to the 4 thin layers, the 3 theck layers, and the 3 thack layers. Any objects behind the rear thin layer share a simulation layer with the rear thin layer, and any objects in front of the front thin layer share a simulation layer with the front thin layer. A consequence of this is that any objects which share the same simulation layer will collide with each other, and generally exhibit odd behvaiour if not held down with dark matter.
    Eh, not quite. You got it right for the background layers, but not for the front. Yes, all layers in the front share one 'layer', but this is not the same layer as the front thin layer from the normal planes. This is actually quite useful, as you can add moving stuff in the front glitch layers that are guaranteed to never interfere with the normal building layers. Such as, oh I don't know, rain.

To be more precise, the front glitch layers occupy the same space as sackboy when he is in hover mode. Hence, getting caught up on the front glitch layers.

Last edited by comphermc; 03-13-2010 at 09:13 PM.
    Mm Picks: Roller INC 2 | Wizard: Chapter 1 | LittleBigPrius
    Levels: New! -The Button | The Fourth Wall | The Heist: Making a Withdrawal | Rubik's Tube
    Lbp.me profile: comphermc | LittleBigplanet 2 Create Tutorials: LBPlanetorials

15. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Jagrevi View Post
    Just to clarify, since it appears Doopz posted twice that we were "unable to make an object that stretched across foreground and background before".

Take a foreground object that's as far foreground as you want, take a background object that's as far background as you want, capture them together, select item to be placed, go lay down material instead.

There, a foreground+background object. We've been able to do that since like a week after the "3d" glitch first came to light, and alot simpler than this way.
    Are you saying to put a foreground piece in front of a background piece? If you are, that ends up with a stupid looking line down the middle. If that's not what you meant.... explain better .

EDIT: Sorry - bunch of people posted while I was typing this up.

So ... silence?

I'm just honestly trying to figure out what it is I'm missing here.

A neat little trivia piece is posted, but something that's not really helpful, and then someone said "they cried", then bakscratch came in here and flammed the OP, then KernelM flamed bakscratch, then bakscratch said we were "awakening" something, someone else posted that they were "afraid".

What is it that I'm missing here? Given what we were already able to do - how is this info in any way useful or more than an interesting piece of trivia. How is it "awakening" anything?

I don't mean this rhetorically, I really want someone to fill me in on why this is such a big deal.
    Last edited by Jagrevi; 03-13-2010 at 09:16 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Doopz479 View Post
    Are you saying to put a foreground piece in front of a background piece? If you are, that ends up with a stupid looking line down the middle. If that's not what you meant.... explain better .
    Capture an object in background layer B and an object in foreground layer A together.

Go to place your captured item.

Don't place it.

Go to the materials section of your toolbag.

Place material.

The material should now be one solid piece extending from Foreground layer A to Background layer B. (plus you can always tweak it's layers a bit by hitting the bumper buttons as with any material)

We've all been doing this for ... well I don't remember how long, but since we all started using the "3d" glitch.
    Last edited by Jagrevi; 03-13-2010 at 09:17 PM.

Recommendation Second Class 25000 Experience Points 10000 Experience Points 5000 Experience Points 1000 Experience Points
    PSN
    comphermc
    Blog Entries

Dude, you are on fire. If I may interject, though...

Quote Originally Posted by Aya042 View Post
    LBP has ten independant simulation layers, corresponding to the 4 thin layers, the 3 theck layers, and the 3 thack layers. Any objects behind the rear thin layer share a simulation layer with the rear thin layer, and any objects in front of the front thin layer share a simulation layer with the front thin layer. A consequence of this is that any objects which share the same simulation layer will collide with each other, and generally exhibit odd behvaiour if not held down with dark matter.
    Eh, not quite. You got it right for the background layers, but not for the front. Yes, all layers in the front share one 'layer', but this is not the same layer as the front thin layer from the normal planes. This is actually quite useful, as you can add moving stuff in the front glitch layers that are guaranteed to never interfere with the normal building layers. Such as, oh I don't know, rain.

To be more precise, the front glitch layers occupy the same space as sackboy when he is in hover mode. Hence, getting caught up on the front glitch layers.

Levels: New! -The Button | The Fourth Wall | The Heist: Making a Withdrawal | Rubik's Tube

PSN
    KernelM
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Jagrevi View Post

So ... silence?

I'm just honestly trying to figure out what it is I'm missing here.

A neat little trivia piece is posted, but something that's not really helpful, and then someone said "they cried", then bakscratch came in here and flammed the OP, then KernelM flamed bakscratch, then bakscratch said we were "awakening" something, someone else posted that they were "afraid".

What is it that I'm missing here? Given what we were already able to do - how is this info in any way useful or more than an interesting piece of trivia. How is it "awakening" anything?

I don't mean this rhetorically, I really want someone to fill me in on why this is such a big deal.
    Because the Working Class Creator were sick of the Fat Cat Fame Finders keeping all the secrets to themselves! Now a scientist has uncovered the truths behind the fat cats profit, Sure the Fat cat gave us a watered down version of the glitch, But now we can select how many layers we want, And theres no better thing than that! VIVA REVOLUTION!

PSN
    comphermc
    Blog Entries

I think it's just a desire for knowledge, Jagrevi. We all wanted to know why it worked. Or how it happened. Personally, I like it because it gives us a few other ideas as to what else might be possible.

22. Thanks!

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast