BG1, PRELOAD BG2, PRELOAD

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Cemetery Drive

Default Cemetery Drive

Cemetery Drive by AbstractSam
    An ancient queen died mysteriously and was buried in a grave
    atop a cemetery about a thousand years ago.
    When she was buried, the cemetery and everyone in it
    became cursed. Travel through the cemetery to restore
    the queen's life and free the cemetery
    and its inhabitants of this dreaded curse!

Difficulty: Easy
    Players: 1-4

This is my first level, the title was inspired by the MCR song "Cemetery Drive."
    I started creating this level like 2 months ago, it took so long because I haven't had the time to work on it, and I had so many great other ideas that made me lose motivation for this level, so I understand if it's not that good. Oh and the story was actually an afterthought. Anyway, I maxed out the thermo, :O And I promise my next level will be better.

Check out the screenies below.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by AbstractSam; 04-20-2010 at 03:22 AM.

>__________> okay seriously...

Hiya! Just played your level. I liked the dark setting, although it was a bit "to" dark sometimes.
    At certain points I had no clue where to go.
    I spend a long time to figure out how to get past the spike wall, only to find out later if I just ran left down at the pillars I could continue. Maybe an arrow here and there or some extra lights could fix this.
    I also got stuck on the first tree you got to pull down, couldn't really see where I was jumping and managed to get stuck in between the branches a few times
    The platforming worked well in the level, nothing spectacular, but good nonetheless.
    The tomb in the end looked cool btw, nice use of the 3d layer glitch.
    Overall a good level I enjoyed playing
    They stole my internet !!!

F4F: Zaboomafoo
    Level series on hold: The Island

4. Thanks!

Level completed: 12%, Points required for next Level: 442
    Overall activity: 0%
    7 days registered 30 days registered 3 months registered 100 Experience Points 250 Experience Points

Not bad for a first level.
    Though I'd suggest deleting the Islands tree and starting from scratch. (That really does take up a lot of room, even when corner edited.)

Yeah, but like I said the level is maxed out. I would like to put a sign or some sort of notification, but can't input anymore stuff. D:

More feedback guys?

shameless bump.........

Level completed: 73%, Points required for next Level: 328
    7 days registered 5000 Experience Points 1000 Experience Points 500 Experience Points 250 Experience Points
    PSN
    XFrogBoyX
    Blog Entries

This looks good, *puts on to play list.

The REAL Stephanie Ravens
    Level completed: 87%, Points required for next Level: 177
    Overall activity: 33.0%
    Your First Group 10000 Experience Points 5000 Experience Points 1000 Experience Points 500 Experience Points
    PSN
    wdddffffff
    Blog Entries

Sorry you haven't gotten more feedback. This level is pretty good. I played it today, and visually, it's great. The lighting definitely sets a fun, halloween kind of mood. The platforming is decent, but there's a lot of running. If it's possible to fill some of these open areas with something to do, even really simple platforming, that would definitely make your level feel more varied. Maybe you could add some arrows that drop or flip or something at sections where you need to back track to make it more clear where to go. I liked the change of mood at the end. It felt very dramatic and important. Good job, I thought this was pretty fun. I gave it 4 stars and a heart.

For F4F, could you check out my level, WaffleWorld 2? Link is in my sig.

10. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Awesomemans View Post
    Sorry you haven't gotten more feedback. This level is pretty good. I played it today, and visually, it's great. The lighting definitely sets a fun, halloween kind of mood. The platforming is decent, but there's a lot of running. If it's possible to fill some of these open areas with something to do, even really simple platforming, that would definitely make your level feel more varied. Maybe you could add some arrows that drop or flip or something at sections where you need to back track to make it more clear where to go. I liked the change of mood at the end. It felt very dramatic and important. Good job, I thought this was pretty fun. I gave it 4 stars and a heart.

For F4F, could you check out my level, WaffleWorld 2? Link is in my sig.
    Thanks for the feedback, unfortunetly I can't add any more stuff to the level. :O Anyway, I'll check out your level next time I get on.

Level completed: 73%, Points required for next Level: 328
    7 days registered 5000 Experience Points 1000 Experience Points 500 Experience Points 250 Experience Points
    PSN
    XFrogBoyX
    Blog Entries

I played this earlier, it was really neat, and the length was very good. The visuals were also very good, and they were never bland. I could tell you knew what you were doing throughout the level. Also it had some new atmosphere feels to it, especially the kind that had the purple hints to it, I can't remember where that part is though. The end was very good too, it kept me happy at the end. Good work. I can't wait to see what you make in the future.

and a well deserved heart.

13. Thanks!

Grand Den Mod-er of LBPC Morgana25's Avatar
    Level completed: 56%, Points required for next Level: 853

PSN
    Morgana25

Just played this one and you have some really good stuff going on in it.

+ Lights are nice
    + Great scale for the landscape
    + I like that you use Global Lighting
    + Rocks and caverns look awesome
    + Length is good

Couple of things that I had some issues with.

- Layer management - there's a lot of layer shifting going on in this level. Keep in mind when you test it if there are areas where sackboy jumps and he moves in between layers it's usually a good idea to adjust the geometry to keep him from shifting needlessly. The best levels out there do this and it can take a good level and make it really frustrating if it isn't adjusted.

- Lots of backtracking. A little backtracking can be fun - especially if something has changed in the area your running back through but in this level there are three cases where you have to run back through an area and it's really a long run back. Breaks the energy of the level as a player if they know they have to spend the next 40 seconds running back to where they just were. Keep the backtracking in closer areas and don't make them quite so long.

I only point these things out because otherwise the level is really great. Love the architecture and lights especially.

I gave it 4 stars. Thanks for sharing it. Looking forward to more from you.

sig by chuck_18mp illustration by TheZimInvader

Chroma Stone Chronicles Veriddian's Gem | Pyrra's Gem | Cerrulean's Gem | Irridia's Gem | Abyssia's Lair
    Dragons of Myth Egypt | Teotihuacan | Iceland | Greece
    Fire and Ice
    Sackrificed MM Picked! lbp.me link for Sackrificed

Morgana25 on lbp.me

Don't mess with Morgana or you get the wand

15. Thanks!

Very dark and mysterious atmosphere Long playthrough and some interesting and great scenery with 3d layer glitch

Some more hints also should be added like when you climb the tree branches to get to the upper level after you crossed the bridge its very tricky to get up also very easy to get stuck in branches and towards the end very very dark I guessed where I was jumping since the path is very hard to see
    Good level though for your first I enjoyed playing I rate the level plz try my Adept Ninja feed back would be apreciated
    Last edited by Mike0_o; 04-22-2010 at 11:03 AM.

17. Thanks!

Thanks allot for the feedback guys.

Professional Day Dreamer CYMBOL's Avatar
    Level completed: 74%, Points required for next Level: 187
    Overall activity: 3.0%

PSN
    CYMBOL

Ok - first - thanks for playing my level - I played yours as soon as I could get to it (hey, it's the same day!)

First, the bad - too dark in some areas, and I got stuck at the tree you pull down. I had to pop out and could not get up the tree to save my life. From reading the thread it seems I was supposed to back track?
    Unfortunately, I didn't finish cause I did not know what I was supposed to do.

Another issue was the gameplay - fairly bland. Pulling grabbable material over to jump on is not gameplay. It's ok to use as a puzzle, but really, once is enough. I also noticed one of the grabbable materials is "rock" shaped - but the other was simply a grabbable square which did not fit in with your level.

Other than the beginning being way too dark - everything looked quite nice. The lighting was eerie and the level architecture was very nice - way better than my first level.

Obviously, I didn't make it to the end, but after the introduction of the story, it seemed like an empty level. No characters to provide me motivation to continue, etc. The level felt incomplete SO FAR - I do not know what happens later, but the beginning felt empty.

My advice - dark is good, but you can still light up the players and use lighting for atmosphere.
    Work on unique gameplay throughout the level.
    I think you have a solid handle on architecture - certainly better than I did with my first level.

Looking forward to what you come up with next.

Quote Originally Posted by CYMBOL View Post
    Ok - first - thanks for playing my level - I played yours as soon as I could get to it (hey, it's the same day!), etc.
    So what part did you actually stop at? The trees? lol..

You don't actually backtrack were the tree area is, and also, the tree area is very early in the level, so there isn't just moving rocks for gameplay.
    Last edited by AbstractSam; 04-24-2010 at 06:52 PM.

PSN
    CYMBOL

Was I just supposed to climb the tree? Cause I tried and tried and kept getting stuck. Let me know what I'm supposed to to here so I can finish your level and give proper feedback. As I said, all my feedback was based on the "beginning". I'd love to play it all the way through.

Oh, btw, I create more than play - so it's probably much more my fault than yours that I could not progress.

Yeah, your supposed to knock down one tree, then climb it (as you can see the branches are shaped as platforms), then jump on the other tree and knock it down, etc.

PSN
    CYMBOL

I did knock down the tree - I climbed it - but kept getting stuck. I'll take a look again (as I said, I'm not the best player, so I'm sure it's a problem with me - not your level).

Thanks!

Well the trees were oddly shaped, I wish I could of made it wear they weren't so confusing D:

3 attempts and I haven't been able to finish your level. I think I've been going in circles but can't figure out how to get anywhere. I did get past the trees and such but when the cut scene showed that something happened, I can't figure out where to go. Another issue I was having was the layer shifting. I couldn't jump forward or backwards sometimes, and sometimes when I was jumping I'd jump right into the back layer up against trees. You might want to look at those kinds of issues.

Pro: Very nice atmosphere. I liked your lighting through most of it, although at times it was too dark to tell where to go next. But the spookiness was really good.

26. Thanks!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast