BG1, PRELOAD BG2, PRELOAD

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Default Most Advanced Bipedal Mech in LBP: VT-5A Lightning--Now with Prize

Lightning cannon frying the helicopter. Pic courtesy of Incinerator22

Left-The VT-5 sporting its new legs Right-closer view of the cockpit and weaponry. The lights indicate which weapons are currently active for each player

Use the jetpack to get in the mech (you can hold down R1 to grab the inside of the seat and then hit circle to release the jetpack).

The driver has a auto-aiming machine gun and a lightning gun and can switch between them at any time. The lightning gun is extremely powerful and rips right through any enemy you use it on (which in this level, just means it can rip right through the forcefield and helicopter you encounter because I haven't given it any more enemies to fight just yet) and it has about a 20 second cool down time before it can fire again. The gunner has an aimable machine gun and a flame thrower (that came out looking more like a lava gun... but that's not necessarily a bad thing) and can switch between them at will.

A helicopter I threw together in about an hour so you'd have something to shoot. I'm actually pretty happy with how it came out.

The mech has the latest in tilt sensor, motion sensor, and ground sensors (my previous mechs relied on mag keys placed all over the ground to determine whether they were on the ground--this one has its own sensor). I think I might've used every exploitable glitch in the game: it uses thin gas, theck/thack parts, glitched materials, plasmafied material, invisible matter, the 50 layer glitch, compressed materials and objects, and probably a few more that I can't remember.

Controls:
    • Double tap R1 while in either seat to open or close the door.
    • Single tap R1 to switch weapons.
    • Hold R1 to fire (the lightning gun has to charge for a few seconds before it fires-you can see the lights getting brighter as it builds up a charge).
    • (While in driver seat) Walk right or left to make the mech walk right or left.
    • (While in gunner seat) Walk left or right to aim the primary weapon.
    • (While in driver seat) Jump to make the mech jump. You can jump a second time to keep the mech in the air longer (double jump).

[EDIT 7/03/10] Added an 'A' to the name to designate the revised mech with new legs, and added the mech as a prize to the scoreboard. I intended to make a full-featured level and then gift the mech, but I just haven't felt like it much since learning of all the goodies lbp2 will have: why work so hard at improving the mech and making a level that works for it when it'll be so much easier to make a much better mech and level in lbp2? So yeah, the mech is given as a prize. I think I've removed most of the dlc aside from the mgs stuff, but I may have missed some stickers or something, so if you can't collect it, let me know what dlc pack is stopping you and I'll see if it's something that I can remove. [EDIT 8/20/10] Removed the Buzz, Killzone, and Ico dlc. If you use the mech in a level, you'll need to emit it to keep it from breaking: a bug in certain objects makes some decorations, switches, etc. disappear when you place the object from your popit, but it doesn't happen to emitted objects.

Last edited by Sehven; 08-20-2010 at 09:56 AM.

OMG this is one of the best looking machines I have seen in LBP does it work?

3. Thanks!

Sackperson Demagogue Incinerator22's Avatar
    Level completed: 11%, Points required for next Level: 1,071
    Overall activity: 0%
    Recommendation Second Class 10000 Experience Points 5000 Experience Points 1000 Experience Points 500 Experience Points
    PSN
    Incinerator22
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Arnaldo17 View Post
    OMG this is one of the best looking machines I have seen in LBP does it work?
    Bidirectionally! And very smoothly I might add.

5. Thanks!

Nope! It's Chuck Testa Gilgamesh's Avatar
    Level completed: 96%, Points required for next Level: 49
    Your First Group 10000 Experience Points 5000 Experience Points 1000 Experience Points 500 Experience Points
    PSN
    Jirugameshi
    Blog Entries

Definitely going to play this later today. It looks to be the most advanced mech I've seen in LBP to date.

Midnight Revenge

SackMech II
    Training

SackMech I
    Trailer | Mission 0 | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7

7. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Incinerator22 View Post
    Bidirectionally! And very smoothly I might add.
    I appreciate the vote of confidence, but I'm actually still not thrilled with its smoothness. It runs pretty well on the ground (though I can't seem to keep it from leaning back sometimes) and I love how its hill climbing ability came out (it can handle any of the terrain in the level except the near vertical surfaces), but if you jump from anything other than a dead stop, it can go crazy sometimes. Unfortunately, I had to use a lot of peach floaty to keep it upright in the air, which, when combined with the weight of the feet and any fast movement gives you a pretty wobbly mech.

Quote Originally Posted by Gilgamesh View Post
    Definitely going to play this later today. It looks to be the most advanced mech I've seen in LBP to date.
    Thanks. I realize it may be a bit arrogant to go around claiming it's the most advanced in all of lbp, but it always seems like the arrogant titles get more plays.
    Last edited by Sehven; 05-21-2010 at 05:29 PM.

Nope! It's Chuck Testa Gilgamesh's Avatar
    Level completed: 96%, Points required for next Level: 49
    Your First Group 10000 Experience Points 5000 Experience Points 1000 Experience Points 500 Experience Points
    PSN
    Jirugameshi
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Sehven View Post
    [...]Thanks. I realize it may be a bit arrogant to go around claiming it's the most advanced in all of lbp, but it always seems like the arrogant titles get more plays.
    Well, I've looked at many mechs through the LBP search. I like to go out of my way to find them and try them out; to see how others have overcome the same obstacles I've faced differently. Very few were really advanced though. The vast majority of LBP mechs I've seen can only move forward, and can't move and fire at the same time because they use grab switches for both functions. Many are also painfully slow walkers and I haven't found any that allowed vertical hops or jumps.

I've never really considered my own mechs as super advanced or anything, but it seems many mech makers don't go beyond the first step of getting the thing to walk forward without falling over (which is arguably the toughest step).

Of course, if we included top-down bipedal mechs in the sample I think my SackMech 2.0 prototype would have this beat as the most advanced.

Midnight Revenge

SackMech II
    Training

SackMech I
    Trailer | Mission 0 | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7

Yeah, probably. This one is still pretty buggy. I could make it work nearly perfectly if I put it on rails, but I want it to be emittable so that when/if I get around to making a proper level for it, I'll be able to give the player more than one life.

Anyway, when I talk about it being advanced, I'm referring to the various systems it uses to keep itself upright and whatnot: the tilt sensor/dark matter emitters, the invisible super-floaty and the emitted super-float that helps it get more lift during jumps, the traction assist dark matter emitters, the ground sensor (just a mag key emitter that gets blocked by the ground), motion sensor, and especially the control pod. The driver's control pod is the most advanced sack interface in lbp: it's basically a condensed version of Rtm's wheeley good switch but with a more constrained area for Sackboy to run in, a jump switch, and a tap/double tap/hold grab switch. It's the closest you can get to a dcs in lbp1 (only thing it's missing is the circle button function, but I didn't want to add a jetpack to it).

11. Thanks!

the right leg and nose gun broke on me! i could have died in that thing!! Law suit! LAW SUIT!!!

other then that it was cool. jumping up that last hill was a pain though.

13. Thanks!

Level completed: 66%, Points required for next Level: 340
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    PSN
    KernelM
    Blog Entries

That looks... Well AWESOME!!

I will give it a try ASAP!

15. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by OutcastZeroOne View Post
    the right leg and nose gun broke on me! other then that it was cool. jumping up that last hill was a pain though.
    Yeah, the breaking is still a problem. Did the foot break as well, or was it still able to walk? I'm not sure what to do about the gun breaking: it needs to stick out the front so that it can pivot, but that makes it extremely vulnerable to breaking if it hits the ground or a wall. As for the last hill, it's not too tough as long as you take off from a standstill right at the base of the hill (I haven't missed the jump once.... but then I'm the guy that built it ) Really, all jumps are best made from a standstill (which sucks, 'cuz the whole point has been to try to make the mech a playable character rather than a clunky vehicle that you have to baby--guess I'll have to wait for lbp2 for that).

Dang im not online now, but for in flights stability, you could adjust the tilt sensor so that if it tilted to far in either direction you would turn on a o.1 emmiter with 0.1 lifetime, then you can emmit a peice of dark matter in a hole in the mech near the top to freeze you in mid air so you straiten out. i added something like this when i made my helicopter. i wanted to re-create the "hover" idea, just more lbp ish. its very stable, and if you emmited it into a hollow circle attached to th mech with a bolt, then you would swing in the air in tell you straitend out.

Thanks, but it moves too fast in the air for me to want to emit dark matter at it. I use dark matter emitters on the ground, though... lots of them: I think there's six dm emitters all together.

no thats not what i mean i used it in mid air, ittl stop you and then straiten you out and the moment you straiten out you will start flying. also if you make the circle with metal or steel with a tight bolt it will not effect the rest of the mech.

Right, but I don't want to have the mech stop in its tracks in mid-air.

In other news, I fixed the chin gun so that it's much less fragile. I tried to break it a few times and I couldn't (doesn't mean it's unbreakable, just that it's quite a bit tougher).

um did you include the test where you ram it into the wall, cause if you do the item will sometimes just randomly dissolve, its the biggest prob with the thing.

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 ... LastLast