Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Level completed: 11%, Points required for next Level: 1,157
    Overall activity: 0%

PSN
    CogSpartan
    Blog Entries

Default Sycophant (With Pictures + Video) *SPOTLIGHTED!*

Sycophant by CogSpartan
    You awake in a crashed drop-pod with no memory of how you arrived there. A feeling of deja vu takes you into a nearby facility that has long been abandoned. What secrets does this place hold? (One player only!)

After all the information on LBP2, I decided to not make any more levels until it was released. But of course, I couldn't resist returning to make one last LBP level.

This level incorporates all my favourite things in an LBP level;
    • Cardboard visuals (Don't let this fool you, the visuals are very unique, and I hope they impress )
    • Stickers! (Not enough to make it cartoony though!)
    • A good story (This levels story slowly unfolds and may have you going back multiple times to fill it all in.)
    • Simpleness (Though there are some logic heavy spots.)

Theres a lot of platforming to be had, and several puzzles that may take a bit to complete. Lots of text bubbles, but not enough to slow down the gameplay, and an ending that may be shocking for you.

As for the length of the level; played by me, (Someone whos played it too many times to count.) takes 15 minutes to complete. So I'm guessing it'll be between 15-20 minutes for a normal player to complete.

(Major props to anyone who finds the secret Cogcave ;D )

Spoiler Spoiler - Pictures

Spoiler Spoiler - Video

Spoiler Spoiler - The Story Explained (Beat the level before you read this!)

As you should've seen in the title and description, this is a one player level. You CAN play with more though (As I've played with 3 people once) but it is best when you play it with one player. (Any Mutliple player related glitches will be ignored.)

HUGE thanks to goldenclaw13, as he came in and helped with a ton of the logic (Which loves him so) and with some of the visuals.

Enjoy, feedback is welcomed!
    Last edited by Cog; 07-25-2010 at 03:24 AM.

Level completed: 16%, Points required for next Level: 677
    7 days registered 1000 Experience Points 500 Experience Points 250 Experience Points 100 Experience Points
    PSN
    pickled-punk

Wow, this is a really great level.
    I absolutely loved the visual style. The cardboard works great here. The odd-angled blocks of sckyscraper-sketch material applied to a space-ship, creates something completely unique. The combination with the other materials (black-white striped grabbable, and the boxes-material from Marvel DLC.) I also really like how the terrain keeps changing, a you reach diferent parts of the colony.
    Only aspect I didn't like were the green sprouting leaves. Off course I understand the foreshadowing to the conclusion of your story, and it contrasts perfectly with the reds of Talon, still I felt it was less spot on then the rest of your design.

Your music was perfect. Liked how you changed the tracks. Eerie at the beginning, more dramatic Spaghetti-western style near the climax.

Gameplay is good. I really like the platforming, mixed with some not to hard puzzles.

The story is ambitious and works fine: some original and moving stuff here. (Fingers crossed for a sequel...?)

One small glitch: on the first puzzle, when swinging along the ceiling, you can get layer-changed to the back row, near the high tower with the button.

Great level. Five stars and hearted.

F4F, it would be great if you could take a look at one of my latest levels: Drones of Genius Loci, or Kurtz and the Dead City of Fabul.

3. Thanks!

Kog

This is an amazing level! I don't know where to start! I guess from the beginning. Well As soon as I saw the planet that this level was set on I was blown away. There was great monkey climbing that fit in perfectly with the scenery! When I entered the complex I was faced with fun puzzles. The first puzzle where you had to move the sponge to get atop different areas was really interesting and entertaining. The second puzzle with the hawk pictures was frustrating. My least favorite puzzle area was underwater. I think it was number 4,The one where you had to make stairs with the blocks by moving them and lowering the water. I'm sorry but I hate that with a passion. It took my about 20 tries to get the dumb block to stay under the other one without tipping. From then on I loved every bit of this level. From the giant vines growing out of the planet to the giant living energy source! If any one is on the fence about playing this level take my advise and go turn on your Ps3 right now because you will love this level! I predict that if this is seen by enough people you will be in the next community spotlight! Great job! What a great way to finish off LBP 1!

5. Thanks!

Kog

Sounds cool! will give it a try!
    oh, and lol @ the spoilers!

7. Thanks!

Kog

Going to give this a spin as soon as i come home. thx for sharing
    My latest level : Chemical Mayham!

9. Thanks!

Kog

PSN
    CogSpartan
    Blog Entries

Oh my, thank you all for the kind words

@pickled-punk I know about that layer change you talk about. You can actually get off it by swinging back to the left and you can grab the roof again, but I know how it is a bit annoying, so I'll change it's material.

EDIT: I changed the material so it isn't grabbable, so that should be ok now.

I've also added pictures, so check em out! (Video is uploading right now, should be up in an hour or two.)
    Last edited by Cog; 07-20-2010 at 07:33 PM.
    My newest level: Sycophant (1Player)
    Check out my Youtube videos, and subscribe if you like them!

{Cog}

Tsk tsk Cog, I see some grammar errors in your first post. Save it for THE ULTIMATE DESTINY OF SACKBOY WHO IS PROTAGONIST next time

To anyone who is still thinking about playing the level, If you're into some nice platform or puzzle game-play and loves a good plot like myself, this is a great level and definitely worth a play or two.

Also, if you decide to play race mode you'll end up with a few neat prizes as well

{Cave}

I haven't been on for a long time, but now I'm back :]

12. Thanks!

Kog

Cog looks great! i will have to give it a try soon

14. Thanks!

Kog

I love hanging from something and swinging like this I'll try this level out.

16. Thanks!

Kog

I really want to finish this, it was really cool, but puzzle number 4 maddened me. The blocks and the water. I knew what I had to do but the blocks just wouldnt stay. I gave up. I may try again later, especially if you could make some adjustments. say, winches to make them snap in place? or something.. i see someone else had trouble at that section too. i would love to finish the level at some point, i dont want to spoil it by watching the video.

5 stars and a heart anyways.

18. Thanks!

Kog

Quote Originally Posted by monstahr View Post
    I really want to finish this, it was really cool, but puzzle number 4 maddened me. The blocks and the water. I knew what I had to do but the blocks just wouldnt stay. I gave up. I may try again later, especially if you could make some adjustments. say, winches to make them snap in place? or something.. i see someone else had trouble at that section too. i would love to finish the level at some point, i dont want to spoil it by watching the video.

Yeah, I found that one hard too, even with two or three people >.< While the water is up, try making an upside-down pyramid. If you're lucky, a block will fall in the right place to let you get up. Maybe I'll get Cog to make it easier...

I haven't been on for a long time, but now I'm back :]

20. Thanks!

Still trembling... talbot-trembler's Avatar
    Level completed: 17%, Points required for next Level: 587

PSN
    talbottrembler

I'll put this on the list for the next time I'm on!

Are you trembling?

PSN
    CogSpartan
    Blog Entries

@monstahr Ok, I've fixed that so the boxes won't topple when you try to stack them, though the puzzle is very easy now :P I guess it's better than really hard.

23. Thanks!

Wow this level looks amazing after watching the first two minutes of the first video, I don't want to see all the secrets but anyway, I'll give it a try and tell you what I think.

wow amazing lv i cant rely say anything more because the people who posted above me used all the adjectives! lol

F4F: please try out my lv: the attack of the dragons(pt1)
    TRY OUT MY LEVELS: THE ATTACK OF THE DRAGONS PT 1 AND MASTER DARKS EVIL SCHEEM:ARTIC ANTICS.
    PLEESE CHECK THEM OUT!

Hey, I played the level and I love the ship and the hawk but unfortunately I couldn't even pass the second puzzle. Oh well, either I'm dumb or this is a very challenging yert fun mind bending puzzle, overall I think it's all of the above. Also, when playing the second puzzle at first, I felt like there wasn't a lot of room for the blocks, but I did get used to it and put tall the blocks together but maybe you might wanna add a little more room and if you can't that's fine. Anyway, great level and I gave it and a

If you could give some feedback on my level Platformia, that'd be awesome. The link to the thread's located in my sig.

27. Thanks!

Kog

Level completed: 18%, Points required for next Level: 904
    7 days registered 5000 Experience Points 1000 Experience Points 500 Experience Points 250 Experience Points
    PSN
    piggabling
    Blog Entries

Wonderful use of Marvel materials!

Went to play, but I forgot your PSN!
    Playing tonight!
    Last edited by piggabling; 07-22-2010 at 10:14 PM.

29. Thanks!

PSN
    CogSpartan
    Blog Entries

For anyone confused about the story, (AFTER completing the level.) I've added the back story to the main post, so read it if you want.

Level completed: 53%, Points required for next Level: 423
    100 Experience Points 250 Experience Points Created Album pictures 7 days registered 500 Experience Points
    PSN
    Lockstitch
    Blog Entries

Ok, now this is why I love LBP. I was just about to get bored with the same ole level scenario when I load up your level and have it blow my mind. I'd say this is most definitely the freshest level I've played in recent weeks. I too love the cardboard materials in LBP but could never figure out a way to use them extensively while still creating a great looking level. However your level is proof that it can be done. While I liked the story, and the gameplay was smooth and used three planes very well, it was ultimately the graphical style that hooked me here. Don't get me wrong for I enjoyed the puzzles and platforming as well, however. If I could make one suggestion it would be that the piece together hawk puzzle was too tedious and slowed gameplay. Everything else has a nice pace but that one took so long to do something initially obvious. So, all in all: excellent level with amazing visuals to take it over the top. 5/5 Heart.

Please try my level "A Realm Forgotten" if you get the time and comment on my thread, Thanks!

32. Thanks!

Kog

PSN
    CogSpartan
    Blog Entries

@Lockstitch Thank you very much, that made me feel good about the level :P

I'll try to do your levels feedback as soon as I can.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast