The Distant Crystal by Bmoney2310
A distant crystal has fallen from the outer reaches of space and has landed upon planet earth. With its presence on the planet the earth has a whole new destiny to fulfill. The earth has become protector of the crystal. But the question is, from what...
The prologue and part one currently out. Trilogy to be finished a later date. Enjoy!
A few more pics to intrigue those on the fence.
Results 1 to 11 of 11
Thread: The Distant Crystal
The Distant Crystal
- Join Date
- Jul 2010
- Blog Entries
Looks cool! I'll play this tomorrow as soon as I can.
08-20-2010 #3The Goods
+ Interesting story
+ nice, non-linear and natural platforming
+ beautiful lighting
+ The black stone pillars looked very well.
+ Good use of the marvel pack stickers on the intro level.
+ Cleverly hidden point cache areas
- You have some very strong cameras in your level. This level would benefit more from looser camera strength.
- The collapsing rock in the beginning seems like a cheap kill. Theres no warning that it will fall.
- In one area theres a led light inside some dark matter showing.
- Some of the gas levels are high. I kept getting killed thinking a platform would catch me but the gas would hit me.
- At times it was hard to tell where to go next.
- The level badges were bland considering how detailed the levels were.
The level was pretty good but it would be way better if you fix those issues. I gave it 4 stars. Keep up the good work! Your time and effort shows you put your all into this. Ill play this again if you make any changes . Ill also be looking forward to your series. You should participate in the F4F program. Its a nice way to get feedback and plays as long as you fulfill your duty and give feedback back. You should also check out Aya's Garden of Goodies for some extra creation tools and also check out comphermc's Font Central for some nice looking letters.
Last edited by L1GhTmArE; 08-20-2010 at 04:23 AM. Reason: suggesting f4f program
Thanks L1GhTmArE, helpful feedback. I made a late night fix. I improved upon the things you said. I softened the camera angles and such and runs smoother and has a better feel. I lowered the gas more (You wouldn't have liked the first version of the gas, it was twice as high as that). I also alerted the rock at beginning. Thanks again. It'd be appreciated if you played through again. Better experience this time.
Good work! It ran pretty smooth this time around and the gas was not a problem this time. You still have some strong cameras in there but they werent jerking as much. you got a heart from me this time
- Join Date
- Jul 2010
- Blog Entries
I thought this was great! Here are my thoughts:
- Beautiful Scenery
- Nice Design
- Good use of lights
- The pillars are very cool
- Idk why, but the end made me jump haha.
- The cameras are soooo violent with my screen... Meaning, I feel like my sight is being jerked around as I walk through your level. (From previous posts, I see you worked on it, but it was still a little harsh for me.)
- I was unclear on where to go on a couple of parts.
- I thought I was supposed to jump down in that hole in the beginning, but it was just death by gas.
Overall: Great level. Beautiful Scenery. (Prologue was cool.) and
I softened the cameras again. Much smoother and very few "jerky" parts. Thanks for the help in polishing it guys.
- Join Date
- Feb 2010
Good job man. I know how much time and work you put into this, and it greatly shows. Looking back at the first couple of versions of this level, I strongly believe you made the right choice in making it a trilogy and moving certain parts around. The story could be a little better in my opinion, but then again, its just nice to have a pretty solid story anyway. The prologue sticker work looks top notch. You really have out done yourself here. Congrats man, here's to the rest of the trilogy surpassing this solid level.
Thanks it was a lot of work. thanks for your comments while i created
Upon first entering the level, you are greeted by a pleasant colour scheme and interesting use of levels and lights. A combination of this nice opening and prologue is very effective.
- The artistic aspect of the level.
- The non-linear, multipath aspect of the level.
- You used traps well in unsuspecting locations - nice.
- Once again - the lights. Some people may call me obseced with light usage in levels, but what the hey!
- The lack of ease when climbing some platforms.
- Not much else, brush up on ease and you've got a five star level in the works!
I think you've done a really good job of this level. The ending was very interesting indeed, and left me eager for more!
LEVEL HEARTED: No, sorry it takes a lot.
AUTHOR HEARTED: It certainly left me wanting to see more of your work! Until that sequel comes out, that's a no.
A great level, keep it up!
@nick9001 u want to see part 2 its ready to be pubbed soon in like a week? I'm pretty sure you will like part 2 more atmospheric feel to it