BG1, PRELOAD BG2, PRELOAD

Page 1 of 26 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Default Red Cork Hat Reviews

Last edited by DarkDedede; 08-11-2013 at 06:19 AM.

Recent Reviews:

Bot n’ Tot by mr_krispy_kreme

Review Archive: 123
    Last edited by DarkDedede; 07-04-2013 at 03:48 AM.

Last edited by DarkDedede; 02-22-2012 at 10:53 PM.

Thumbs up

Oooo! I get to be your first level to review! How exciting!

PSN: Rasumii
    PS3: Journey of a Thousand Inches

Thanks in advance!

can you review my serie sacks in arms? psn aagobert thx

Would love a review for my level.

Name: Onion Gale
    PSN: NiKfY

It is a jumping challenge level. It is subdivided into eight stages, each one harder than the previous one. Try to get as far as you can.

I would love if you reviewed this:

Level Name: Draconia Cave
    PSN: ShamgarBlade

I'm thinking about making a sequel to this level, so I could use any advice or tips you could give for my improvement. Thanks.

Sackperson Sergeant
    Level completed: 54%, Points required for next Level: 465
    Overall activity: 11.0%
    7 days registered 5000 Experience Points 1000 Experience Points 500 Experience Points 250 Experience Points
    PSN
    Syroc
    Blog Entries

Would you like to review:

Cave Story
    PSN: Syroc

?

Journey of a Thousand Inches by Rasumii

Let it snow.

CATEGORY: Story
    DIFFICULTY: Easy with Cheap Deaths

PRIZES:
    [spoiler]In-Level: 5/8
    Level Completed Gifts: N/A
    Collected All Gifts: N/A
    Aced Level Gifts: N/A

Prizes Worth Mentioning: N/A

Prizes Requested: N/A [/spoiler]

Summary:

This is an interesting level. At first I thought things were going to be interesting once I came across a set of masks that started watching me. Unfortunately, multiple frustrating and cheap deaths really killed the mood. If the designer intended to frustrate the player to the point where they don't want to finish, then I suppose that goal was accomplished. It's really not a bad attempt at a design, I just feel that the execution could be improved.

Strengths:

• Interesting title.
    • Hidden stuff promote exploration.
    • Three different zones.

Weaknesses:

• Level lacks a specific purpose.
    • Obstacles may be too difficult/frustrating for most.
    • Cheap deaths inconvenience the player.
    • Unavoidable cheap death in the beginning.
    • Presentation seem less interesting as level progresses.

Nitpicks:

• Not a fan of grabbable ceilings.
    • Not a fan of being forced to do the same obstacle twice.
    • Not a fan of having to do something over, because of a cheap death.
    • Not a fan of grabbable floors.

Boss monster.

Ratings:

Originality: 3/5 ★★★

Gameplay/Implementation: 1/5 ★

Level Design/Communication: 1/5 ★

Scenery/Presentation: 2/5 ★★

Ratings Explanation & Tips

OVERALL SCORE: 2/5 ★★ The concept has a pulse, I just feel the execution could use more polish.

[Level not hearted/Author not hearted]

Suggestions

• Name your prizes. It makes for a much better presentation.
    • The level needs more personality. I was really wasn't expecting the masks to start looking at me. Made me want to see what else was in your level. Too bad there wasn't too much past that, besides the snowman. The level needs more interesting things to look at to keep the player visually engaged, especially if you expect them to endure all of those sneaky cheap deaths.
    • The level needs some sort of story to it. Why should people want to go past the first cheap death, and not quit? You have characters in that I want to know more about, but they play such a small role in the level. It doesn't need to be anything spectacular. I would just like to know if there is a reason why we are taking this journey.
    • I would either scrap the minigame, or incorporate it into the level somehow. The concept also needs some more development.
    • Give the boss some moving parts. I don't know if it was meant to be as easy as it was, but it would look more interesting if perhaps the vines were moving.
    • Be a bit more creative with your obstacles. Some were either too cheap or too repetitive. If you're not going to be forgiving with the cheap deaths, at least be somewhat forgiving with the checkpoint. I wasn't too thrilled to get past a frustrating obstacle, to then get killed by something sneaky, only to be warped all the way back to where I had to do the obstacle again.
    • I'd suggest decorating the gas that you use for death warps to look like doors. There's no guarantee that players are going to know that they are going to have to walk into a wall of lethal gas. Perhaps you could post an exit sign on it as well.

You can thank these guys for giving the level a pulse.
    Last edited by DarkDedede; 12-16-2010 at 05:51 PM.

That's one nice review format there. Looking forward to your review of my level.

Although I should warn you: my level has a fair amount of ceiling-grabbing.

11. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by DarkDedede View Post
    Journey of a Thousand Inches by Rasumii

Caption

Review in progress... Not finished.
    [spoiler]

CATEGORY: Story
    DIFFICULTY: Cheap Deaths

PRIZES:
    [spoiler]In-Level: 5/8
    Level Completed Gifts: N/A

Prizes Worth Mentioning: N/A

Prizes Requested: N/A [/spoiler]

Summary:

This is an interesting level. At first I thought things were going to be interesting once I came across a set of masks that started watching me. Unfortunately, multiple frustrating and cheap deaths really killed the mood. If the designer intended to frustrate the player to the point where they don't want to finish, then I suppose that goal was accomplished. It's really not a bad attempt at a design, I just feel that the execution could be improved.

Strengths:

• Interesting title.
    • Hidden stuff promote exploration.
    • Three different zones.

Weaknesses:

• Level lacks a specific purpose.
    • Obstacles may be too difficult/frustrating for most.
    • Cheap deaths inconvenience the player.
    • Unavoidable cheap death in the beginning.
    • Presentation seem less interesting as level progresses.

Nitpicks:

• Not a fan of grabbable ceilings.
    • Not a fan of being forced to do the same obstacle twice.
    • Not a fan of having to do something over, because of a cheap death.
    • Not a fan of grabbable floors.

Caption

Ratings:

Originality: 3/5 ★★★

OVERALL SCORE: 2/5 ★★ comment here

Suggestions

• N/A

You can thank these guys for giving the level a pulse
    [/spoiler]
    Ehh, it was a go at my first real level that I had put work into. Btw the part i put in bold, its avoidable, but a bit tricky (b'.')b What is your PSN?

Quote Originally Posted by Rasumii View Post
    Ehh, it was a go at my first real level that I had put work into. Btw the part i put in bold, its avoidable, but a bit tricky (b'.')b What is your PSN?
    That may be the case, but that's no excuse not to want to make improvements. A two star rating isn't a bad rating (to me, at least). It basically means the concept has a pulse, but the design needs more thought and polish put into it.

By the way, I finished the rest of the review. I hope that you find the suggestions constructive.

14. Thanks!

Sack in Arms Series by aagobert
    Spoiler Spoiler - Click for level list

CATEGORY: Story Level Series
    DIFFICULTY: Easy

PRIZES:
    [spoiler]

Nothing to see here folks
    [/spoiler]

Summary:

This level series is composed of two levels: Boot-camp and Tank Mission. The levels are very simple in their construction.

Now I wouldn't say that this level series isn't good. However, I would just say that the design needs to and should improve. It suffers from many design flaws, and is broken in certain key areas. Many of which, if executed differently, could be much more successful.

For example, after I got to the end of the first level, I ended up being squished by something. I noticed that there were no checkpoints, except for at the beginning. Unfortunately, the player needs to use a vehicle to reach the end scoreboard. Well, the vehicle isn't set to respawn in its initial position. Now, had the vehicle respawned, or a checkpoint been placed on the vehicle, the designer would not run the risk of inconveniencing the player.

This could easily have been avoided.

Strengths:

• Story supported the overall experience (still could use some improvement).

Weaknesses:

• Lackluster visuals.
    • Default light blue background
    • Spelling errors, grammar errors, and net speak abbreviations.
    • Bribing for more plays/hearts.
    • Lack of checkpoints.
    • Vehicles are difficult to operate, and do not respawn to initial position.

Nitpicks:

• Grabbable floors.
    • Sackboy cutouts for characters.

SackNun is not pleased.

Ratings:

Originality: 2/5 ★★

Scenery/Presentation: 1/5 ★

OVERALL SCORE: 1/5 ★ Don't be discouraged. Just keep fighting the good fight

Suggestions

• Keep looking for ways to improve. No one is expecting mastery on the first attempt
    • Try to design original characters for your levels. Sackboy cutouts with a magic mouth just don't cut it for me. I would much prefer some effort going into the character design of the level.
    • It is a good idea to have any vehicles respawn at their initial position. That way the player doesn't have to restart the level from the beginning, if the want to get to the end. Odds are they would just quit and go elsewhere.
    • You might want to consider adding additional checkpoints throughout the level, especially on top of the vehicle on the first level.. The player shouldn't have to start all the way to the beginning, if they get squished somewhere near the end.
    • Try to avoid spelling errors, grammar errors, or text speak abbreviations. It makes for a much better presentation. Try to get other players to proofread your text, if need be.
    • Don't use the "If I get X number of plays/hearts, I'll do XYZ." It's really tacky. Just do XYZ anyways, and you'll get more plays/hearts/
    • Get people to playtest your level, and give you feedback on what they liked and didn't like. Always look for ways to improve. Remember, if no one is enjoying your level, then it's your job to make sure that changes are made so they enjoy it more.
    • Try not to display too many lines of text at one time. Having six-plus lines of text affects readability. I would suggest trying to keep text to a maximum of three lines. Most players won't want to read three lines, much less six or more. You could always break the text up with more than one magic mouth.
    • If you are going to use multiple magic mouths try to connect them to one sensor. That way the player can easily read the text in the order that it was intended.

Need I say more?
    Last edited by DarkDedede; 12-16-2010 at 06:16 PM.

Level completed: 59%, Points required for next Level: 248
    Overall activity: 0%
    7 days registered 1000 Experience Points 500 Experience Points 250 Experience Points 100 Experience Points
    PSN
    NivekKom
    Blog Entries

Great reviews, there are filled with constructive criticism, just hope the creators see it that way.

"There is a place you can touch a woman that will drive her crazy. Her heart."

17. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by figuer39 View Post
    That's one nice review format there. Looking forward to your review of my level.

Although I should warn you: my level has a fair amount of ceiling-grabbing.
    Thanks. It's an upgraded version of what I used for the LittleBigReviewers thread at the workshop. I implemented certain elements from the LittleBigLand review format, since I applied to be a reviewer for the site. Unfortunately, since my format deviated from the way they write their reviews, my application was not accepted. It was somewhat discouraging, since I spent more than a couple hours working on the BB code for the review template. I wasn't going to let all that work go to waste, so I decided to set up shop here. I suppose their lose is your gain.

Now, about grabbable ceiling. When I think about design, it's more about the execution of the elements, as opposed to the elements being executed. It's not that I am against the implementation of such an obstacle. I'm just not a fan of certain implementations. For example, when the grabbable ceiling is extremely long, and over an electric hazard. Too much "wash-rinse-repeat," and a higher chance of hearing that annoying electrocution sound effect.

19. Thanks!

Onion Gale by NikfY

So much better than sackboy shape cutouts.

CATEGORY: Obstacle Course
    DIFFICULTY: Medium - Hard

PRIZES:
    [spoiler]In-Level: 8/8
    Level Completed Gifts: 3/3

Prizes Worth Mentioning: Prizes collected in-level are “emblems” used for warping straight to specific points in the level.

Prizes Requested: If you’re anything like me, you’re probably extremely protective of your characters, so I won’t ask. That still does not mean that I don’t want them.

An Emblem
    [/spoiler]

Summary:
    [spoiler]
    Welcome to Tartarus, folks (Persona 3 reference). This level is composed of 8 halls, each one more difficult that the one that followed it. Each hall is named after a certain mythical creature (Troll, Banshee, etc). The best part is that each creature is actually designed by the level designer. I’m such a sucker for originally designed characters.

From the concept, to the design, this level is truly inspiring. I could tell that there was a lot of thought put into the gameplay and flow of the level. Even though each hall is designed a certain reoccurring element and hazards, there is a good variety to the implementation, so that there is just enough repetition to support the flow of the level. Only in a few places do things become slightly monotonous, but not as badly as some of the offenders that I have come across.

The level advertises that the level has “no story and no flashyness.” The creator claims to be going for a minimalist design. Now, story is not necessarily needed to make a level successful, but even a design that is minimal should still be visually engaging. There should be some sort of additional incentive to get the player to want to get to the next stage in the level, especially since there aren’t any real prizes offered (even though I’m personally keeping all of the emblems). Not everyone is going to keep going just to get to the next challenge. A few minor tweaks could make each level so much more visually appealing.

I personally didn’t find any of the halls too difficult. A couple of the halls were more tedious than they were difficult. This could be easily remedied by a few design tweaks, and some additional direction. I had an unpleasant experience with the Minotaur, which I will explain later in Suggestions section. Of course, this level is not for everyone. However, I do feel that players that are familiar with the controls and physics of this game shouldn’t have too much trouble navigating through each hall.

The most ironic thing about this level is the fact that it has an entire hall dedicated to grabbable ceilings, and I really didn’t mind it. The implementation was well thought out. I actually was forced to learn a way to swing faster. Now that’s not to say that the design couldn’t be improved. There was one particular section that I thought was a bit too long, especially since my hand started to cramp while trying to get past it. I’ll touch on that subject further in the review.

There are many features in the level to accommodate the player. Specifically, the warp room, which lets the player warp to any hall that they collected an emblem for. Another nice feature would be the scoreboard placed at the end of each hall. That way, the player can choose to leave the level, and resume come back to the level when they wish to continue.

I really did enjoy the level. It has it’s flaws, but I’d have to say that it is one of the most successfully designed levels that I have reviewed, so far. I do hope the designer plans on improving this level, when they get the opportunity to. It really deserves all the love and attention that it can get.[/spoiler]

Strengths:

• Original challenging design.
    • Originally designed characters
    • Good variety of obstacles
    • Good use of reoccurring elements, with just enough repetition to support flow.
    • Infinite checkpoints add a nice layer of forgiveness.
    • Scoreboard at the end of every hall
    • Warp Room
    • All the stage prizes were named

Weaknesses:

• Difficulty may be a turnoff for some
    • Good familiarity of LBP controls and physics required.
    • Dependent on text based direction.
    • Weak visual presentation.

Nitpicks:

• Cut-scene camera at the entrance of the warp zone is unnecessary and annoying.
    • Troll warp point really is pointless.
    • The Stage Complete prizes were a bit underwhelming

Hall of the Banshee

Ratings:
    Here’s how I rank each hall individually. There are a few "flies in the ointment" that really should be dealt with.
    [spoiler]
    The Good: ★★★★

The Good Enough: ★★★

The Tedious (Needs Work): ★★

[/spoiler]
    Originality: 4/5 ★★★★

Gameplay/Implementation: 4/5 ★★★★

Level Design/Communication: 3/5 ★★★

OVERALL SCORE: 3/5 ★★★♥
    I wasn’t too comfortable giving it four stars, so I give it three and a biased heart.

[Level hearted/Author hearted]

Suggestions

• Suggestions pending.

Gotta catch'em all!
    Last edited by DarkDedede; 12-16-2010 at 06:19 PM.

thx for the review but i would like to say that you made mistakes in some parts of the review, first you say that on the armed truck in sacs in arms tank mission there is a spawn point but to make the car look brtter i used a mini spawn point that you prabbolly missed. second you make it look like nothing in my lvl is good, while there sure are things like the truck wich is well made. exept for that i have to say its a good review and i am working on inprovements like better sackboys for in the lvl, i already changed the backgrounds( the desert for the tank mission and the gardens for boot camp) so thx again for the review, but i have another question, can you review my lvl percy sackboy the love thief, as i believe its better made. grtz aagobert

It'd be awesome to have a review for my level

Level: Beyond The Gray Sunset: Prelude
    Publisher: TheCloudyWolf13

Description:
    My level is the start of a new series that I hope to launch

What Lies Beyond The Sunset? Adventure? Greed? Society? Delve into this series to embark on a journey that will satisfy even the most adventurous thrill seeker. Thank You in advance for playing this level, which was made with help from TheRougeAssassin. Check out our levels and leave us some feedback, heart us so that we can continue on future projects and don't forget to tell us what you'd like to see in future levels!

Note: This level is just a prelude to the series and was mainly a focus on visuals and explaining an intro of what TheRougeAssassin and I hope will become a major working series. It was just a teaser of what we are capable of and not of how much we wanted to test the audience of LBP. The level may seem easy but please keep in mind that it's meant as an introduction into a new world full of wonders and the unknown (as cliche as it sounds lol). All in all,TheRougeAssassin and I, simply hope you enjoy the level!
    Last edited by TheCloudyWolf13; 08-31-2010 at 04:44 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by aagobert View Post
    thx for the review but i would like to say that you made mistakes in some parts of the review, first you say that on the armed truck in sacs in arms tank mission there is a spawn point but to make the car look brtter i used a mini spawn point that you prabbolly missed.
    Even if I did miss the checkpoint, it still doesn't excuse the fact that I had to start all the way back to the start. Perhaps you should have the checkpoint activate once the player enters the truck. That way it would be less of a chance of the player missing the checkpoint. There was also no way to to get back on top of the truck, unless I missed that too.

Thanks a lot for the review, dude! Your analysis of my review is shaping up awesomely. Too bad they didn't pick you for that LittleBigLand; you're just one of the really few reviewers I've read who puts genuine interest and thought into the levels they review.

As for your question, even if I wanted to modify my level, I couldn't do it. You see, you're reviewing a dead author's level. My PS3 has the YLOD.
    So yeah, even if I wanted to modify some things in my level (and I do), the data for my level is forever locked online. So don't bother making a long laundry list of the punctual things that could be improved; just review the level as it is right now.
    Last edited by figuer39; 08-31-2010 at 07:13 PM.

Page 1 of 26 1 2 3 ... LastLast