BG1, PRELOAD BG2, PRELOAD

Page 2 of 27 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Since you put it that way, I'll have not problems finishing the review. However, I'm still going to reserve the right to give it an official rating until after you have the opportunity to make improvements. It's really not fair to rate it as is, when a few tweaks could make it so much better. I'll have the review up soon.

Oh, don't worry, just rate the level as it is. I'll probably NEVER modify the level again anyways (no money for another PS3 ).

So yeah, just give it the rating that you feel it deserves right now.
    Last edited by figuer39; 08-31-2010 at 10:27 PM.

Can you review my Basic Platformer series?

PSN: UltimateClay
    Level Titles: Basic Platformer: The Movie: The Game, Basic Platformer 2

Professional Day Dreamer CYMBOL's Avatar
    Level completed: 74%, Points required for next Level: 187
    Overall activity: 3.0%

PSN
    CYMBOL

Hmmm, not sure if you're still doing these - but I am going to release a sequel to:

The Dream Catcher - by CYMBOL

The next one will be "The Dream Catcher II - Shadow Realm". I'd be interested in any critiques on the first one, so I can see if I made any (same) mistakes in the sequel as well.

Thank you for your time - I know these things take a while to produce.
    My first LBP2 Level - "Jumper"! Woohoo! http://lbp.me/v/ygrw7d

First half of Jumper: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MN-o_aXG56s (Thanks to Memodrix)

YouTube video review of, "The Explorers". http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cGttrlQG43Q

Ok. I am pretty much finished the Onion Gale review. Since the creator said it wasn't really necessary, I'll finish the suggestion section of the review later.

Anyways, I've updated the request list. Hopefully I'll have a couple more up soon.

By the way, yes I am still reviewing.

6. Thanks!

Thanks once again for the review, man. It is quality stuff.
    Also thank you for all the compliments, I am glad to hear that you had fun with the level.
    By the way, don't bother with a suggestion section for my level's review. Like I told you, I will NEVER, ever edit it again, so don't waste your time.

I'm glad to hear that you didn't mind the Hall of the Gryphon. I've read your other reviews and I got to know your dislike for grabbable ceilings. xD (by the way, the SackNun is hilarious. It's very original to have a resident character for your reviews)
    Also, I think I know EXACTLY which is the part of the Hall of the Gryphon that you say was kinda annoying. xD

Also, you say you would like to have my characters? :O
    Why is that? You don't sound like you're the kind of guy who would use another author's characters on your level. xD
    If you're interested in checking out how I constructed them, just warp to one of them and remove all the stickers. :P Or just ask me.
    Last edited by figuer39; 09-03-2010 at 10:59 AM.

It's not really about the elements, but rather the execution of those elements. I'm not against implementing another person's object or character into my level as a type of cameo or easter egg. I have an interest in character design, and I always enjoy it when a designer puts originally designed characters into their levels. You probably have seen in my reviews when I comment on the sackboy cutouts or when designers use the MM premade characters.
    Last edited by DarkDedede; 09-03-2010 at 02:49 PM.

9. Thanks!

I see, I see.
    Wow, I hadn't pictured any of my characters making a cameo in another level. xD Which of my characters do you see fit for a cameo?
    Also, just curious, which was your favourite of the level's characters?

Yeah, I saw you complaining about sackboy cutouts in some of your reviews. xD That's one thing I knew that you were gonna like about my level: the characters.

PSN
    CYMBOL

Quote Originally Posted by DarkDedede View Post
    It's not really about the elements, but rather the execution of those elements. I'm not against implementing another person's object or character into my level as a type of cameo or easter egg. I have an interest in character design, and I always enjoy it when a designer puts originally designed characters into their levels. You probably have seen in my reviews when I comment on the sackboy cutouts or when designers use the MM premade characters.
    I can't think of anyone's characters I've used - but I will use helpful tools. I use a "lightening maker" in my newest level that someone made. I could have made one - but there's is better than what I would have done and works great (even if it's only used for 30 seconds).

Definitely not against using someone's creations that they have given as a prize - but I tend to want my level to be completely original - that way, if someone compliments something - I don't have to point out that I didn't do it - which, kind of calls the whole level into question.

I see people who got help from other VERY skilled creators - obviously, nothing wrong with that - that is what the community is about - however; if I'm being honest, I always tend to wonder how much those folks helped them - would the level have been so cool without them.

As I said, to me, it becomes about perception. I used beta testers for level integrity - but I very rarely, if ever, use something from another creator and I've never let another creator help out - even those that are better than me.

Looking forward to some more quality reviews in this thread.

First half of Jumper: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MN-o_aXG56s (Thanks to Memodrix)

YouTube video review of, "The Explorers". http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cGttrlQG43Q

I really can't give you a straight answer on what I which I I would use. It would really depend on the situation. I try to make the reference or cameo somewhat subtle, so that it doesn't get in the way of the overall design. You just can't put anything anywhere, and expect it to fit. Of course a cameo doesn't necessarily have to be a character. Of course, if I were to use anyone's work in my level, I would first make the effort to ask permission first, or at least let them know that I am planning on using their creations.

As for which characters were my favorites, I'd say that I would rank them similar to how I did in the review. It really depended on how well each hall represented its character. Some were more successful than other. My favorite hall was the Gargoyle, by the way.

13. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by CYMBOL View Post
    Definitely not against using someone's creations that they have given as a prize - but I tend to want my level to be completely original - that way, if someone compliments something - I don't have to point out that I didn't do it - which, kind of calls the whole level into question.
    I agree. However, if I can use something else that someone else has made, and it fits really well into the level, I see no reason not to use it. "Why recreate the wheel," and such. Of course, it's really up to the creator where they want to focus their attention on. If I can successfully implement a premade piece into a level, it will save me a bit of time so I can focus on other things.

Characters are a bit of a special area though. I may not use the character itself, but I may use that character to inspire the design of something else. As I have said before, it's all about the situation and the implementation. There really are no hard rules, except the part where you should give credit where it is due.

15. Thanks!

PSN
    CYMBOL

Quote Originally Posted by DarkDedede View Post
    I agree. However, if I can use something else that someone else has made, and it fits really well into the level, I see no reason not to use it. "Why recreate the wheel," and such. Of course, it's really up to the creator where they want to focus their attention on. If I can successfully implement a premade piece into a level, it will save me a bit of time so I can focus on other things.

Characters are a bit of a special area though. I may not use the character itself, but I may use that character to inspire the design of something else. As I have said before, it's all about the situation and the implementation. There really are no hard rules, except the part where you should give credit where it is due.
    Well, if someone gave something in a prize and I use it - obviously, I wouldn't give a special thanks - but yes, if a creator helped design any part of my level (logic, architecture, character, etc.) I'd definitely put a special thanks in my description or at the end of the level.

Luckily, I have always been able to figure out what I needed and at the very least, made a functioning version of what I wanted. Although, I'm sure if I let some of my very skilled creator friends help out - some aspects of my levels may be better, haha. But that's ok. I know what my weak points are in creating - but hopefully, my strength (which I believe is my originality) comes through and makes up for the other areas.

I love when I go into a level and think to myself, "I haven't seen this before", or "How'd they do that?!". I love those moments in LBP.

Wow, I am surprised that you say that the Hall of the Gargoyle was your favourite. I always thought that that hall would result kinda boring. xD I actually improvised it as I went along (I had ran out of obstacle ideas).

Level completed: 54%, Points required for next Level: 416
    Overall activity: 0%
    Your First Group 7 days registered 100 Experience Points 250 Experience Points 30 days registered
    PSN
    artise1

i would love a review
    Only the dead remain 3 by artise1

Level completed: 53%, Points required for next Level: 188
    Overall activity: 0%
    7 days registered 100 Experience Points 30 days registered 250 Experience Points 500 Experience Points
    PSN
    invadercowy

I would like to have somthing to help make my level better. can you do a reveiw on invader cowy's torture the ragdoll minigame

Draconia Cave by ShamgarBlade

Puzzles

CATEGORY: Story
    DIFFICULTY: Easy

PRIZES:
    [spoiler]In-Level: 1/1
    Level Completed Gifts: N/A
    Collected All Gifts: N/A
    Aced Level Gifts: N/A

Prizes Worth Mentioning: N/A

Prizes Requested: N/A [/spoiler]

Summary:
    This is a very nice look level. Visuals is really where this level excels. The design is rather solid as well. There’s really not much to complain, about by looking at it.

However, the big problem that I have is that the gameplay experience is pretty uneventful. There really isn’t much of a story to drive the plot. You really don’t encounter your first baddy until near the end. All you pretty much have to do is navigate through the level, defeat some plant monsters, and that’s it. Pretty cut and dry. This level really needs a shot of personality to have me remember it past the point where I post this review.

Strengths:

• Strong visuals
    • Will appeal to a more casual audience

Weaknesses:

• Really not much to do, besides go from beginning to the end.
    • Nothing really to help drive plot.
    • Prize isn’t named

Nitpicks:

• Only one type of enemy, not including the boss.

Nameless plant baddy

Ratings:

Originality: 3/5 ★★★

Gameplay/Implementation: 3/5 ★★★

Level Design/Communication: 3/5 ★★★

Scenery/Presentation: 3/5 ★★★

Ratings Explanation & Tips

OVERALL SCORE: 3/5 ★★★

[Level not hearted/Author not hearted]

Suggestions

• Be sure to name your prize. You’re only giving out one in this level. It shouldn’t be that difficult.
    • Try to dream up something to give this level some personality. It’s very pretty, but that’s about it. There needs to be something to keep the player engaged all the way to the boss battle.
    • Having to fight different types of plant monsters would be nice. It would help give the level a bit more variety. Fighting the same one can get somewhat boring
    • The plants should play more of a role in the story. Perhaps even the plant monsters could have some sort of personality.

Oven
    Last edited by DarkDedede; 12-16-2010 at 06:28 PM.

Wow, thanks for the advice! I'm working on a sequel and I really want to make my next one excel far higher than this one. I'm gunna take some of this advice and apply it. Thanks again!
    Follow me on Twitter: @Cubixphere
    Visit my LBP.me Profile!
    My new level: Factory Shutdown [1P]
    Old levels: ShamgarBlade Levels

I don't get why " prize not named " counts as a weakness tbh ><

Alrighty, man. I'm game whenever you get around to it.

Invasion of the Sack Men From Space!

psn: SpeedyMcKnuckles
    Try out Invasion of the Sack Men From Space!
    http://www.lbpcentral.com/forums/sho...Men-From-Space

Enemy of the People Richasackboy's Avatar
    Level completed: 75%, Points required for next Level: 179
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    7 days registered 1000 Experience Points 500 Experience Points 250 Experience Points 100 Experience Points
    PSN
    Richasackboy

I'm ready for a hardcore and blunt review!

LEVEL NAME: LBL 4-in-1: Steelhead: Act 4: The Steel Dragon
    PSN: Richasackboy
    PRIZES: N/A
    LEVEL COMPLETE GIFT: Steelhead Jaw
    CATEGORY: Boss Fight
    No story included. Made especially for LBL's contest.
    Made in a week and a bit!

Page 2 of 27 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast