BG1, PRELOAD BG2, PRELOAD

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Hotwlngz

Arrow Defend the Castle! (Point'n'Click-Styled Survival)

F4F Status: Still Active, Just post the level you want feedbacked, and I'll give a really thorough review ingame. (Check out my reviews for other people if you want an example.)

Hey guys, I've just finished this (my first) little game I've been putting quite a bit of effort and time polishing, tweaking and fixing. It's really simple to play, but somewhat harder to master, giving it a good deal of challenge to those who like harder, more addictive levels. I'm planning on adding many more features to it over the next few days and would love to hear some pointers/suggestions from the community, if you all don't mind.

To play, you basically hover your cursor over an enemy, hold down X, drag them in the air and let go, sending them into a deadly free-fall into the ground with satisfying sound effects to accompany it.

Defend the Castle! is a great minigame for both casual and hardcore players alike. It's easy to pickup for beginners, but hard to master for those challenge seekers trying to post high scores. It even has variable Cursor Speed, where Low is easier to play for beginners, but High makes short work of later, more challenging waves.

There's also multiple enemy types, with varying strengths and weaknesses which add to the challenge, throwing enemies into storm clouds gives bonus points, bombs which can be picked dropped on enemies to quickly dispose of smaller mobs, the ability to freeze enemies with Circle once per game, if you're feeling overwhelmed and a music changer (with L1/R1) if you would rather listen to different music while defending your castle. Enjoy!

Screenies:
    First Wave - Warriors & A Ninja

Big Rush - Warriors, Ninja and Assassin

Close Up - Warrior

Last edited by Hotwlngz; 02-27-2011 at 06:35 AM. Reason: Opting into F4F

Played it, had fun, wished it were longer. Anyway, here's some ideas.

*Three stages to the level. Same area, just change up enemies or their speed with each level, it gives a sense of achievement.
    *Not a fan of the mouse pointer, why not a hand or a sword.
    *Give a backup weapon that recharges slowly and can be used only occassionally, like hot oil or heavy rocks dropping from the castle.
    *Make some cool thigs to throw the enemy at, such as fire, and give bonus points for it.

Thanks for the level. Please check and review mine (Sacknight 1: Fetch Quest of the King): http://lbp.me/v/xqgfb4

3. Thanks!

I just played it. It has a great concept and I love the mouse pointer...yet it could use some fine tuning. How about different sorts of enemies? And make the castle a bit prettier! Otherwise very cool idea.

5. Thanks!

Hotwlngz

There are multiple types of enemies, they just get unlocked as you progress, which I hinted at in the first post. :P There's Grunts which are just cannon fodder and easily dispatched, Ninjas which move faster, Shadow Ninjas which move even faster AND take more damage, and finally Knights which move slightly slower than grunts, but can easily take up to 3 throws to finally kill them off.

They also spawn faster as you progress. You have to get a few thousand points to finally see all of the content and see how high the difficulty eventually ramps up, but people seem to be quitting or giving up before even hitting 1k. =(

Thanks for the suggestions though, and I'll definitely see about implementing them sometime soon.
    Last edited by Hotwlngz; 02-16-2011 at 02:57 AM.

Don't think you have to put in all of my suggestions as is, I just wanted to recommend some variety (sounds like you have that) and brainstorm some possibilities.

Hotwlngz

Yeah, I don't think I worded the end of that post right :P

I meant that I saw where you guys were coming from, and I've also been working to give the game more variety (especially when people don't seem to be interested enough to get past the first wave of grunts o.o). I also agree that the visuals do need some work. Your suggestions helped confirm what I already thought were some of the biggest points which needed improvement, which I really do appreciate .

That Guy That I knew :l Limesta-'s Avatar
    Level completed: 64%, Points required for next Level: 257
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Your First Group 1000 Experience Points 500 Experience Points 250 Experience Points 100 Experience Points
    PSN
    Limesta-

Oah Noahhhhzz
    I was actually going to make a Defend your Castle style level as soon as the Move Pack was released
    Oh well, I still will anyway

Anyway I really liked the level, could of had a bit more variety in enemy type togive it more of that DYC feel and why do they ker-splode when they get to the castle wall :P
    Could you give feedback on this level?

10. Thanks!

I found it hard to pick up the sackbots. Maybe the pointer could be a bit bigger?
    LBP2 - F4F Thread for Demon Baby Toss - Toss some babies, it's OK...they are demons
    LBP2 - F4F Thread for Demon Baby Hurdles - THE DEMO - Run the race and jump over them babies!

LBP1 - Save My Walrus! The Yeti + MGS weapons crate + a simple minded walrus + YOU = AWESOME action with a side arm of humor!

I'M A THREAD! I'M A THREAD!! YAH!! *pauses* oh, wait...now I'm a fuzz ball...COOOL

12. Thanks!

This is an interesting idea I hadn't come across this game before. I found it pretty amusing lobbing the soldiers about but found the pointer jobby a bit fiddly. Perhaps throwing them into some varied hazards like an electric turret, an occassional vat of boiling oil (emitted water) or howabout the occassional bomb you can pick up from the castle and throw down (make floor indestructible) would be cool for variety. I had fun all the same. Huge potential with the logic you're using. What next, a point n click adventure?
    F4F Dark Heart of the Wood
    Last edited by Tanuki75; 02-16-2011 at 03:09 PM.
    LBP Sega Outrun Insane Car Journey, RAMpack No Dimensional Birthday Crisis, Wrath of the Sack God, Morning Dew, They Came from Space To Barnyard Race, Outrun Velocity, Come Sit On Santas Lap, Peter and the Wolf, Happy Shooting Fun Balls, Dune (3D)
    PSP Back In Time For Tea
    LBP2 Dune parts 1 and 2, Let's Drive with Sir Clive Sinclair, Dark Heart of the Wood, H2Woooah Jetski Hooligans, Alternative Heroes Bot Shop, Tibetan Mountain Gold Hunters, Aztec Jungle Gold Hunters

14. Thanks!

Hotwlngz

I found it hard to pick up the sackbots. Maybe the pointer could be a bit bigger?
    I'll definitely be giving the cursor more range soon, since this seems to be such a common issue, along with a few other cursor-based fixes.

The suggestions are great though, and I'll be whipping up more content once I feel the cursor is more user-friendly. (So keep an eye on it )

Will go through F4F when LBP.me login comes back from maintenance.

Thumbs up

- I would suggest moving the high/med/low to the right or below "Sensitivity" in the menu.
    To be honest I wasn't sure if it was for the cursor or a violence rating.
    - The cursor was a bit annoying to use (even when holding X before you pick the sackbots up), which should be your #1 priority to fix up.
    Hoplyte + Tanuki75 raised some good points also.

Personally I would introduce the different enemies earlier on (perhaps before the big wave of pure soldier numbers).
    As you said people seem to die/quit before they are even seen. If I hadn't read the level thread/description, I would have assumed it contained nothing but soldiers.
    However if you make the cursor eaiser to use, you may not even need to change your current bot sequence.

Hope this helps.

Bad design 101
    An ingame commentary about the good and bad design choices in my first level: "Platforming 101" ... Learn as you play!

17. Thanks!

Hotwlngz

I've added bonus "Storm Clouds" which give extra points when an enemy gets thrown into them and fixed a batch of bugs.

The cursor was a bit annoying to use (even when holding X before you pick the sackbots up)
    You can't use X before you pick up the sackbots or it doesn't work, so you can't just drag the cursor across and pick up every sackbot in one swipe. This works as intended. I did give the cursor a more generous pick-up range to try to fix that issue, and it also gets more familiar/easier with practice.

To be honest I wasn't sure if it was for the cursor or a violence rating.
    I'll be sure to change the wording :P (I knew it was a vague word to use to begin with, but wasn't sure what else to call it)

Personally I would introduce the different enemies earlier on (perhaps before the big wave of pure soldier numbers)
    The storm clouds just implemented does a great deal to speed up the progression now.

I had a ton of fun with this level! The gameplay could be tightened up a little bit to feel smoother I think and the visuals might need a little boost, but other than that very solid!
    Definitely a level I will coming back to later, so hearted!

Here's my F4F: http://www.lbpcentral.com/forums/sho...et-30-Hearts!)
    PSN: rhansen2

Credit to Arnaldo17

PLEASE check out my epic new Toyota Prius level!: Prius_Eco Adventure
    Every play and heart helps me out a lot! Thanks!
    (Also, it's actually good so there ya go.)

20. Thanks!

I think I just scored you your 50-plays trophy.

Here goes, it's a nice quirky level. Add more fun stuff. What I would love in a level like this is an intro. Why do we need to defeat these evil people who are invading the castle? And power-ups. Like bombs spawning on top of the castle that you could throw against the sackpeople.
    Latest creation: Larry by Design: Faux City

See also:

Larry by Design: Faux City (F4F Thread)

Sackboy versus the Cardboard Creator (F4F Thread)

22. Thanks!

LBPCentral Spotlight CrewLBPCentral Spotlight Crew rialrees's Avatar
    Level completed: 71%, Points required for next Level: 417
    Overall activity: 0%
    100 Experience Points 7 days registered 250 Experience Points 500 Experience Points Created Blog entry
    PSN
    rialrees
    Blog Entries

Great concept, and a nice start - left a full review in game for you

24. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Hotwlngz View Post
    You can't use X before you pick up the sackbots or it doesn't work, so you can't just drag the cursor across and pick up every sackbot in one swipe. This works as intended. I did give the cursor a more generous pick-up range to try to fix that issue, and it also gets more familiar/easier with practice.
    That's strange.
    Because while playing I found it eaiser to hold x before the cursor was in range.

Bad design 101
    An ingame commentary about the good and bad design choices in my first level: "Platforming 101" ... Learn as you play!

Hotwlngz

That's strange.
    Because while playing I found it eaiser to hold x before the cursor was in range.
    Ah... I just tried it and saw that it does indeed work. :P I wasn't really intending the cursor to be able to do that, but it's a good technique and doesn't break anything. Nice catch

What I would love in a level like this is an intro. Why do we need to defeat these evil people who are invading the castle?
    I'll keep this in mind. It'll give me a good excuse to get familiarized with more of the movie tools.

Like bombs spawning on top of the castle that you could throw against the sackpeople.
    I'm currently developing this idea at the moment and working out the kinks. I like this suggestion, and it seems pretty popular so I'll hopefully have a decent update in the coming days.

The gameplay could be tightened up a little bit to feel smoother I think and the visuals might need a little boost
    I agree, and hopefully I'll be able to give the visuals a good touch-up and make the gameplay a bit more fluid sometime soon.

I'm still doing F4F, if anyone's interested.
    Last edited by Hotwlngz; 02-23-2011 at 03:17 AM.

Level completed: 28%, Points required for next Level: 509
    Overall activity: 49.0%
    100 Experience Points 7 days registered 250 Experience Points 500 Experience Points 30 days registered
    PSN
    ForcesWerwolf

heh cute idea
    liked it, but it gets boring and the feeling of a zombie survival challenge
    you should try to get some stuff in it what is unusual for this. maybe some powerups:

if you drop one into a special cloud you'll be able to pick up more at once for a limited time (like a circle around your arrow)

or like some bombs you can fire dunno, thinka bout something!
    worth to change little bit to make it even more better!

thats my ideas for it
    if you like you can do a small review about my level ingame or here:
    http://www.lbpcentral.com/forums/sho...usion&p=778580
    thank you!

28. Thanks!

Hey! i queued and will play as soon as I'm home. Please play and rate my level Little Guitar Hero in return, thanks!
    F4F: http://lbp.me/v/xjq9g4

Add me to your PSN friend list! I will help you whenever you need logic done, beta testing or reviewing!

Hotwlngz

you should try to get some stuff in it what is unusual for this. maybe some powerups:

if you drop one into a special cloud you'll be able to pick up more at once for a limited time (like a circle around your arrow)

or like some bombs you can fire dunno, thinka bout something!
    I already have clouds (which give bonus points) and bombs (which kill people), so I'm not sure how these ideas are really unusual if I've already added them. I'd add more such features, but I feel like it'd run the risk of losing it's simplicity =\. Thanks for the feedback though.
    Last edited by Hotwlngz; 02-23-2011 at 03:23 AM.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast