BG1, PRELOAD BG2, PRELOAD

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Results 21 to 33 of 33
  1. #21

    Default

    oh, i'm sorry!
    i missed the bombs... must be very tired when i played it... again sorry...
    but for the clouds: sure i saw and used them! it was just an idea how to trigger an upgrade for the arrow (for example i mean)

    and again you never need to do what others say, if you like it don't change it ok?

  2. #22
    Hotwlngz
    Guest

    Default

    but for the clouds: sure i saw and used them! it was just an idea how to trigger an upgrade for the arrow (for example i mean)

    and again you never need to do what others say, if you like it don't change it ok?
    I do think it needs spiced up a bit, but it seems I should appease the thermo a bit before I start throwing in more powerups. Thanks for the feedback.

    I'll probably be tweaking a few things and trying to polish everything up throughout today/tomorrow, and maybe add more features when it's all good and polished. More suggestions are always welcome. ^^
    Last edited by Hotwlngz; 02-23-2011 at 03:23 AM.

  3. #23
    Vinny---
    Guest

    Default

    That was fun. I'd try and fix up the background. Make it so I can actually see my castle ? Aside from that the enemies could use some more color to better differentiate them as I wasnt sure who was who and what they where doing sometimes. Other than that it's alot of fun Killing them lol

  4. Thanks!


  5. #24
    Hotwlngz
    Guest

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Vinny--- View Post
    I'd try and fix up the background.
    I've been working to make a new, more scenic background, but the thermo in the play area gets scorched fast from all of the logic used, which turns the cursor into a little hazard logo by the time you hit the hardest waves.

    If I can find a way to make the background more scenic and creative, without the cursor and scenery turning into a hazard logo instantly (anyone have any ideas on how to do this? >.>), I'll definitely fix this.


    Quote Originally Posted by Vinny--- View Post
    Make it so I can actually see my castle ?
    Another issue of visual-vs-gameplay balance. I was trying to get as much screen-space as possible to give players more than enough time to deal with the waves of enemies. With the castle on-screen, it has a more awkward look to it, and puts the player at a bit of a disadvantage when the difficulty picks up.

    Quote Originally Posted by Vinny--- View Post
    Aside from that the enemies could use some more color to better differentiate them as I wasn't sure who was who and what they where doing sometimes.
    I was trying to keep this in mind when I picked out the costumes, so I figured this wouldn't be a big issue. But I can also see how it's a little hard to figure out where to focus when the difficulty picks up and the ninjas start blending in with the mass of warriors.

    I may pick out more distinct costumes soon, if more people feel this way.

    Oh, and thanks for the helpful feedback, everyone.

  6. #25

    Default

    Just played and I liked it a lot, but I agree with what some of the others are saying about it missing "something." It's fun, but there needs to be something more to break up the pointing and clicking. The hard part is figuring out what that something is without breaking your simple concept. The cloud is already a neat (but simple) touch and adds a lot of fun to the level! Maybe...

    1) A catapult in the floor that you can trigger, flinging away anyone that is on top of it?

    2) A powerup where you can directly shoot the enemies for a short time? Like a crossbow perhaps?

    3) A time freeze powerup?

    I understand that you're hesitant to mess with a good thing, but right now you really only have two powerups (cloud and bomb). Everyone knows good things come in threes.

    Anyway, great job!

  7. Thanks!


  8. #26
    Hotwlngz
    Guest

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sickivionkey View Post
    Just played and I liked it a lot, but I agree with what some of the others are saying about it missing "something." It's fun, but there needs to be something more to break up the pointing and clicking. The hard part is figuring out what that something is without breaking your simple concept. Maybe...

    3) A time freeze powerup?
    I just started tinkering with this idea, and found that it was a great fit and it doesn't really over-complicate things. It's just been implemented in the newest update, along with several other bug fixes and tweaks and it seems pretty well polished (to me, at least) right now.

    Circle now can be used Once per game to freeze every thing for ten seconds. It doesn't sound like much, but this can be used for a major advantage offensively or defensively.

    I'm still open to suggestions and am still actively working on this game (as in, still patching/updating once every day or two ). F4F is still open, as well.
    Last edited by Hotwlngz; 02-26-2011 at 03:30 AM.

  9. #27

    Default

    Great level this is a very good idea. The visuals and sound effects are nice. The gameplay does get a bit repetitive after a while adding more powerups and variety would certainly improve it. Still a great level though.

  10. Thanks!


  11. #28

    Default

    This is a fun level that works pretty well as a castle defense style level. If you are wanting ideas for additional gameplay elements you don't need to look far for good ideas. You could have a day/night cycle with harder enemies at night. (Or different ones.) You could put a wave system in so the player could track how far they are progressing. (Wave 1, Wave 2, Boss Wave et cetera.)

    You could have unlockable extras based on your score like bigger bombs, faster bomb generation, a sacrificial pit that gives you extra points when you drop enemies in, archers to fire randomly at the incoming army.

    I think it would be good to put in a key on your option menu to let players know which button is select and which is cancel/back. Also some sort of visual indicator when the cursor speed is activated so we know that we have pushed the right button or not.

    The How To section is well done but the magic mouth text obscures the top part of the automated cursor dragging and dropping the person. If the automated bit was moved slightly to the left or not dragged as high so that the text is not in the way.

    I like the gameplay but found the slow and medium cursor speeds to be too slow to really play well at. It just took too long to get the enemies up high enough to get a kill on them. It is good that you've put this in though but my own preference was on the highest speed.

    Your audio recording announcing the bomb is so droll and unenthusiastic that it reminds me of the peons when you click on them in the original Warcraft.

    The slo-mo end board is a cool effect I thought. I'm curious what happens if you play the level with multiple people. If it doesn't do well then I'd suggest putting a note in the title or description to specify 1P or single player.

    I got to see about three or four of the enemy types, I could see the small fast ones and the larger white ones as well as the standard bad guys. I don't quite know what was unique about the white guys as I haven't gotten enough of them to really see their strengths and weaknesses. As has been said earlier if you introduced new enemies earlier on it may be better.

    Also if you had enemies coming in waves then you could send out three or four of the new enemy type to let the player see them and what they can do before you start throwing them out in the general waves.

    The level is solid enough to be a good experience though I think that you can diversify the landscape and/or castle area to have more personality. You've done a good job putting this together to make a fun game that offers a good amount of challenge. Now the key improvement will be variety and aesthetics.
    ------------------
    [LittleBigPlanet Community Battle] Trading card game with members of the community as your very own pawns. Can you collect them all?
    ------------------

  12. Thanks!


  13. #29
    Hotwlngz
    Guest

    Default

    Just implemented a pretty substantial update.

    - New upgradable powerup, Catapult, which consistently launches rocks at enemies. Can be upgraded 3 times, each is a bit faster than the last. (1,500 points per upgrade)
    - New enemy type, Templars, which are beefed up knights, but are immune to catapult fire.
    - Re-Balanced difficulty of spawn system to accommodate the new Catapault system and Templars.
    - Bomb spawn moved to middle layer to avoid enemies blowing it up before use.

    Quote Originally Posted by Trindall View Post
    You could put a wave system in so the player could track how far they are progressing. (Wave 1, Wave 2, Boss Wave et cetera.)
    I would love to do something like this, but due to my constant updates, it would break the difficulty balance in the waves if I introduced anything major. The real-time wave system I have now is a lot more dynamic and pretty easily adjusted which fits my style a lot better.

    Quote Originally Posted by Trindall View Post
    I think it would be good to put in a key on your option menu to let players know which button is select and which is cancel/back. Also some sort of visual indicator when the cursor speed is activated so we know that we have pushed the right button or not.
    Ah... not sure how I forgot this when I went through adding prompts. >.> Will be fixed up in the next update.

    Quote Originally Posted by Trindall View Post
    The How To section is well done but the magic mouth text obscures the top part of the automated cursor dragging and dropping the person. If the automated bit was moved slightly to the left or not dragged as high so that the text is not in the way.
    Yeah, I've noticed this recently too. I'll probably fix this up in a future update as well.

    Quote Originally Posted by Trindall View Post
    I like the gameplay but found the slow and medium cursor speeds to be too slow to really play well at. It just took too long to get the enemies up high enough to get a kill on them. It is good that you've put this in though but my own preference was on the highest speed.
    High was the only setting in the first version I published, but I quickly realized not everyone liked the same cursor speed as me. I felt that a variable cursor speed was the only really fair solution.

    Quote Originally Posted by Trindall View Post
    Your audio recording announcing the bomb is so droll and unenthusiastic that it reminds me of the peons when you click on them in the original Warcraft.
    Yeah, it wasn't meant to last as the permanent audio recording, just a small fix for the issue of players getting too involved to notice they've had a perfectly capable bomb sitting collecting dust. I'll give it a better shot when I get the chance.

    Quote Originally Posted by Trindall View Post
    I'm curious what happens if you play the level with multiple people. If it doesn't do well then I'd suggest putting a note in the title or description to specify 1P or single player.
    Lag happens. A lot of logic cramped into a relatively small area, plus bad connections is apparently a bad combination. This is why it's labeled "Single Player". People still try though, and end up doing poorly and blaming the game because they neglected to take a second to see if there might have been a "Single Player" tag up. (Although the first version was full multiplayer support, but it didn't take me long to realize how bad of an idea that was. Local multiplayer is lag-free, but there's still an awkward feel to it.)

    Quote Originally Posted by Trindall View Post
    I got to see about three or four of the enemy types, I could see the small fast ones and the larger white ones as well as the standard bad guys. I don't quite know what was unique about the white guys as I haven't gotten enough of them to really see their strengths and weaknesses. As has been said earlier if you introduced new enemies earlier on it may be better.
    I always felt harder enemies should be introduced gradually, so newer players don't get overwhelmed. I also spread them out a bit so people would be able to learn by killing the new enemy a few times and figure out which enemy types are stronger and which are less threatening so they can find the best priority system that works for them.

    Quote Originally Posted by Trindall View Post
    Now the key improvement will be variety and aesthetics.
    I'm constantly updating this game and adding new things all the time. Variety and aesthetics have been the main priority of the last few patches, and I still feel a few more follow-up updates coming soon.


    I really appreciate the thorough feedback, and I'm glad you both enjoyed it and took the time to point out any and all issues you had.

  14. #30

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Hotwlngz View Post
    I really appreciate the thorough feedback, and I'm glad you both enjoyed it and took the time to point out any and all issues you had.
    I really did enjoy the level and the visuals and aesthetics comments were just ideas on what could make the level a more well rounded product.

    About the recorded voice bit, I didn't write it up last time but I enjoyed the recording as it was. It was a funny counterpoint to the frantic onslaught of attackers and here the, potentially overworked and under appreciated, workers are letting you know that your bomb is ready in a bored sounding voice. Fun stuff.

    I can understand the problems with the regimented wave system and your current logic implementation. The level looks great, I'll have to check out the newest updates when I'm able. Cheers.
    ------------------
    [LittleBigPlanet Community Battle] Trading card game with members of the community as your very own pawns. Can you collect them all?
    ------------------

  15. #31
    Hotwlngz
    Guest

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Trindall View Post
    I really did enjoy the level and the visuals and aesthetics comments were just ideas on what could make the level a more well rounded product.
    Yeah, I've been aware of the visual vs gameplay imbalance for a while, but it's pretty well touched up after the catapult and the enemy arrows/rock visual updates and does a pretty good job of emulating the chaotic feeling I was aiming for. Not to say that it's by any means perfect, but it's getting to a pretty comfortable point (for me, at least).

    Quote Originally Posted by Trindall View Post
    About the recorded voice bit, I didn't write it up last time but I enjoyed the recording as it was. It was a funny counterpoint to the frantic onslaught of attackers and here the, potentially overworked and under appreciated, workers are letting you know that your bomb is ready in a bored sounding voice. Fun stuff.
    I was surprised you mentioned Warcraft, because that was exactly what I had in mind when I recorded it (laborers don't seem like they enjoyed their work too much, especially historically). I just expected (probably naively) that people would make some sort of connection as to what I was going for, but I realize that most people attributed it to lack of effort.

    Quote Originally Posted by Trindall View Post
    I can understand the problems with the regimented wave system and your current logic implementation. The level looks great, I'll have to check out the newest updates when I'm able. Cheers.
    I'm glad to hear that, because I've patched up most of the concerns and suggested improvements from your feedback post, just a few hours ago.

  16. #32
    Hotwlngz
    Guest

    Default

    Updated - June 8th, 2013:
    * Bigger enemies
    * Bigger bomb
    * Bugfix for squishing enemies
    * Enemy speed & spawning quickened due to easier grabbing
    * Bomb voiceover temporarily disabled

  17. #33
    ITS ALIIIIIIIIIIVE! Burnvictim42's Avatar
    Points: 38,312, Level: 60
    Level completed: 39%, Points required for next Level: 738
    Overall activity: 0%
    Your First Group 10000 Experience Points 5000 Experience Points 1000 Experience Points 500 Experience Points
    PSN
    Burnvictim42
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    California
    Posts
    3,100
    Blog Entries
    4

    Default

    Played this today, had a lot of fun The game is set up very well, and having that time out button really helps you out when the screen is full of enemies! However, as the game continued, the fun dropped a bit.

    I liked being able to spend my points on the catapult, and I liked the idea of having the bomb to drop. However, the bomb is in a position that makes it hard to drop when they're beating down your door and you're trying to pick them off, and once I bought the final catapult upgrade, I wanted more to spend my points on!

    It would be cool if you could wire the bomb drop to R2 to make it easier to use, and there are a million ways you can add upgrades to help the players. The upgrade system in itself adds some fun risk reward, as the player has to decide "do I buy X? or do I keep my points?" and going up to buy an upgrade is certainly risky!

    If you wanted, you could also probably add some visual changes to keep the area fresh (ie: GLT changes, or background animations).

    Overall, I had fun, I just think there may be some room for this level to be even better Thanks for the level.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •