BG1, PRELOAD BG2, PRELOAD

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Larger "Thermometer"

I'm probably not the only one who has had problems keeping their levels lag free because of the thermometer limitations. The size of the levels are big enough, because we obviously don't want levels that are going to take near 2 hours to complete.

But I argue that they should allow you to fill the space provided to the brim, without the probability of your level lagging to the point of where it seems your in slow-mo. I used half of the space provided in my recent Sin City level and I had to remove quite a few objects just to make it bearable to play.

Anyone else having the same problems?

Holy Commander of Tacos Gondito's Avatar
    Level completed: 30%, Points required for next Level: 565
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Your First Group 5000 Experience Points 1000 Experience Points 500 Experience Points 250 Experience Points
    PSN
    Gondito
    Blog Entries

are you using the largest crater? bigger craters have more thermometer space

PSN ID: Gondito
    Published Levels: Hibachi Dojo
    Limbo
    The King's Orders
    I updated my level Hibachi Dojo with a completely awesome new atmosphere. Check it out!

Level completed: 99%, Points required for next Level: 12
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    7 days registered 10000 Experience Points 5000 Experience Points 1000 Experience Points 500 Experience Points
    PSN
    ForsakenShadow

Quote Originally Posted by LittleBigGiant View Post
    are you using the largest crater? bigger craters have more thermometer space
    Wrong Craters, from what I've seen, have no difference whatsoever (Except the icon size :/). The Thermometer and actual size of the level should be the same.
    I am not a real person, stop messaging me.

A fanboy will always be a fanboy. Debating with them is futile, we can only correct them.

Your First Group 5000 Experience Points 1000 Experience Points 500 Experience Points 250 Experience Points
    PSN
    Gondito
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Forsaken View Post
    Wrong Craters, from what I've seen, have no difference whatsoever (Except the icon size :/). The Thermometer and actual size of the level should be the same.
    but MM said themselves bigger craters have bigger thermometer spaces

Limbo
    The King's Orders
    I updated my level Hibachi Dojo with a completely awesome new atmosphere. Check it out!

I'm pretty sure they don't. Do you happen to know where they said this?

In theory one is aware that the earth revolves, but in practice one does not perceive it, the ground upon which one treads seems not to move, and one can live undisturbed. So it is with Time in one's life. ~Marcel Proust, The Past Recaptured, 1927

PSN
    Gondito
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by BassDeluxe View Post
    I'm pretty sure they don't. Do you happen to know where they said this?
    i dont remember! i swear they talked about it in one of the interviews cartman had with alex evans

Limbo
    The King's Orders

That's old news, though. I moved a level to a smaller crater once and the thermometer didn't budge.

License to krill. Whalio Cappuccino's Avatar
    Level completed: 34%, Points required for next Level: 726
    Overall activity: 0%
    7 days registered 10000 Experience Points 5000 Experience Points 1000 Experience Points 500 Experience Points
    PSN
    Whaale

I don't think thermometers move, but the size of the level gets larger. That's probably what they meant.

Wait...Are you sure level size increases? That will be the second thing I learned today if it is. I wish I had known it earlier though, cause the level size made me mad with my last level.

In theory one is aware that the earth revolves, but in practice one does not perceive it, the ground upon which one treads seems not to move, and one can live undisturbed. So it is with Time in one's life. ~Marcel Proust, The Past Recaptured, 1927

Bigger craters cannot have bigger thermometers and I will prove it with my flawless logic.

- Crater A is bigger than Crater B.
    - If Crater A's thermometer is full, it cannot be copied into Crater B.

Since this is not the case, Crater B's thermometer must be just as big as Crater A's.
    Past Projects: Temple of Sun and Moon, H.A.T.E., H.A.T.E._2
    Current Project: None
    Backburner: Project Shipwreck (Working Title)

From my experience lag is caused by the amount stuck together, everything in my level was one big mass and sticking score bubbles to it made it lag when they were colected, splitting to two large masses of objects fixed it.

How can the thermometer increase realistically?

Think about it, the only reason that's there is to make sure the game will run smoothly. I'm sure that we could pile loads more into levels, but the PS3 would not be able to handle it.

I once tried filling the thermometer with mainly physics based objects. Not good. Laggy as hell and then the PS3 froze.

Add me on PSN: alexbull_uk
    Day one owner of LittleBigPlanet, LittleBigPlanet 2 (CE) and LittleBigPlanet Vita!
    LBP, LBP 2, LBP Vita & LBP Karting Beta Tester!

Level completed: 76%, Points required for next Level: 147
    7 days registered 5000 Experience Points 1000 Experience Points 500 Experience Points 250 Experience Points
    PSN
    Neverynnal

Bravo for making me look like an idiot! lmao :P

Seriously though, big oversight on my part. Must learn to think outside the box!...

why cant u be able to merge craters so u could have more level data just an option i bet people are willing to give up how many levels they can make for more space

Positive Change Advocate Elbee23's Avatar
    Level completed: 75%, Points required for next Level: 200
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Your First Group 10000 Experience Points 5000 Experience Points 1000 Experience Points 500 Experience Points
    PSN
    Elbee23
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by panzer3000 View Post
    why cant u be able to merge craters so u could have more level data just an option i bet people are willing to give up how many levels they can make for more space
    Well, you can create a level key which you get for finishing a level, and then use it to activate a continuing level. Although you need to partially stop and start things, it allows you to keep things flowing to a limited extent.

The size of the crater in My Moon has no affect on anything.

One of the stupidest design ideas this, making different sized craters without any hint about if the size has any effect on anything. It's funny how lousy a lot of game developers are in creating User Interfaces.

Err, to get things cleared up a bit, Linque is correct. Before, i think the plan for MM was to make the smaller craters be for minigames and such, and the larger craters for the larger levels. However, like many other things that changed through development (like ice!), they decided to take this feature out. So everything is now just once size. The largest i'd imagine too.

I think craters are just relative to the size of the level space you get inside them.
    If you must get by it, try edging off some of the corners using the corner editor, or use less variety in your materials...
    Or does that only make a difference in thermometer take-up, rather than lag?

I imagine that there must be one set data amount in each crater otherwise lag would be almost unimaginable due to extended variables in data accumulation for multilayer download bandwidth. This all sounds technical but with varying sizes of levels the severs must us this extra change in there database. one set data amount helps the transition of data from one PS3 to another.

I smell smelly.
    Level completed: 69%, Points required for next Level: 217
    PSN
    joeandbob22

We should have a larger thermometer, one of my levels that I was making in my moom was so short because the thermometer was almost exploding! It's almost impossible to decorate your level to perfection and having it at a decent size.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast