BG1, PRELOAD BG2, PRELOAD

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by jwwphotos View Post
    Thanks to Thegide and Omega.

BLABLABLABLA for like 60 rows...
    WTF! Look at this wall of text, who could want to read it?
    Seriously, you are way too kind to explain all this stuff AND more important thing, as we ALL can imagine you're not the only responsible, so don't take all the responsibility on your shoulder, OK?
    And now don't try anymore to write such an epic poem and move to do your more important stuff, try to not get tired too much and see ya when everything is settled

Sig by FJT

2. Thanks!

LBPCentral Creator Spotlight CrewUniverseUnderConstruction jwwphotos's Avatar
    Level completed: 39%, Points required for next Level: 991
    Overall activity: 21.0%
    Your First Group 10000 Experience Points 5000 Experience Points 1000 Experience Points 500 Experience Points
    PSN
    jwwPhotos
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by OmegaSlayer View Post
    WTF! Look at this wall of text, who could want to read it?
    Seriously, you are way too kind to explain all this stuff AND more important thing, as we ALL can imagine you're not the only responsible, so don't take all the responsibility on your shoulder, OK?
    And now don't try anymore to write such an epic poem and move to do your more important stuff, try to not get tired too much and see ya when everything is settled
    lol... well, you asked!
    (aka jww) - Published Levels
    Space Escape (spotlighted!) // Space Escape II (spotlighted!)
    Survival Line (spotlighted!) // Space Escape Pinball (spotlighted! Mm Picked!)
    Trapped (spotlighted! vita)

4. Thanks!

Level completed: 31%, Points required for next Level: 484
    Overall activity: 0%
    7 days registered 1000 Experience Points 500 Experience Points 250 Experience Points 100 Experience Points
    PSN
    maximus254

*This is mainly talking about the Spotlight situation.*

Yes, just throwing in people won't help,
    but adding "skilled" people in what ever department you need them definitely unloads a burden.
    This has probably been said before, (then again I don't want to read through a couple of essays,)
    but certain things can take a phycological burden. For example feeling overwhelmed with work, (not good for the workers well-being or the product.)

The "scolding" of people waiting for your work to be finished.
    Of course you need a little nudge occasionally to keep a regular flow, but not so much as where they might rush things and produce sloppy work.

You need a large workforce, enough to get the work done, but not so many that you have people just taking up space and mass confusion where nobody knows what their doing.

I guess in summary I mean.
    1. Nudge the team, but don't be breathing down their neck.
    2. Beef up your staff, but only enough that is needed.
    3. Be patient.

(I know this seems like "duh" but.. oh well... my view anyway.)
    Last edited by Maxi; 04-19-2011 at 10:31 PM.

Touch the button!

Part of the problem is that nobody from the site is telling us anything. I'm talking about the community spotlight here. It has always been a staple on this site. Like clockwork, every two weeks we had a new spotlight. Till now. I'd hate to see it go away. I'd love to see it get back on track. IMHO if LBP is growing, and getting busier, than this site needs to adjust accordingly. If not than what's the point of visiting a neglected site. Just my two cents.
    When all is said and done. There's usually more said than done.......

Your First Group 10000 Experience Points 5000 Experience Points 1000 Experience Points 500 Experience Points
    PSN
    jwwPhotos
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Maxi View Post
    *This is mainly talking about the Spotlight situation.*
    Which one? The Community Spotlight or the Creator Spotlight?

Level completed: 69%, Points required for next Level: 283
    7 days registered 5000 Experience Points 1000 Experience Points 500 Experience Points 250 Experience Points
    PSN
    Thegide
    Blog Entries

I think most people are particularly concerned with the community spotlight...

9. Thanks!

Guys, let me remind you of something told every time something liek this happens.
    Its not easy, they're donating THEIR time to play dozens/ hundreds of levels posted in between spotlights, they deserve a break every now and then as well, don't you think?

Remember, they're doing this for free, volunteering, so unless you'd rather pay them for the services or do the job yourself and see how tough it really is, I wouldn't really start complaining. )

11. Thanks!

Level completed: 31%, Points required for next Level: 484
    7 days registered 1000 Experience Points 500 Experience Points 250 Experience Points 100 Experience Points
    PSN
    maximus254

I'm talking about the Community Spotlight.

Touch the button!

13. Thanks!

Level completed: 86%, Points required for next Level: 57
    100 Experience Points 250 Experience Points 7 days registered 500 Experience Points 30 days registered
    PSN
    MoonfaceDesigns

How do spotlights work exactly in having levels picked? Are they levels chosen from the ones in the Level Showcase that those running the spotlight have played and feel worthy of spotlighting? I'm curious since I don't know much about spotlights so can't comment much about the recent lack of them really.

Quote Originally Posted by Silverleon View Post
    Guys, let me remind you of something told every time something liek this happens.
    Its not easy, they're donating THEIR time to play dozens/ hundreds of levels posted in between spotlights, they deserve a break every now and then as well, don't you think?

Remember, they're doing this for free, volunteering, so unless you'd rather pay them for the services or do the job yourself and see how tough it really is, I wouldn't really start complaining. )
    This has gotten WAY past the point where we can merely say they are just busy. Yes, they are busy I'm sure, or just don't care, but by this point it's obvious that they just aren't able to keep up. Thus, they need to import people. People who would be able to help keep it coming at a reasonable pace. Because it's WAY past the point where we can just say they are "overswamped".

This statement is true.

Quote Originally Posted by RockSauron View Post
    This has gotten WAY past the point where we can merely say they are just busy. Yes, they are busy I'm sure, or just don't care, but by this point it's obvious that they just aren't able to keep up. Thus, they need to import people. People who would be able to help keep it coming at a reasonable pace. Because it's WAY past the point where we can just say they are "overswamped".
    All I see in this thread is people complaining about it, no one's willing to help.
    Yes, they may not be able to keep up, but until what does it matter when there aren't other people anting to volunteer?

They may very well come out and say "We can't do this" and it won't help a thing, because, as said, people like to complain more than to offer help around here.

Level completed: 69%, Points required for next Level: 283
    7 days registered 5000 Experience Points 1000 Experience Points 500 Experience Points 250 Experience Points
    PSN
    Thegide
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Silverleon View Post
    They may very well come out and say "We can't do this" and it won't help a thing, because, as said, people like to complain more than to offer help around here.
    There are people willing to volunteer, but you need to light a smoke signal to get their attention in the first place. The first step is coming out and saying "hey guys, we need this many people for this, and this many people to do this" and that hasn't happened yet. The help is there, but you need to take the initiative and try to actively recruit people.

PSN
    jwwPhotos
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Moonface View Post
    How do spotlights work exactly in having levels picked? Are they levels chosen from the ones in the Level Showcase that those running the spotlight have played and feel worthy of spotlighting? I'm curious since I don't know much about spotlights so can't comment much about the recent lack of them really.
    Historically, ...well, before the backlog of LBP2 levels coming out, the Community Spotlight team went out and played all the levels in the Level Showcase that came out in a two week period. They would then pick those levels they felt worthy of a Spotlight. If you look at Community Spotlights (not to be confused with the Creator Spotlights) you will see there are editions going back to the beginning of LBP1. 57 pretty much on time editions to be exact. Episode 58 was the first one that came out featuring LBP2 levels and came out really late.

Seems like there were 1000 or more levels that flooded in that two week period after LBP2. Sorta the Tsunami of levels. They finally got through quite a few of those covering up to Jan 28th and published edition 58 on May 7th. That is where it sits today, though the last note on the spotlight is they were still working on them.

Quote Originally Posted by Thegide View Post
    There are people willing to volunteer, but you need to light a smoke signal to get their attention in the first place. The first step is coming out and saying "hey guys, we need this many people for this, and this many people to do this" and that hasn't happened yet. The help is there, but you need to take the initiative and try to actively recruit people.
    Yeah.. not sure why that didn't happen, but it is not hard to see they were taken out in the first huge wave. If the team is still even in existence, I know they need help and in fact willing to bet most if not all have sorta ran away from the site screaming in terror. lol

However being a bit resourceful from being around here for quite awhile and knowing some of the behind the scenes activities...

If I was interested in volunteering for the Community Spotlight team and had a great eye for knowing what is a spotlight worthy level, I would send a PM to Aya.

If you are a really good writer, set designer or prop creator (..as in amazing) and interested in possibly joining the Creator Spotlight team once I get settled after my move, give me a PM.
    Last edited by jwwphotos; 04-20-2011 at 02:06 PM.

19. Thanks!

Level completed: 19%, Points required for next Level: 731
    Overall activity: 8.0%

PSN
    julesyjules

Thats a shame if it just got too much for the guys on the team. Understandable given the amount of levels. I dunno, maybe it's best to just draw a line underneath the last few months given the circumstances and start afresh. Not ideal but I'd rather the team be given a practical way that enables the Spotlights to carry on. This stuff is meant to be enjoyable for the participants, not a huge burden.

Quote Originally Posted by smasher1973 View Post
    Part of the problem is that nobody from the site is telling us anything.
    Okay. Here's the situation as I see it...

There's one problem which both Spotlights have in common, and its name is LBP2. The launch of the game has reignited the creative passions of many of the volunteers who work on the Spotlights in the same way it has for many others, and given that an individual only has a finite amount of free time, that would necessarily mean less of their time would be available to work on the Spotlights.

In the case of the Creator Spotlight it's pretty simple. For as long as I can remember, jwwphotos has always been the one to take on the bulk of the responsibility of ensuring the work gets done, oftentimes at great personal expense, so if he wishes to take a well-earned break from that role, the Creator Spotlights pretty much come to a halt. This is not a big deal.

The Community Spotlight, however, is a slightly different beast. The idea is that the crew play every level posted in the Level Showcase, so taking a break isn't really an option, since the list of levels will continue to pile up. Prior to the release of LBP2 everything was pretty much working fine - we had just about enough people to play through the levels at the rate they were being posted.

Upon the launch of LBP2 on Jan 18th, though, two things happened. The first is neatly represented by this graph...

...and the second was the disappearance of many of the active crew.

In some cases, they'd notified us that they no longer had the time to work on the Spotlight, and were replaced with new members. In others cases, though, they seemingly just vanished without a word, making it very difficult to keep track of who was actually still active. As a result, the workload became too great, and at present the backlog of levels waiting to be played is about 2 months' worth.

Various ideas were kicked around, including partial automation of the process based on lbp.me statistics, but it was felt that this would compromise the quality of the Spotlight, and lead to it becoming akin to the LBP Cool Levels pages - something which we've always tried to avoid.

Adding new crewmembers would certainly help, and there's still a thread open for people to volunteer, but, frankly, it would take a hell of a lot of people to get through the backlog in any reasonable amount of time.

Now that the number of threads has died down to a more managable level, we're currently discussing whether it would be acceptable just to ditch the backlog, and start again - is it really worth having a Spotlight of levels from two months ago?

There is actually a PS3 Spotlight ready to be published, but we're waiting on word from the PSP crew who seem to have vanished, so we may have to decouple the two from now on.

So, those are the problems. If anyone has any thoughts on possible solutions, feel free to comment, but just saying "recruit more people" isn't really any help, since this actually requires people who are prepared to volunteer. For those who wish to volunteer please see this thread.

Thanks.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast