BG1, PRELOAD BG2, PRELOAD

Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Default LBPC Contest #5 – The Dark Side of Disney!

The House of Mouse becomes the Den of Darkness

Ladies and gentleman, boys and girls, we present a very special contest in honor of the deliciously dark Halloween. Somewhere a Mouse is very afraid indeed, heavy is the crown...

Once upon a time a man had an ambitious idea to take some of the most beloved Disney movies and turn them into something more sinister. The man quickly realized just how big a project this would be and called a meeting with his fellow Contest Crew minions of the Dark. Together they declared with a thunderous roar “give this idea to the creatures of the night and let us see what black magic they might weave!” And so it begins…

In this month’s contest we want you to take a classic Disney or Pixar movie from the list provided and twist it into something dark and sinister. Whether this means dark humor or something scary is entirely up to you. Disney has an amazing catalogue of films; their movies have touched children and adults alike from all over the world. Your levels should seek to retain that magic and wonder, we expect nothing but the best, be as ambitious as you can be. We realize just how hard it is to cram a Disney movie into an LBP level so we are being generous with our length guidelines, use those 15 minutes wisely! For inspiration/examples check out the masterful novel “Wicked” by Gregory Maguire or the recent “Red Riding Hood” (bad movie but a good example of retelling a classic story!) Remember though, this is Disney so nothing too dark! As a measuring stick ask yourself if there is any chance of the level being moderated because of the material within. If the answer is yes then tone it down a bit! Feel free to make use of cameos, we know there are lots of cool Disney characters out there and if you can find a creative way to add them into your story then all the better!

Building requirements

• Create a level based around one of the following Disney/Pixar movies. The level should have a dark, sinister theme and must be a reinterpretation of the classic story:

Pinnochio, Peter Pan, The Jungle Book, Snow White, The Little Mermaid, Aladdin, The Lion King, Cinderella, Beauty and the Beast, Dumbo, Bambi, Aristocats, 101 Dalmatians, Fantasia, Toy Story (series), Monsters Inc, Finding Nemo, Wall E, A Bugs Life, The Incredibles.

• Gameplay should be based around platforming ( NO MOVE LEVELS!)
    • Level links are allowed
    • Cutscenes are allowed but not required. Taking the 15 minute length a potential mix would be 2.5min intro, 10 minute gameplay, 2.5min outro.
    • Levels should be long enough to keep the judges entertained for 15 minutes max (note that levels don't NEED to be 15 minutes!).

How to enter

• Build a level before the deadline that fits the contest description and building requirements.
    • Include the text “(LBPC5)” in the level’s title. Don’t forget to add things like a nice looking badge, some tags, and a concise level description.
    • Publish your level before 11:59PM GMT on 15th November, 2011.
    • Post an LBP.me link to your level in this thread, so we’re sure not to miss it!
    • After the deadline, the judges will put on their ghost costumes and select up to ten semi-finalists based on the scoring criteria below. The best level will be pinned/crowned winner!
    • The Sackinima team will feature HD recordings of the three finalists on their youtube channel for the whole world to see!

Judging criteria

Levels will be judged according to the following criteria:
    • Gameplay– Here, we’re scoring things like fun factor, balanced difficulty and freedom from glitches and bugs.
    • Originality – How innovative is your creation? How well did you take the source material to create something unique yet still have it be recognizable? Your story-telling skills will play a big part here. Remember, it is possible to tell a story without cutscenes or speech bubbles, the choice is yours so be creative.
    • Visuals – This is all about how good your level looks. We like detail and lighting and special effects, but try to avoid graphics-induced lag!
    • Audio – Sound effects and music are a great way to turn your level into an addictive and immersive experience.

Rules and Regulations

• This contest is open to all ages and all regions. That means anyone can participate!
    • All entries must be playable in LittleBigPlanet 2
    • You can only enter one level (not including level links which are allowed). Duplicate entries will result in disqualification.
    • The contest officially begins on 1st October, 2011 at 12:00am GMT. Previously published entries will not be accepted.
    • You can co-create with up to four people, but only one person should publish the level. Team member contributions should be listed in the level description. If you are publishing as a team, this counts as the only “one entry” for each team member, so you cannot publish on your own and as part of a team, or enter as part of more than one team.
    • Levels must be published unlocked and set to “Cooperative” or “Versus” in their gameplay mode.
    • Levels must be published before the deadline with “(LBPC5)” in the level’s title. After the deadline, do not republish. Levels republished after the deadline will be disqualified. Exceptions may be made for quick fixes with respect to level titles, description, badges, or major game-breaking fixes, but only with the prior consent of the contest crew. If you need to request an edit, please post in this thread and send me a PM.
    • Levels must be your own creation. Feel free to take inspiration from the world around you and from other levels, but don’t copy someone else’s work outright! That’s just not cool….
    • Last but not least, have fun, play fair and respect other creators!

Also a little Handy FAQs for you all

Q: Can I enter a previously published level?
    A: No.

Q: Can I enter a level I already have on my moon, but hasn't yet been published?
    A: Yes.

Q: Once I've published my entry, can I republish it?
    A: You can republish it as many times before the deadline as you like, but not after the deadline.

Q: When will the judging begin?
    A: The judges may take a look at some levels prior to the deadline, but the judging proper will not begin until after the deadline.

Q: When will the results be posted?
    A: We can't really give any accurate answer to this, but it will be no more than a month after the judging begins.
    Good luck everyone!

OCK
    Last edited by OCK; 10-09-2011 at 05:03 PM.

LBPCentral Spotlight Crew Point & Click Printzess rialrees's Avatar
    Level completed: 81%, Points required for next Level: 234
    Overall activity: 17.0%
    100 Experience Points 7 days registered 250 Experience Points 500 Experience Points Created Blog entry
    PSN
    rialrees
    Blog Entries

ARGH! Why must you do this to me Contest Crew!!!!

I'm currently producing a twist on Disney's Snow White for Printz.... but it's not particularly dark....

Gah.... Choices choices...

I doubt I'll be able to enter, as I've been putting Printz off for months now, and the platformer element is not my forte. But good luck to all the awesome entries that are bound to come out of this one!

Level completed: 76%, Points required for next Level: 120
    Overall activity: 0%

PSN
    ChrisCoConuts
    Blog Entries

Ohboyohboyohboyohboyohboy

I never entered any LBP related contest before, but this caught my interest.
    Last edited by Coconuts; 09-30-2011 at 10:25 AM.

Land of Corrupt Bits (F4F)
    Prologue
    Part 1 - Through The Mess & Chaos

LittleBigBuilders Founder ZeusInTraining's Avatar
    Level completed: 16%, Points required for next Level: 505
    Created Blog entry 100 Experience Points Your First Group 250 Experience Points 500 Experience Points
    PSN
    ZeusInTraining
    Blog Entries

Are we allowed The Incredibles?
    ZeusInTraining -
    LBP.me

New-ish Level!
    LBPC Thread
    LBP.me Link

Sackperson Lieutenant
    Level completed: 76%, Points required for next Level: 411
    Overall activity: 10.0%
    Your First Group 10000 Experience Points 5000 Experience Points 1000 Experience Points 500 Experience Points
    PSN
    Jggfij
    Blog Entries

@Zeus, yes, The Incredibles is in the list.

Also, please read well the rules.
    There's much more written in them and much less restriction than you see...
    For example what does "Potential Mix" means?

Also we're here to help you with your doubts...just, please take the time to read the other contenders' questions and our answers and not ask the same thing thrice

Sig by FJT

Seems like pretty fun comp!!

NEW LEVEL OUT: Trouble in the Garden Lbp.me

The Console Wars! Dragonvarsity's Avatar
    Level completed: 10%, Points required for next Level: 1,171
    7 days registered 30 days registered 100 Experience Points 250 Experience Points 500 Experience Points
    PSN
    Dragonvarsity-
    Blog Entries

A great and unique theme for this month's contest guys. Now you guys say you have up to 15 minutes for it, since you include gameplay as a thing you'll be judging, I'm guessing you don't mean a 15 minute movie at max, and you said cutscenes aren't necessary. Are you saying average time of finishing the level should take no more than 15 minutes?

100 Experience Points 7 days registered 250 Experience Points 500 Experience Points Created Blog entry
    PSN
    rialrees
    Blog Entries

Levels should be long enough to keep the judges entertained for 15 minutes max (note that levels don't NEED to be 15 minutes!).
    Maximum 15 minutes, but doesnt have to be fifteen

7 days registered 30 days registered 100 Experience Points 250 Experience Points 500 Experience Points
    PSN
    Dragonvarsity-
    Blog Entries

Okay, so 15 or less. By the way, hope it's okay if I suggest a few others to add to the list of what you can make a dark recreation for. I'm just curious if these are allowed aswell.

1. Lady and the Tramp
    2. Sleeping Beauty
    3. Alice in Wonderland

11. Thanks!

Sackperson Lieutenant
    Level completed: 76%, Points required for next Level: 411
    Overall activity: 10.0%
    Your First Group 10000 Experience Points 5000 Experience Points 1000 Experience Points 500 Experience Points
    PSN
    Jggfij
    Blog Entries

We've given a "Potential Mix", though everyone can do as they see fit and exploit their skills.
    Also gameplay must be platforming means that what you play has not to be top down view.

Sig by FJT

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonvarsity View Post
    Okay, so 15 or less. By the way, hope it's okay if I suggest a few others to add to the list of what you can make a dark recreation for. I'm just curious if these are allowed aswell.

1. Lady and the Tramp
    2. Sleeping Beauty
    3. Alice in Wonderland
    Thank you for your suggestions. We thought long about which movies to include and the list you see is the list creators must work with. Disney has a massive library and we really wanted to narrow it down as much as possible. I am confident that each creator will be able to find one they like from the list provided and don't forget this:

Feel free to make use of cameos, we know there are lots of cool Disney characters out there and if you can find a creative way to add them into your story then all the better!
    I use Feedback4Feedback

Published Levels: Pulse - 218 - The Legion - Out of Africa

New Release: The Rose Garden

PSN
    Dragonvarsity-
    Blog Entries

Oh okay, I was just making sure. But you're right, Alice in Wonderland and Sleeping Beauty both already have a dark twist on them in some ways

A theme around Disney? Very unexpected indeed. Love how you guys put the effort into these contests, this one particularly has an original story behind it which really gives creators more to work with.

Anyhow, I won't say I'm entering as I've done so 3 times in past contests and always seem to drop out within 2 weeks, but hopefully I can get something done.

Sackperson Sergeant fumetsusozo's Avatar
    Level completed: 95%, Points required for next Level: 56
    7 days registered Created Album pictures 100 Experience Points 250 Experience Points 30 days registered
    PSN
    fumetsusozo
    Blog Entries

Disney themed contest?... Hmm... Pass!. At least I don't have to worry about wanting to enter this one.
    this'll give me some time to work on my other levels I've been failing to get done. *mew

Edit: what do the winners get anyways? A Pin/ maybe a crown again?
    just wondering as I just noticed It don't say very clearly what they get.
    Last edited by fumetsusozo; 09-30-2011 at 03:58 PM.
    Lets go on a fantastic Adventure!

Spoiler Spoiler - <-My LBP2 Levels->

PSN
    Dragonvarsity-
    Blog Entries

@fumetsusozo: Posted from shropshirelass on the LBPC4 Contest thread.

The good news, though, is that the update for the Move Pack will include some new secret pins one of which will be an LBPC contest winner pin. So for future contests (or at least until we are sure that the issues with Crown codes have been sorted), we will be offering the new super rare pin as the prize for the winner. Spaff confirmed to us only this afternoon that the pins will go live with the Move Pack and on that basis we felt we could carry on with the contests despite the problems with Crown codes.
    The otherparts of the post talks about how they had to stop giving crown codes starting with LBPC4 Contest. As you can see, they are still giving away a rare pin that was born with the Move Pack. Unless anything has changed regarding that since then, feel free to correct me on that, but I'm pretty sure it might continue like that for the time being.

Sackperson Sergeant fumetsusozo's Avatar
    Level completed: 95%, Points required for next Level: 56
    7 days registered Created Album pictures 100 Experience Points 250 Experience Points 30 days registered
    PSN
    fumetsusozo
    Blog Entries

Well that's fine. but I could not find where it said even pin for sure on here.
    not like I'm entering anyways, but I was just pointing that out It did not seem to say was all. *mew
    Last edited by fumetsusozo; 09-30-2011 at 05:07 PM.
    Lets go on a fantastic Adventure!

Spoiler Spoiler - <-My LBP2 Levels->

LBPCentral Spotlight Crew LBPC Contest Crew shropshirelass's Avatar
    Level completed: 52%, Points required for next Level: 681
    Overall activity: 27.0%
    7 days registered 5000 Experience Points 1000 Experience Points 500 Experience Points 250 Experience Points
    PSN
    shropshire-lass

The Rules for this contest mention the possibility of a Crown as a prize as well as a pin. This is because the results won't be known until mid to late November and we're hopeful that the issues with Crown codes will have been resolved by then. We assume that the other Crown Contests running at the moment are operating on this basis too. It's a case of watch this space really.

PSN
    Dragonvarsity-
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by fumetsusozo
    Well that's fine. but I could not find where it said even pin for sure on here.
    not like I'm entering anyways, but I was just pointing that out It did not seem to say was all. *mew
    Not a problem, looking over it myself, I can see that they aren't too clear on it in this contest's thread, but makes more sense now with shropshire's post. Thanks for clearing it up some more
    Last edited by Dragonvarsity; 09-30-2011 at 05:18 PM.

PSN
    rialrees
    Blog Entries

Okay I have a question:

Are we aiming to retell the original story, using a dark twist, or are we able to take it off on a tangent/omit sections/make a sequel or prequel/whatever?

As in, do we twist the actual plot, or can we lift the characters and write our own story for them?

22. Thanks!

Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 ... LastLast