BG1, PRELOAD BG2, PRELOAD

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 66
  1. #1

    Default Boss Battle 1: Gelulupas(Finished)

    It's been released! Thanks to everyone who provided feedback from the beta! Also a big thanks to Randofu for creating Netty's Logic Lesson, which are where all the AND and OR switches I used are from.

    Welcome to your first day on the job. You are Monster Hunter #128. Your first assignment is to take out a stray gelulupas who has gotten loose in Facility #16. Good luck.

    This level is the first of many levels from me. It consists of purely a boss fight. No platforming or puzzle-solving, you get to jump straight to the action. It features several new ideas for user-created content, as follows:

    • Boss Stage - As stated above, you get to jump straight to the action. But, I might add that this is most likely the most complex user-created monster out there. If anyone thinks I'm wrong, feel free to show me a level with a more complex one. The monster alone, with all of the machines needed to make it work, takes up nearly half the thermometer.
    • Optional Prizes - This means all prizes. While I'm not quite done adding prizes in yet, so far every prize is optional, and this includes the prize you get for acing the level. How can the aced level prize be optional? you might ask. Well, ace it and find out.
    • Randomness - Every time you fight the monster, the attack pattern will be different. Every time.
    • Paintinator Utilization - Have fun shooting everything you can!


    If that's not enough to make you want to play, then I don't know what will. However, that's not quite all I've got:

    • Development Area - If you can find it, then you will be treated with a behind-the-scenes look at the level.
    • Infinite Checkpoints - Hasn't been incorporated yet, but it will be as soon as I can figure it out.
    • Race! - Race to the highest score!
    • Copyable Level - The open level isn't copyable, but you may request to copy it here, and if I think you're trustworthy, I will give you a key to the copyable one.
    • Feedback4Feedback - This means if you give me some feedback, I will give you some in return. You must say more than "that was good/bad" tell me why you liked it or why you didn't like it, and how I could improve it. You must also tell me which level you want me to give feedback for.[/B]


    Now, if that's not enough to make you play it, I don't think anything ever will be. Are you sure you've ever played a community level?

    Edit: One more thing to make you want to play it. Video!

    [Watch YouTube Video]
    Last edited by BassDeluxe; 01-08-2009 at 10:56 PM.

  2. #2
    Nope! It's Chuck Testa Gilgamesh's Avatar
    Points: 45,563, Level: 66
    Level completed: 1%, Points required for next Level: 1,387
    Overall activity: 0%
    Your First Group 10000 Experience Points 5000 Experience Points 1000 Experience Points 500 Experience Points
    PSN
    Jirugameshi
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Montreal
    Posts
    2,671
    Blog Entries
    81

    Default

    Hey, finally managed to get to play the level. Between all the power outages and server 403 errors, I thought I would never get to play online.

    Good stuff overall, but of course, I think you want the bad/useful

    At some point, something fell on the boss I think, and it crushed his head, so for the end of the battle I had to fight a headless boss and part of it had fallen down from its head and stayed on the ground. I'm not entirely sure I understand what happened, but I don't think I caused it, it seems more like something on the ceiling fell on it.

    Another thing, I shot the boss all the way and it fell down and the door on the right opened, but the boss was still there on the ground. So I jumped on it and dragged it around a bit, then shot it a few more times and then it disappeared (or maybe it disappeared because I took its brain?), this seemed a bit odd.

    I think the paintinator health meters on the walls should take a bit fewer hits, and the one on the boss definitely needs to take fewer hits, near the end it felt more like a chore than a challenge.

    Speaking of challenge, I find that the rain of plasma balls, while intimidating, is much too easy to avoid. They always fire at the same spots and in the same time. If you had less plasma balls, but had them firing at random spots, I think this would definitely improve the challenge.

    I would also suggest adding a camera zone just to zoom out the entire arena. I think we lose out on a lot of detail when we can barely see 3 feet in front of us with the default game view.

    And last but not least, I think the boss would look a lot better if some parts of it were animated, such as the tail, legs and head. The boss looks really nice but it was a bit disappointing that it felt more like a statue than a living animal.

    That's what I see and what I suggest anyway, hope it helps.

    Midnight Revenge

    SackMech II
    Training

    SackMech I
    Trailer | Mission 0 | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7

  3. #3

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Gilgamesh View Post
    At some point, something fell on the boss I think, and it crushed his head, so for the end of the battle I had to fight a headless boss and part of it had fallen down from its head and stayed on the ground. I'm not entirely sure I understand what happened, but I don't think I caused it, it seems more like something on the ceiling fell on it.
    I'll have to look into that. Strange...What phase of the battle was it?

    Quote Originally Posted by Gilgamesh View Post
    Another thing, I shot the boss all the way and it fell down and the door on the right opened, but the boss was still there on the ground. So I jumped on it and dragged it around a bit, then shot it a few more times and then it disappeared (or maybe it disappeared because I took its brain?), this seemed a bit odd.
    This is intentional, but in the final version it'll be explained somewhat. Basically, you defeated the boss, but you get a choice as to whether or not you want to kill it off or not. If you shoot it one more time at that point, the brain will be popped.

    Quote Originally Posted by Gilgamesh View Post
    I think the paintinator health meters on the walls should take a bit fewer hits, and the one on the boss definitely needs to take fewer hits, near the end it felt more like a chore than a challenge.
    Alright, I'll lower them.

    Quote Originally Posted by Gilgamesh View Post
    Speaking of challenge, I find that the rain of plasma balls, while intimidating, is much too easy to avoid. They always fire at the same spots and in the same time. If you had less plasma balls, but had them firing at random spots, I think this would definitely improve the challenge.
    I feel the same way but wasn't sure others would. I'll look into doing this.

    Quote Originally Posted by Gilgamesh View Post
    I would also suggest adding a camera zone just to zoom out the entire arena. I think we lose out on a lot of detail when we can barely see 3 feet in front of us with the default game view.
    I was planning on doing this but I was going to wait for the polishing stage.

    Quote Originally Posted by Gilgamesh View Post
    And last but not least, I think the boss would look a lot better if some parts of it were animated, such as the tail, legs and head. The boss looks really nice but it was a bit disappointing that it felt more like a statue than a living animal.
    I'll try to do it but I'm not sure what part should be animated. The legs shouldn't just waggle around, right? Hmm...

    Quote Originally Posted by Gilgamesh View Post
    That's what I see and what I suggest anyway, hope it helps.
    Sure does, thanks.

    In theory one is aware that the earth revolves, but in practice one does not perceive it, the ground upon which one treads seems not to move, and one can live undisturbed. So it is with Time in one's life. ~Marcel Proust, The Past Recaptured, 1927

  4. #4
    Nope! It's Chuck Testa Gilgamesh's Avatar
    Points: 45,563, Level: 66
    Level completed: 1%, Points required for next Level: 1,387
    Overall activity: 0%
    Your First Group 10000 Experience Points 5000 Experience Points 1000 Experience Points 500 Experience Points
    PSN
    Jirugameshi
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Montreal
    Posts
    2,671
    Blog Entries
    81

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BassDeluxe View Post
    I'll try to do it but I'm not sure what part should be animated. The legs shouldn't just waggle around, right? Hmm...
    Well, the tail needs to be animated for sure, as does the neck and/or head. Just having some movement, even if it's barely noticeable, should make a world of difference. I would suggest editing a copy of the boss somewhere instead of directly editing the one in the level, this way you can experiment more freely and correct mistakes as you see them.

    Midnight Revenge

    SackMech II
    Training

    SackMech I
    Trailer | Mission 0 | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7

  5. #5
    Sackperson Private

    PSN
    NinjaMicWZ
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Salisbury, MA
    Posts
    2,466
    Blog Entries
    5

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Gilgamesh View Post
    And last but not least, I think the boss would look a lot better if some parts of it were animated, such as the tail, legs and head. The boss looks really nice but it was a bit disappointing that it felt more like a statue than a living animal.

    That's what I see and what I suggest anyway, hope it helps.
    That's pretty much what I was going to say... I know that the emitting of a complex moving object can really eat up space, but still. The visual design of the boss is very nice, and I compare it to a detailed ms paint drawing - the same way you construct using lines, so I know it wasn't easy to do. I like it alot. The spell casting was very neat, and did give a feeling of being overwhelmed by power. I think you should make the ring around the boss skinnier to look more like a simple barrier of force or energy - just a design suggestion.

    Also - I didn't like not being able to see the boss. You should attach a wide camera zone to it, even on the emitters. Not having a camera creates challenge and makes the way he teleports and appears/disappears without notice more blatant, but you could do the camera and maybe up the ante on plasma balls to make up for it.

    Not sure about the motif and textures, but the ride in is nice, the fireplace is a good starting point for a theme, and the double plank doors are awesome.

  6. #6

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by NinjaMicWZ View Post
    That's pretty much what I was going to say... I know that the emitting of a complex moving object can really eat up space, but still. The visual design of the boss is very nice, and I compare it to a detailed ms paint drawing - the same way you construct using lines, so I know it wasn't easy to do. I like it alot. The spell casting was very neat, and did give a feeling of being overwhelmed by power. I think you should make the ring around the boss skinnier to look more like a simple barrier of force or energy - just a design suggestion.

    Also - I didn't like not being able to see the boss. You should attach a wide camera zone to it, even on the emitters. Not having a camera creates challenge and makes the way he teleports and appears/disappears without notice more blatant, but you could do the camera and maybe up the ante on plasma balls to make up for it.

    Not sure about the motif and textures, but the ride in is nice, the fireplace is a good starting point for a theme, and the double plank doors are awesome.
    Thanks for the feedback. I'm actually about to add some sort of a camera system, since it is quite needed. And don't worry about my thermometer, I haven't even managed to fill it halfway yet.

    And yes, the boss design was pretty tough. Small things are a lot harder to make detailed than big things, sadly. I may very well make the rings smaller - I didn't really think about those while I was making them.

    I also think I've figured a good way to emit the plasma balls, let me know if something here wouldn't work. I was thinking I could have a gun type thing in the back layer constantly swiveling back and forth, and whenever the boss spawns, it would fire a few shots into the front layer. I can't spot anything wrong with that, so I think that's probably what I'll implement.

    Oh, and on a side note, I just earned the celebrity trophy. Woo!

    In theory one is aware that the earth revolves, but in practice one does not perceive it, the ground upon which one treads seems not to move, and one can live undisturbed. So it is with Time in one's life. ~Marcel Proust, The Past Recaptured, 1927

  7. #7
    Junior Sackperson Neverynnal's Avatar
    Points: 10,403, Level: 30
    Level completed: 76%, Points required for next Level: 147
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    7 days registered 5000 Experience Points 1000 Experience Points 500 Experience Points 250 Experience Points
    PSN
    Neverynnal
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Alberta, Canada
    Posts
    391

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BassDeluxe View Post
    Oh, and on a side note, I just earned the celebrity trophy. Woo!
    Gratz!

    Alrighty, a quick review on your beta then:

    Pros

    -I loved the description even before the level started haha! :P Love the idea behind it and it would be a lot of fun to expand on!

    -The animation on the boss was great. You put some really detailed work into it as mentioned above.

    -I like how the beast has weakspots rather than being able to shoot him anywhere to hurt him. All the better that the weakspots were clearly shown with the lightning effect.

    -Loved the randomness of the fight. Great work on this!

    Cons

    - As aformentioned, we need to be able to see the boss while in flight or it's completely non-epic. A good camera angle will fix this obviously.

    - The one event where a ton of sponge drops onto the level, squishing the sackboy is really lacking. Maybe use colored sponge shot down with some linear velocity while having him shoot as well?

    - The 2 side panels to take down his shield need to be more visible (camera angle), and personally I think you need to cut the amount of paint needed to destroy them in half. I could destroy the one shield before the fight began, and the other I could find a safe spot, chill out there and fire away. Finger was dead tired afterwards lol

    - The checkpoint right before the door to the boss didn't work at the first few stages of the fight. Not sure if this is intentional or not, but I recommend you put a checkpoint closer to the fight if it is indeed intentional.

    -When he's shooting the big balls of lightning, set the emitter so they disappear before the doors. I died a few times near the checkpoint because for some reason the doors stayed open and I got zapped upon respawning.


    Other than that, you got something that could potentially be a lot of fun! Look forward to the final version
    Levels: I Take part in the F4F system!
    SEMINAL GEMINI Thread
    Good or Evil?: A Knight's Tale Thread
    A Knight's Tale (Part 2A): Ranaku's Awakening Thread

  8. #8

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Neverynnal View Post
    - As aformentioned, we need to be able to see the boss while in flight or it's completely non-epic. A good camera angle will fix this obviously.
    I've addressed this and if you play again(I've just republished), you can see it in effect.

    Quote Originally Posted by Neverynnal View Post
    - The one event where a ton of sponge drops onto the level, squishing the sackboy is really lacking. Maybe use colored sponge shot down with some linear velocity while having him shoot as well?
    I don't quite understand what you mean. Having who shoot and why should the sponge be colored?

    Quote Originally Posted by Neverynnal View Post
    - The 2 side panels to take down his shield need to be more visible (camera angle), and personally I think you need to cut the amount of paint needed to destroy them in half. I could destroy the one shield before the fight began, and the other I could find a safe spot, chill out there and fire away. Finger was dead tired afterwards lol
    That's in the level now. All of it Oh, and you're no longer able to destroy the left one before the fight starts.

    Quote Originally Posted by Neverynnal View Post
    - The checkpoint right before the door to the boss didn't work at the first few stages of the fight. Not sure if this is intentional or not, but I recommend you put a checkpoint closer to the fight if it is indeed intentional.
    I think I've got it fixed now. Let me know if it still doesn't work(assuming you play again).

    Quote Originally Posted by Neverynnal View Post
    - When he's shooting the big balls of lightning, set the emitter so they disappear before the doors. I died a few times near the checkpoint because for some reason the doors stayed open and I got zapped upon respawning.
    Alright.

    Quote Originally Posted by Neverynnal View Post
    Other than that, you got something that could potentially be a lot of fun! Look forward to the final version
    Thanks!


    Oh, and check out this weird glitch I got earlier. I was to exit, discard changes, and go back and fix everything, but it was really weird.

    [Watch YouTube Video]
    Last edited by BassDeluxe; 12-30-2008 at 05:16 AM.

    In theory one is aware that the earth revolves, but in practice one does not perceive it, the ground upon which one treads seems not to move, and one can live undisturbed. So it is with Time in one's life. ~Marcel Proust, The Past Recaptured, 1927

  9. #9
    Junior Sackperson Neverynnal's Avatar
    Points: 10,403, Level: 30
    Level completed: 76%, Points required for next Level: 147
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    7 days registered 5000 Experience Points 1000 Experience Points 500 Experience Points 250 Experience Points
    PSN
    Neverynnal
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Alberta, Canada
    Posts
    391

    Default

    haha oh man if I had only waited a 15 minutes before playing this I would have played the updated version :P I'll be sure to play it again man, no worries. I'm glad you addressed some of the things mentioned!

    As for the falling sponge...was it supposed to happen? You had an event, I believe, that had a whole avalanche of snowflake sponge fall on the playing area that would dissipate after about 3 seconds after hitting the ground. I found it more annoying than anything, but it didn't happen in my second play which I found really wierd. I hope you know what I'm talking about? lol

    And that glitch happened to me after about 7 straight hours of straight creating...I have no idea what caused it
    Levels: I Take part in the F4F system!
    SEMINAL GEMINI Thread
    Good or Evil?: A Knight's Tale Thread
    A Knight's Tale (Part 2A): Ranaku's Awakening Thread

  10. #10

    Default

    Yeah, that was on purpose. The boss has three stages. The first stage has the falling snow. The second has a death ray. The third has the huge bubble things. Did you perhaps kill one of the generators before he got to the secondary attack the second time? That would cause the falling snow to not happen if you did.

    In theory one is aware that the earth revolves, but in practice one does not perceive it, the ground upon which one treads seems not to move, and one can live undisturbed. So it is with Time in one's life. ~Marcel Proust, The Past Recaptured, 1927

  11. #11

    Default

    i played the level and my comments are very similar to the first responder , i wanted to post because of the glitch ! i have had that too ! mine was like half my boss was gone in perpetual smokyness or traces.. it wouldt stop and some stuff look like a chrome and gold plasma... similar to your bug ALSO after 7 or 8 hours of work...

    is unplugging the ps3 from the net less buggy when creating ? i noticed the ps3 always sends your moves infos to the server...

  12. #12
    Junior Sackperson Neverynnal's Avatar
    Points: 10,403, Level: 30
    Level completed: 76%, Points required for next Level: 147
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    7 days registered 5000 Experience Points 1000 Experience Points 500 Experience Points 250 Experience Points
    PSN
    Neverynnal
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Alberta, Canada
    Posts
    391

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BassDeluxe View Post
    Yeah, that was on purpose. The boss has three stages. The first stage has the falling snow. The second has a death ray. The third has the huge bubble things. Did you perhaps kill one of the generators before he got to the secondary attack the second time? That would cause the falling snow to not happen if you did.
    Yeah that may have been the case man. I'll play it again today.

    EDIT: Okay I played it again today and it's way better than when I played last night (before you made the changes.) Just a few things:

    -The last stage is too easy. The plasma balls completely miss the sackboy as you shoot Gelulupas from below, making it an easy kill. Maybe have him moving around in camera range shooting his big plasma balls. If this makes it too difficult for people add another double checkpoint before the fight.

    -I was thinking, and this is just my personal opinion, that a couple tiny rockets on the lowest boost would create a smoke around him as he moves around, giving it a real cool look. This could even substitute moving legs/head, and give it the illusion of flight. Just a personal suggestion and I'm sure you have your own ideas about what he should look like.

    Altogether a really cool boss though! Great work Bass
    Last edited by Neverynnal; 12-30-2008 at 08:11 PM.
    Levels: I Take part in the F4F system!
    SEMINAL GEMINI Thread
    Good or Evil?: A Knight's Tale Thread
    A Knight's Tale (Part 2A): Ranaku's Awakening Thread

  13. #13

    Default

    My level has been released! Make sure to check it out. The OP has been updated with the details.

    And if anyone knows how to set up a good infinite checkpoint system, I'd greatly apreciate you telling me.

    -The last stage is too easy. The plasma balls completely miss the sackboy as you shoot Gelulupas from below, making it an easy kill. Maybe have him moving around in camera range shooting his big plasma balls. If this makes it too difficult for people add another double checkpoint before the fight.
    I've added another plasma ball in. It reduces the safe area's size considerably. Having him move around would be extremely super complicated.

    -I was thinking, and this is just my personal opinion, that a couple tiny rockets on the lowest boost would create a smoke around him as he moves around, giving it a real cool look. This could even substitute moving legs/head, and give it the illusion of flight. Just a personal suggestion and I'm sure you have your own ideas about what he should look like.
    I tried this today, and aside from breaking my level(quite literally), it didn't really look too good either. Thanks anyways.
    Last edited by BassDeluxe; 12-31-2008 at 05:54 AM.

    In theory one is aware that the earth revolves, but in practice one does not perceive it, the ground upon which one treads seems not to move, and one can live undisturbed. So it is with Time in one's life. ~Marcel Proust, The Past Recaptured, 1927

  14. #14
    License to krill. Whalio Cappuccino's Avatar
    Points: 30,124, Level: 53
    Level completed: 34%, Points required for next Level: 726
    Overall activity: 0%
    7 days registered 10000 Experience Points 5000 Experience Points 1000 Experience Points 500 Experience Points
    PSN
    Whaale
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    San Jose, California
    Posts
    5,250

    Default

    Playing it right now BassDeluxe, I'll give you my feedback when I'm done, and since I don't really have a level I need feedback in return for. It's basically just feedback. No need for returning it...

    ------------------------------

    Ok, just finished the level. Took me two tries, got it on the second try after noticing I can go inside the holes the explosions make.

    Anyways, wow, this is an awesome boss here BassDeluxe. I really like the speed the boss has, the emitting it into several places while shooting randomized plasma balls is definately a plus.

    I really liked the fact that you give the player a sense of what he is suppose to do at the start, I immediately was told something was powering his sheild so I immediately knew to start shooting those two things on the sides. Bravo for that as well.

    Some suggestions though, when you kill the boss, he sometimes ends up in an odd way, where it is impossible to kill or pass him. An easy fix is to have it so when the boss dies, A sponge comes down, if you don't want to fully kill the beast.

    I was also like " Omg wow!" When I went to the top and saw the behind the scenes action. You really took time into making this boss and It sure as hell shows.

    I really don't have any complaints, the boss was a bit difficult to kill after getting the sheild down but that's a plus in my book. Plus, having such an awesome boss, it should be hard!

    Anyways, like I mentioned in my comment for the level.

    5 Stars, Hearted both the level and you. Congrats on a wonderful boss! ( not really a level )

  15. #15

    Default

    Thanks for all the positive feedback Whaaaaale.

    That's a good idea with the sponge though, I may very well add that in tomorrow. It almost always is possible to get over the boss. Sometimes it requires WAY too much work though.

    I still want to change that falling sponge section though. It just doesn't really feel right. Plus it's annoying. Problem is I really can't think of anything else. This level stole all my creative juices.

    Edit: I just noticed what you meant by the holes the explosions make. That thought never occured to me during the level. That's brilliant thinking mate, and it removes the problem I had with the ending being a bit too hard.

    In theory one is aware that the earth revolves, but in practice one does not perceive it, the ground upon which one treads seems not to move, and one can live undisturbed. So it is with Time in one's life. ~Marcel Proust, The Past Recaptured, 1927

  16. #16
    License to krill. Whalio Cappuccino's Avatar
    Points: 30,124, Level: 53
    Level completed: 34%, Points required for next Level: 726
    Overall activity: 0%
    7 days registered 10000 Experience Points 5000 Experience Points 1000 Experience Points 500 Experience Points
    PSN
    Whaale
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    San Jose, California
    Posts
    5,250

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BassDeluxe View Post
    Thanks for all the positive feedback Whaaaaale.

    That's a good idea with the sponge though, I may very well add that in tomorrow. It almost always is possible to get over the boss. Sometimes it requires WAY too much work though.

    I still want to change that falling sponge section though. It just doesn't really feel right. Plus it's annoying. Problem is I really can't think of anything else. This level stole all my creative juices.
    Yeah, that really ruins it. Forgot to add that, I seriously freaked out when it happened and I thought I was suppose to like jump through and do something totally epic, but tends out that I got smushed and one of the platforms broke. What you can do is. Have it so the monster does some incredibley huge roar! Then a bunch of plasma balls just start flying down, and you have to take cover. You would need like 10 or so of those plasma shooting things on your ceiling though. Or something of that sort. I'm just trying to get your creative juices flowing.

    If you don't mind me asking, why was that part even put in the level?

  17. #17

    Default

    I put it in because at first I figured it'd be a good hazard, but then when it was implemented it wasn't really hazardous at all, and it was just annoying because it's too long. Problem is, I can't shorten it because doing so would change the entire fight. If I could, I'd like to substitute something in that makes good use of the platforms. I'm going to brainstorm while I go to sleep.

    -------------

    I've just updated the level. Here's the list of new things:

    - Sponge swing to help you get over the boss after you defeat him.
    - INFINITE CHECKPOINTS
    - Decorated Scoreboard
    - I achieved the maximum possible score. HAHA

    In theory one is aware that the earth revolves, but in practice one does not perceive it, the ground upon which one treads seems not to move, and one can live undisturbed. So it is with Time in one's life. ~Marcel Proust, The Past Recaptured, 1927

  18. #18

    Default

    Ok, I just finished playing it, and it was a great fight. I love the aesthetic, very otherworldly. It was tough, but I felt like I had accomplished something when I won, which is good.

    Now I'll move on to my suggestions.

    1. The infinite checkpoint seems kind of buggy. The first time I played the level I didn't know it was an infinite checkpoint, and I had to restart because one time I didn't activate the checkpoint when a new one was created. The second time I played, I made sure to run back and forth around the checkpoint to get it to work, but it would be nice if the player didn't have to think about it.

    2. I agree the falling blocks are kind of lame. In fact the entire time the platforms are there, all I do is hide under them and shoot. Exchanging that part for something that actually required the player to get on top of the platforms would be cool. Maybe some fire or gas erupting from the ground or something.

    3.The last section is very frustrating. When he is shooting all the little pellets from above, it is fun and doable. However, when he is shooting the large energy balls, it is either really easy, because you are in the safe spot, or impossible if you are not. There is no way to get to the safe spot without being there before he starts shooting this big balls, and this drove me nuts. Basically if you are not close enough to him to get shots off, there is no way to get closer until he goes up in the air again, so I would have to just wait it out which was kinda lame.

    I hope all that made sense.
    Last edited by Walter-Kovacs; 12-31-2008 at 09:45 PM.

  19. #19

    Default

    First of all, thanks for the great feedback.

    Quote Originally Posted by Walter-Kovacs View Post
    1. The infinite checkpoint seems kind of buggy. The first time I played the level I didn't know it was an infinite checkpoint, and I had to restart because one time I didn't activate the checkpoint when a new one was created. The second time I played, I made sure to run back and forth around the checkpoint to get it to work, but it would be nice if the player didn't have to think about it.
    I thought I had got it to work ok, but I guess not. I'll see what I can do.

    Quote Originally Posted by Walter-Kovacs View Post
    2. I agree the falling blocks are kind of lame. In fact the entire time the platforms are there, all I do is hide under them and shoot. Exchanging that part for something that actually required the player to get on top of the platforms would be cool. Maybe some fire or gas erupting from the ground or something.
    Here's what I was thinking for this section. First, a layer of gas would cover the bottom, so you would have to be on the platforms. Then, he would begin shooting at the two different platforms, about 10 plasma balls at one, then ten at the other. This way, you would have to move around. How does that sound?

    Quote Originally Posted by Walter-Kovacs View Post
    3.The last section is very frustrating. When he is shooting all the little pellets from above, it is fun and doable. However, when he is shooting the large energy balls, it is either really easy, because you are in the safe spot, or impossible if you are not. There is no way to get to the safe spot without being there before he starts shooting this big balls, and this drove me nuts. Basically if you are not close enough to him to get shots off, there is no way to get closer until he goes up in the air again, so I would have to just wait it out which was kinda lame.
    I'm probably gonna rework that section so you can get through, but it won't be easy.

    In theory one is aware that the earth revolves, but in practice one does not perceive it, the ground upon which one treads seems not to move, and one can live undisturbed. So it is with Time in one's life. ~Marcel Proust, The Past Recaptured, 1927

  20. #20
    Junior Sackperson Neverynnal's Avatar
    Points: 10,403, Level: 30
    Level completed: 76%, Points required for next Level: 147
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    7 days registered 5000 Experience Points 1000 Experience Points 500 Experience Points 250 Experience Points
    PSN
    Neverynnal
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Alberta, Canada
    Posts
    391

    Default

    My only qualm with having the floor covered with gas is the player has no way of seeing it coming. A queue of sorts would be neccessary. Plus if you die, you have to wait at the checkpoint for it to go away (just like the falling sponge). You could use the gas, just make sure it's possible to reach the platforms again if you die.

    Also I was thinking...what about implementing a timer on the boss fight? It would be a great way of getting a point system going, because from what I saw from the last fight was no possible way of attaining points.

    Since your participating in the F4F, could I get you to review Knight's Tale: Ranaku's Awakening? Thanks m8.
    Levels: I Take part in the F4F system!
    SEMINAL GEMINI Thread
    Good or Evil?: A Knight's Tale Thread
    A Knight's Tale (Part 2A): Ranaku's Awakening Thread

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •