BG1, PRELOAD BG2, PRELOAD

Page 1 of 16 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    LBPCentral Contest Crew Royal High Alchemist Pookachoo's Avatar
    Level completed: 96%, Points required for next Level: 41
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    100 Experience Points 7 days registered Created Album pictures 30 days registered 250 Experience Points
    PSN
    Pookachoo
    Blog Entries

Default LBPC Contest #9 - Locomotion Commotion

The publishing window is now closed
    Thanks to all who've entered, we look forward to playing your levels.

Hiya Sacks and Libits!
    Looooooooooooooong time no see, huh?
    We're the Contest Crew, back from slumber, back with full force.
    *roll drums*
    We want to introduce you our new, tireless blood, the awesomeness of SpaceMonkey187, Missi_Cat, and Pookachoo!!!
    So, the Contest Crew has its gears in place again, but...wait, what's this noise?

CLICK...RUMBLE...WHIR...

Gears are turning, pistons are pumping and the whole of Craftworld is in motion. It’s time for all you dream builders and engineers to take your pencils from behind your ears, sit down at a drawing board and design levels full of fantastical machinery, worlds of perpetual motion, glorious humming, spinning, continuously evolving chain reactions. Amaze us with feats of engineering; make us gasp at your Rube Goldberg-esque inventions, shining, well oiled clockwork or magnificent steampunk contraptions.

In this month’s contest we want you to create a motion oriented level for your sackperson to navigate.
    The catch? All obstacles must be influenced by each other starting from a singular power source.

An example to help explain the concept: A singular motor bolt turns a cog which turns a series of other cogs, platforms connected to the cogs allow for player progression while causing constant level motion as they will always be moving. The cogs could then transform into a piston sequence (like a steam engine) which could in turn power further obstacles. However don't think your just limited to spinning things, the more creative the locomotion the better.

It must be a playable level so we don't want to just put down our controller and watch!

Building requirements

• The level must start with either a motor bolt, wobble bolt, piston or winch which will act as a power source.
    • You may only have one power source in the level.
    • The power source must be set to "visible".
    • The portion of the level including the moving mechanics must be visible at all times.
    • All additional obstacles need to be powered kinetically through chain reaction.
    • All interactive obstacles need to be in some kind of motion at all times.
    • The player cannot directly interact with buttons or switches, but may use any power-ups to do so from a distance.
    • Every power-up is allowed, though we request the Creatinator to be equipped only with the standard projectiles
    • No level links
    • As a guideline levels should be 5-10 minutes long and, as always, we favour quality over quantity.
    • Because of the very nature of the contest requirements, it will be frowned on if you emit/destroy the power source.
    • No controllinators / player controlled Sackbots
    • No mid-level cutscenes. You may have a short intro cutscene.

How to enter

• Build a level before the deadline that fits the contest description and building requirements.
    • Include the text “(LBPC9)” in the title of the level. Don’t forget to add things like a nice looking badge, some tags, and a concise level description.
    • Publish your levels in the 10 day period between 12.00AM GMT on 22nd October and 11:59PM GMT on 31st October 2012. Please note this is a change from previous LBPC contest rules.
    • Post LBP.me links to your levels in this thread, so we’re sure not to miss them!
    • After the deadline, the judges will grab some motion sickness pills and select the best levels based on the scoring criteria below. The creator of the best level will be awarded a Crown and rare LBPC pin!

Judging criteria

Levels will be judged according to the following criteria:
    • Gameplay – Here, we’re scoring things like fun factor, balanced difficulty and freedom from glitches and bugs.
    • Originality – How innovative is your creation? How well did you take the source material to create something unique yet still have it be recognizable?
    • Visuals – This is all about how good your level looks. We like detail and lighting and special effects, but try to avoid graphics-induced lag!
    • Audio – Sound effects and music are a great way to turn your level into an addictive and immersive experience.

Rules and Regulations

• This contest is open to all ages and all regions. That means anyone can participate!
    • All entries must be playable in LittleBigPlanet 2
    • You can only enter one level. Duplicate entries will result in disqualification.
    • The contest officially begins on 26th September 2012 at 12:00am GMT. Previously published entries will not be accepted.
    • Levels must be published during the 10 day publishing window between 22nd and 31st October with “(LBPC9)” in their title. After the final deadline on 31st October, do not republish. Levels republished after the deadline will be disqualified. Exceptions may be made for quick fixes with respect to level titles, description, badges, or major game-breaking fixes, but only with the prior consent of the contest crew. If you need to request an edit, please post in this thread and send me a PM.
    • Levels must be your own creation. Feel free to take inspiration from the world around you and from other levels, but don’t copy someone else’s work outright! That’s just not cool….
    • Last but not least, have fun, play fair and respect other creators!

Also a little Handy FAQ for you all

Q: Can I have my friends play test a locked beta level before the publishing window?
    A: Yes. The beta level must remain locked, and should be deleted and replaced with your official contest entry during the publishing window. Your official entry must have a publishing date within the window.

Q: Can I enter a previously published level?
    A: No.

Q: Can I enter a level I already have on my moon, but hasn't yet been published?
    A: Yes.

Q: Once I've published my entry, can I republish it?
    A: You can republish it as many times before the deadline as you like, but not after the deadline.

Q: When will the judging begin?
    A: The judges may take a look at some levels prior to the deadline, but the judging proper will not begin until after the deadline.

Q: When will the results be posted?
    A: We can't really give any accurate answer to this, but it will be no more than a month after the judging begins.

Q: Does every single part of the level have to be constantly moving?
    A: No. Every contraption must be moving and powered through chain reaction by one original source. We do need to constantly be able to see the chain reaction taking place, and it should appear coherent and believable.

Newly Added FAQ About Building Requirements

Q: Does everything in the level have to be physically connected?
    A: No, we just need to see the cause and effect chain reaction powering the level. The way in which motion transfers between parts is entirely up to you.

Q: Can moving scenery have its own power source?
    A: Yes, just make sure we can see that it's scenery and not part of the interactive mechanics.

Q: My power source is a Wobble Bolt, Winch, or Piston, and I want it to have a pause. Is that allowed?
    A: Yes, a constant power source with a build in pause in fine.

Q: Can I use In/Out Movers?
    A: Yes, if the movement is believable and justified by the mechanics of your level.

Q: Can I use Object and Material Tweakers to adjust weight and friction, etc?
    A: Yes

Q: Can I use Emitters?
    A: Yes, if they're believable. We don't want to see just plain infinite emitting, but you could for example have a container of bombs that continues to refill. Remember that we need to see the cause and effect.

Q: Can I have water in my level?
    A: Yes

Q: Instead of creating my own entry, can I help a friend?
    A: Yes, but only the creator who publishes the level may receive the prize.
    Good luck everyone!

Als_TheGamer
    Biorogue
    Dav1d0
    LittleBigDes
    Missi_Cat
    Pookachoo
    Psyntens
    Shadowriver
    Shropshirelass
    Spacemonkey187
    Last edited by Pookachoo; 11-01-2012 at 12:27 AM.

Looks like a tricky one! I may give it a go... if I ever put LBPV down.

LBP2 Levels
    /-/ Mm Pick! >>>Valley Folds<<< Mm Pick! /-/
    /-/ Spyro the Dragon - Castle Heights /-/

LBPVita Levels
    /-/ Space Blade /-/
    /-/ A Vita Christmas Countdown (Project) /-/

Everything must be connected from the beginning to the end? I can't create new motors or power sources for other parts of the level?

Also, does everything sackboy lands on have to be moving? Can I put a platform over something that is moving to walk over it?

LBPCentral Contest Crew LBPC Contest Crew ForgottenEnigma's Avatar
    Level completed: 35%, Points required for next Level: 593
    Overall activity: 84.0%
    7 days registered 100 Experience Points 250 Experience Points 30 days registered 500 Experience Points
    PSN
    ForgottenEnigma

Quote Originally Posted by Tynamite View Post
    Everything must be connected from the beginning to the end? I can't create new motors or power sources for other parts of the level?

Also, does everything sackboy lands on have to be moving? Can I put a platform over something that is moving to walk over it?
    You are correct, you may only have one power source for the whole level and everything your sackperson touches has to be moving

just read the rules

Quote Originally Posted by Dav1d0 View Post
    You are correct, you may only have one power source for the whole level and everything your sackperson touches has to be moving

just read the rules
    I'm just clarifying.

LBPCentral Spotlight Crew Everlasting Creativity yugnar's Avatar
    Level completed: 66%, Points required for next Level: 345
    Overall activity: 47.0%
    7 days registered 1000 Experience Points 500 Experience Points 250 Experience Points 100 Experience Points
    PSN
    yugnar
    Blog Entries

This is a really nice idea for a level! I'm sure there will be some pretty awesome and maybe even MM-pickable concepts coming out of this. Still, it is probably the hardest concept for the contests yet. Making something that fits the judging criteria and all of the limitations specified in the rules will make this quite a hard challenge. Still, I'm so glad these contests are back! Good luck everyone! I might give it a try...

My levels!

NEW! LBPK: Space Symphony (Spotlighted!): http://lbpk.me/v/w62o
    LBPV: (LBPC Eye Candy) Frozen Oblivion: http://vita.lbp.me/v/g6v5g
    LBPV: [VCC2] A Light in the Dark (Honourable mention!): http://vita.lbp.me/v/gvj8z
    LBPV: [LBPV1] Tilt Matters (Honourable Mention!): http://vita.lbp.me/v/eernv
    LBP2: Shifting Winds (Honourable Mention!): http://lbp.me/v/frv0dn
    LBPV: [VCC] The Factory of Wishes (Spotlighted!) http://vita.lbp.me/v/-vpd4

100 Experience Points 7 days registered Created Album pictures 30 days registered 250 Experience Points
    PSN
    Pookachoo
    Blog Entries

@yugnar - We did talk about whether this could be too challenging, but we have confidence in the talents of LBPC's creators!
    I've been to Comic-Con!

LBPCentral Spotlight Crew LBPC Spotlight Crew WESFUN's Avatar
    Level completed: 52%, Points required for next Level: 482
    Overall activity: 11.0%
    Your First Group 1000 Experience Points 500 Experience Points 250 Experience Points 100 Experience Points
    PSN
    WESFUN
    Blog Entries

question shouldnt the level start with an entrince gate just saying?

I HAS COOKIES!!!

Quote Originally Posted by WESFUN View Post
    question shouldnt the level start with an entrince gate just saying?
    O_o How else would you start the level?

Sackperson Sergeant fumetsusozo's Avatar
    Level completed: 62%, Points required for next Level: 419
    Overall activity: 28.0%
    7 days registered Created Album pictures 100 Experience Points 250 Experience Points 30 days registered
    PSN
    fumetsusozo
    Blog Entries

Err I think I'll more then likely pass on this contest. way to hard... and goodness it's even more limiting then LBPC1! and we basically only have one month to make which is a really complicated confusing level idea and at the same time need to do a great job at it! I Think I'll just stick to my normal levels i've been working on this past year. ohwell. :S *mew
    Lets go on a fantastic Adventure!

Spoiler Spoiler - <-My LBP2 Levels->

Your First Group 1000 Experience Points 500 Experience Points 250 Experience Points 100 Experience Points
    PSN
    WESFUN
    Blog Entries

question can we use a piston and a bolt if the pisoton is the power sorce?

also since there is only one power scorce can you use multipul power scrorces of the same kind?
    Last edited by WESFUN; 09-26-2012 at 12:40 AM.

I HAS COOKIES!!!

PSN
    Pookachoo
    Blog Entries

question can we use a piston and a bolt if the pisoton is the power sorce?

also since there is only one power scorce can you use multipul power scrorces of the same kind?
    If you use an ordinary Bolt (not Motor or Wobble) that doesn't count as a power source, so feel free to use a piston. You may use as many regular Bolts you want.

Only the one power source, everything must happen by chain reaction.
    I've been to Comic-Con!

I think SLS10 and I can whip up something hilarious for this.

Hilarious, not good. Also physics don't fail me now.
    My levels, helpfully categorized for your convenience:
    The Good - The Bad - The Weird - The Frustrating - The Pretty - The Mobile

LBPCentral Spotlight Crew LBPC Spotlight Crew fireblitz95's Avatar
    Level completed: 93%, Points required for next Level: 81
    Overall activity: 14.0%
    100 Experience Points 7 days registered 250 Experience Points 30 days registered 500 Experience Points
    PSN
    fireblitz95
    Blog Entries

Oh boy you guys really got me stumped on this one, I'll see what I can come up with.

"Stay positive, have fun, and enjoy yourself.
    Together, as a community, we will reach our goals."

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Also follow me on Twitter, @fireblitz95 for my occasional news, quotes, and level announcements.

PSN
    WESFUN
    Blog Entries

final question can we make a sackbot be the power sorce for example run on a wheel?

I HAS COOKIES!!!

Oh. My. Goodness.

I SOOOO want to enter this one! Question.. Are we allowed to help our friends with this? I know someone who will definitely enter this, and I kind of want to help him instead of making my own. It will be on his Earth, and any prizes that may be given to him will be his and his only, I just want to help out

Is that allowed?

Quote Originally Posted by Wolffy123 View Post
    Oh. My. Goodness.

I SOOOO want to enter this one! Question.. Are we allowed to help our friends with this? I know someone who will definitely enter this, and I kind of want to help him instead of making my own. It will be on his Earth, and any prizes that may be given to him will be his and his only, I just want to help out

Is that allowed?
    I'm not an official judge or anything, but I don't see how working with your friend is against the rules. It's not like they're watching you anyways. If it was against the rules, what's stopping you from jumping into create with them and not crediting you to keep it secret? It's impossible to make that a rule because it's not possible to regulate.

PSN
    Pookachoo
    Blog Entries

final question can we make a sackbot be the power sorce for example run on a wheel?
    let me check with the rest of the crew...

Quote Originally Posted by Wolffy123 View Post
    Oh. My. Goodness.

Is that allowed?
    You can help out, but the level should essentially be one person's creation.
    Play testing a locked beta level is a great way to help a friend before the publishing window.
    Last edited by Pookachoo; 09-26-2012 at 02:11 AM. Reason: misread question
    I've been to Comic-Con!

Eccentric SackGentleman Frinklebumper's Avatar
    Level completed: 44%, Points required for next Level: 449
    Overall activity: 0%
    7 days registered 1000 Experience Points 500 Experience Points 250 Experience Points 100 Experience Points
    PSN
    Frinklebumper

Ooh, this is definitely an interesting concept. I think I might have a go at this one!

I do have one question, though; Can decorative elements (things that don't effect the gameplay at all) in the level have their own individual "power source" (motor bolt, etc.)? Like if I wanted a spinning cloud or something in the background?

LBPCentral Spotlight Crew Kartavitalicious! Night Angel's Avatar
    Level completed: 7%, Points required for next Level: 844
    Overall activity: 41.0%

PSN
    NightAngel321
    Blog Entries

Great idea for a contest, and sounds very challenging! I'm going to see if I can enter this after the Film Festival.

"Staring at Craftworld and creating unfinished levels since 2008."
    ★| The Space Temples Saga (Vita) | ★Journey of the Cosmos★ |★

Page 1 of 16 1 2 3 ... LastLast