BG1, PRELOAD BG2, PRELOAD

Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: A little doubt.

  1. #1
    LBPCentral Spotlight CrewLBPCentral Spotlight Crew yugnar's Avatar
    Points: 42,302, Level: 63
    Level completed: 51%, Points required for next Level: 648
    Overall activity: 28.0%
    7 days registered 30 days registered 3 months registered 100 Experience Points 250 Experience Points
    PSN
    yugnar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Mexico
    Posts
    1,672
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default A little doubt.

    Just a little question that is bugging me:

    When I joined to the forum I always noticed that small message showing right below your username (e.g. Mine is right now "Junior Sackperson" if I am right). After some research I think I found that you can only change that title to a custom one after being thanked an "X" number of times. Can somebody tell me please how many times you should be thanked to get the ability to change that user title? I just can't find the exact number anywhere. Or is it... Secret?

    Also, what is the difference between "Reputation points" (the number that appears in Settings>Latest Reputation Received (X points in total)), and the actual number of times you've been thanked? For example I have 650 reputation points but just got a message saying I've been thanked 320 times and therefore I win some fancy stuff for my profile. Or is it a buggy bug?

    Thanks!




  2. #2

    Default

    Not sure the answer to your first question, but you get 2 rep points for thanks.

    HOWEVER, there USED to be a system where you could up vote/ down vote someone else's rep (indeed, this was before thanks). Basically, people could upvote a comment (it would be secret, i.e. no message below saying you were thanked), and the higher the rep of the giver, the higher the rep the one receieved. This was eventually supplemented and eventually replaced by the thanks system we have today.

    However, the rep people obtained before positive and negative rep was phased out is still in existence. For instance, I have 6729 rep, a number impossible with thanks due to it being +2 and thus my rep is forever odd, soemthing that will forever haunt me. But I wasn't repped 3364.5 times. Instead, I got rep before it, and the prior rep wasn't "Turned off" afterwards.

    Reason I say this is because I think your joindate was before postive repping was phased out. Therefore, WAY back in 2010, someone positive repped you and gave you 10 rep points. After this was replaced by thanks, you maintained the previous ten rep points and had your thanks added on to it.

    Does that make sense? Because I understood all that and it still confuses me.

    This statement is true.


  3. #3
    Sackperson Private Apple2012's Avatar
    Points: 29,704, Level: 52
    Level completed: 96%, Points required for next Level: 46
    Overall activity: 0%
    100 Experience Points 7 days registered 250 Experience Points 500 Experience Points 30 days registered
    PSN
    M3-457
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    The Piney Woods
    Posts
    1,060
    Blog Entries
    175

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by RockSauron View Post
    Not sure the answer to your first question, but you get 2 rep points for thanks.

    HOWEVER, there USED to be a system where you could up vote/ down vote someone else's rep (indeed, this was before thanks). Basically, people could upvote a comment (it would be secret, i.e. no message below saying you were thanked), and the higher the rep of the giver, the higher the rep the one receieved. This was eventually supplemented and eventually replaced by the thanks system we have today.

    However, the rep people obtained before positive and negative rep was phased out is still in existence. For instance, I have 6729 rep, a number impossible with thanks due to it being +2 and thus my rep is forever odd, soemthing that will forever haunt me. But I wasn't repped 3364.5 times. Instead, I got rep before it, and the prior rep wasn't "Turned off" afterwards.

    Reason I say this is because I think your joindate was before postive repping was phased out. Therefore, WAY back in 2010, someone positive repped you and gave you 10 rep points. After this was replaced by thanks, you maintained the previous ten rep points and had your thanks added on to it.

    Does that make sense? Because I understood all that and it still confuses me.
    I wonder why the negative reputation is turned off. Did it get turned off for the same reason why Update 1.12 removed the boos?

  4. #4

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Apple2012 View Post
    I wonder why the negative reputation is turned off. Did it get turned off for the same reason why Update 1.12 removed the boos?
    Pretty much, yeah, assuming that the reason was to destroy negativity. But Positive reputation based on how much rep you had stayed for a while longer, and coexisted with thanks for a while.

    This statement is true.

  5. #5
    Sackperson Private Apple2012's Avatar
    Points: 29,704, Level: 52
    Level completed: 96%, Points required for next Level: 46
    Overall activity: 0%
    100 Experience Points 7 days registered 250 Experience Points 500 Experience Points 30 days registered
    PSN
    M3-457
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    The Piney Woods
    Posts
    1,060
    Blog Entries
    175

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by RockSauron View Post
    Pretty much, yeah, assuming that the reason was to destroy negativity. But Positive reputation based on how much rep you had stayed for a while longer, and coexisted with thanks for a while.
    Or maybe people abused the negative reputation, thus leading to forum wars. Usually if a feature has conflict like that, it gets taken away.

    Oh, and yugnar, reputation points don't change the user title. The market had a feature where you can change your user title. Right now, it's been down much longer than blogs, but it should be fixed.
    Last edited by Apple2012; 01-07-2013 at 03:27 AM.

  6. #6
    LBPCentral Spotlight CrewLBPCentral Spotlight Crew yugnar's Avatar
    Points: 42,302, Level: 63
    Level completed: 51%, Points required for next Level: 648
    Overall activity: 28.0%
    7 days registered 30 days registered 3 months registered 100 Experience Points 250 Experience Points
    PSN
    yugnar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Mexico
    Posts
    1,672
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by RockSauron View Post
    Not sure the answer to your first question, but you get 2 rep points for thanks.

    HOWEVER, there USED to be a system where you could up vote/ down vote someone else's rep (indeed, this was before thanks). Basically, people could upvote a comment (it would be secret, i.e. no message below saying you were thanked), and the higher the rep of the giver, the higher the rep the one receieved. This was eventually supplemented and eventually replaced by the thanks system we have today.

    However, the rep people obtained before positive and negative rep was phased out is still in existence. For instance, I have 6729 rep, a number impossible with thanks due to it being +2 and thus my rep is forever odd, soemthing that will forever haunt me. But I wasn't repped 3364.5 times. Instead, I got rep before it, and the prior rep wasn't "Turned off" afterwards.

    Reason I say this is because I think your joindate was before postive repping was phased out. Therefore, WAY back in 2010, someone positive repped you and gave you 10 rep points. After this was replaced by thanks, you maintained the previous ten rep points and had your thanks added on to it.

    Does that make sense? Because I understood all that and it still confuses me.
    Ohhh yeah. That makes a lot of sense. I've been a quite veteran member here but didn't really became active until 6 months ago or so, so maybe I did got those rep. points in 2010 or before. Thanks for that excellent answer!

    Quote Originally Posted by Apple2012
    Oh, and yugnar, reputation points don't change the user title. The market had a feature where you can change your user title. Right now, it's been down much longer than blogs, but it should be fixed.
    Hmmm. In my not-very-deep investigation I did found this is true, the right-now-not-functional XP market allowed you this. Anyway, I'm pretty sure there is still a way to get those privileges. I think one is to get a donor status (I seriosuly'd love to, but not an option for me at the moment), or by getting X amount of thanks/reputation.




  7. #7
    Junior Sackperson gamerguy5432's Avatar
    Points: 23,936, Level: 47
    Level completed: 39%, Points required for next Level: 614
    Overall activity: 0%
    7 days registered 100 Experience Points 30 days registered 250 Experience Points 500 Experience Points
    PSN
    gamerguy5432
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Good question...
    Posts
    326
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default

    I'm pretty sure that this has nothing to do with your reputation points, but changes with the number of posts you make. At least I think thats how it worked for me.




    "If you always settle for second, you'll never settle for first." -Anonymous

  8. #8
    I am the Walpony? Neighh! Astrosimi's Avatar
    Points: 15,066, Level: 37
    Level completed: 27%, Points required for next Level: 584
    Overall activity: 0%

    PSN
    Astrosimi
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    The RainShine State!
    Posts
    1,768
    Blog Entries
    5

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by gamerguy5432 View Post
    I'm pretty sure that this has nothing to do with your reputation points, but changes with the number of posts you make. At least I think thats how it worked for me.
    Both are correct. Your cycle through preset user titles with more posts - you eventually gain the ability to customize it based on XP.

    Quote Originally Posted by Killian
    When I come to power, every Tuesday will be pancake Tuesday.
    Quote Originally Posted by George Harrison
    Rap music is just computerized crap. I listen to Top of the Pops and after three songs I feel like killing someone.
    Ultimate Bundle courtesy of Zwollie. Thanks man!

  9. Thanks!


Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •