BG1, PRELOAD BG2, PRELOAD

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Talking Splat Invaders Saga ** Republished ** [SPOTLIGHTED! IGN Pick!]

Concept: Mix a full-blown arcade feel with a sci-fi adventure

Features: 5 exciting arcade segments, a cow mini-game, a great story, and some memorable moments.

Okay, I got GREAT response from Splat Invaders Deluxe, but several authors wanted to see me expand the idea. I finally finished, and I definately think this game is a blast!

This game features several cool innovations, including a large shield protecting a nuclear core - in which each layer spins in a different direction.

If you are a fan of classic arcade games, you will LOVE this one.

Have fun! Let me know what you think.

(by the way, for the first 80 plays this game kept a 5 star rating - so it is definately worth your quarters!)

Give credit where credit is due: JonMartin had the idea for the part of having the floor rise so aliens are coming down on you. Aer0blue is the one who asked me to make the level bigger (from the original Splat Invaders Deluxe) and asked for a secret area containing cows.

Last edited by CCubbage; 05-18-2009 at 12:45 PM.
    F4F Participant
    Levels published: F4F: LIBERATOR - Spotlighted!!!! -, Vectroids - MM Picked!!! Spotlighted!!!! -, Sea Dragon -Spotlighted-, Roll out the Barrel! -Spotlighted-, Splat Invaders III: Insurrection - Spotlighted-, Destiny! -Spotlighted! MM Community pick!-, Vertigo! -Spotlighted-, Splat Invaders Saga -Spotlighted! IGN Pick!-, Splat Invaders II: The Caverns of Splat -Spotlighted!-, Tiger Woods Mini Golf -Spotlighted!-, Starship Troopers -Spotlighted!-

Pros: Pure AWESOME
    Cons: It doesnt go on forever : (

Pure awesome. hearted and all.
    Last edited by Morrinn3; 01-23-2009 at 04:53 AM.

3. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Morrinn3 View Post
    Pros: Pure AWESOME
    Cons: It doesnt go on forever : (

Pure awesome. hearted and all.
    Wow. Can I close and frame the topic now?

Of note, I did TRY to make it go on forever, but the thermo got the best of me (I think that big spinning wheel took about 30% away).
    F4F Participant
    Levels published: F4F: LIBERATOR - Spotlighted!!!! -, Vectroids - MM Picked!!! Spotlighted!!!! -, Sea Dragon -Spotlighted-, Roll out the Barrel! -Spotlighted-, Splat Invaders III: Insurrection - Spotlighted-, Destiny! -Spotlighted! MM Community pick!-, Vertigo! -Spotlighted-, Splat Invaders Saga -Spotlighted! IGN Pick!-, Splat Invaders II: The Caverns of Splat -Spotlighted!-, Tiger Woods Mini Golf -Spotlighted!-, Starship Troopers -Spotlighted!-

Only if you tell me what exactly I am supposed to do in the, hehe, Bovine anti-gravity area?
    I'm not understanding what I should do with the sandwich : /

Edit: Such a portal feeling at the end there ^^ I loves it

Level completed: 45%, Points required for next Level: 724
    Overall activity: 0%
    7 days registered 10000 Experience Points 5000 Experience Points 1000 Experience Points 500 Experience Points
    PSN
    Takelow
    Blog Entries

This level is GREAT!
    I had the chance to playtest it (Thank you Ccubbage for this privilege) and it is a treasure coming from 1980's!!!.
    Please, try it, and don't worry if at the end of the level you see on the screen something as "INSERT COINS"...

For the one that have already played the previous verions of the level (the Deluxe, am i wrong?), forgot what you have seen: The level could initially seem very close to the previous verion (Seems, because in reality, there was a lot of improvements), but the new part of the level is an incredible firework!

I will write some more detailed feedbacks and suggests in a couple of days

7. Thanks!

Morrin:

The "Bovine Gravity Chamber" is just a mini game. You were playing it correctly, but just need to keep hitting the button, grabbing the cows, and getting the points. There are 8 cows. It's a great way to get extra points.

Another hint: at the end of the game, grab the cow before he flies away.

Takelow:

Thanks for the great review, man! Means a lot coming from the author of "The Bearer"!
    F4F Participant

9. Thanks!

Level completed: 96%, Points required for next Level: 34
    Overall activity: 0%
    7 days registered 5000 Experience Points 1000 Experience Points 500 Experience Points 250 Experience Points
    PSN
    Marklin80

looks really cool, can't wait till i get to play this one

Looking forward to giving it a try soon.

So I played Splat Invaders Deluxe a couple of nights ago and thought it was really great, 5 stars and hearted! Then I saw you released this new version and played it last night, here are some thoughts (I will include any suggestions in brackets):

I really have to applaud you for nailing the look and feel of Space Invaders. I remember as a kid in the 80's going to this bowling alley where they had Space Invaders and using up all of my quarters trying to get a high score This truly felt like playing an arcade classic, more so then any other mini-game I have played in LBP.

Your material selection is perfect and I really don't think it can be improved upon. It just all makes sense.

I like how you created destroyable cover as it adds some strategy and it should make the player time their shots a bit more. Having said that I still found it easy to just spray a huge stram of paint into the heavens without worrying too much about the cover (maybe lower the HP on these?)

The boss on stage 3 was very cool and unexpected. I am curiuos as to how long it took you to tweak the movement pattern of this thing.

Now this is where things got really interesting. You pretty much added a whole new level that is accessed next to the scoreboard and completely optional! The whole elevator sections was amazing. I especially liked how you had it slanted versus completely horizontal, nice touch.

The spinning celestial background and lighting in the next section added some great visual punch. I also liked the glass walkways here.

I loved the decortaions you created in the following sections, particularly the chais and lights. The cow mini-game was fun although I did not know it was optional and thought it was necessary to do in order to progress (maybe a speech bubble here would help). I also had a bit of difficulty figuring out what to do once all the turrets jumped out and started firing at me. I thought I had to destroy all of them to progress so when one of them shot me I went all the way back to the elevator for a new paintinator (it was not a big deal but perhaps a bit more direction here would help). Once I figured out I need to jump into the small square in the background I said "ahhhh" lol.

The next room was funny. I love the speech bubbles here and the cameo of a well known lady made me smile

The spinning boss was well done. I liked your use of color here and the fact that each successive ring was spinning in the opposite direction of the previous one was unique and I have not seen it done before.

The cow being beamed up at the end was too funny. Unfortunately I did not have a chance to grab it

Overall this was an incredible experience that everyone needs to check out. 5 stars and hearted! I look forward to your next project.
    I use Feedback4Feedback

Published Levels: Pulse - 218 - The Legion - Out of Africa

New Release: The Rose Garden

13. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by OCK View Post
    I really have to applaud you for nailing the look and feel of Space Invaders. I remember as a kid in the 80's going to this bowling alley where they had Space Invaders and using up all of my quarters trying to get a high score This truly felt like playing an arcade classic, more so then any other mini-game I have played in LBP.
    Interestingly, I used to be a video game designer back in the mid 80's (worked on home versions of Super Cobra and Tron). One of the reasons I selected this game is because of my past experience. Thought it would help me relive some past times (one of the other guys I used to program with back then came up with the picture idea)

I like how you created destroyable cover as it adds some strategy and it should make the player time their shots a bit more. Having said that I still found it easy to just spray a huge stram of paint into the heavens without worrying too much about the cover (maybe lower the HP on these?)
    I had been thinking the same thing myself. Glad you mentioned it!

The boss on stage 3 was very cool and unexpected. I am curiuos as to how long it took you to tweak the movement pattern of this thing.
    This one took me several hours of slowly tweaking it and watching the results. I also had to make sure that when each section was destroyed, the explosions were enough to appear to damage the ship, but not enough to break it to a point where it couldn't be destroyed. I think it was worth it in the end.

I also had a bit of difficulty figuring out what to do once all the turrets jumped out and started firing at me. I thought I had to destroy all of them to progress so when one of them shot me I went all the way back to the elevator for a new paintinator (it was not a big deal but perhaps a bit more direction here would help). Once I figured out I need to jump into the small square in the background I said "ahhhh" lol.
    One of the other people reviewing this had the EXACT SAME PROBLEM. I apologize... I didn't even think of people missing the air vent (may be why I had "Nerve wracking" as one of the tags on my game, even though people were rating it well....)

I added a speech bubble that zoomed in on the air vent when you walk past the turret area.
    (of course, I am glad at least a couple of people got to play the cow mini-game).

The spinning boss was well done. I liked your use of color here and the fact that each successive ring was spinning in the opposite direction of the previous one was unique and I have not seen it done before.
    This spinning bubble was the biggest pain in the neck in the game. Took me several hours of having wheel pieces cracking into other parts and breaking the whole thing into pieces... I finished it, though, because I felt people would say "hey, never seen THAT one before". My favorite levels in LBP have those small touches (same thing I thought in "The Legion" where you are suddenly platforming BEHIND the backdrop.)
    Last edited by CCubbage; 01-24-2009 at 12:01 PM.
    F4F Participant

Hey Cuz,

Super level, I think the most fun I've had on any level, including the story levels made by MM.

Pros:
    -I would list all the pros, but there are too many and I don't want to spoil the level with a walk through. I will say that my favorite part was when the simulator breaks, rofl.

Cons:
    -The boss on stage 3 would be easier to understand if it had 5 LEDs for the 5 parts you have to destroy that go out when said part is gone. I didn't know there were 2 on left and 2 on right first time and kept dodging the thing looking for a way out...but I am a noob.
    -As OCK mentioned the long walk back for the paintball gun at the turrets, I double that comment and add tears of sadness since I had to make the walk 3 times in 2 games (I had to play it again just to grab the last cow)..
    -Cow level, I managed to get a cow stuck going up the chute, it was at an angle, feet top right, head bottom left. Did it twice so you might want to expand the up chute just a bit, its sad when the cow is stuck up there and you can reach him
    -Dying on the cow part made me sad, I was laughing too hard to make all the jumps back to get the next cow, then when I was concentrating I still managed to die alot until I got the hang of the timing. You can almost lose more points then gain them down there.
    -Getting in the airvent, had no clue what to do until I read the post, maybe change the mouth from 'hmmm' to 'hmmm, how do I get up in that airvent'

Hope this helps,
    PSN: Ozwald_the_cat
    Current F4F level: You Didn't Feed the Cat

16. Thanks!

Note - while I'm writing this I'm actually laughing pretty hard from your post, but I'm gonna try to go on.

Quote Originally Posted by Ozwald_the_cat View Post
    Hey Cuz,

Super level, I think the most fun I've had on any level, including the story levels made by MM.
    Great to hear you enjoyed it! I had a BLAST making it. Too many good ideas, not enough thermo to get them all in (had a few more photos for the alien sitting room.... Mork would have been nice to include).

Pros:
    -I would list all the pros, but there are too many and I don't want to spoil the level with a walk through. I will say that my favorite part was when the simulator breaks, rofl.
    I was hoping someone would comment on this. To future posts, PLEASE don't say it looks cheezy. I wanted the background image to look grainy so you would think "who would actually BUY that trick???"

Cons:
    -The boss on stage 3 would be easier to understand if it had 5 LEDs for the 5 parts you have to destroy that go out when said part is gone. I didn't know there were 2 on left and 2 on right first time and kept dodging the thing looking for a way out...but I am a noob.
    There are 3 parts: left, middle, and right. On each one after you rinish shooting it an explosion occurs. I was going for a a feeling of "OMG! Won't this thing ever die???" If anyone echoes this sentiment, I will certainly add another visual clue however.

-As OCK mentioned the long walk back for the paintball gun at the turrets, I double that comment and add tears of sadness since I had to make the walk 3 times in 2 games (I had to play it again just to grab the last cow)..
    Ok, here's one of those trade-off design issues (I struggled with this some): Getting the cow sticker so you can play the mini-game is not supposed to be COMPLETELY obvious. If I put the gun right outside the room, it will be pretty obvious that you're supposed to shoot the turrets - which is incredibly easy (you can just stand away from the turrets fire and shoot them without any challenge). This was supposed to be a puzzle. I was hoping most people would try to drag the broken turret through the other turret's fire. However, once again - I don't want to be hard-headed so if someone else really feels this is necessary I will definately change it.

-Cow level, I managed to get a cow stuck going up the chute, it was at an angle, feet top right, head bottom left. Did it twice so you might want to expand the up chute just a bit, its sad when the cow is stuck up there and you can reach him
    OK, all though I'm sorry a cow didn't go through for you, what would happen if you were trying to fit a REAL cow through an opening sideways? You've got to be able to aim the cow properly. I want you to go back and practice aiming the cow!

-Dying on the cow part made me sad, I was laughing too hard to make all the jumps back to get the next cow, then when I was concentrating I still managed to die alot until I got the hang of the timing. You can almost lose more points then gain them down there.
    OK, once again with the cow thing: this cow mini-game is carefully engineered to provide maximum satisfaction to those who REALLY work on mastering the perfection of floating-cow-platforming. It takes brains, agility, great timing, and lot's of practice until you truly master true bovinativity. The fact is, cow-floating is an art. So, if you play the game 10 times (giving it a 5-star rating each time), and also practice in different locales (try it at a few friends houses with 5 start ratings and hearts) you should get the hang of it.

(by the way, if you manage to get 30 friends to heart the level the game is designed to self-adjust the cow-floating difficulty level. This is another secret I'm only revealing in this thread)

-Getting in the airvent, had no clue what to do until I read the post, maybe change the mouth from 'hmmm' to 'hmmm, how do I get up in that airvent'
    Ok, I'll do this one.

Edit: Ok, I changed the "Hmm..." to "Hmmm. I wonder if I can fit in there?" and made the shields destruct a little easier (per OCK).
    Last edited by CCubbage; 01-24-2009 at 10:34 PM.
    F4F Participant

had a few more photos for the alien sitting room....
    To be honest I was sitting to far away to make out the photos the first time, Alf, Spock, Barf and whats the one on the right?

"OMG! Won't this thing ever die???"
    Then consider your job done, I think thats what I was actually thinking.

Ok, here's one of those trade-off design issues (I struggled with this some): Getting the cow sticker
    I'd agree with ya, but I didnt know any other way to get down the laser hall, I got the gun to blow up all the turrets and got the sticker as a bonus. Is there a way to get to the end without the gun? If the hallway was more of a platforming obstacle then a shooting obstacle it might play more into your hands, if the gun is only used to open the cow sticker then the long walk works perfect.

You've got to be able to aim the cow properly. I want you to go back and practice aiming the cow!
    Hey my family has been hauling anti-gravity bovine to the verticle slaughter house for years, if there is one thing I know how to do its....point taken, I'll practice my cow toss.

"Hmmm. I wonder if I can fit in there?"
    Sure, now all the women will be like "Does this airvent make my butt look big?"

alright, rant over.
    PSN: Ozwald_the_cat
    Current F4F level: You Didn't Feed the Cat

To be honest I was sitting to far away to make out the photos the first time, Alf, Spock, Barf and whats the one on the right?
    Glad you asked. "Meathead" from the movie "Meatballs II". Actually, this was my favorite when I was trying to decide simply because he wasn't as obvious, but he was one of the lowest budget aliens of all time (and the movie kind of stunk).

I'd agree with ya, but I didnt know any other way to get down the laser hall, I got the gun to blow up all the turrets and got the sticker as a bonus. Is there a way to get to the end without the gun? If the hallway was more of a platforming obstacle then a shooting obstacle it might play more into your hands, if the gun is only used to open the cow sticker then the long walk works perfect.
    Yup - the original intent was for you to drag the dropped turret down the hall through the laser fire not realizing the turrets could be shot. Shooting all the turrets WAS the secret (this actually worked perfectly during initial beta. Quote from Aer0blue: "How do you get the cow sticker????")

But you know something, the more of these conversations come up the more I am enjoying the design. I'm actually slightly disappointed less people will be confused (although it helps knowing more women will think their butts look big).

By the way, I noticed within about 20 plays after adding the "Hmmm... wonder if I can fit in there?" text one of the primary tags "Nerve Wracking" disappeared to the back.

Hey my family has been hauling anti-gravity bovine to the verticle slaughter house for years, if there is one thing I know how to do its....point taken, I'll practice my cow toss.
    Obviously you ain't been haulin' long enough if you can't get 8 measley floating cows into an... ehem.... shaft (not to give away anything... oops, you already did).

Edit: #@$@ you beat my high score!
    Last edited by CCubbage; 01-25-2009 at 11:25 AM.
    F4F Participant

This is the best level i have ever played. its not easy but not too hard, its perfect.
    I did the bonus part, the nuclear core was great fun and looked cool too. I never did the cow part though but I will definatly play it again soon.

It all looks and plays beautifully and i cant really see anything wrong with it, the boss could use clues on the targets but its no big deal, you really impressed me.

I gave it 5 stars and hearted u and your level. Welldone pal and thanks for the advice on my level, I will definatly use it

21. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Samson107 View Post
    This is the best level i have ever played. its not easy but not too hard, its perfect.
    I did the bonus part, the nuclear core was great fun and looked cool too. I never did the cow part though but I will definatly play it again soon.

It all looks and plays beautifully and i cant really see anything wrong with it, the boss could use clues on the targets but its no big deal, you really impressed me.

I gave it 5 stars and hearted u and your level. Welldone pal and thanks for the advice on my level, I will definatly use it
    Thanks! This is actually the end to one of my best weekends ever. (hope you don't mind if I write a small wall of text)

My Jacques the Acadian Warlord level, which originally got universally panned in LittleBigPlanet (everytime I would post it out there I got hate mail in my comments like "this level sucks" and 2 star ratings) suddenly was discovered after I silently reposted it by one of my favorite authors on this site (OCK, developer of "The Legion" - one of LBP must-plays) and he gave it a heart and 5 stars - which has kept up all weekend.

And I've been getting GREAT response to Splat Invaders Saga - which was originally an experiment I wasn't even going to publish (after I was going to give up making levels after the original disappointment of Jacques). I've been laughing all weekend just seeing the comments on this thread.

It's like LittleBigPlanet reached out and gave me a great big bear hug!
    F4F Participant

Wow, you did great job Ccubbage, you deserve being showcased. Not only is your work always great but you are a great contributing board member, writing long reviews and in-depth impressions of levels, with great feedback.

Splat Invaders Saga is yet another addition to your list of great levels. It starts with three stages of classic space invaders gameplay, followed by an intense and difficult bossfight, and multiple paths that lead to some awesome gameplay.

The first thing I noticed when I started your level was the amount of detail put into the enemies, their movements, and the storyline of the level. The "Do Not Enter" area at the end is almost bigger than the rest of the level! It's also the best part. Don't get me wrong, I loved the classic space invaders gameplay but what I really liked was that after you enter that door you have no idea what's going to happen, it's mysterious and cool.

After entering the "Do Not Enter" door, gamers are treated to yet another interpretation of the classic SI gameplay but this time the background scrolls instead of remaining stationary, this section is followed by a brief but inspired portal-like section. Then an a really innovative boss/puzzle where you have to shoot the outer layers of a boy to reach it's core.

Great ideas! And all very polished. It's a breath of fresh air to play such a polished experience.

So congrats on the showcase! You deserve it!

24. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Snowspot View Post
    Splat Invaders Saga is yet another addition to your list of great levels. It starts with three stages of classic space invaders gameplay, followed by an intense and difficult bossfight, and multiple paths that lead to some awesome gameplay.
    Wow, thanks man!

Quote Originally Posted by Snowspot View Post
    After entering the "Do Not Enter" door, gamers are treated to yet another interpretation of the classic SI gameplay but this time the background scrolls instead of remaining stationary
    I don't know whether you remember, but the upward scrolling area was actually your idea.

At one point a while ago we ended up jumping into a game of the original Splat Invaders Deluxe together. After one of the stages you popped up the chat and mentioned "You know what would blow peoples minds? If you had an UPWARD scrolling section!". So you actually had the idea for this (I'm not sure whether you remember or not).

Also, I got the idea of what to do with the bovine antigravity chamber while floating through part of your apocalypse series! (combined with the fact that Aer0blue asked me if there could be a hidden cow area).
    Last edited by CCubbage; 01-25-2009 at 11:50 PM.
    F4F Participant

Shh! There is no cow level!
    >.>
    <.<

Quote Originally Posted by Morrinn3 View Post
    Shh! There is no cow level!
    >.>
    <.<
    Man, I'd love to get that "back in the pen", but unfortunately the secret is out.... besides, one of Aer0blue's suggestions during the beta of the game was to let people know it was there BUT not necessarily how to get to it... I think he put a really cool secret area in Techno Fortress that only a couple of people have found.

It would be a shame if very few people got to experience the thrills of the bovine antigravity chamber!

Unfortunately, I didn't get to use the "cow glitch" for the bovine antigravity chamber because it was fixed in the 1.0.7 patch.

Edit: Wow... I just noticed this game is in the community spotlight... I'm stunned, but excited. I think the only way this day could end any better is if Donald Trump showed up at my house with a million dollars and a piece of pie.
    Last edited by CCubbage; 01-26-2009 at 02:37 AM.
    F4F Participant

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast