BG1, PRELOAD BG2, PRELOAD

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Contrast - A Single Player Puzzle/Platformer (Spotlighted)

Hello everyone. It's been a long time since I released a level, but my next masterpiece is finally ready. Ladies and gentlemen, I give you:

CONTRAST

Contrast is a puzzle platformer designed to make your head spin, and your mind melt. It's based on (well.... more like a shameless rip-off ) the internet flash game 'Shift'.

The idea is simple -get from the entrance door to the exit door. Getting to the exit door, however, is not always so simple.

Features include:

- A wonderful main menu

- A level select

Since the level is quite long, I included the option to save your progress and come back to where you left off at a later date.

- An in-game menu

- And some ACTUAL GAMEPLAY (who knew?)

The level also features music from some of your favourite creators, and also by myself (sorry).

Feedback is always appreciated, and of course I will give some in return if needed. Please report any bugs to me, and most importantly, I hope you enjoy the level. It took me a very long time to make, so it's great to finally get it out there. I hope that players do play it right through to the end, there are some nice gameplay twists in the later levels and I'd like everyone to experience it all.
    Last edited by Ali_Star; 04-15-2013 at 12:38 PM.

LBPCentral Spotlight CrewLBPCentral Spotlight Crew biorogue's Avatar
    Level completed: 46%, Points required for next Level: 1,031
    Overall activity: 23.0%
    7 days registered 1000 Experience Points 500 Experience Points 250 Experience Points 100 Experience Points
    PSN
    jester946
    Blog Entries

in the queue she goes.

Follow me on the twitterz @bioswoop

3. Thanks!

Level completed: 65%, Points required for next Level: 143
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    100 Experience Points 250 Experience Points 500 Experience Points 7 days registered 1000 Experience Points
    PSN
    cradle2grave
    Blog Entries

Wow, it looks amazing. I've got it queued up
    Click to view Profile
    ​STOP ALL THE SLAPPING

You can now follow me on Twitter @PSNcradle2grave

5. Thanks!

This gets a thumbs up from me! I will put this in my silhouette Hub, as soon as i can find the room. lol. Great work

Level completed: 24%, Points required for next Level: 845
    Overall activity: 0%
    Created Blog entry 100 Experience Points 250 Experience Points 7 days registered 500 Experience Points
    PSN
    craigmond
    Blog Entries

I've played it and all I can say is, the pictures don't do it enough justice.

The gameplay was really terrific, and as you further progress you have to use your mind a lot more to work out how to reach the end of the level, which gives it a brilliant challenging aspect which many levels now-a-days, are missing. The sheer amount of work that has gone into the level is amazing, the amount of logic that must have been used I can't imagine, mainly because I don't do logic myself, but I'd imagine even for those who use it, it's a tremendous amount. The Sackbot works pretty seamlessly as well, the controls work very well and are easy to remember, my only problem with the sackbot is that, at times it can be a tad over-senstive but it really isn't that major a problem.

The level design and overall look of the level was very creative and well done. Even through the more challenging levels, where there is more going on, the design remains slick and good to look at. The different 'buttons' are designed well and it's easy to remember what each one does. The start menu is great too, but the level select tab is one of my favorite parts of this level. It allows you, during the game, to save and exit the level. This means that when you go to level select, after placing your level sticker on the area at the start. You can start again from where you left off.

So overall I'd have to say this level is superb. I don't normally play levels anymore, however this one leaves me asking why. So to sum up, a great effort which really pays off. Well done

German Community Moderator avundcv's Avatar
    Level completed: 33%, Points required for next Level: 946
    7 days registered 100 Experience Points 30 days registered 250 Experience Points 500 Experience Points
    PSN
    AVundCV
    Blog Entries

I did the mistake and tried to play it with a mate
    Be sure I'll come back as single player

9. Thanks!

Got into queue

11. Thanks!

Looks great! Played shift on my phone and really liked it. Queued!!!

13. Thanks!

Level completed: 73%, Points required for next Level: 270
    Overall activity: 35.0%
    7 days registered 100 Experience Points 30 days registered 250 Experience Points 500 Experience Points
    PSN
    alistair26

Quote Originally Posted by cradle2grave View Post
    Wow, it looks amazing. I've got it queued up
    Quote Originally Posted by thespacemonkey187 View Post
    This gets a thumbs up from me! I will put this in my silhouette Hub, as soon as i can find the room. lol. Great work
    Cheers chaps, let me know your opinions. Do you have any levels you want me to play?

Quote Originally Posted by H-O-S-M-A-R View Post
    Got into queue
    Thanks, will make sure to play your level too, though I'm not really a fan of Megaman.... played a bit on my friend's SNES about 15 years ago, that's it.

Quote Originally Posted by dolphins-r-lame View Post
    Looks great! Played shift on my phone and really liked it. Queued!!!
    Cheers. I actually played it first on the PC a few years ago. There's actually a level creator within the game, and I had created about 7 or 8 levels or so, a couple of which I've put in my LBP level (levels 21 and 22).
    I actually had the idea to create this level about a year and a half ago, using a holo character. This was before they brought out the Muppets DLC with the attracto tweaker. This obviously helped a lot!

Anyway, if you do like my level please spread the word . I'm not expecting a massive amount of plays, but I'd at least like an amount to make the last year's creation time worth it.
    I don't even think anyone's completed it yet... but hopefully some people will come back to finish the rest of the level off and don't just forget about it when they're only half done.

BTW, if you do play the Endurance mode and manage to get 25,000 points (this is quite tough), I chuck in a couple of nifty prizes.

YOU
    YOY

Queued.
    And the world...is electricity! And there's a lot inside of you! And there's a lot inside of me!

It's a black & white design platform puzzle, with special command L1 to switch from black to white & R1 to grab bubble item to unlock paths.
    There's also the arrows which change the angle of view & play of the player

There's 30 levels with a save system based on sticker from the menu (pressing square), that way you can stop & come back from last progression ^^.

More you'll progress more complex & difficult it'll get.

Btw there's also on the last levels (i didn't finish all 30 levels yet , i must be at 27 or 28 currently), some genuine different gameplay idea but i won't spam you to let you the surprise, i'm talking about the serie of levels, toward the end, which are based on the same one (people who played Contrast will understand).
    Last edited by LeLotusBleu; 04-01-2013 at 07:22 PM.

Level completed: 43%, Points required for next Level: 637
    7 days registered 5000 Experience Points 1000 Experience Points 500 Experience Points 250 Experience Points
    PSN
    Ungreth

First off, the presentation here is immaculate, very professional. Could be a PS3 mini. The retro visual style takes me back to the days when I loaded up my games on cassette and had to listen to a cacophony of screeching "nee-naw" noises before I could play them. The gameplay was innovative, well designed, and you clearly put a lot of thought into the challenge of each room. Your logics were technically proficient to say the least, and no bugs that I could spot.

Now...I have really crummy internet so whatever level I play on LBP there's always some lag. In this level I didn't get much of it, but there was just enough to make the precision jumping over spike pits feel like a nightmare from hell. Not your fault of course, but it did hinder my enjoyment of the level. The sections I got the most enjoyment out of were the puzzle-centric ones with fewer death hazards, like the spiral maze (and the level after it) where you had to switch between the positive and negative, turning the level upside down. A great mechanic there which really distinguished the level.

Eventually though dying on spikes for the millionth time because of my laggy internet caused me to quit, but you got my yay and heart anyhow. Great fusion of retro style and novel game mechanics.

PSN
    alistair26

Quote Originally Posted by LeLotusBleu View Post
    Btw there's also on the last levels (i didn't finish all 30 levels yet , i must be at 27 or 28 currently), some genuine different gameplay idea but i won't spam you to let you the surprise, i'm talking about the serie of levels, toward the end, which are based on the same one (people who played Contrast will understand).
    Thanks for your comments. There are some more surprises towards the end too.

Quote Originally Posted by Ungreth View Post
    Eventually though dying on spikes for the millionth time because of my laggy internet caused me to quit, but you got my yay and heart anyhow. Great fusion of retro style and novel game mechanics.
    Normally, I'd recommend to people to play through all the stages, however some of the later stages might result in more lag for you. Although it doesn't look like it when you play, there's quite a lot of logic/objects involved in each stage, so my fear was that it would result in problems for slower connections.

Thanks for your review, much appreciated.

19. Thanks!

Unfortunately i'm stuck on lvl 28, and it's not too much my thing (maybe same thing half short would be ok for me ...) coz it's more technical playing than puzzle like most of the others, so it's a bit frustrating so near the end

Will retry it in with better mood =^.^=

21. Thanks!

I will check this out, it looks really cool. I never played Shift, could you explain what it is?

My levels, helpfully categorized for your convenience:
    The Good - The Bad - The Weird - The Frustrating - The Pretty - The Mobile

Junior Sackperson peoriaspitfire's Avatar
    Level completed: 5%, Points required for next Level: 665
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    100 Experience Points 7 days registered 30 days registered 250 Experience Points 500 Experience Points
    PSN
    peoriaspitfire

This looks great and is in my queue. Since I'm old, these graphics still look great to me!

I love that you made a "save sytem" here. Great idea!

i love this kind of games, queued!!!!

Level completed: 70%, Points required for next Level: 366
    Overall activity: 99.0%
    7 days registered 5000 Experience Points 1000 Experience Points 500 Experience Points 250 Experience Points
    PSN
    RickRock_777
    Blog Entries

I played this for the first time last night. I enjoyed how the puzzles increase in difficulty as you move along. I also checked all the controls and I do have a question about the "Retry" option when using the "O" button. I depressed this a few times, expecting to be taken back to the entry door of the puzzle I was in, but all that happened was an audible tone. Can you please tell me what the Retry button is supposed to do?

I enjoyed the level and the concept, especially the moving between the black and white zones to progress. The little Sackie pointer you used for the menu was humorous and a nice detail. I do have some reservations regarding your Intro, but it is more a personal preference item. I do plan to return and complete all the puzzles, so I can experience the gameplay in the later puzzles. Keep them coming.

26. Thanks!

LBPCentral Spotlight CrewKeyholder of Imagination L-I-M-I's Avatar
    Level completed: 15%, Points required for next Level: 854
    7 days registered 30 days registered 100 Experience Points 250 Experience Points Created Blog entry
    PSN
    L-I-M-I
    Blog Entries

This was a great level, in regards to ungreth and lag. I don't think it is lag that causes the mis jumps but when running at full speed, it fails to jump when near the edge. This can be problematic for jumps that required near max jump distance.

Overall this was amazing Great Job, got my sticker ready to go when I continue

I have an avatar, it's just you can't see it cause your screen is dirty.......

I has levels!
    Stealing Sound .............................http://lbp.me/v/j5pb0y
    Ordinary Joe ......................................http://lbp.me/v/fgjzb1
    Sacks-Off, Dance-Off ................................http://lbp.me/v/jbb24n
    The Very Hungry Caterpillar..............................http://lbp.me/v/gg-xt7
    Merry Thanksgivoween Arcadium Explodaganza......http://lbp.me/v/g3gmwr

PSN
    alistair26

Quote Originally Posted by bonner123 View Post
    I will check this out, it looks really cool. I never played Shift, could you explain what it is?
    It's flash game available online. There's also a Playstation Mini version.

Quote Originally Posted by RickRock_777 View Post
    I played this for the first time last night. I enjoyed how the puzzles increase in difficulty as you move along. I also checked all the controls and I do have a question about the "Retry" option when using the "O" button. I depressed this a few times, expecting to be taken back to the entry door of the puzzle I was in, but all that happened was an audible tone. Can you please tell me what the Retry button is supposed to do?
    Yeah.... now that you've said that I've realised I didn't explain it very well in the level. You actually have to hold the button for (I think) 3 seconds. I can add a bit more description to the tutorial and the controls screen in the menu. Thanks for pointing that out.

Quote Originally Posted by L-I-M-I View Post
    This was a great level, in regards to ungreth and lag. I don't think it is lag that causes the mis jumps but when running at full speed, it fails to jump when near the edge. This can be problematic for jumps that required near max jump distance.

Overall this was amazing Great Job, got my sticker ready to go when I continue
    With regards to the jumping, I seem to remember (was a long time ago ) I had to put a fix in for the sackbot controls for the jumping because at one point I discovered that he could double-jump. I didn't want that happening. You can do late jumps though.

Another point to make regarding the movement of the sackbot (which HellYeah pointed out in an ingame review), in the game 'Shift' the character moves at a constant pace, so I made the decision to do it this way in my version. I suppose if I get a few more complaints about it, I can look into changing it.

Bonner made the comment about the shifting not working when close to the corner, again this is a necessary evil. The platforms for the white/black layers shift between each other via in/out movers between the back and middle layers. I had a problem near the beginning where shifting at a corner sometimes caused the sackbot to be pushed out of the level (into the front layer) by the object moving from the back to the middle, so I had to put in logic to stop that from happening.

EDIT: I've added a little more description in the controls screen for the Reset button. Also, for those who found the controls to be a bit too floaty, I'd recommend using the d-pad.
    Last edited by Ali_Star; 04-04-2013 at 09:34 AM.

29. Thanks!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast