BG1, PRELOAD BG2, PRELOAD

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
    Level completed: 52%, Points required for next Level: 389
    Overall activity: 0%
    100 Experience Points 7 days registered Created Blog entry 250 Experience Points 500 Experience Points
    PSN
    katoregama
    Blog Entries

I look forward to your DELICIOUS LEVEL then, Bonner. XD Vermillion Grove is already in my queue so I'll give it the once-over tonight. I've been trying to play every level that pops up in the showcase, since there's so much good stuff there.

AND WE ALL KNOW HOW MUCH I WRITE SOMETIMES. XD Srsly. I'd love to be a writer as my profession.

I can do more than one review at a time, so if anyone else wants one done, don't be shy. There's no limit.

-------------------

Vermillion Grove
    by squid2723
    Link: http://lbp.me/v/kjwc6s

Now I want to put up a big blinking lights disclaimer here; I am just one person with just one perspective. What I say is not a part of a greater whole. I say this because this is the first level I'm being tasked to review where I did not particularly enjoy myself, and I'm going to go into why. That said, this is only directed towards certain aspects of the level, while some of them were very nice. So please keep an open mind while I keep a courageous, honest, heart.

Pretend you've invented shoes made out of bacon. Bacon is delicious, easy to digest, and a lot of people enjoy the flavor. Then you've got shoes. Everybody needs shoes. Some people shop around endlessly for shoes, and they're an important part of life. Marrying the two concepts of Bacon and Shoes certainly seems good on paper, but in reality it's a soggy uncomfortable mess.True bacon shoes are an incredibly original idea, but it sort of falls in use. I'm saying this mostly in regards to the jetpack concepts here.

When I see a jetpack, I see it as a means to fly, but in this case the jetpack itself is irrelevant. What's being used is the tether, in this case, as a means to direct your arc of velocity. You're expected to jump out of the jetpack so it can fling you up high, an idea that took me no less than 20 minutes to get right from the get-go. It's a very unique idea so give yourself credit for that, it's just not very fun in practice. It's like being given a brand new adorable puppy, and you only get to play with the leash for a few seconds. I'm not sure how to advise on these, since jetpack puzzles are the bread and butter of the level, and some of them were good. The good ones did not involve precision physics.

Visuals seem to be this level's strong point, and thank goodness there weren't any of the crazy glitches used that I noticed. Some of the background elements didn't seem to match though. Some parts look very artistic, and some look very hodge podge. But I overlook that mostly on the basis that it's a stylistic choice. I don't fault anyone for visual choices, and nobody faults me for having a japanese fox that speaks french.

The level itself was great to look at, but I wonder how it would have gone using tetherless jetpacks, and more grab and pull puzzles, or emitter spike-wall maze puzzles, rather than trying 500 times trying to fling yourself just right from a foot long cable. Vermillion Grove has it's strong points, and as it has excellent backing, it's going to be a popular level. I'm going to have to be the odd one out though, so just remember that.

TLDR:

Navigation - The jetpack flinging puzzles were a nightmare, and the level was very short. I often had trouble discerning what platforms I could land on.

Visual - Good visuals with a nice wooded area style. Some elements seemed erroneous, but this could be a stylistic decision.

Sound - Music sounded like sequencer tracks. It was quite nice. I'm not a sound expert though, so I can't offer you anything more than that.

Gadgetry - The obstacles were very unique and original, they just weren't very fun as they tied you down. (That was a pun.)

Glitches - I didn't notice any, unless the background was on one of the 'extra layers' in which case it would explain why I had problems finding safe platforms, in which case, shame on you.

Story - N/A

Notes - You should definitely look into that free-flying jetpack idea. Cable-less jetpacks will really get you off the ground, lol.
    Last edited by Kato; 05-24-2013 at 01:05 PM. Reason: New Review.
    I don't just review, I make levels too!

LBP.ME KatoRegama

Great review!

I generally agree with a lot of what you have to say. I think the level is designed well in many respects (mostly in regards to presentation) but there are a few issues that keep it from being a great level. I used to like jetpack jumps back on LBP1 but as I gained more sense I realized that they are obnoxious and frequently require a silly amount of precision. Even jetpack jumps that throw you high in the air are really finnicky and frustrating. I also agree that the technological elements were non-sequiters, and squid2723 agrees. The problem was that he liked the lighting of Eve's Asylum as well as the foliage. If anything, I hope LBP3 includes customizable backgrounds that allow you to remove assets you don't like.

The music track is actually from LBP1 and it's called Tricky Business. Overall great review. I think tethered jetpacks can still be used in a fun way, but I think there needs to be a sense of momentum and freedom for that. I should have my level done relatively soon, there are just a few (really sad) real life issues that need to taken care of. I will pass this on to squid, and I think he'll agree with most of it.
    Last edited by bonner123; 05-24-2013 at 03:33 PM.

My levels, helpfully categorized for your convenience:
    The Good - The Bad - The Weird - The Frustrating - The Pretty - The Mobile

3. Thanks!

Level completed: 97%, Points required for next Level: 35
    7 days registered 1000 Experience Points 500 Experience Points 250 Experience Points 100 Experience Points
    PSN
    RoDRiGo-FiLiPiNo

This game was in the Mm picks a while ago, and it has 5000+ plays. Its very underplayed haha

Galak-Z Raiden: Resurgence
    http://lbp.me/v/bypn4y

5. Thanks!

Can I get a review on this level: http://lbp.me/v/g453df

It's a pretty simple level so I don't expect a long review.

Thanks!
    It's-a-me

7. Thanks!

If at all possible kato could you play some of my levels , im undiscovered under 500 plays and some of its old stuff (decent) and new stuff (great) i just need to feel like building is worth my time , i havent got a single play in about 3 weeks .
    once apon a time i swore i had a heart long beffore the world i know tore it all apart , once apon a time there was a part of me i shared years beffore they took away the part of me that cared .

100 Experience Points 7 days registered Created Blog entry 250 Experience Points 500 Experience Points
    PSN
    katoregama
    Blog Entries

-------------------

Galak-Z Raiden: Resurgence
    by RoDRiGo-FiLiPiNo

I’d like to start by saying that this level already has an Mm Pick, so what I say is probably irrelevant. If you’ve gotten one of those then you know your level must be amazing, so the words of one person shouldn’t be much more than dust mites bouncing off the shell of an armored space fighter. That said, GOD WHY?!

The technology of this level is truly incredible. You clearly have a keen eye for logic, which on this level proves to be an example of genius. Genius for all sorts of reasons, from the tight level flow, to the power-ups, deaths, respawns, deaths, enemies, bosses, deaths, craft selections, deaths, deaths, oh, and the deaths too. They happen a lot in this level.

That’s really my biggest complaint. The level is fast paced, and holds no hands. But the essence of this level is not not survive, it’s to die less than the thousands of other players. Every two seconds when an enemy group spawns, they let loose a barrage of tiny red shots while you’re firing a barrage of tiny red shots, and suddenly it becomes nearly impossible to see what’s going on. And this is just stage one of four.

I’m going to be honest and admit that despite a truly legendary product, and an even more legendary amount of labor on your part (which will be sung of in heroes tales in mead halls by our descendents) I really didn’t have much fun here. There was no sense of accomplishment unless you survived more than five seconds, but then shortly after you’d die anyway, so it was all moot point. Anytime I ever got more than one powerup, I’d only get maybe two shots off before dying, so it just became a repeated process of spawn, use secondary weapon, die, repeat.

There are gamers out there (probably Japanese Touhou veterans, and Bullet Hell Fanatics) who would do this without breaking a sweat. This is a game for them, and anyone else who wants to be marveled by the clearly amazing logic involved. But for the average player, the not-very-good player, and even the really good players out there, this might end up just being a frustrating war of attrition with an EXTREMELY forgiving Grim Reaper. Would I recommend it to my friends? Yes, but with cautions. Once you’ve gotten through Stage 1, stop, give it a yay, and move on.

TLDR:

Navigation – Easy to manage appropriate controls, fun menu, but if possible it could use an undo button to reselect the last item. Everything else is on-rails.

Visual – Nice retro sprite work reminiscent of old arcade games.

Sound – Good sounds. Again, I’m no expert on this. To me there either is or isn’t music if it’s not a music gallery. So this is all good.

Gadgetry – Incredible logic work spoken of only by the Gods on Mount Olympus, so you certainly win an internet gold Trophy here.

Glitches - Some of the explosions have sticker overlap issues that broke the arcade immersion.

Story – You are a tenacious little ship with a few guns, an unbeatable health-care plan, and a grudge against an endless swarm of other guys.

Notes – Worthy of an Mm pick, but the level is unfairly balanced and overly hectic. Not something I would replay, but thems the breaks! : D Your next project needs to include a Kato Class Starship that actually GAINS health when shot by projectiles. XD

-------------------

Trance Wars
    by comishguy67
    Link: httphttp://lbp.me/v/g453df

I was somewhere in the middle of that cluster when I died. You poor unlucky soul get the displeasure of being the second arcade ‘avoid everything’ I went through in a day. XD Though in all honesty, Trance Wars was a nice way to unwind after fighting off six zerg-rushes at once with a slingshot, and a guardian angel like no other. The essence was again to survive, but you’ve got only one life. Luckily you actually have a chance to do so.

Trance Wars was fun, but maybe I’m just getting too old or too ADD for games in its vein. All of the countless emitted shapes and I lost track of where I was very fast. And things just kept moving. I did eventually figure out that you have a shield button that envelops you in a ring of death which was helpful, plus your health regens which is necessary.

The level itself is very simple in format. It leaves me hard pressed to leave any relevant opinions, since there’s not much to go on except moving around and not touching anything for as long as you can. Technology in this level is up to standards. Twin-Stick controls are functional, easy-to-use, and of an appropriate speed.

The red shield seems somewhat superfluously controlled. There’s no limit to its use, so why have a button to hold it out at all? It doesn’t block anything from killing you if they take more than one hit, and those enemy types enter into the fray fairly quickly. Enemy health regen is a bit of a tough customer as well, since they heal faster than you can hurt.

Overall it’s a simple, functional level you can play if you’re experiencing a need for some down time, but like an after dinner mint, it’s tasty, quick, and sweet, but doesn’t really satisfy. However, it carries with it potential and possibility, and you’re left with expectations for future projects which will certainly be worth the wait.

TLDR:

Navigation – Simple controls, easy to understand system.

Visual – The simplicity of it all can still get very hectic when you’ve got five hundred little shapes bearing down on you at once, and some of them recharge, so you lose track of everything but those select few little dudes.

Sound – Fun music quite appropriate to the level, but I tended to zone it out once I started getting mauled by the little greenies.

Gadgetry – Wonderful logic tech that’s deceptively simple I’d wager. A good potential starting zone for future projects.

Glitches - I didn’t find any glitches with the objects, so that’s a plus.

Story - N/A

Notes – Again, I’m a bit hard-pressed to review some mini-game levels. XD The tech is always good, but there’s usually not a lot of substance. Good show regardless.

-------------------

Brutal, if you want me to review a level, you’ll have to choose one for me.
    Last edited by Kato; 05-27-2013 at 06:06 PM.

LBP.ME KatoRegama

Level completed: 73%, Points required for next Level: 270
    Overall activity: 35.0%
    7 days registered 100 Experience Points 30 days registered 250 Experience Points 500 Experience Points
    PSN
    alistair26

I'd be tempted to ask you to review my level, Contrast (click the image in my sig and it'll take you to the lbp.me page) out of curiosity. Though, it is rather long (though you can save your progress and return to the stage where you left off), and can be frustrating at times. You'd probably have to play through every stage to give a full review. If you're not up to that, then no worries.

11. Thanks!

PSN
    katoregama
    Blog Entries

I'll give it a full and fair review Ali, but it may take a few days. XD I'm REALLY close to finishing the final boss fight and ending to my platformer game, and I want to get that out of the way so I can look into newer projects and remakes. XD

LBP.ME KatoRegama

PSN
    katoregama
    Blog Entries

http://lbp.me/v/kjpsj-
    by Brnxblze

I do actually have a favorite LBP level, and it's a LBP1 level. It's an Mm Pick I believe and its got like a million plays, so it's overly-popular. XD But if it deserves that much attention, then it probably IS good. The level is entitled "Distress in Ocean" and it's a non water-based platformer. The reason it's my favorite level is NOT because of amazing visuals, or super-extreme technology, no. It has neither of those. What makes it so great is a sense of imagination and wonder. Every so often I'll go back and replay it for that reason alone. It charmed me is what it did. It was charming.

Today I'm reviewing another charming level, because it appeals to the inner child of the player. Your goal is to perform a number of household chores before getting to play Little Big Planet. From taking out the trash to cleaning your room, to trashing your SISTER'S room, you'll have to do each to proceed, with a few score surprises for things such as turning on light switches.

The atmosphere is for lack of a better word adorable, with bright blue skies, shiny red houses, amusing characters, and little unexpected tidbits, so you may just find something new every time. In my latest playthrough I jumped on the counter in the super-market, and the guy told me to get down! So of course I wiggled my butt in his face a bit longer before moving on. Incidentally this was my third try, and I still enjoyed it. So it gets major props for me liking it every bit as much on the third run. So repeatability is a yes.

Now I'm going to assume the complexity meter is not yet capped, but if it is, then feel free to skip ahead. What I think this level lacks, is detail touches. I'm going to give you a prime example. In your stickers section, under foliage I believe, if you've been a reasonably diligent prize collector you'll find a little smiling flower sticker. Slap that on a sticker panel (and I know you have sticker panel, the clouds are proof of that) add a stem, and a wobble bolt to the base, make it nice and small, and then pop a few down in the main house's front lawn. Tweak the wobble so they only dance slightly and viola! It's going to make a tremendous difference in style. You could even get more advanced by normal-bolting the flower onto the stem separately, and adding a gyroscope to it, so the stem sways, but the flower stays upright. Stickers stickers and more stickers! Add a few crayon doodles to the walls! put clouds on sticker panels with movers on them, and have them fade out of emitters. Rolling clouds!

The main point I'm trying to get across is the lack of motion here. For such an inventive atmosphere, there is a surprising lack of motion. Aside from your character, most everything is stock-still until you push it off a shelf or drag it someplace. With some more wiggly things you could make a HUGE impact. Incidentally before I first published my level Deep Ocean, there were no fish! So I added a few sticker paneled fish on movers, a wobble bolted crustacean or two, and it completely changed the level for me.

My second notation is the logic. Yeah, it works, but it seems a little hit and miss. XD I'd have to take a look at it to see exactly what's going on, but I get the feel that it's a bit easy to crack. There's this one dude who plays my levels, and for the life of me, I have NO idea how but he's able to get to places he shouldn't. I've purposely tried to replicate it to no avail. Not that there are any cracks here, just that some of the logic seems a bit fragile. With so many boxes of cheese puffs, I'm going to want them all! So it might be better to have just ONE come out of an emitter, and glue the rest to the shelf. Sure, it saddens me to not get a shopping trolley full of junk food, but it saves me the time of realizing what I did was wrong and having to restart.

So I'm sure you understand these are nitpicks. Once I beat this level it was insta-hearted, and it's already one of my faves. It's charmed me. Charmed me so much I want to see even more of it! Maybe even a Housework 2 level where you've got to unpack boxes, take showers, put stuff on shelves, repair the roof, clean the chimney, cure stupidness and solve world hunger. I really love this level. Keep it up!

TLDR:

Navigation – Fun sense of exploration. Author was nice enough to touch up some of the trickier bits to make them less hit and miss. And make your pillow not look like a door mat. XD

Visual – An old-school LBP1 style. Very nice to look at. Could maybe use more motion, stickers, and decor. You'll be shocked how much of a difference a single black gradient sticker can make to any environment.

Sound – Music changes room by room, most of them LBP1 tracks, and they all worked nicely.

Gadgetry – I think this is the main area which could use a little tightening. It works yes, but it gave me the impression that it wouldn't.

Glitches - No major glitches that weren't fixed by the end.

Story – You are a child given a few chores, a happy grin, and a double shot of espresso. You do your work, and WRECK ALL ELSE. XD

Notes – Your neighbor has a hot wife! What was I saying again? Oh, the perspective scenes are great! I also like that the house FEELS like a house. I will definitely replay this on rainy days. And others should try it too. It's worth it for the amusement factor alone.

LBP.ME KatoRegama

i have 3 you can pick from:
    metal gear solid 4 act 1 http://lbp.me/v/je9ef3
    assassins cread http://lbp.me/v/7-d0ef
    star wars episode 5 http://lbp.me/v/6hfq-c
    of course id like to hear what you have to say about ALL my lvls but ill settle for one or these...u can choose lol

15. Thanks!

PSN
    katoregama
    Blog Entries

I do have all of these queued up, I just need a little more time to get through my queue backlog in-between recreating a boss fight. (Stupid Praxion!) : ) Actually only just last night did I get through VCorp's Downfall if that tells you anything about how far behind I am. XD

LBP.ME KatoRegama

http://lbp.me/v/kn45b2

That is what I want reviewed. Thanks
    listen to New Slaves

18. Thanks!

Thanks kato for the reveiw you left , im trying to fix certin things but im working 12hr shifts 5 days a week and a 10hr shift on saturdays .so i sadly dont have the time i once did i was bored un employed lol so i created more things .
    once apon a time i swore i had a heart long beffore the world i know tore it all apart , once apon a time there was a part of me i shared years beffore they took away the part of me that cared .

20. Thanks!

well thx for trying my lvl. no review or rate so i guess u didnt like it very much. but thx for trying it out. i no ur very busy. guess i shouldve read ur profile b4 i asked. then i wouldve known tht u like platformers. which i dont make

22. Thanks!

PSN
    katoregama
    Blog Entries

Uh... shady? Chill. I need time to write these things and I've still got one more level of yours to try. Plus there is someone in the queue before you. So sit down, get comfortable, and WAIT PATIENTLY. Thanks.

LBP.ME KatoRegama

lol i really meant thx for trying it!!! i wasnt being sarcastic. u dont have to like them. i just was happy i made the cut to be played cuz i no ur very busy. u dont have to play anymore of them its ok. play someone elses tht u might enjoy. my lvls are different then most so i dont feel bad when ppl dont like them as long as i like them. i just was reading ur reviews and they r they best iv read. so i thought id give it a shot. thx again!
    im srry i guess i just lost faith in my lvls. i spend so much time on them trying to make something diff only to see another copied mortal kombat big bots lvl at the top of the cool pgs. i guess it makes me think tht thats all the ppl wanna play. i think i might just give up
    Last edited by shady0420; 06-01-2013 at 07:12 PM.

25. Thanks!

PSN
    katoregama
    Blog Entries

Contrast
    by Ali-Star/alistair26
    Link: http://lbp.me/v/de8yfjs

All righty I admit I couldn't make it through this one, but I still feel justified because my friends are all terrible people who would never have gotten as far as I did. XD Contrast is what I like to call a Keanu Reeves level. It's got style, many people think its sexy, and if you don't go 'Whoah' at least once, you're out of the club. Here my 'whoah' moment was when I pressed L1 and proceeded to 'flip' out over what happened.

The idea with contrast is that you have two workable platforming spaces. A white half, and a black half, and you can 'flip' between the two to solve puzzles and find new platforming solutions. The technology for this is great. I wasn't able to figure out how its done. I have my theory, but I'd rather not know for sure. Anyway...

The goal is to navigate a number of rooms this way, jumping from entrance door to exit, and occasionally using icons to affect the level, such as making blocks vanish, or platforms flip. However, problems arose for me when the difficulty ramped up extremely quickly. After the first three level I was sweating to finish. But then out of nowhere it got uncannily easy again. Then uncannily hard. Then easy. Then hard. Then even harder. It was a jarring 'contrast' if you don't mind me saying.

I had to call it quits in the first 'spike wall room' where you jump from pillar to pillar, wall to wall, and eventually end up on the ceiling. The platforms on the ceiling were very prickly, and rendered me incapable of jumping at their edges, making the jumps up there even harder. I only ever got to the switch once before dying. It grated on my patience because a lot of the jumps are really very hard, and not just in single spots, but everywhere. And if the game won't let you edge jump, then its just not being fair.

I did save a sticker, so perhaps I could beat it later on the first try. We'll see. Overall its a persistent marvel of sparse decor and immense challenge. It put me in mind of portal a fair bit, but with no gun. I think my biggest problem is just my tastes as a player. I didn't really like Contrast, but I really can't tell you why. It had a unique concept, creative solutions, bizarre and imaginative gameplay, and a fun visual style. And I can't rightly blame difficulty as a reason for not liking a level. That's never a valid answer. I guess it is the only answer. It was like having an adorable, bi-polar kitten who loves you, and licks you, and wants pettings, then out of nowhere eats your face off. You have fun playing with it as long as you remember in a moments notice it's going to re-enact a Vin Diesel film on your sense of self-worth.

So I guess my complaint is not the difficulty, but the sine wave of it therein which starts low, then raises high, then low again, and repeats. I was left boggled over one long jump I had to make, and was shocked I made it at all after 20 tries, only to reach the next level and be done in 15 seconds. It's like living with Two-Face!

TLDR:

Navigation – Some great and creative navigation with the color area switching. Some solutions took me a bit to figure out. However, some of the spikes are painfully inconvenient.

Visual – The level theme IS the visual style, and it works well. I like how your sack switches between planes.

Sound – Okay the music grated on my a little. It was all right at first, but after the hundredth repeat it grated my nerves trying to get pits to behave.

Gadgetry – Incredible gadgetry. Very unusual and very fun. Great stuff.

Glitches - No major glitches I noticed, or was aware of.

Story – N/A

Notes – Thank you for the sticker system. D: We need it!

----------------------------------

Shady, yours will be reviewed tomorrow. And yes, these are platforming levels. I may skip the Assassin's Creed level because, have never played ANY Assassin's Creed, I don't want to spoil anything. D :

LBP.ME KatoRegama

Level completed: 73%, Points required for next Level: 270
    Overall activity: 35.0%
    7 days registered 100 Experience Points 30 days registered 250 Experience Points 500 Experience Points
    PSN
    alistair26

Awwww, you didn't like it?

No problem though, thanks for playing and critiquing. I accept your criticisms, as they are criticisms that quite a few have made, a lot of the issues (such as the "no edge-jumping" whilst upside-down/at a right angle) are unfortunately caused by the necessities of logic. The one that you're stuck on - is that the one where the camera follows you? I'd say that level is one of the most difficult in terms of pure platforming. You get a relatively simple batch of levels after that, then a couple of tough puzzle based ones, then I start to mix things up a bit.

So I hope you do return to it one day, when you have time, that's if I've not ****** you off too much and caused you to buy another controller.

BTW, feel free to PM me your theories on how it works, if you wish. I'd be happy to tell you.

Once again, thanks for playing and giving a fair review.

28. Thanks!

Have to say you are really good at writing reviews.

If you wouldn't mind writing a review on my hidden objects level.
    http://lbp.me/v/jwddj1
    Has a pretty bad ratio of 2,600 plays to 373 yays (7 percent)
    I don't know if that means most people didn't like it or they just didn't bother to yay it.
    Either way I enjoy making them lol.

I've been making a new hidden objects level for awhile. It would great to know what you would like to see in my new game from playing the game I linked. The game I linked has a time limit while my new game will not. That's really the only thing I'm set on.

I know you have a back log, so no worries if you can't play it any time soon.

Thanks

30. Thanks!

PSN
    katoregama
    Blog Entries

@Ali-Star
    Nah. I don't get P'O'd very easily. Frustrated maybe, but I'm always willing to get back on the horse. As I said, the sticker thing is great, because I am often a VERY DETERMINED PERSON when it comes to finishing level, and even if I can't do it then, I will probably try later. And yeah, it's the one where the camera follows you. See, now I have to get by it, because the puzzle ones were great! There was an earlier level where the map was a spiral and you had to switch around the sides to activate the exit. That one I really liked a lot. It was more of a brain challenge than a 'wing and a prayer' challenge. XD

@Smurfy
    I'll add yours to the list. : D

LBP.ME KatoRegama

32. Thanks!

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast