BG1, PRELOAD BG2, PRELOAD

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
    Level completed: 52%, Points required for next Level: 389
    Overall activity: 0%
    100 Experience Points 7 days registered Created Blog entry 250 Experience Points 500 Experience Points
    PSN
    katoregama
    Blog Entries

Star Wars: Episode 5 & Metal Gear Solid 4 Act 1
    by shady0420
    Link: http://lbp.me/v/6hfq-c & http://lbp.me/v/je9ef3

You can deny it all you want, it's a platformer plain and simple. The essence of both of these levels is the same, so it makes my job a bit easier to simply say: You know your sackbots. I had to give the Assassin's Creed one a miss, but this is ONLY because I have never played Assassin's Creed, and I don't want any spoilers.

The sackbots themselves are well programmed, capable of changing weapons, altering enemy AI, rotating the camera, stealth killing, lightsaber fighting, jumping around, deflecting bullets etc. A huge amount of love is poured into the little guys, which is slightly disappointing when you don't get to use it. I encountered the same issue in both levels. After a brief foray of using my important skills, doing so became exhausting with the large number of enemies ahead that I just stopped giving a hoot, and force jumped my way ahead. And those little obnoxious flying guys need to stop following me.

MGS had a reasonably okay start, where you get to test out your stealth skills by jumping layers etc, but before too long there's a war going on, and nobody told you, and stealthing is impossible. I gave up trying and just hopped around enemy fire until I reached the scoreboard no longer caring about anything else.

The issue is that this is a biased perspective. I'm not a fan of Metal Gear Solid 4 OR Star Wars. I think Hideo Kojima has too much time on his hands and George Lucas should go back to eating his pancakes. Yes, the original Star Wars trilogy was good, but the moment they got racist undertones, I stopped caring. Most importantly, Luke Skywalker and Solid Snake are not characters I personally identify with, so running around as Mark Hammil or an old young clone sneak expert just doesn't have the same appeal as my shiny red hat and shiny green eyes bobbing around.

But we're here to review objectively. Is it good? Yes. The logic is swell. The levels are tight. Did I enjoy it? No. The visual style is too simplified, enemy tactics and placement is chaotic, and Darth Vader can go sit in the corner until he starts playing fair. You must be doing something right to have more than 10,000 plays, so that should speak for itself.

TLDR:

Navigation – Easy navigation but a bit too many functions. Why have a double jump AND a force jump?

Visual – Visual style is a bit too simplistic. Camera is zoomed pretty far back so I got lost at hectic moments.

Sound – Well, you can't go wrong with the actual music themes.

Gadgetry – Very good Sackbot programming and enemy AI.

Glitches - 3D tool in the Star Wars stage made it a pain to figure out what layers I could stand on at times.

Story – N/A

--------------------------------------

(And now that I've had a bit more time to type... XD )

I'm working backwards right now because I only just realized the queue puts the most recently queued ones on top! Silly me. Morris6267, I'll have a review for you tomorrow morning! I promise.

Smurfy's Hidden Objects: (Wild West Edition)
    by GreenSmurfy
    Link: http://lbp.me/v/jwddj1

I may have inadvertently demolished myself before playing this. My brain works in mysterious ways, but I can tell you how I got there! D : I'd just queued an awesome Train Roller Coaster level by the Iron Horse/Matthaniel, so that put me in an old west mood for this one. That plus there are cartoony stickers in LBP so I immediately thought of An American Tale: Fivel Goes West. Which may also have happened thanks to one of theClassiestHobo's levels. XD Point is, it got to the point where I couldn't stop thinking about Don Bluth Movies, so I fixiated on All Dogs Go to Heaven. So I opened my music folder on my computer and had "You Can't Keep a Good Dog Down" playing on repeat for the duration of the level.

Point is, I had an expression between joy and panicked anguish as I feverishly panned around the scenes looking for the loots whilst Burt Reynolds and Dom Deluise sang off key from my computer. It left me sweating, sighing, and panting for breath by the end, exhaling deeply as I sank back into the chair. It was like I'd invited an attractive caller to my private quarters, admired the tight-fitting, cut garments, served a bottle of champagne and roses, then asked them to put on a Land Before Time mask and sing Once Upon a December.

THIS HAS RELEVANCE! I SWEAR! What you have here is a very fine level. The controls are astute, the idea is classy, the music sets the mood, and then you're gazing at something Chuck Jones did in high school. When I saw the title, I really didn't know WHAT to expect honestly. Maybe platforming around an open range wilderness locating desert tarantulas, cow skulls, and kochina dolls for some arbitrary reason that could be arts and crafts related if not for the questionable addition of a live arachnid. Maybe we're delivering them to a goth kid in New Mexico.

The scenes are well put together, but some details seem really out of place. The strongest scene is the night-time campfire where you've got an actual old west scene with some cleverly hidden silhouettes. Then there's a scene with a giant rainbow chicken. Like going from Bo Bandit to Charlie B. Barkin, you can see the transition but there's a tremendous disconnect between. Is this a sideshow minigame stockade borrowed from a Lisa Frank notebook, or a cleverly disguised art gallery that has you sorting through moving images with a way to keep score?

My suggestion for future editions is to go with the latter. I was very impressed with the Night-Time cowboys. it looked really nice, and the objects there were really cleverly hidden. I passed by a fish there and told myself to remember it because hidden though it may have been, I was pretty sure it'd come up sooner or later. The other scenes seemed a bit too chaotic with arbitrary stickers dropped in to make things harder to find. It wasn't so much that the objects were smartly disguised as they were thrown in amongst clutter. Perhaps a good scene could be like a Texas Novelty Map with cities marked by little icons, and the objects you're looking for are IN some of those icons.

You get MAJOR PROPS for including Move Control options though. I spent a hundred bucks on the darn thing, so I'll take ANY excuse to use it.

TLDR:

Navigation – The name of the game. Navigate to icons, and hope your vision is up to par.

Visual – Scenes a bit too mixed. Some were really great, some a bit too cluttered.

Sound – I WISH I could say something relevant but... well.. you know. 'I've been bought and sold, through warm and cold, but ten to one I'll still be runnin' rackets when I'm old!'

Gadgetry – Good use of cursor gadgetry. I never had trouble selecting objects. Range was just right. Move controls GREATLY appreciated.

Glitches - N/A

Story – N/A

Notes – How about a Space Edition? : D Or an underwater one?

Legend of the Hidden (but not really) Battery
    by Morris6267
    Link: http://lbp.me/v/kn45b2

Whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat?

TLDR:

Navigation – Huh?

Visual – I just....

Sound – What?

Gadgetry – I mean...

Glitches - It's...

Story – I just....

Notes – Whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat?

Okay that would be my review if I weren't trying to be objective. This is a level I almost wanted to play twice just to see if indeed I just saw what I saw. If you're playing this for the first time you're playing for the level and the experience. If you're playing a second time it's because of Mr. Beaver (LOL @ Cheap Name). Obviously I don't want to spoil too much but Mr. Beaver wants to go to the moon, and he needs a battery to power his rocket. The battery is hidden (but not really) in a convenient temple of contraptions and spikes.

See, now I say that and it really sounds so bland. People are going to get an impression that this is Animal Crossing or something. The humor is really its own animal, and it's a Beaver. I can't tell you everything that "occurred" during my trek, but the parts I remember most vividly are of course the story scenes. I'm left with two different experiences. One I loves, and one I enjoyed but it gets horribly overshadowed by the movies. In essence, I think the cutscenes are TOO good, so much so that they make the fact that there is a level here obsolete.

So let's take a look at that level, shall we? It's a little on the short side, with obstacle mostly involving spikes, bounce pads, and switches. The good thing about the platforming here is that it's fresh. Now I'm going to be mean here (not to you) and say that a whole lot of the really "good" levels out there all use the same dang obstacles over and over with nothing different, and it bothers me. They have a lot of the launch yourself and grab to change layer or die going on. I hate those kinds of levels requiring unprepared split-second reactions. In the Temple here, it's not like that. The strongest advantage is pace. I was always able to get to the next obstacle without tearing my face off, and I never felt any solutions were too difficult to understand. I had a few moments where I had the epiphany that you had to hit some switches twice, so that was unusual, and I like it, even if I died a lot forgetting.

Now I'm going to warn you most everybody who compliments you or ravishes praise is not going to be doing so on your level. They're going to be praising you for Mr. Beaver. So you've kind of written yourself into a corner with this. Beaver is equal parts funny and seriously disturbing, so I'm left with a mixed a opinion. I liked him, but he utterly terrifies me. And I can't rightly say it doesn't matter because he was funny. It does. And when the strong point of your level is a TRUE beaver of insanity (and I thank you Pond Skater) it's time to look at the Frankenstein you've put together from afar.

The level is well crafted, simple, and utterly hilarious. I'm reminded of a webcomic I read called Gunshow. It's the most incredibly depressing and disturbing thing I've read. It's also funny. For one instance, this girl is taking her old dog Buster out to poop, and is put on trial for a life of sins the dog has committed. She wanders purgatory for five years, comes back, digs up the dog's body, goes drinking, and throws broken alcohol bottles at it. In word and deed, it's depressing, macabre, and troubling. But then you read it, and it's hilarious at the same time. That's what this level is like. A seriously disturbed resident with brain damage and a violent side wants to fulfill his hallucination and will kill you for it. I guess the hard lesson here is 'don't be bored' or else Mr. Beaver will find you (but not really).

TLDR:

Navigation – Some tricky but not unfair navigation. I was able to keep a good pace going the whole way through.

Visual – Visuals are very simple. Perhaps could use more decorative additions?

Sound – Sound works for the situation. No complaints.

Gadgetry – Some good, simple (relatively) gadetry. Cutscenes are the best part. Very animated and fun.

Glitches - Didn't find any so thumbs up.

Story – Funny story, hilarious characters, but quite disturbing at the same time. Story overshadows the level.

Notes – Kato & Mr. Beaver sounds like a terrible name for a sitcom. But I'd watch it anyway.
    Last edited by Kato; 06-05-2013 at 01:32 PM.
    I don't just review, I make levels too!

LBP.ME KatoRegama

Thank you so much! But wow, disturbing? That's... A bit off putting. xD But true. My characters tend to have some kind of psychological problems. Not really my intent but lolwhatever. Nevertheless I'm glad you found it hilarious. My favorite comedies are shows like South Park or Always Sunny, which I guess inspire my characters. So whatever. :P
    listen to New Slaves

3. Thanks!

Thanks for the review Kato

I was seriously thinking of doing a space edition, but decided to work on a road trip edition.
    Taking you through parts of the United States.
    The menu is a map of the US and you can click on any city'landmark at any time.
    After you find all the objects for a city you earn a post card sticker to place on the map to get points.

Really great feedback. It will help me with my next 1. I get what you mean by the disconnect between images because they don't relate to each other. It's really good that you liked the silhouette scene because the images I've worked on so far are more like that.

For the bar scene I purposely made the scene cluttered because it fit with the image. I'll definitely try not to clutter up the images for my next one.
    Last edited by Greensmurfy; 06-05-2013 at 06:31 PM.

5. Thanks!

100 Experience Points 7 days registered Created Blog entry 250 Experience Points 500 Experience Points
    PSN
    katoregama
    Blog Entries

Sometimes I realize, after hearting about 50 levels, that really I should only heart levels I absolutely would want to go back and play again. To me, if I give you a Yay, it means I enjoyed your level, love your stuff, good work. If I give you a Heart, it means you've published the next Dinosaur City: The Dinosaurs Strike Back, and whenever I get the urge, I'm probably going to go back and play it again. I guess there's something to be said about my tastes being askew from the normal, but hopefully you'll agree that there are several polished gems within the ClassiestDisplayCase of theClassiestHobo.

There's a lot of levels here, each arranged to a specific hub that makes up a set. You've got a hub for Movie Genres, Horror, and Storybook. I COULD cover them all, but if I spoke at length, I'd probably break my keyboard from wear and tear. So even though I only picked one from each to exaggerate upon, they're all pretty good, and you should go play them. I'm going to go through my top pick in each category, but mind you, I'm also doing this in reverse order from worst to best. Well... I say worst, but I mean is that #3 I like more than #1, and #1 I liked a little less than #2, but it's still my favorite, and MOVING ON....

MOVIE:

The item on display from this grouping is Space Invaders of the Third Kind. The level opens with you being abducted by aliens and forced to participate in their tests. So after blasting off into space you enter an area with Gravity Bubbles. The Gravity Bubbles are half of what made this level awesome for me. A full half. They're REALLY cool. The bubbles have centralized gravity specific only to within their range, so blue bubbles you can float around mostly weightless, and red you suddenly become dense and heavy, and there was a fat joke I was going to make but I'm going to be nice today.

The flow moves nicely between gravity regions, and the platforming is fun and creative. It's an easy concept that becomes extra sweet when you get to shoot gravity from your helmet, letting YOU control how far you fly, and where. But it doesn't stop there! The journey continues on the alien homeworld with a really fun attract-o-gel segment. You get to make your own little planetoids you can walk around on which I found to be immensely fun. The ending is a bit brief, but the gameplay is excellent!

HORROR:

A Scaremerican Tale: Phantom Goes west is a classic haunted house tale that follows the standard formulas and adds to them. It was hard to pick this one as my favorite one, since there's several in the Horror set I really liked. I chose this one primarily for the Trick-or-Treating segment where you are tasked to leave bags of doody on doorsteps, and toilet paper houses. I didn't take any personal pictures, but I actually made a little trick-or-treating costume to wear while playing this. And if your level is fun enough to get me to make a new outfit JUST for it, that tells you something.

A few obstacles are a bit prickly, but none detract from the spooky experience. I liked this one so much that there's only one element in this and one element in the Storybook pick that put in in my number 2 place. If you're dropping by the Haunted Tour hub, I recommend this one first, followed by Dracula, and then Santa.

STORYBOOK:

This one took first prize not just because I like crocodiles (though I do) but because it faithfully remembers the lighthearted fantasy of the original story and takes you to all its locations. From the Lost Boy's tree house to the Jolly Roger, Peter Pan's labyrinth is a richly crafted experience you can really have fun with. The level is divided into many different segment from the story starting with the nursery in London. Not only is the platforming fun, but some of the puzzles are really visually appealing. Capturing the shadow for instance was presented really well.

The look of the level is great, and the catharsis is the pirate ship at the end. Usually I find nit picks to whine about, and in this case my only nit pick was that it ended too quickly. XD I'd say it was the perfect length and visual style, and really an A+ level.

TLDR:

Navigation – Easy pathfinding and easy to understand puzzles. Some areas are quite spacious, meaning the camera is often zoomed a bit too far out, but this is negligible overall.

Visual – A fun visual style. If you dont mind me saying so, it makes me think of LBP1. In space invaders some shapes were a bit too complex and wouldn't load properly.

Sound – Good use of music and sound effects.

Gadgetry – Fun gadgets! Nothing incredibly crazy, but none of it needed to be. It all works well without overstaying its welcome.

Glitches - No major glitches I noticed, or was aware of.

Story – Cute stories for each. Very family friendly.

Notes – If you ever get back into creating, you ought to make a Disaster Move Genre level, a Jekyll and Hyde level, and an Alice & Wonderland level.

LBP.ME KatoRegama

Holy crap. I still don't know how theclassiesthobo works. Did he work on all of his levels from the start of LBP2 and publish them all at the same time? Or does he create really fast?

Either way, you've convinced me to play some of his levels.

EDIT: Oh I see now! Series and all that.
    Last edited by Kalawishis; 06-15-2013 at 03:45 AM.
    And the world...is electricity! And there's a lot inside of you! And there's a lot inside of me!

Care to check out my new level? It's hopefully not crap, but if it is I will try to defecalfy it. It is the first in a planned trilogy, and I want every subsequent installment to be better.

http://lbp.me/v/k0j4we

My levels, helpfully categorized for your convenience:
    The Good - The Bad - The Weird - The Frustrating - The Pretty - The Mobile

Yeah I have been playing LBP since LBP 1 released, I just never got on the message boards. I have about 9 levels on my moon that are done but still not published at all. They were at one time but I have to remove them to make room for these.

Kato, Thank you so much for reviewing my levels I appreciate it so much. You said some really nice things and I am really flattered because your stuff is so great too.

PSN
    katoregama
    Blog Entries

Haus
    by bonner123
    Link: http://lbp.me/v/k0j4we

I’m sure you had no doubts what kind of review I’d give you going in, so most of this is going to be things you already know, just put down in different, longer words. Did I like Haus? Absolutely. Did I love Haus? Most definitely. Is it the be all end all for me? No, but no such level exists for my notebook, excepting a few LBP 1 levels which is a whole different house entirely. (But the carpet has more dignity than I do, so take that as you will.)

To start I would like to lavish praise on your voice actor. I’m not sure if it’s you or someone else, but whoever it is did a really nice job. I cannot vouch for the accuracy of the German accent, not being German myself, but it was believable enough for me to accept. Somehow you’ve made the recorded lines less scratchy and low quality than I’d normally expect from a Playstation Microphone, which is a definite plus. I know generally those mics are terrible, so you must have gone through numerous tries to get this right. The dialogue is well written and hilarious, but to me veers a little close on the Portal side. While I commend it, be wary that Portal is sort of a touchy subject with its humor, and it’s hard not to compare HAUS to say, GlaDos or Wheately. Both are talking machines that want to kill you, and say so in funny ways. I would advise leaning more to the house side of things than the computer side of things if that makes any sense. The lines about not moving an Ottoman, or the carpet having more dignity are A+. Lines about I am going to kill you with my mechanical deathtraps are a step away from the cake being a lie all over again, and then it’s not just flattery, but a fandom appeal.

But we’re not here to criticize! Any criticisms at all are going to be nitpicks anyway, and if all I can do is nitpick, it means you’ve got me in a corner and I have little relevant to advise upon. So let’s instead go into something I REALLY like. And that awe-inspiring motif here is the visuals. Yes indeed, yes indeed.

Now everyone can just wave the little flag of “oooh looks pretty” all they want, and it does, but I have a better one for you. The design is not just intricate, it’s smart. It’s not just detailed, it’s outside the box. Wine glasses have wine, computers have keys, and even side facing televisions have moving pictures. I had to do a double take in one room to rotate the camera and observe a painting on a side wall. If I had a complaint in this department, it’s that all the detail is a double edged sword. Those who move along at the level’s good pace are missing out, and those that stop to take a look are never going to finish. In fact, for the amount of detail work you’ve got going here, the pacing is almost TOO good. I finished the level very quickly, and I know I missed out on a lot of visual surprises.

This is not my photo obviously, but look at that laptop. It’s got a screen, keyboard, DVI port, USB, numberpad…. And everything gets about that nitty gritty with its detail.

Platforming wise the obstacles are very clever, and they aren’t repeated. One of my biggest complaints with a lot of the super popular levels out there, is that they generally have the exact same obstacles all over the board, just slightly re-arranged and with a different look. Here, the environments are very tight, and the camera keeps close to your sackboy which is a HUGE HUGE HUGE plus in my book. Having a camera zoomed too far out can ruin an otherwise good level, so I thank you for keeping it personal, and taking the time to miniaturize the details to accommodate.

The obstacles were simple enough that I personally would not call the level challenging, but perhaps to some it may be. In fact I only had any vague notion of difficulty on one portion where you’re jumping over a swinging bar, and you must use the R stick to move platforms in and out to safety. It was a bit complicated for my uncoordinated fingers, but there was a good feeling of accomplishment after success. This is generally the case with every obstacle in this level. You can feel accomplished getting through difficult ones, and are rewarded by not having to go back through any. That another big complaint I have about a lot of Big Name levels; there’s no sense of accomplishment in obstacles. Yes, you’ve got your sackthing bouncing around and you expect them to grab something as they’re changing layers, and if you miss you die, and if you make it, you just keep moving with a sigh. This level is much the opposite, in that it rewards you for going further by way of its varied rooms.

I have one more nitpick here, but this is a stylistic thing on my part. I found the lighting to be a wee bit harsh in this level. It sets the tone nicely, giving it a rusty, broken haze to meet the insane AI’s personality type, but it also made a lot of things look a bit washed out. It didn’t make a lot of sense to me, since several obstacles are in bright blue. I’m not even quite sure how to explain it, since I don’t think there are any filters being used. Just to me, the contrasts seemed a bit difficult to take in.

I think with good fortune and some decent PR this is worthy of an Mm pick, and I feel it’s only a matter of time before it receives one. The whole of the level is really top quality, and you can actually see how much time and effort has been put into this overall. I definitely have this hearted, and I definitely want to see more of the story unfold. I’m eagerly anticipating what new and creative platforming solutions you come up with for your future installments. And for anyone who hasn’t played it yet… why are you still here? Why are you still reading? Go get to a TV and play it! Play it, and laugh. Or be sent to the punishment zone.

TLDR:

Navigation – Easy to understand, and I had a few amusing ‘Ooooooh THAT’S why that barrier’s there’ moments. Fun platforming with a good camera view.

Visual – Insanely detailed with all sorts of décor and props to behold and wonder. Lighting seemed a bit harsh, but was acceptable. I think it might have been keen to disguise your Cross Controller wormholes a bit. They seem quite stock standard when compared to everything else.

Sound – Voice acting was hilarious and well written. I’m not sure I would have picked that music track to be playing for the level, but it worked.

Gadgetry – Good gadgetry with some fun uses of remote control objects. (I will move that ottoman if I darn well want to, you crazy computer!) One of my favorite parts was using a controllable barrier as a shield against in/out moving wall panels on a bridge over a pit of black metal.

Glitches - No major glitches I noticed.

Story – There’s not much setting up going on. You just are there in the house, and then bam the computer’s nuts. I think it might could have used a bit more buildup, or perhaps a slightly more obvious motive.

Notes – Haus is a great level, and the best I can give you is just a few superfluous nit picks, so take that as you will. XD I really commend the detail work. It’s inspiring, and I can only hope it sets a new high-bar for other creators to consider. It’s certainly given me one.

LBP.ME KatoRegama

Hi Kato, would you like to review my levels aswell?

PSN: ALPHA-OMEGA81
    Level name: Fantasy Adventure
    Link: http://lbp.me/v/ssweyv

There are 7 levels in all and they are all level linked.
    If you want to review just 1 level, that's fine aswell though.

Tags to describe Fantasy Adventure Saga: Story - Platformer - Simple Puzzler - Easy - Boss Fights

Thanks in advance

Thanks for the review! I did have some worries going in, namely that the humor would be offensive (despite all of the German testers saying it wasn't) and that the constant dialogue would break the pacing and flow of the level. I was also worried that there wasn't enough checkpoints. It's nice to see that my worries are negligible though!

Speaking of visual surprises, there are lots of nods to levels my friends made. For example, there is a picture of the two sponge cubes taken in Vermillion Grove. The obstacles that glow bright blue actually change color to match the person who is controlling it. I did this mostly for people who were playing multiplayer so people can determine who is in control without having to individually test it. Since my popit color is pink, it matches the color scheme of the level, so I wasn't aware of the contrast :P. I will look into better decorating the wormholes, but I'm not entirely sure what I can do aside from adding a sticker or two.

The person who did the voice acting is my friend SLS10, and he does voice acting in almost all of my levels (some of which aren't serious, but hey!). I do hope he actually gets proper training and such because I think he would make a good, professional voice actor should he want to.

Thanks for the really kind words though, it means a lot. The next part is where things start making more sense (and as such, weirder). Hopefully I can get it done by October or so.
    Last edited by bonner123; 06-16-2013 at 06:56 PM.

I know that you're already going to play The Happening World, but could you review it as well? Thanks.
    And the world...is electricity! And there's a lot inside of you! And there's a lot inside of me!

Hey! I have another request for a level that isn't mine! I'm curious to know what you think about this level: http://lbp.me/v/mesth7 . Almost all of the voice acting was done by SLS10, who also VA'd HAUS. I also want to keep this thread alive! :P

KATO!

Hi der. You may know me, and that is awesome. I'd like you to review one of my levels, if not a few (Or even all of the ones in my signature ;D). I do platformers, you see. (Except for the Starship one, that's kinda for roleplaying) And your reviews are completely fantastic. I'd love to dedicate a day of my time to read one of your reviews for one of my levels, so would you mind reviewing one? You give great reviews from what I've seen, long and non-sugarcoated. So if you could check this one out;

http://lbp.me/v/mbyn80/activity

"Forgotten Playground"

And maybe some of the ones in my signature, that'd be fantastic, dood.

Thanks
    A computer cannot say if art is amazing or not, only a human can.

You know what the cool cats do? No? They look at Radio447's levels.

The Magician's Platformer
    Forgotten Playground [Beta Stages]
    Da Vinci's Peregrination
    Space Panda's Starship [Soon to be updated]

"Dood" is my thing, dood.

PSN
    katoregama
    Blog Entries

I'll get to these as soon as I can. I only just finished the Fantasy Adventure. XD

LBP.ME KatoRegama

PSN
    katoregama
    Blog Entries

Fantasy Adventure
    by ALPHA-OMEGA81
    Link: http://lbp.me/v/ssweyv

For those who don’t know me, I have a very unfortunate mental infection; I play the Sims 3 a lot. A LOT. It’s not a game it’s a disease. A disease where you pay Dr. EA to get even sicker with their ridiculous transactions. And yet despite me knowing it’s a bad thing, a TERIBLE THING, every time they release a new town, or a cow plant, I always find myself plonking around with Sims 3 to test the new kit.

There is a reason I’m starting a review talking about my bad habits. It’s because the best thing about Sims, if you’re a person like me, it’s that it lets you create stories about people’s lives. And I am nothing if not a storyteller. So as I started Fantasy Adventure, I fell victim to creating a story of my own, and vanished from the word processor for longer than I intended. So! Fantasy Adventure then.

I think there are two terms which best describe Fantasy Adventure, and I again want you to know that I prefer reviews to be honest. These two words are ‘Enjoyable’ and ‘Inconsistent’. Out of the seven levels there were parts that were cleverly arranged, fun, and looked very nice, and parts that did not. There were cutscenes with action and clever programming, and scenes where everybody just stood in one place with the camera zoomed way far out so you really didn’t know what was going on. I felt that this trend continued on a downhill slide throughout the level series as by I reached the Final Boss, I felt that you, as a creator, were getting tired of it all. I mean let’s face it, after Level 2 in the forest, there’s really not much beyond that quite as keen.

Don’t mistake my words as harsh though. There is that first word “enjoyable”, and there is quite a lot to enjoy here. You’ve got a pretty funny story that combines both LBP tongue-in-cheek references and fantasy adventures. There are things I think can be improved, yes, but that’s all levels. I do send my appreciation out to you for creating a continuous story I can follow, and for having good navigation.

That said, here are my biggest complaints. One, checkpoints. Double or infinite please. And more of them. One after every big obstacle. Several of the levels towards the end, starting with the desert, the platforming got a little hard and I had to repeat the level every time trying to bypass the obstacles. I’m not saying they were impossible, but as they say practice makes perfect, and unless they’re as easy as LBP1 obstacles (They’re not) you need at least a double at every turn. If there’s one thing I’ve found players not liking it’s re-treading after dying. If there’s not a checkpoint past the slew of electrified ceiling grabs, and they have to repeat the same obstacle again and again, then there’s no sense of forward progress. You lose that momentum, you lose the interest.

My second biggest complaint is the design. Some of the design work is great. (See the forest.) Some of it is disappointing. (See the final boss.) This goes back to that inconsistency though. But I can’t rightly judge this in that though, and I’ll tell you why.

When I play Fantasy Adventure, what I see is potential. Without wanting to toot my own horn, it’s exactly how I feel playing my original Crystal Crisis 1 levels. With Fantasy Adventure you can see there’s been a lot of work involved, a lot of feeling around in the dark, a lot of testing the waters, and a lot of learning how to do things. I don’t think it’s bad. It’s actually quite good! But it’s around the middle point of good, and there’s plenty of room for improvement. My suggestion is to be proud of what you’ve done, consider making a Fantasy Adventure 2, and then after that go back and play FA1 and see for yourself. You’ll find the best way to learn is to try, and by the time you go back later you’ll probably see your own good ideas, bad ideas, and anything else. So don’t be disheartened. I give FA a recommendation.

TLDR:

Navigation – Only a few points where the paths were unclear, but I enjoyed the free roam of the second level the most. A lack of checkpoints, and an unforgiving checkpoint system coupled with some difficult obstacles in the later acts makes it a bit hard on the player.

Visual – Good visual design, but I felt the sets were too big. (I do that too. XD) You can accomplish a lot by tightening up the landscape. Less distance to walk is not going to ruin it.

Sound – Music worked, with some unusual but effective choices.

Gadgetry – Fun but simple gadgetry. Most impressive was the leading sequence of events with cutscenes which was neat.

Glitches - No major glitches I noticed.

Story – Story was good. A little bit ‘generic fantasy’ but the title alone tells you that.

Notes – In Edenia Griever flew away on a box. I was elated to see it return in the next level once, and disappointed it was never seen again. D: Griever X Box = OTP. THEIR LOVE IS PURE!!!!

LBP.ME KatoRegama

Thanks for the review and I really respect your opinions on my levels.
    I started Fantasy Adventure Chapters 1 and 2 in LBP1.

After I've got LBP2 I was already at Chapter 3 and later I desided to update the 'cut-out' characters fom Chapter 1 with sackbots
    and like Chapter 2, changed the music where necessary.

As for the rest of the Chapters, I really didn't want to repeat with the same kind of levels. That's why I only have one level like Chapter 2.

The last Chapter however, I wanted it to be a straight forward boss fight. Nothing more, nothing less.
    I agree that it looks not all that great, but trust me when I say that I really spend ALOT of time with it to get it right.
    And you know how much the thermo can be a pain in the butt...

Again thanks alot for taking the time to play my levels.

EDIT:I Replaced every checkpoint for an infinite one and placed a few extra ones.

Funny thing is that in the beginning, they all were infinite ones, but I've replaced them with singles or doubles. Probably shouldn't have done that...
    Last edited by AlPhAoMeGa81; 07-06-2013 at 04:40 PM.

PSN
    katoregama
    Blog Entries

Kalawishis's The Happening World (Funny Film) (By Kalawisis)
    by Kalawishis (and Kalawisis who apparently did all the work.)
    Link: http://lbp.me/v/me118c

I should've taken pictures, but I didn't. I guess I'm fired. *explodes*. I am no stranger to internet lingo. I know LOL means laugh out loud, ROFL is rolling on floor laughing, and TROLOLOL means there's lol's with trolling involved. I'm not certain of the origin of the Troll, only that I believe it comes from the word CONtrol, or possibly PAtrol. I'm not sure. I do know that the iconic Trollface originated from somebody poorly copying an image from Mighty Mouse. The modern internet age is a time of Lolcats, Roflopes, Memes, and Trollfaces, but then there's the lower key, more intelligent variety with dry wit and classical treatments. It brings back memories of Fawlty Towers, and Black Adder, and other good british comedies.

The Happening World teeters on the edge of both, never quite falling in with either crowd. It's presented as sort of a Monty Python meets Encyclopedia Dramatica crossover, only set in a LBP world. The skits flow nicely into each other, with non-sensical situations being a highlight. Watching this, it's easy to find favorite parts, or select favorite skits. Some I felt were really good and triddle dee dee, while others just sort of meh'd on by. The film had a particularly strong opening, which cut itself short very quickly, and got quite a few laughs out of me. It was the unexpected event which made the scene, as is the case with much of the skits.

Obviously from the description, some scenes are 13+. In fact most of them are. In fact quite a few of them have questionable content, so It's not a film for everyone. I personally am not offended by anything in it, as I'm casual enough to shrug at most things. I take the Avenue Q approach to life; aware that it sucks, but you can still get by. However, not everyone shares that philosophy to that should be kept in mind. In particular the Obama in Venice segment, while hilarious, is most likely going to upset some folks.

There's not much else I can offer. As this is a movie I can't really comment on controls or navigation. The stories are funny, with some fun lines and quirky humor. I would recommend it, but not to everyone.

TLDR:

Navigation – N/A

Visual – Cute designs. Characters were easily distinguishable, as were the different set locations. I didn't get that the lady was in an outhouse at first, but this is due to a trim on the wood material.

Sound – Music worked. It was a bit uncanny for the button to have voice acting out of nowhere. I think it would be best to make it all-or-nothing. Either get voice acting for everyone, or no one. Personally I found no complaint with the default voices. They all seemed to fit. Lol @ Obama in Venice. Oh-bama....

Gadgetry – Good sackbot acting. The movements were nice and fluid and the events were well timed.

Glitches - N/A

Story – The Board of Directors scene was my favorite. The biggest jerks often make the best comedy in my book. WHICH COULD BE WHY YASSEN WAS MY FAVORITE SACDROID CHARACTER. XD

Notes – In the Happening World 2 you need to make of of TV reporters. XD

LBP.ME KatoRegama

20. Thanks!

Will leave detailed thanks when my keyboard works.

EDIT: AND HERE IT IS!

Firstly, I think "troll" came from the word "troll".

Secondly, this is the longest review I've gotten on this film and comes with all the strangeness and silliness you could expect from Kato. I do agree with you that some scenes were pretty weak (the broccoli fairy joke wasn't told very well, making many people not "get" it, as well as some jokes not being strong in general) but I do like how you found other scenes funny. I never looked at my own film as a sort of mix between flashy internet and dry British humor, but now I see it clearly, with all the references to memes being the former and lines like "Nobody conquers Switzerland my a*s" being the latter. I guess you have a way with levels (this also shows in SackDroid review; "the individual parts are greater than the whole" summing up the level well).

Thirdly, I don't think you got the under 13 joke from my level thread. I think if you read when I said that more clearly you'll get it. It's one of those things that's meant to make people do a double take.

Fourthly...you LIKED Yassen? Oh God, I hate that guy. I cringe at all of his scenes because I don't find them scary or funny, and my voice acting makes him sound like a homosexual that just inhaled a helium balloon. Oh well.

Thanks for the review. I may take your suggestion. Hmm...yeah, I've got it!

The Workaday World (Funny Film)

Just a silly film about journalists, anchors, networks, and the lengths they'll go to to bring you the Big Scoop. If it bleeds, it leads, and here there is no exception!

I suppose that's why there are so many Bomb Survivals, Mortal Kombats, and other violent levels on the Cool Pages.
    Last edited by Kalawishis; 07-12-2013 at 10:43 PM.

Wow man, nice work!

I would really appreciate a review my Zombie Onslaught level. It was a very tedious solo project and I am curious about your opinion of it and if you encounter any glitches. So far I have not received very many reviews, and I would like as many perspectives as possible. I believe I have come to the right place, right?

Here is the link to the forum post so you can see what other people have said about it:

PSN
    katoregama
    Blog Entries

I'm back from the dead so yes I guess that I appropriate for the Halloween season.

I have a lot I need to finish, and I promise I'll get to it! I have a review half-finished of one of Bonner's levels. (I had to play it twice.) And I have several half-finished contest prizes. And two half-finished levels. Nyaaaaaaaaugh. D:

Esmerelda! Eleventy: Esmerelda Towers
    by Giant_Robot77
    Link: http://lbp.me/v/mesth7

I'm not going to post what I was originally writing here because looking back it was a train of thought that has long since derailed. And let's face it, that's to be expected in this case. This level had me going 'Huh?' 'What?' 'How the-?' all the way through and you should totally play it. No really. Go ahead. Your reaction will probably be the same.

My first impression was that this level was one big inside joke known only to the author and a close friend or two. But looking back, I'm no longer convinced of that either. It certainly has the feel of an inside joke with absurdist humor, bizarre characters, and Spoom. The humor is actually very adult, quite creepy, and yet at the same time is pulls off the old Animaniacs gig where the younger generations probably aren't going to get it. Like having a yaranaika next to a semi-phallic concierge.

This is not so much a level you play as it is a level you experience. My first playthrough I misses three whole floors (I'll come back to that) of content. If you just walk A to B like I did the first time, you're going to be left confused, bewildered, and basted in garlic salt. If you explore around, you'll still end up the same way, but I'm pretty sure you'll find out that being confused, bewildered, and basted in garlic salt is the whole point, and when you ask 'Huh?' 'What?' and 'How the-?' you'll do so because you're supposed to.

Okay, so I do have my problems with this levels, but it's hard to say if they're problems or not because pretty much any argument can be countered with 'Yes, that's supposed to happen' here. The first of which is the elevator. My first run through it went straight up to the top floor and I missed half the content. It moves a bit quickly, and I think ideally it ought to have a mechanism to stop on each floor. Maybe it does and I'm doing it wrong. My second complaint was the fat guy on the third floor who's erratic movements were a tremendous pain to get by sometimes. My third complaint is that some cutscenes tended to drag on a while, such as the mating dance and the raft death encounter. And finally (and once again I remind about that counter argument) there is no scoreboard. Yes, there is no score, but I'm left with a sense of defeat at my lack of accomplishment as is. Even if the ending boils down to 'You Die Game Over' I'd still prefer the finality of knowing that me and 300 other folks all share the same score of 0.

But despite petty complaints, none of them are problems without solutions, and none of them were make or break. If anything it was by design. It was certainly an original experience, but to my tastes I couldn't personally call it fun. To me, fun is merited to levels where I get a sense of accomplishment with my progression. Where I can enjoy a story or challenge without feeling like it's an exercise in bashing my face into a brick wall hoping eventually it will cave. It's actually a problem I have with a lot of the super-exquisite levels. They make them so hard that by the end I'm just left upset. If a level can go all the way through without making me upset, then I call it a win. I'm sure it's the reverse on my own levels. I play them so much I know them blindfolded and backwards and to a newcomer they can't be expected to know that the giant-laser-death-scorpion has a super specific pattern.

I can recommend Esmerelda Towers for sure, but with the caution that you may not understand it. I didn't, but it was funny, and it was at least functional. It has its own sense of humor and you may need to play it a few times to get into the proper attitude for it.

TLDR:

Navigation – Free-Roaming hindered by an uncooperative elevator, but the layout was simple enough regardless.

Visual – An absurdist design with characters designed to be intricate and complex as well as made of basic geometry. It's both appealing, and over-simplified. The vacant background makes it feel a bit empty and melancholy.

Sound – Voice acting is of course well done as would be expected. It mixed voices with gibberish in some places, but it seemed to work. Esmerelda is decidedly the most creepy thing ever.

Gadgetry – Aside from the elevator of ambiguous incontinence (because I couldn't tell if it was taking the ****) everything was working fine on both runs.

Glitches - If you miss jumping onto the raft at the end, you can't easily get back in it.

Story – The story itself is actually very simple and strange. Needless to say you are not a lucky sack-person.

Notes – The Prophetic Sponge was the best.
    Last edited by Kato; 10-25-2013 at 12:52 PM.

LBP.ME KatoRegama

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast