BG1, PRELOAD BG2, PRELOAD

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: Game of Thrones

Season 5 was pretty bad in comparison to other seasons. Can't believe what they did to my beloved Mannis.

OH MY GOD! I've lost my pants!

Level completed: 12%, Points required for next Level: 795
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    7 days registered 30 days registered 100 Experience Points 250 Experience Points 3 months registered
    PSN
    SnipySev
    Blog Entries

I have mixed feelings about S5 too. Not only because they're changing quite a few storylines for the worse, they're also overtaking the books. Now whenever something unexpected happens I don't know if something equivalent to it will happen in the next books, or if it's the showrunners diverging from GRRM's vision. And I have no idea if I want them to follow GRRM's plan faithfully or if I want them to make more changes. For one I don't want the show, a diluted adaptation, to spoil the books. But I also don't want the show to have a complete thematical shift a la Fullmetal Alchemist 2003.

If GRRM had kept writing instead of screwing around so much with tours and frivolous events and companion books and Wild Cards, this wouldn't have happened.

What I hated the most was how they butchered Dorne and Jaime's storyline. They turned the Sand Snakes into a joke. They cut out Arianne and her plan to make Myrcella Queen, which was actually credible and interesting (Dornish inheritance laws don't care about gender, so as the eldest sibling Myrcella has a right to the throne in their view). Replaced it with an incredibly crappy revenge attempt... From Ellaria, no less. She apparently forgot Oberyn's ideals. And to think that in the books, she speaks against taking petty revenge because it wouldn't bring Oberyn back.

Way to murder Jaime's character development. In the books he goes to the Riverlands to extinguish the last remnants of conflict. He learns to solve things not through fighting, but trough diplomacy. He redefines his image of himself. He learns to distance himself from his toxic relationship with Cersei and burns a letter from her begging him to come back. But hey, the stupid idiot viewers wouldn't find that introspection thing interesting, sooooo... instead let's have Jaime and his whacky friend Bronn sneak into Dorne and rescue the princess so he can get to bang Cersei again!

And then there's Sansa. Hey let's keep the part from the books where Littlefinger begins teaching her how to wield power so she won't be helpless ever again, and then drop that whole arc and force her into a situation where she's completely helpless and powerless again. Brilliant.

Sigh. They turned parts of this show into something that's not even fit for a B movie. And the thing that was supposed to appear in the last season's finale still hasn't appeared. At this point I wouldn't be surprised if they cut it from the show. The hell have they been smoking to screw this up this bad?

Hardhome and the modifications to Tyrion's story, now that's the kind of change I want to see. And at least they aren't cutting out Oldtown. I guess that's the silver lining.

Level completed: 73%, Points required for next Level: 270
    Overall activity: 35.0%
    7 days registered 100 Experience Points 30 days registered 250 Experience Points 500 Experience Points
    PSN
    alistair26

Quote Originally Posted by SnipySev View Post
    What I hated the most was how they butchered Dorne and Jaime's storyline. They turned the Sand Snakes into a joke.
    There were 2 good things about the Sand Snakes storyline.

Hardhome and the modifications to Tyrion's story, now that's the kind of change I want to see. And at least they aren't cutting out Oldtown. I guess that's the silver lining.
    Tyrion's story was awful IMO. Having him spend most of the time travelling across the land, via an unecessary diversion, to get to Dany, only for her to p**** off pretty much as soon as he gets there. Dany + Tyrion had potential. Tyrion sat twiddling his thumbs with Jorah and that other bloke, does not!

Level completed: 12%, Points required for next Level: 795
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    7 days registered 30 days registered 100 Experience Points 250 Experience Points 3 months registered
    PSN
    SnipySev
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ali_Star View Post
    Tyrion's story was awful IMO. Having him spend most of the time travelling across the land, via an unecessary diversion, to get to Dany, only for her to p**** off pretty much as soon as he gets there. Dany + Tyrion had potential. Tyrion sat twiddling his thumbs with Jorah and that other bloke, does not!
    Trust me, it's a lot better than what he does in the books. In A Dance With Dragons he travels through Essos to go meet Daenerys (although with different characters which apparently have been cut from the show) while doing nothing but drink and whine about his bad luck. He still gets kidnapped by J-Bear in Volantis, but they don't really escape the slavers in time to meet Dany. They are forced to perform in that big pit reopening but she gets spirited away by Drogon before she can notice them.

Then, when everything's in chaos,they finally manage to escape the slaver and enlist with the Second Sons for protection. They're still in a tricky situation though - Tyrion has to promise the leader of the Sons a ton of gold and lands from house Lannister so he won't take him back to Cersei for the reward. So he's basically stuck with the mercenary company for the time being.

Tyrion's arc in the fifth book is frustratingly slow and goes pretty much nowhere. In the show he at least got to meet with Daenerys, let her know that he's on her side. That "oh look those two characters are about to cross paths... psych! They miss each other just barely" was starting to get tiresome.

7 days registered 100 Experience Points 30 days registered 250 Experience Points 500 Experience Points
    PSN
    alistair26

So..... anybody else on here still watching this when it returns?

7. Thanks!

German Community Moderator CuriousSack's Avatar
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 0%
    100 Experience Points 7 days registered 250 Experience Points 30 days registered 500 Experience Points
    PSN
    CuriousSack
    Blog Entries

Oh yes! I nearly can't wait any longer! Here in Germany we will be able to watch it not before 27th I think. I confess that I'm a real fan of this TV show!

I'm afraid..."Winter is coming!"

Many greetings, Jürgen^^

9. Thanks!

PSN
    alistair26

Quote Originally Posted by CuriousSack View Post
    Oh yes! I nearly can't wait any longer! Here in Germany we will be able to watch it not before 27th I think.
    Well, you'll probably have to stay off the internet for a few days so you don't get spoiled.

11. Thanks!

PSN
    alistair26

EDIT: Sorry, double post - please delete.
    Last edited by Ali_Star; 04-22-2016 at 03:38 PM.

100 Experience Points 7 days registered 250 Experience Points 30 days registered 500 Experience Points
    PSN
    CuriousSack
    Blog Entries

Hahaha, if thats the only way to avoid to get spoiled, then I even would consider this!

14. Thanks!

Death to all spoilers, I say.
    Spoiler Spoiler - test

Last edited by jimydog000; 04-22-2016 at 09:39 PM.

THIS SENTENCE IS FALSE

16. Thanks!

PSN
    CuriousSack
    Blog Entries

Hahaha, thats dangerous! I just can't resist to open a spoiler if its called Spoiler - test!!

PSN
    alistair26

There are too many plotlines and locations in this show, they need to bring some of them together and make it more focused. Look at Better Call Saul - one of the best shows on TV at the moment. There's essentially only 2 plotlines, and the show really benefits from it. In GoT, you're bouncing from one location to the next, every ten minutes, and major story developments lack impact.

19. Thanks!

They said they want 2 more seasons and just 13 episodes http://variety.com/2016/tv/news/game...-8-1201752746/ so we must be approaching a point where the fragmented story starts pulling together for a conclusion.

21. Thanks!

There are too many plotlines and locations in this show, they need to bring some of them together and make it more focused. Look at Better Call Saul - one of the best shows on TV at the moment. There's essentially only 2 plotlines, and the show really benefits from it. In GoT, you're bouncing from one location to the next, every ten minutes, and major story developments lack impact.
    Ha Ha yeah, I count 6 - 9 POVs right now. Dissagre about locations though, drop Dorne and there are only 4 locations... plus Arya.

Quote Originally Posted by Rabid-Coot
    They said they want 2 more seasons and just 13 episodes http://variety.com/2016/tv/news/game...-8-1201752746/ so we must be approaching a point where the fragmented story starts pulling together for a conclusion.
    Two seasons, two books + some leftover from CoK. Nice.

THIS SENTENCE IS FALSE

23. Thanks!

PSN
    alistair26

Quote Originally Posted by jimydog000 View Post
    Ha Ha yeah, I count 6 - 9 POVs right now. Dissagre about locations though, drop Dorne and there are only 4 locations... plus Arya.
    Well there's:

Tyrion
    Dany
    Lannisters
    Nights Watch
    Bran
    Bronn (?)
    Boltons
    Sansa/Theon
    Arya
    Littlefinger
    (Probably more)

..... all in different places. That's more than 4 locations.

25. Thanks!

Well there's:

Tyrion
    Dany
    Lannisters
    Nights Watch
    Bran
    Bronn (?)
    Boltons
    Sansa/Theon
    Arya
    Littlefinger
    (Probably more)

..... all in different places. That's more than 4 locations.
    I presume that Tormund and the Wildlings might become a viewpoint soon too.

Spoiler Spoiler - Also
    OH MY GOD! I've lost my pants!

27. Thanks!

PSN
    alistair26

Quote Originally Posted by butter-kicker View Post
    I presume that Tormund and the Wildlings might become a viewpoint soon too.

Spoiler Spoiler - Also
    Spoiler Spoiler - Also

29. Thanks!

Level completed: 77%, Points required for next Level: 164
    100 Experience Points 7 days registered 250 Experience Points 500 Experience Points 30 days registered
    PSN
    sir_monacle

Will Curious sack join the fre- Okay, I'll go now.

signature 2016: "2016 yet I'm still using a PlayStation 3...." --sir monacle

signature 2017: "The more you struggle with something, the more rewarding it feels to finish it." --sir monacle

31. Thanks!

On the next Game of Thrones.

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 LastLast