BG1, PRELOAD BG2, PRELOAD

Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Post LBPC Contest #11 - Buddy Building

Hello LBPCentral!

I've now gotten the honored privilege to announce LBPCentral's 11th Crown Contest!

Welcome to the latest LBPC Contest. First though we would like to say farewell to Missi_Cat who is leaving the Crew. A huge thank you to her for everything she's done. We'll all miss her!

Now without further ado, on with the contest!

“My parents always said I should make new friends!”

You’re good at making new friends, right? Great, because that’s exactly what we want you to do for this contest. This time we're focusing on the beauty of friendship as you're asked to create a level that features cooperation between yourself and a purpose-built friend!

The task is to create a level which in true “Buddy System” style can’t be completed without teamwork between yourself and a friend, and not just any friend, but one you built yourself. So get out your drawing board and fire up your imagination! What kind of artificial intelligence will you go for? It could be a sackbot, drone, a can of pop-fizzler…anything! Just be sure to make your companion interesting and full of character! After all you’re going to be spending quality time together…

The contest will focus not just on mechanics (although there is huge potential for their demonstration) but also on character creation, communication and artistic style... hopefully, something for everyone.

The winner will be awarded a Crown and an LBPC Pin and up to 2 runners up will be awarded a $20.00 PSN card each (or its nearest equivalent in other currencies).

Building requirements

• The task is to build a level that focuses on team work between yourself and a ps3 controlled character (an NCP essentially). You and the artificial intelligence should not be able to complete the level without each other’s help.
    • The artificial intelligence (AI) you make must have an avatar of some sort, whether it be a mechanical drone, a sackbot or a hologram.
    • We must see some sort of interaction between your AI and the level. We don't physically have to see the interaction as long as it is implied. For example, we could see the AI pushing a switch for you, but equally we could see it being absorbed by a computer console and a screen flashes, both actions achieving the same effect of opening a door for the player.
    • We must also see interaction between your AI and the player. To give some examples, this could be anything from the AI defending you, providing light for you or it depending on you for transportation through the level.
    • Provide a method of communication between the AI and the player. This could take the form of speech bubbles, thought bubbles, pictures on screens or even pure speech if the creator has a microphone... or for those musical folk, communicate to us through short bursts of musical variety. In short be creative.... Your A.I’s personality is important to us, you want to make them likeable but not out of character for the situation presented in the level. Are they calm and calculating, fragmenting and confused or humorous? Your call.
    • Provide a backstory for your AI companion, how were they built, why are you both here together in the level? Get us to be emotionally invested in your character.

Rules

• Create an original previously unpublished level of any genre (except movies - see below) based on the contest theme.

• The level must include gameplay so no movie levels, please! It can contain cutscenes.

• One level slot/thermo per entry.

• All entries must be playable in LittleBigPlanet 2 only. No cross-controller levels. Wormholes (and other cross-controller DLC) within a level without using the cross-controller functionality are allowed, however.

Publish your levels between 20th and 28th July (final deadline is 11.59 pm GMT on 28th July) and include the text “(LBPC11)” in the title of the level.

• Post LBP.me links to your levels in this thread, so we’re sure not to miss them!

• You can only submit one entry.

• After the deadline, do not republish. Levels republished after the deadline will be disqualified. Exceptions may be made for quick fixes with respect to level titles, description, badges, or major game-breaking fixes, but only with the prior consent of the contest crew. If you need to request an edit, please post in this thread and send me a PM.

• Last but not least, have fun, play fair and respect other creators, LBPC members, Judges and Staff! (Contestants banned from LBPC at any time during the period of the contest are automatically disqualified from it)

Also a little Handy FAQ for you all

Q: Can I enter a previously published level?
    A: No.

Q: Can I enter a level I already have on my moon, but hasn't yet been published?
    A: Yes.

Q: Once I've published my entry, can I republish it?
    A: You can republish it during the publishing window as many times as you like, but mustn't republish after the deadline.

Q: When will the judging begin?
    A: The judges may take a look at some levels prior to the deadline, but the judging proper will not begin until after the deadline.

Q: When will the results be posted?
    A: We can't really give any accurate answer to this, but it will be no more than a month after the judging begins.
    LBPC Contest Crew

• biorogue • Dav1d0 • Jauw • Pookachoo • Shadowriver • shropshirelass • thespacemonkey187
    Last edited by Jauw; 07-15-2013 at 11:05 PM.
    Alley of Hollows MM Picked!
    Midnight In Paris MM Picked!
    Administrator of TearawayLand
    Adminstrator & Blogger of SackomediaBlog
    LittleBigPlanet Central Contest & Spotlight Crew Member

This theme is awesome!
    Is this for LBPV too, or only LBP2? (sorry for my bad english)

Sackperson Sergeant Lord-Dreamerz's Avatar
    Level completed: 67%, Points required for next Level: 473
    Overall activity: 0%
    7 days registered Created Album pictures 100 Experience Points 250 Experience Points 30 days registered
    PSN
    fumetsusozo
    Blog Entries

In before a ton of people think of "Companion Cube"

If you hear any screaming from the Companion Cube. It's just your imagination. So ignore it. *mew
    ~Lets go on a fantastic ADVENTURE!~

WooHoo!! Contest time again. Good luck to everyone!

Hey Cakito! Glad you like the theme! Sorry but this contest is only for LittleBigPlanet 2

7. Thanks!

Seems interesting, I've had several ideas like this in the past. I'll consider giving it a go!
    http://lbp.me/v/c4vn6b
    Idgo likes:
    1. Broccoli.
    2. Unicorns.
    3. Music.
    4. H4H (Hug4Hug, not that...other H4H...eww...)

Quote Originally Posted by Jauw View Post
    Hey Cakito! Glad you like the theme! Sorry but this contest is only for LittleBigPlanet 2
    Ooooh. I can't enter, then.
    Waiting anxiously for a LBPV contest!

Hmm... It looks awesome! And it is going to take my vacation!
    Something is telling me to enter on this! Maybe yes, maybe not...
    Does "the Helper" need to be controlled? I read that rule, but I didn't understand at all... What if it only assists the main character?
    Like this:

http://lbp.me/v/yfh205

What about hte current v1.24 bugs? Aren't they going to be a problem on this contest? I mean... I was having problems with the gates on the Opposite setting, they weren't working as desired.

Good luck to everybody on this contest!

I still need to finish my time travel level that I started for the last contest

I've been too busy for LBP for a while but I will do my best to make something for this.

Quote Originally Posted by cakito123 View Post
    Ooooh. I can't enter, then.
    Waiting anxiously for a LBPV contest!
    Why not dude?

German Community Moderator avundcv's Avatar
    Level completed: 33%, Points required for next Level: 946
    7 days registered 100 Experience Points 30 days registered 250 Experience Points 500 Experience Points
    PSN
    AVundCV
    Blog Entries

Yay! Great idea

I don't get it why is this contest only for LBP2.

We could enter LBPV levels in the previous LBPC Contest without a problem. What happened?
    Last edited by Schark94; 06-16-2013 at 09:59 PM.

Dont think ill be entering this one, but lots of luck to all of you that decide to! Im sure theres going to be tons of crazy entries!

Quote Originally Posted by IAGUITO21 View Post
    Hmm... It looks awesome! And it is going to take my vacation!
    Something is telling me to enter on this! Maybe yes, maybe not...
    Does "the Helper" need to be controlled? I read that rule, but I didn't understand at all... What if it only assists the main character?
    Like this:

http://lbp.me/v/yfh205

What about hte current v1.24 bugs? Aren't they going to be a problem on this contest? I mean... I was having problems with the gates on the Opposite setting, they weren't working as desired.

Good luck to everybody on this contest!

Your buddy does not NEED to be controlled, but you will NEED your buddy to complete the level.

If you're talking specifically about controlling, you can say that you're controlling a Sackbot. Especially if you are recording Sackbot animation. Or doing Sackbot A.I. (Tag/Tag Sensor logic system)

LBPCentral Spotlight CrewLBPCentral Spotlight Crew shropshirelass's Avatar
    Level completed: 98%, Points required for next Level: 36
    7 days registered 5000 Experience Points 1000 Experience Points 500 Experience Points 250 Experience Points
    PSN
    shropshire-lass

Jauw's right. When the rule refers to a PS3 controlled character that's just to distinguish it from a player. It just means an NPC - in other words, this contest isn't a contest involving co-op action between two players but between a player and some kind of AI. Hope that's clearer. :)

EDIT:

Quote Originally Posted by Schark94 View Post
    I don't get it why is this contest only for LBP2.

We could enter LBPV levels in the previous LBPC Contest without a problem. What happened?
    Well, sadly, we only had 5 entries for the Vita side of LBPC10 and PLCC5 which was dedicated solely to LBPV only had 4 entries. Those sorts of numbers just don't make a Crown contest sustainable, I'm afraid. :(
    Last edited by shropshirelass; 06-16-2013 at 10:22 PM.

LBPCentral Spotlight CrewKeyholder of Imagination L-I-M-I's Avatar
    Level completed: 15%, Points required for next Level: 854
    7 days registered 30 days registered 100 Experience Points 250 Experience Points Created Blog entry
    PSN
    L-I-M-I
    Blog Entries

Too pretty cool, maybe I'll whip something up, won't be a winner :P but maybe I can squeeze it into an idea tthat's been moving me towards create again. Now to find time good luck every1

First of all... thanks for the new contest. I actually thought i would be waiting longer till the next contest, so bravo and a high five to all those involved

Once ive finished my current level (out in 2 weeks) i will most definitely enter this.

It will be my last level and im going to throw everything into this!

Good luck to everyone. May the force be with you...even if you don't like Star Wars
    The Crown! I want that Crown...

A new contest! Well, too bad I'm going in vacations for two weeks, because I won't be online... Guess it will give me some time to think about a great idea that I'll have to rush after!

LBPCentral Spotlight CrewLBPCentral Spotlight Crew biorogue's Avatar
    Level completed: 88%, Points required for next Level: 229
    Overall activity: 28.0%
    7 days registered 1000 Experience Points 500 Experience Points 250 Experience Points 100 Experience Points
    PSN
    jester946
    Blog Entries

Good luck to all who enters! I cannot wait to see what you guys come up with.

Follow me on the twitterz @bioswoop

Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 ... LastLast