BG1, PRELOAD BG2, PRELOAD

Results 1 to 6 of 6
  1. #1

    Default Forgotten Playground (BETA)

    Hi! I'm Radio447, a Platformer creator, and I recently released a level that is in it's Beta stages for a number of reasons.

    http://lbp.me/v/mbyn80

    The level is roughly based off the idea of a playground, but it is ironically displayed as playgrounds are considered happy places. Sackboy is thrust into a city in decay. Abandoned factories still run, leaving smog and pollution in the air. The city has a low budget, explaining the abundance of cardboard and other poor materials in the level.

    Anyways, I'd really like some people to try it out, I know it isn't F4F or anything, but I'd like some ideas on how to improve it. Also- now to the reasons about why it's in it's "Beta" stages.

    You see, the level was anticipated to be much longer than it is at the moment. I like making long platformers- it's kinda my thing. But then an unexpected Guest came along- the other side of the map. I decided I'd publish what I had so far, and get the community's idea on what to do from here. Here are the options I've thought of.
    -Leave it as-is? (Create a scoreboard for a better ending?)
    -Create another level, using a level-link to guide them on?
    -Continue the level but use a wormhole to get to another part of the map? Possibly just drop down into a lower level of the city?

    So if you guys could help me out with that, it'd be completely fantastic. Thanks!

  2. #2
    ITS ALIIIIIIIIIIVE! Burnvictim42's Avatar
    Points: 38,312, Level: 60
    Level completed: 39%, Points required for next Level: 738
    Overall activity: 0%
    Your First Group 10000 Experience Points 5000 Experience Points 1000 Experience Points 500 Experience Points
    PSN
    Burnvictim42
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    California
    Posts
    3,100
    Blog Entries
    4

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Radio447 View Post
    Hi! I'm Radio447, a Platformer creator, and I recently released a level that is in it's Beta stages for a number of reasons.
    Hi Radio447, i'm Burnvictim42, and I recently received a request for some feedback... so here it is

    Quote Originally Posted by Radio447 View Post
    The level is roughly based off the idea of a playground, but it is ironically displayed as playgrounds are considered happy places. Sackboy is thrust into a city in decay. Abandoned factories still run, leaving smog and pollution in the air. The city has a low budget, explaining the abundance of cardboard and other poor materials in the level.
    I like the theme of the level you've explained... but I didn't really get the connection just playing it on its own. As I played through the level, I wondered to myself why this wasteland city was forgotten, and why I was now going through it on my own. It looks very much like a city in decay (aside from the neon bevel material, which I thought was a little odd), but I didn't understand the set up, which will probably be explained a little more in the level text when this is out of beta.

    The boxes you have scattered throughout the level are nice secrets. They blend in fairly well, and I had to keep a watchful eye out to find some of them, but I didn't initially realize that they were secrets. You may want to consider adding a R1 sign to the first box, and making it a little more noticeable so that everyone is guaranteed to see it and understand that it's not just a box. You may also want to consider adding a secret tracker to the end, which can add a lot of replay value as players search for the last box that they missed.

    The platforming is well done, and presents a challenge, but is not overly difficult. There are two areas that i'm not a real big fan of though: the slide, and the tire spin. The slide doesn't have a ton of friction inside the tubing, and as a result both playthroughs of that part ended with me just kind of sitting in the piping, and having to jump out. It just seemed a bit of a weird transition, and I think it would work better as just a chute of some sort if you want to keep with the tubing idea. The tire spin works fine, but as it is I think it may be a little too fast for some players. The speed it is going at now leaves very little room for error to move from one tire to the other and then out.


    Quote Originally Posted by Radio447 View Post
    You see, the level was anticipated to be much longer than it is at the moment. I like making long platformers- it's kinda my thing. But then an unexpected Guest came along- the other side of the map. I decided I'd publish what I had so far, and get the community's idea on what to do from here. Here are the options I've thought of.
    -Leave it as-is? (Create a scoreboard for a better ending?)
    -Create another level, using a level-link to guide them on?
    -Continue the level but use a wormhole to get to another part of the map? Possibly just drop down into a lower level of the city?
    If you still have ideas that you'd like to explore in this level, I'd say go for it . You may be also be able to stretch the area you have to work with by doubling back, or editing some sections to add in descent/climb sections if you want to keep it in the same level.

    Quote Originally Posted by Radio447 View Post
    So if you guys could help me out with that, it'd be completely fantastic. Thanks!
    I don't think this feedback's been fantastic, but I sure hope it helped! Thanks for the level, and let me know if you need anything else

  3. Thanks!


  4. #3
    LBPCentral Spotlight CrewLBPCentral Spotlight Crew biorogue's Avatar
    Points: 90,219, Level: 93
    Level completed: 46%, Points required for next Level: 1,031
    Overall activity: 23.0%
    7 days registered 1000 Experience Points 500 Experience Points 250 Experience Points 100 Experience Points
    PSN
    jester946
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Great State of Texas
    Posts
    9,584
    Blog Entries
    25

    Default

    adding to the queue


    Follow me on the twitterz @bioswoop

  5. Thanks!


  6. #4
    Sackperson Sandro8708's Avatar
    Points: 15,611, Level: 37
    Level completed: 96%, Points required for next Level: 39
    Overall activity: 0%
    7 days registered 100 Experience Points 30 days registered 250 Experience Points 500 Experience Points
    PSN
    Sandro8708
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Switzerland
    Posts
    636
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default

    The idea with the wormhole is funny. Your lvl have good design!

  7. Thanks!


  8. #5

    Default

    Hey, I played this last night. I gave up at the bouncy cardboard piece, very near the start. The horizontal section of that platform is so small that I kept slipping off and could not coordinate my jump to get up to the ledge. It was really frustrating.

  9. Thanks!


  10. #6

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by aratiatia View Post
    Hey, I played this last night. I gave up at the bouncy cardboard piece, very near the start. The horizontal section of that platform is so small that I kept slipping off and could not coordinate my jump to get up to the ledge. It was really frustrating.

    I'm sorry to hear that. I'll adjust the corners and make it flat- as I was just giving it that shape for decor. I'll update that next time I'm on, and you can try it again if you're interested.
    A computer cannot say if art is amazing or not, only a human can.

    You know what the cool cats do? No? They look at Radio447's levels.

    The Magician's Platformer
    Forgotten Playground [Beta Stages]
    Da Vinci's Peregrination
    Space Panda's Starship [Soon to be updated]

    "Dood" is my thing, dood.

  11. Thanks!


Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •